Yow! I want to mail a bronzed artichoke to Nicaragua!

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined for keeping engines running

SubjectAuthor
* Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined for keeping engines runningSimon Mason
+- Re: Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined for keeping engines runningJNugent
+* Re: Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined for keeping engines runningSimon Mason
|`- MORE O-T TROLLING by May Sun: "Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined for keeping JNugent
`- Re: Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined for keeping engines runningSimon Mason

1
Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined for keeping engines running

<21304d52-2c21-4351-98f8-6937cca2cbf9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33971&group=uk.rec.cycling#33971

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 12:59:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined for keeping engines running
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 20:59 UTC

WELL DONE!

Taxi drivers in Brighton and Hove say they are being fined for keeping their engines running in order to keep warm while at taxi ranks.

Motorists in the city can now be issued with fines of up to £40 if they leave their vehicles running when parked.

The city council said it would not be issuing fines to taxi drivers keeping warm while at taxi ranks.

Brighton & Hove Cab Trade Association said wardens seemed to be unaware of these exceptions.

Andrew Peters, chair of the association, said: "I had a phone call from a driver who said he was on a rank in East Street at 06:30 and he was issued with a penalty notice for running his engine while trying to keep warm."

He told BBC Radio Sussex: "I had a driver who told me that he had a conversation with one of the wardens, and he had no idea [about the exceptions]."

He said some drivers may start to boycott taxi ranks in the city.

"The council is going to have to have common sense."

Tim Rowkins, Labour chairman of the city council's environmental committee, said: "We take a common sense approach to enforcement so there are exemptions including those which take into consideration severe weather and the health and safety of the driver or passengers."

He added: "However, taxi drivers seen idling their engines whilst stationary at a taxi rank with their windows open or vacant from their vehicle would be expected to comply with the instruction to turn off their engine, since the defence of keeping warm would not apply."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-67923067

Re: Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined for keeping engines running

<l09tvtFli0bU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33979&group=uk.rec.cycling#33979

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:25:01 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:25 UTC

On 10/01/2024 08:59 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> WELL DONE!
> Taxi drivers in Brighton and Hove say they are being fined for keeping their engines running in order to keep warm while at taxi ranks.
> Motorists in the city can now be issued with fines of up to £40 if they leave their vehicles running when parked.
> The city council said it would not be issuing fines to taxi drivers keeping warm while at taxi ranks.

I that case, the tickets will be cancelled on appeal (as well they
should be).

> Brighton & Hove Cab Trade Association said wardens seemed to be unaware of these exceptions.
> Andrew Peters, chair of the association, said: "I had a phone call from a driver who said he was on a rank in East Street at 06:30 and he was issued with a penalty notice for running his engine while trying to keep warm."
> He told BBC Radio Sussex: "I had a driver who told me that he had a conversation with one of the wardens, and he had no idea [about the exceptions]."
> He said some drivers may start to boycott taxi ranks in the city.
> "The council is going to have to have common sense."
> Tim Rowkins, Labour chairman of the city council's environmental committee, said: "We take a common sense approach to enforcement so there are exemptions including those which take into consideration severe weather and the health and safety of the driver or passengers."
> He added: "However, taxi drivers seen idling their engines whilst stationary at a taxi rank with their windows open or vacant from their vehicle would be expected to comply with the instruction to turn off their engine, since the defence of keeping warm would not apply."

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-67923067

Re: Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined for keeping engines running

<69d5197b-31b9-426b-8187-95c56068cd77n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33983&group=uk.rec.cycling#33983

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 03:58:03 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 11:58 UTC

QUOTE: He added: "However, taxi drivers seen idling their engines whilst stationary at a taxi rank with their windows open or vacant from their vehicle would be expected to comply with the instruction to turn off their engine, since the defence of keeping warm would not apply.ENDS

Are there any twats thick enough to have their heater running with their windows open?
Jesus H Christ!

MORE O-T TROLLING by May Sun: "Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined for keeping engines running"

<l0a3niFmishU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33985&group=uk.rec.cycling#33985

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: MORE O-T TROLLING by May Sun: "Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined
for keeping engines running"
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 12:02:58 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 12:02 UTC

On 11/01/2024 11:58 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: He added: "However, taxi drivers seen idling their engines whilst stationary at a taxi rank with their windows open or vacant from their vehicle would be expected to comply with the instruction to turn off their engine, since the defence of keeping warm would not apply.ENDS

> Are there any twats thick enough to have their heater running with their windows open?
> Jesus H Christ!

People whose car batteries are not fully charged and which may not
restart the engine whilst in that partially-discharged state?

Taxi-drivers who are trying to dispel the "aroma" of a previous
passenger (for example, a previous passenger who was a chav-cyclist)?

Re: Brighton and Hove taxi drivers fined for keeping engines running

<bc2c2381-7b63-4dac-9810-6919e174de3an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33989&group=uk.rec.cycling#33989

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 06:20:12 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:20 UTC

QUOTE:
He said some drivers may start to boycott taxi ranks in the city. ENDS

That's right, guys - hit the Council in their pockets where it hurts!
Oh hang on. :-0