If someone had told me I would be Pope one day, I would have studied harder. -- Pope John Paul I

aus+uk / uk.food+drink.misc / A Christmas story

SubjectAuthor
* A Christmas storyGraham
`* Re: A Christmas storyBrian
 `* Re: A Christmas storyGraham
  `* Re: A Christmas storyBrian
   `- Re: A Christmas storyGraham

1
A Christmas story

<0waxJ.197070$1d1.35206@fx99.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#34

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Subject: A Christmas story
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 19:46:20 -0700
 by: Graham - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 02:46 UTC

December 1943
My grandfather, ran an agricultural engineering company in Suffolk and
farmers could often be found in the kitchen sipping a whisky with him.
That was the way business was carried out in those days. My Mother was
living there as my Father was at sea, sailing in the transatlantic
convoys.
On this occasion, the farmer was worried that he had nothing to give his
children for Christmas as there was little to nothing available after
several years of wartime deprivation.
My Father had sent my Mother a carton of Hershey chocolate bars after a
stopover in New York.
So she gave the farmer a bar for each of his children. He was so
overcome that he almost burst into tears.
I’ve often wondered what the children’s reaction was.

Graham (Who was in utero at the time)

Re: A Christmas story

<sq42i6$ts9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#35

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Subject: Re: A Christmas story
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 09:06:14 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:UhzPlMa/Yha+KReT/epdEQ3CyIo=
 by: Brian - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 09:06 UTC

Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:
> December 1943
> My grandfather, ran an agricultural engineering company in Suffolk and
> farmers could often be found in the kitchen sipping a whisky with him.
> That was the way business was carried out in those days. My Mother was
> living there as my Father was at sea, sailing in the transatlantic
> convoys.
> On this occasion, the farmer was worried that he had nothing to give his
> children for Christmas as there was little to nothing available after
> several years of wartime deprivation.
> My Father had sent my Mother a carton of Hershey chocolate bars after a
> stopover in New York.
> So she gave the farmer a bar for each of his children. He was so
> overcome that he almost burst into tears.
> I’ve often wondered what the children’s reaction was.
>
> Graham (Who was in utero at the time)

It is hard to believe just how tough rationing was, including after the
war. I recall my older brother commenting seeing his first banana in the
early 1950s.

My dining Club has an annual Armistice Supper ( less formal than our
dinners). For a few years, the previous host found a book of recipes from
the WW1 period and asked the Chef to prepare a meal based on them. Being a
( very) good Chef, he was able to produce a very enjoyable meal although I
suspect even he cheated a bit.

Re: A Christmas story

<074yJ.129850$7D4.101672@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#37

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2021 13:19:06 -0700
 by: Graham - Sun, 26 Dec 2021 20:19 UTC

On 2021-12-24 2:06 a.m., Brian wrote:
> Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:
>> December 1943
>> My grandfather, ran an agricultural engineering company in Suffolk and
>> farmers could often be found in the kitchen sipping a whisky with him.
>> That was the way business was carried out in those days. My Mother was
>> living there as my Father was at sea, sailing in the transatlantic
>> convoys.
>> On this occasion, the farmer was worried that he had nothing to give his
>> children for Christmas as there was little to nothing available after
>> several years of wartime deprivation.
>> My Father had sent my Mother a carton of Hershey chocolate bars after a
>> stopover in New York.
>> So she gave the farmer a bar for each of his children. He was so
>> overcome that he almost burst into tears.
>> I’ve often wondered what the children’s reaction was.
>>
>> Graham (Who was in utero at the time)
>>

> It is hard to believe just how tough rationing was, including after the
> war. I recall my older brother commenting seeing his first banana in the
> early 1950s.
>
> My dining Club has an annual Armistice Supper ( less formal than our
> dinners). For a few years, the previous host found a book of recipes from
> the WW1 period and asked the Chef to prepare a meal based on them. Being a
> ( very) good Chef, he was able to produce a very enjoyable meal although I
> suspect even he cheated a bit.

When I ran errands for elderly neighbours, they would give me a sweets
coupon instead of a few pennies. I still have my last ration book.

Re: A Christmas story

<sqc6mf$9be$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#39

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 11:05:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:k2stRp6XNGV0lTIwkOVO3u2qJXM=
 by: Brian - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 11:05 UTC

Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:
> On 2021-12-24 2:06 a.m., Brian wrote:
>> Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:
>>> December 1943
>>> My grandfather, ran an agricultural engineering company in Suffolk and
>>> farmers could often be found in the kitchen sipping a whisky with him.
>>> That was the way business was carried out in those days. My Mother was
>>> living there as my Father was at sea, sailing in the transatlantic
>>> convoys.
>>> On this occasion, the farmer was worried that he had nothing to give his
>>> children for Christmas as there was little to nothing available after
>>> several years of wartime deprivation.
>>> My Father had sent my Mother a carton of Hershey chocolate bars after a
>>> stopover in New York.
>>> So she gave the farmer a bar for each of his children. He was so
>>> overcome that he almost burst into tears.
>>> I’ve often wondered what the children’s reaction was.
>>>
>>> Graham (Who was in utero at the time)
>>>

>> It is hard to believe just how tough rationing was, including after the
>> war. I recall my older brother commenting seeing his first banana in the
>> early 1950s.
>>
>> My dining Club has an annual Armistice Supper ( less formal than our
>> dinners). For a few years, the previous host found a book of recipes from
>> the WW1 period and asked the Chef to prepare a meal based on them. Being a
>> ( very) good Chef, he was able to produce a very enjoyable meal although I
>> suspect even he cheated a bit.
>>
> When I ran errands for elderly neighbours, they would give me a sweets
> coupon instead of a few pennies. I still have my last ration book.

I have a vague recollection of petrol coupons being issued - but never
being used- in the mid 70s when I was about 17. It may have been earlier
but I think I had some for my motor bike. I do remember petrol was 35p a
gallon when I was 17. I had a nasty accident and watched a tank full I had
just paid for spew across the road.

Certainly, in Apr 1980, one of the Secretaries where I was working sent a
memo on 1 Apr to several people attaching a few she had kept. It was a very
good April fool, I think there was some issue with fuel supplies at the
time so her timing was perfect. I still remember the wicked glint in her
eye ;-)

I think petrol was about 62p a gallon at the time. Not sure why I remember
that.

Re: A Christmas story

<wXkyJ.213808$ya3.160425@fx38.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=40&group=uk.food%2Bdrink.misc#40

Newsgroups: uk.food+drink.misc
From: g.ste...@shaw.ca (Graham)
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 08:27:21 -0700
 by: Graham - Mon, 27 Dec 2021 15:27 UTC

On 2021-12-27 4:05 a.m., Brian wrote:
> Graham <g.stereo@shaw.ca> wrote:

>>> It is hard to believe just how tough rationing was, including after the
>>> war. I recall my older brother commenting seeing his first banana in the
>>> early 1950s.
>>>
>>> My dining Club has an annual Armistice Supper ( less formal than our
>>> dinners). For a few years, the previous host found a book of recipes from
>>> the WW1 period and asked the Chef to prepare a meal based on them. Being a
>>> ( very) good Chef, he was able to produce a very enjoyable meal although I
>>> suspect even he cheated a bit.
>>>
>> When I ran errands for elderly neighbours, they would give me a sweets
>> coupon instead of a few pennies. I still have my last ration book.
>>

> I have a vague recollection of petrol coupons being issued - but never
> being used- in the mid 70s when I was about 17. It may have been earlier
> but I think I had some for my motor bike. I do remember petrol was 35p a
> gallon when I was 17. I had a nasty accident and watched a tank full I had
> just paid for spew across the road.
>
> Certainly, in Apr 1980, one of the Secretaries where I was working sent a
> memo on 1 Apr to several people attaching a few she had kept. It was a very
> good April fool, I think there was some issue with fuel supplies at the
> time so her timing was perfect. I still remember the wicked glint in her
> eye ;-)
>
> I think petrol was about 62p a gallon at the time. Not sure why I remember
> that.

I wasn't in the UK in then but remember the tight petrol supply during
the Suez Crisis. ISTR that learners were allowed to drive without an
accompanying qualified driver.