"If you understand what you're doing, you're not learning anything." -- A. L.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Wrexham man jailed for shoplifting and motoring offences

SubjectAuthor
* Wrexham man jailed for shoplifting and motoring offencesSimon Mason
+- One of May Sun's posts that is, for technical reason, not off-topic: "Wrexham maJNugent
`- Re: Wrexham man jailed for shoplifting and motoring offencesSimon Mason

1
Wrexham man jailed for shoplifting and motoring offences

<8d3c71e7-0879-4d10-b2a9-c15eb711558cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34024&group=uk.rec.cycling#34024

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 08:54:11 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Wrexham man jailed for shoplifting and motoring offences
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 16:54 UTC

A dangerous driver who forced a police officer to jump out of his way has been locked up and handed a lengthy ban.

Adam Roberts, of St Anne's Court in Wrexham, appeared for sentence at Mold Crown Court on Friday morning.

The 24-year-old had previously been convicted of a raft of offences including four thefts from shops, dangerous driving, assaulting an emergency worker, forging a registration mark, driving whilst disqualified and driving with no insurance.

Catherine Elvin, prosecuting, told the court that the first offences chronologically took place on April 4 last year, when police spotted him driving in Wrexham.

Officers knew he didn't have a licence and spoke with him when he stopped in a cul-de-sac.

They confirmed he was banned from driving at the time and therefore also had no insurance.

It turned out the registration plates on the vehicle were cloned and actually related to a completely different vehicle in Llay.

The second lot of offences saw Roberts going on something of a shoplifting "spree" beginning on June 12 when he took a number of items worth just over £280 from Sports Direct in Wrexham.

He went on to steal two bottles of vodka from Sainsbury's in Wrexham on September 25, then £87 worth of fragrance gift sets from Boots in Llandudno on November 28.

Finally, he took seven bottles of vodka and a bottle of champagne worth more than £350 from Tesco in Wrexham on December 6.

And in the final set of offences, which occurred six days after the last shoplifting incident on December 12, he was seen behind the wheel once again - this time in Queensway whilst wanted for the earlier thefts.

As officers closed in on the VW Golf he was driving, a PCSO approached on foot to speak with him.

But Roberts "slammed on the accelerator," causing the vehicle to move at speed at the officer.

The PCSO had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit as Roberts drove with some force into the side of a police car.

He made off, damaging the police vehicle and an electrical box in the process.

The Leader: Adam Roberts (North Wales Police)Adam Roberts (North Wales Police) (Image: NWP)The defendant was apprehended some days later at a known address.

Ms Elvin told the court the defendant has a "heavy record" - made up of some 21 previous convictions for 60 offences, many of which were motoring matters.

In fact, the offences before the court on Friday (January 12) marked his 11th and 12th for driving with no insurance and his 10th and 11th for driving whilst disqualified.

All of the offences also put him in breach of 38 weeks custody which had been suspended at previous hearings.

Emily Calman, defending, said: "Clearly, Mr Roberts' record doesn't help him one bit.

"He tells me the reason behind why he has been committing these offences is his troubled upbringing - which is no excuse, but has led him into the lap of other people who have influenced his behaviour.

"He clearly needs to grow up and do some work on his thinking skills.

"Regarding the theft offences, he was in receipt of Universal Credit and was struggling for money as he had a drug debt.

"He is intending on getting out of prison, getting a job and some skills."

Ms Calman added that regarding the dangerous driving, her client's intention had never been to hurt the officer.

"He panicked and acted very impulsively," she said.

Judge Niclas Parry handed down a total jail term of two-and-a-half years.

A driving ban of the same length was imposed - with an additional 15 months to account for the custodial element of the defendant's sentence.

The Judge did not impose any costs or compensation order given Roberts is in prison and has no means to pay.

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/24045395.wrexham-man-jailed-shoplifting-motoring-offences/

One of May Sun's posts that is, for technical reason, not off-topic: "Wrexham man [as it happens, a totally unqualified chav-cyclist] jailed for shoplifting and motoring offences"

<l0df43FbdnkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34025&group=uk.rec.cycling#34025

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: One of May Sun's posts that is, for technical reason, not off-topic:
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 18:35:46 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 18:35 UTC

On 12/01/2024 04:54 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> A dangerous driver who forced a police officer to jump out of his way has been locked up and handed a lengthy ban.
> Adam Roberts, of St Anne's Court in Wrexham, appeared for sentence at Mold Crown Court on Friday morning.
> The 24-year-old had previously been convicted of a raft of offences including four thefts from shops, dangerous driving, assaulting an emergency worker, forging a registration mark, driving whilst disqualified and driving with no insurance.

There you are. Just a chav-cyclist. Nothing more than that.

> Catherine Elvin, prosecuting, told the court that the first offences chronologically took place on April 4 last year, when police spotted him driving in Wrexham.
> Officers knew he didn't have a licence and spoke with him when he stopped in a cul-de-sac.
> They confirmed he was banned from driving at the time and therefore also had no insurance.

Chav-cyclist. That's all he was.

> It turned out the registration plates on the vehicle were cloned and actually related to a completely different vehicle in Llay.
> The second lot of offences saw Roberts going on something of a shoplifting "spree" beginning on June 12 when he took a number of items worth just over £280 from Sports Direct in Wrexham.
> He went on to steal two bottles of vodka from Sainsbury's in Wrexham on September 25, then £87 worth of fragrance gift sets from Boots in Llandudno on November 28.
> Finally, he took seven bottles of vodka and a bottle of champagne worth more than £350 from Tesco in Wrexham on December 6.
> And in the final set of offences, which occurred six days after the last shoplifting incident on December 12, he was seen behind the wheel once again - this time in Queensway whilst wanted for the earlier thefts.
> As officers closed in on the VW Golf he was driving, a PCSO approached on foot to speak with him.
> But Roberts "slammed on the accelerator," causing the vehicle to move at speed at the officer.
> The PCSO had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit as Roberts drove with some force into the side of a police car.
> He made off, damaging the police vehicle and an electrical box in the process.

> The Leader: Adam Roberts (North Wales Police)Adam Roberts (North Wales Police) (Image: NWP)

?????

> The defendant was apprehended some days later at a known address.
> Ms Elvin told the court the defendant has a "heavy record" - made up of some 21 previous convictions for 60 offences, many of which were motoring matters.
> In fact, the offences before the court on Friday (January 12) marked his 11th and 12th for driving with no insurance and his 10th and 11th for driving whilst disqualified.
> All of the offences also put him in breach of 38 weeks custody which had been suspended at previous hearings.
> Emily Calman, defending, said: "Clearly, Mr Roberts' record doesn't help him one bit.
> "He tells me the reason behind why he has been committing these offences is his troubled upbringing - which is no excuse, but has led him into the lap of other people who have influenced his behaviour.
> "He clearly needs to grow up and do some work on his thinking skills.
> "Regarding the theft offences, he was in receipt of Universal Credit and was struggling for money as he had a drug debt.
> "He is intending on getting out of prison, getting a job and some skills."
> Ms Calman added that regarding the dangerous driving, her client's intention had never been to hurt the officer.
> "He panicked and acted very impulsively," she said.
> Judge Niclas Parry handed down a total jail term of two-and-a-half years.

That's tje best place for chav-cyclists like him, many would say.

I'm sure you concur, M'Lud.

> A driving ban of the same length was imposed - with an additional 15 months to account for the custodial element of the defendant's sentence.
> The Judge did not impose any costs or compensation order given Roberts is in prison and has no means to pay.

> https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/24045395.wrexham-man-jailed-shoplifting-motoring-offences/

Re: Wrexham man jailed for shoplifting and motoring offences

<a3b84e02-5e58-446e-a8d3-3b2ebc98b00cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34026&group=uk.rec.cycling#34026

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 10:44:14 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 18:44 UTC

QUOTE: Finally, he took seven bottles of vodka and a bottle of champagne worth more than £350 from Tesco in Wrexham on December 6. ENDS

Bloody hell - don't let the missus know that £350 bottles of Champagne are for sale in Tesco!!