The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness. -- John Muir

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

SubjectAuthor
* Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning Simon Mason
+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warniJNugent
|+* Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warniPeter Keller
||`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warniJNugent
|`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warniSpike
`* Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warniSimon Mason
 +- Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warniSimon Mason
 +* Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warniJNugent
 |`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warniSpike
 `* Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warniSimon Mason
  +* Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warniSimon Mason
  |+- Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warniJNugent
  |`- Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warniSimon Mason
  `- Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warniJNugent

1
Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<ea7eb4ed-f422-427c-9520-a47eb94f1315n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33965&group=uk.rec.cycling#33965

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 08:43:58 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Near_Miss_of_the_Day_886:_Fast_close_pass_at_pinch_p
oint_–_driver__gets_warning_letter
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:43 UTC

Pretty much anyone who rides a bike in Britain’s towns and cities will know the feeling – you’re approaching a point in the road where the carriageway narrows to create a pinch point due to a traffic island and hear a driver rev their car’s engine behind you before choosing that exact point to overtake.

That’s the scenario in today’s video in our Near Miss of the Day series, filmed last August in Surbiton, southwest London, by road.cc reader SRanger, who said he was disappointed that the driver received no more than a warning letter from police due to their stretched resources.

“I am reaching out to bring attention to a concerning incident of a driver overtaking me too closely that occurred almost five months ago, captured on camera during cycling," he told us.

“Despite the elapsed time, I believe sharing this footage remains relevant for raising awareness about road safety.”

The footage shows that the driver, who passed SRanger with just inches to spare, was clearly travelling well in excess of the 20mph speed limit on the road where the incident happened, although as we often see in such cases, the cyclist – who then received another close pass from a different motorist, also at a traffic island – caught up with him at a set of traffic lights shortly afterwards.

Pointing out that he is supposed to allow at least 1.5 metres when overtaking, the driver aggressively repeats the phrase, “What is it?” before telling SRanger, before shouting “Move my f*cking” car, the pair heading their different ways at the junction, but not before the cyclist tells the driver, “I’m calling the police.”

In the video posted to YouTube, SRanger says: “The Met Prosecutions told me that the driver was issued with a warning letter because they were overwhelmed with reports.

“This was disappointing to hear as warning letters are useless in changing the behaviour of drivers but at least something was done. You can blame the government for police funding cuts.

“As for the gentleman, I really do hope he changes his behaviour or he will eventually be prosecuted,” he added.

https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-886-fast-close-pass-pinch-point-306101

Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<l0914qFgergU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33972&group=uk.rec.cycling#33972

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_Near_Miss_of_the_Day_886:_Fast_close_pass_at_pinc
h_point_–_driver_gets_warning_letter
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 02:12:43 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 02:12 UTC

On 10/01/2024 04:43 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Pretty much anyone who rides a bike in Britain’s towns and cities will know the feeling – you’re approaching a point in the road where the carriageway narrows to create a pinch point due to a traffic island and hear a driver rev their car’s engine behind you before choosing that exact point to overtake.
>
> That’s the scenario in today’s video in our Near Miss of the Day series, filmed last August in Surbiton, southwest London, by road.cc reader SRanger, who said he was disappointed that the driver received no more than a warning letter from police due to their stretched resources.
>
> “I am reaching out to bring attention to a concerning incident of a driver overtaking me too closely that occurred almost five months ago, captured on camera during cycling," he told us.
>
> “Despite the elapsed time, I believe sharing this footage remains relevant for raising awareness about road safety.”
>
> The footage shows that the driver, who passed SRanger with just inches to spare, was clearly travelling well in excess of the 20mph speed limit on the road where the incident happened, although as we often see in such cases, the cyclist – who then received another close pass from a different motorist, also at a traffic island – caught up with him at a set of traffic lights shortly afterwards.
>
> Pointing out that he is supposed to allow at least 1.5 metres when overtaking, the driver aggressively repeats the phrase, “What is it?” before telling SRanger, before shouting “Move my f*cking” car, the pair heading their different ways at the junction, but not before the cyclist tells the driver, “I’m calling the police.”
>
> In the video posted to YouTube, SRanger says: “The Met Prosecutions told me that the driver was issued with a warning letter because they were overwhelmed with reports.
>
> “This was disappointing to hear as warning letters are useless in changing the behaviour of drivers but at least something was done. You can blame the government for police funding cuts.
>
> “As for the gentleman, I really do hope he changes his behaviour or he will eventually be prosecuted,” he added.
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-886-fast-close-pass-pinch-point-306101

Wouldn't it have been better and safer if the chav on the chav-bike,
knowing that he was about to be overtaken by another vehicle, had slowed
down and kept well to the left such that he was not within the
restriction at the same time as the other vehicle?

There are a few similar restrictions on the road where I live and it is
a bus route. When I see a bus or other large vehicle entering the
restriction from the opposite direction, I slow down or stop
specifically in order not to be competing for the restricted space
available. It's called "caution" or "driving sensibly". And the couple
of seconds lost are negligible, especially when seen against the extra
safety gained.

Why are chavs unable to do the same on their chav-bikes?

Are they just too thick and reckless (or both)?

Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<uno98a$2u19o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33973&group=uk.rec.cycling#33973

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
h_point_–_driver_gets_warning_letter
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 21:35:22 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:35 UTC

On 11/01/24 15:12, JNugent wrote:
> [...]
>
> Wouldn't it have been better and safer if the chav on the chav-bike,
> knowing that he was about to be overtaken by another vehicle, had slowed
> down and kept well to the left such that he was not within the
> restriction at the same time as the other vehicle?
>
> There are a few similar restrictions on the road where I live and it is
> a bus route. When I see a bus or other large vehicle entering the
> restriction from the opposite direction, I slow down or stop
> specifically in order not to be competing for the restricted space
> available. It's called "caution" or "driving sensibly". And the couple
> of seconds lost are negligible, especially when seen against the extra
> safety gained.
>
> Why are chavs unable to do the same on their chav-bikes?
>
> Are they just too thick and reckless (or both)?

Personally I am not that keen on explaining from Bed 13 of the ICU
"But I had the right of way!"

Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<faca974b-4e4b-4d5d-822a-216dd659d657n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33974&group=uk.rec.cycling#33974

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 00:48:14 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_Near_Miss_of_the_Day_886:_Fast_close_pass_at_pin
ch_point_–_driver_gets_warning_letter
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:48 UTC

"Guv, we're getting loads of reports coming in of crime [xyz] on our patch."
"I know Constable; too many in fact. That's why I ask you all not to pursue the issue, to save police time."
That seems like the polar opposite of how to set priorities!

Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<dc8d820e-9283-4fdd-a3e6-e612c22ccc95n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33975&group=uk.rec.cycling#33975

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 00:51:51 -0800 (PST)
ch_point_–_driver_gets_warning_letter
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 08:51 UTC

> "Guv, we're getting loads of reports coming in of crime [xyz] on our patch."

HoarseMann wrote:

Also illegally smoking with a child in the vehicle; archetypal feckless father.

Good spot - Section 95 of the Children and Families Act 2014, if anyone is interested. (I worked on that Act 1 )

Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<l09rp3Fl6u0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33976&group=uk.rec.cycling#33976

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Near Miss of the Day 886:
Date: 11 Jan 2024 09:47:15 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 09:47 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 10/01/2024 04:43 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

>> The footage shows that the driver, who passed SRanger with just inches
>> to spare, was clearly travelling well in excess of the 20mph speed limit
>> on the road where the incident happened, although as we often see in
>> such cases, the cyclist – who then received another close pass from a
>> different motorist, also at a traffic island – caught up with him at a
>> set of traffic lights shortly afterwards.

So having failed to heed the first lesson in safe cycling, he goes on to
make the same error only moments later!

This surely is really a call for organised compulsory cyclist training.

>> “As for the gentleman, I really do hope he changes his behaviour or he
>> will eventually be prosecuted,” he added.

As for the cyclist, it is to be hoped he changes his behaviour or he will
eventually wind up in the back of an ambulance.

>> https://road.cc/content/news/nmotd-886-fast-close-pass-pinch-point-306101

> Wouldn't it have been better and safer if the chav on the chav-bike,
> knowing that he was about to be overtaken by another vehicle, had slowed
> down and kept well to the left such that he was not within the
> restriction at the same time as the other vehicle?

Yes!

> There are a few similar restrictions on the road where I live and it is a
> bus route. When I see a bus or other large vehicle entering the
> restriction from the opposite direction, I slow down or stop specifically
> in order not to be competing for the restricted space
available. It's called "caution" or "driving sensibly". And the couple of
seconds lost are negligible, especially when seen against the extra safety
gained.

> Why are chavs unable to do the same on their chav-bikes?

“I am right! Even if misguided!”

> Are they just too thick and reckless (or both)?

My money’s on both.

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<l09to6Fli0bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33977&group=uk.rec.cycling#33977

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
h_point_–_driver_gets_warning_letter
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:20:54 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:20 UTC

On 11/01/2024 08:35 am, Peter Keller wrote:
> [...]
>>>

>> Wouldn't it have been better and safer if the chav on the chav-bike,
>> knowing that he was about to be overtaken by another vehicle, had
>> slowed down and kept well to the left such that he was not within the
>> restriction at the same time as the other vehicle?
>>
>> There are a few similar restrictions on the road where I live and it
>> is a bus route. When I see a bus or other large vehicle entering the
>> restriction from the opposite direction, I slow down or stop
>> specifically in order not to be competing for the restricted space
>> available. It's called "caution" or "driving sensibly". And the couple
>> of seconds lost are negligible, especially when seen against the extra
>> safety gained.
>>
>> Why are chavs unable to do the same on their chav-bikes?
>>
>> Are they just too thick and reckless (or both)?
>
> Personally I am not that keen on explaining from Bed 13 of the ICU

Well said, Peter, as always!

Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<l09trbFli0bU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33978&group=uk.rec.cycling#33978

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
h_point_–_driver_gets_warning_letter
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:22:35 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:22 UTC

On 11/01/2024 08:48 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> "Guv, we're getting loads of reports coming in of crime [xyz] on our patch."
> "I know Constable; too many in fact. That's why I ask you all not to pursue the issue, to save police time."
> That seems like the polar opposite of how to set priorities!

Obviously, English isn't your first language and the exercise of logic
is something with which you are not familiar.

You also apparently underestimate the amount of dislike of chavs on
chav-bikes that exists among the general population of normal people.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<39b773b9-a65e-45c4-9fe4-bde9a827575an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33982&group=uk.rec.cycling#33982

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 03:55:45 -0800 (PST)
ch_point_–_driver_gets_warning_letter
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 11:55 UTC

QUOTE: HoarseMann | 1 day ago
9 likes

Also illegally smoking with a child in the vehicle; archetypal feckless father. ENDS

Dirty bastard probably leaves his engine running outside schools as well.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<l0a6njFn3uiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33987&group=uk.rec.cycling#33987

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 11 Jan 2024 12:54:11 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 12:54 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:

>> "Guv, we're getting loads of reports coming in of crime [xyz] on our patch."
>> "I know Constable; too many in fact. That's why I ask you all not to
>> pursue the issue, to save police time."
>> That seems like the polar opposite of how to set priorities!
>
> Obviously, English isn't your first language and the exercise of logic
> is something with which you are not familiar.

One wonders what Mason thinks of police ignoring cyclist RLJing and footway
cycling. I’ll lay a bet he’ll be less sarcastic about those crimes.

> You also apparently underestimate the amount of dislike of chavs on
> chav-bikes that exists among the general population of normal people.

--
Spike

Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<0e17938e-54ad-4490-aa37-a03cc3731a07n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33990&group=uk.rec.cycling#33990

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 06:21:47 -0800 (PST)
ch_point_–_driver_gets_warning_letter
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:21 UTC

QUOTE: Vehicle Emissions are by far the biggest contributor to air pollution around schools and are a significant health hazard. Children and babies are worst affected as they are still developing. It can aggravate conditions like asthma, and recent research from the World Health Organisation shows that air pollution may be damaging every organ and virtually every cell in the body.

It’s responsible for 390 deaths per year in Staffordshire. Young people are 30% more likely to develop asthma due to air pollution.

Air pollution can be 30% higher outside schools because of idling cars. Running your car whilst stationary and parked is also illegal. ENDS

Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<l0agb6FopulU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33995&group=uk.rec.cycling#33995

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
h_point_–_driver_gets_warning_letter
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:38:15 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:38 UTC

On 11/01/2024 11:55 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: HoarseMann | 1 day ago
> 9 likes

> Also illegally smoking with a child in the vehicle; archetypal feckless father. ENDS
>
> Dirty bastard probably leaves his engine running outside schools as well...

....and driving his car without working windscreen wipers.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<l0agf7FopulU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33996&group=uk.rec.cycling#33996

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
h_point_–_driver_gets_warning_letter
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:40:24 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 15:40 UTC

On 11/01/2024 02:21 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: Vehicle Emissions are by far the biggest contributor to air pollution around schools and are a significant health hazard. Children and babies are worst affected as they are still developing. It can aggravate conditions like asthma, and recent research from the World Health Organisation shows that air pollution may be damaging every organ and virtually every cell in the body.
>
> It’s responsible for 390 deaths per year in Staffordshire. Young people are 30% more likely to develop asthma due to air pollution.
>
> Air pollution can be 30% higher outside schools because of idling cars. Running your car whilst stationary and parked is also illegal. ENDS

It ISN'T illegal per se.

You know that.

It MIGHT be illegal in certain circumstances. But those circumstances
would have to be proven in order for the offence to subsist and be
substantiated. I'm sure you concur, M'Lud.

Re: Near Miss of the Day 886: Fast close pass at pinch point – driver gets warning letter

<3a050898-fd87-46f5-9b54-fc4b950cd404n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34002&group=uk.rec.cycling#34002

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:25:45 -0800 (PST)
ch_point_–_driver_gets_warning_letter
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 18:25 UTC

On Thursday, January 11, 2024 at 2:21:49 PM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: Vehicle Emissions are by far the biggest contributor to air pollution around schools and are a significant health hazard. Children and babies are worst affected as they are still developing. It can aggravate conditions like asthma, and recent research from the World Health Organisation shows that air pollution may be damaging every organ and virtually every cell in the body.
>
> It’s responsible for 390 deaths per year in Staffordshire. Young people are 30% more likely to develop asthma due to air pollution.
>
> Air pollution can be 30% higher outside schools because of idling cars. Running your car whilst stationary and parked is also illegal. ENDS

Warwickshire County Council has recently re-launched their popular ‘Kids Need Clean Air’ campaign in partnership with Warwickshire Primary Schools.

This campaign aims to educate drivers of the benefits of switching off their vehicle engines when stationary, with a particular focus on engine idling outside schools during drop-off and pick-ups.

The best way to reduce air pollution is to use vehicles less, however if travelling by car is essential it is important for engines to be switched off when waiting or stationary. Engines left running - Idling - increase the amount of exhaust fumes in the air, with these fumes containing harmful gases which pollute the environment, contribute towards climate change, and are linked to health conditions such as respiratory illnesses and lung and heart disease. Idling often occurs outside schools at drop off and pick up times, which means children are exposed to increased air pollution.

Idling uses unnecessary fuel and is a significant contributor to local air pollution. By stopping engine idling, drivers will reduce fuel costs and save money, improve air quality, and reduce air pollutants which can help cut heart disease, reduce lung cancer and prevent asthma attacks. By reducing the amount of fuel being used, drivers can improve the quality of the air that we breathe.

Throughout February 2023, 27 primary schools across the county launched this campaign, with each of these schools receiving a banner for the schools’ railings, a digital animation offering advice and guidance for parents and carers, and an article for newsletters.

Councillor Wallace Redford, Portfolio Holder for Transport and Planning at Warwickshire County Council, said: “This important campaign shines a light on the harm that idling vehicles cause, not only to our environment by contributing to climate change, but also to our health and the health of the younger generation.

“If those aren’t incentive enough, the financial toll and potential harm to our vehicles should give us extra pause for thought, the next time that we find ourselves at a standstill whilst at the wheel.”

Councillor Heather Timms, Portfolio Holder for Environment, Climate & Culture at Warwickshire County Council, said: “It may seem like a small step to take, but if we all switch off our engines when our cars are stationary, we can significantly reduce harmful carbon emissions and at the same time make the air safer for us all to breathe.”

Warwickshire Road Safety Education Team is committed to improving air quality and tackling climate change and are asking all adults who need to travel by car to set a positive example and turn their engines off when stationary. This campaign form part of a wider programme to improve air quality outside schools.