Can't open /usr/share/games/fortunes/fortunes.dat.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws

SubjectAuthor
* Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laSimon Mason
+* ANOTHER O-T TROLL POST by May Sun (no chav-cycling content): "Insurance comparisJNugent
|`- Re: ANOTHER O-T TROLL POST by May Sun (no chav-cyclingSpike
+- Re: Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driveSimon Mason
+* Re: Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driveSimon Mason
|`- OT TROLL POST by May Sun (again): " Insurance comparison firm urging motorists tJNugent
+* Re: Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driveSimon Mason
|`- Re: Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driveJNugent
+* Re: Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driveSimon Mason
|`- YET MORE TROLLING BY May Sun: "Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to bruJNugent
`- Re: Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driveSimon Mason

1
Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws

<a3779823-47e5-4235-8aab-99a6d7a9bc1en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34044&group=uk.rec.cycling#34044

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 09:17:30 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser
known driver laws
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 17:17 UTC

Motorists are being urged to avoid incurring penalty points and fines this year by learning these lesser-known driving laws.

Car insurance comparison experts at Quotezone.co.uk say many may not be aware they are breaking unknown laws each time they get behind the wheel.

These lesser-known rules include playing loud music, hogging the middle lane and holding hands with a partner while driving.

Consequences for disobeying these rules and laws could lead to fines and prosecution.

Losing your cool and displaying acts of road rage could be classed as disorderly conduct, so experts are urging motorists to remain calm behind the wheel this year.

Greg Wilson, Founder and CEO of Quotezone.co.uk, said: “Going into a new year is a great chance to reset and review your habits. Motorists should take the time to understand some of the more unusual driving laws and regulations we have in the UK in case they might be breaking them.

“It might be the case that you like to play loud music while driving, have picked up the habit of hogging the middle lane or tend to let your dog hang out the window. However, these common mistakes could see you facing fines or even prosecution.

“With so many rules, it is easy to understand why so many motorists break them without even realising. Which is why we wanted to share some of the most unknown driving offences to avoid.”

Here are Quotezone.co.uk’s little-known driving laws and rules of the road to stop breaking this year:
1. Keep the music down

Rule 148 of the Highway Code advises against excessive noise which may distract drivers from important sounds like sirens - which they need to be aware of. This means motorists should avoid playing excessively loud music while driving – it could be deemed a distraction, with a £100 fine and three penalty points.

2. Don’t hog the lanes

When driving on a three-lane motorway, drivers are advised to drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear, according to Highway Code rule 264. When overtaking, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as it is safe to do so. Remaining in the middle lane for longer than necessary can cause congestion and danger on the roads and is an offence which falls under ‘careless driving’.

3. Ventilation

A Highway Code many road users may not be aware of is Rule 237. This states drivers should keep their vehicle well-ventilated to avoid drowsiness - if a drowsy driver causes an accident, they might face charges like reckless or dangerous driving. This could lead to fines, license suspension, or even jail time.

4. Keep all paws in the car

Allowing your four-legged friend to hang their head out of the car window is against the law and could see motorists prosecuted by law in the case of an accident. Not having a dog properly restrained in the car could cause distraction for the driver and other road users.

5. Keep hands on the wheel

When behind the wheel, drivers should be careful to keep both hands on the wheel where possible, according to Highway Code rule 160. This means holding hands with a loved one or keeping a hand on someone's leg while driving could land you in hot water -drivers who take their hands off their vehicles steering wheel could face a £1000 fine and three penalty points.

6. Control your emotions

Swearing or gesturing at other road users can be considered as disorderly conduct, acts that law enforcement are able to take action against - they could also be fined for ‘not being in full control of a vehicle’ if their hands leave the wheel.

7. Avoid loud motors

In order to make their car louder, some motorists boost the sound of their exhaust without realising the legal repercussions. All exhaust silencers must be maintained and not modified, otherwise you will be breaking the law and could face fines.

Many of the rules in the Highway Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence - resulting in fines, penalty points on your licence, disqualification from driving and even prison.

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/avoid-fines-insurance-comparison-firm-urging-motorists-to-brush-up-on-lesser-known-driver-laws

ANOTHER O-T TROLL POST by May Sun (no chav-cycling content): "Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws"

<l0fvmjFpqrqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34047&group=uk.rec.cycling#34047

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: ANOTHER O-T TROLL POST by May Sun (no chav-cycling content):
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 17:30:59 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 17:30 UTC

On 13/01/2024 05:17 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Motorists are being urged to avoid incurring penalty points and fines this year by learning these lesser-known driving laws.
>
> Car insurance comparison experts at Quotezone.co.uk say:

[ snipped: many lines of material irrelevant to chav-cyclists]

> 5. Keep hands on the wheel

(and don't worry about Fred and the seven little girls in the back seat?)

> When behind the wheel, drivers should be careful to keep both hands on the wheel where possible, according to Highway Code rule 160. This means holding hands with a loved one or keeping a hand on someone's leg while driving could land you in hot water -drivers who take their hands off their vehicles steering wheel could face a £1000 fine and three penalty points.

> 6. Control your emotions
>
> Swearing or gesturing at other road users can be considered as disorderly conduct, acts that law enforcement are able to take action against - they could also be fined for ‘not being in full control of a vehicle’ if their hands leave the wheel.

It's a good job that cars no longer have gear levers, switches for the
lights and indicators or controls for the ICE, windows, etc, isn't it?

[ snipped: more lines of material irrelevant to chav-cyclists]

Re: Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws

<1e3e5efd-75ba-44dc-a5c7-ea5a011a060fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34054&group=uk.rec.cycling#34054

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 13:18:04 -0800 (PST)
known driver laws
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 13 Jan 2024 21:18 UTC

QUOTE:

Swearing or gesturing at other road users can be considered as disorderly conduct, acts that law enforcement are able to take action against - they could also be fined for ‘not being in full control of a vehicle’ if their hands leave the wheel. ENDS

The racist gammons in London must be pooping their pants!!

"AAT OF MOY FACKING WAY, YOU CANT."

"You're nicked, sunshine."

Re: ANOTHER O-T TROLL POST by May Sun (no chav-cycling content): "Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws"

<l0hob5F51i5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34057&group=uk.rec.cycling#34057

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: ANOTHER O-T TROLL POST by May Sun (no chav-cycling
Date: 14 Jan 2024 09:37:41 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 09:37 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 13/01/2024 05:17 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
>
>> Motorists are being urged to avoid incurring penalty points and fines
>> this year by learning these lesser-known driving laws.

>> Car insurance comparison experts [BUT NOT LEGAL EXPERTS] at Quotezone.co.uk say:

>> 6. Control your emotions

>> Swearing or gesturing at other road users can be considered as
>> disorderly conduct, acts that law enforcement are able to take action
>> against - they could also be fined for ‘not being in full control of a
>> vehicle’ if their hands leave the wheel.

=====
Ridin' along in my automobile
My baby beside me at the wheel
I stole a kiss at the turn of a mile
My curiosity runnin' wild
Cruisin' and playin' the radio
With no particular place to go
=====

--
Spike

Re: Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws

<2d45e42d-4e71-426a-b123-84464f1bad2an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34059&group=uk.rec.cycling#34059

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 01:43:29 -0800 (PST)
known driver laws
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 09:43 UTC

QUOTE: These lesser-known rules include playing loud music. ENDS

Won't that impair their ability to hear sirens and horns?

OT TROLL POST by May Sun (again): " Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws" [no chav-cycling content]

<l0i5clF7da2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34061&group=uk.rec.cycling#34061

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: OT TROLL POST by May Sun (again): " Insurance comparison firm urging
motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws" [no chav-cycling content]
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:20:20 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:20 UTC

On 14/01/2024 09:43 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: These lesser-known rules include playing loud music. ENDS

> Won't that impair their ability to hear sirens and horns?

Are people with hearing difficulties - perhaps even being profoundly
deaf - prohibited from driving motor vehicles or riding motorcycles or
chav-bikes?

If not, what's the difficulty?

Despite that, I'm much in agreement with the animus against loud "music"
being played out of vehicles.

Re: Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws

<c9dd63db-21ee-4bf1-9aa5-5fafb8152ea3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34066&group=uk.rec.cycling#34066

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 05:40:29 -0800 (PST)
known driver laws
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:40 UTC

QUOTE: 7. Avoid loud motors

In order to make their car louder, some motorists boost the sound of their exhaust without realising the legal repercussions. All exhaust silencers must be maintained and not modified, otherwise you will be breaking the law and could face fines. ENDS

What about the chav meet-ups at the local B+Q car park?
Spoilsports.

Re: Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws

<l0ibd5F8cqrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34074&group=uk.rec.cycling#34074

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
known driver laws
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:03:01 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:03 UTC

On 14/01/2024 01:40 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: 7. Avoid loud motors

> In order to make their car louder, some motorists boost the sound of their exhaust without realising the legal repercussions. All exhaust silencers must be maintained and not modified, otherwise you will be breaking the law and could face fines. ENDS

> What about the chav-cyclist meet-ups at the local B+Q car park?
> Spoilsports.

I didn't know that B&Q sold chav-bikes to chav-cyclists.

[There. FIFY and rendered it on-topic. For a change.]

Re: Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws

<c7e2f71c-755d-49b3-8866-5503a2ec4368n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34076&group=uk.rec.cycling#34076

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 10:03:24 -0800 (PST)
known driver laws
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 18:03 UTC

3. Ventilation

QUOTE: A Highway Code many road users may not be aware of is Rule 237. This states drivers should keep their vehicle well-ventilated to avoid drowsiness - if a drowsy driver causes an accident, they might face charges like reckless or dangerous driving. This could lead to fines, licence suspension, or even jail time. ENDS

Don't forget that if you run your engine with your windows open, you will get done for polluting the environment with toxic fumes since the "keeping warm" excuse would be null and void.

YET MORE TROLLING BY May Sun: "Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws" [No chav-cycling content]

<l0ipp0FarfuU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34077&group=uk.rec.cycling#34077

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: YET MORE TROLLING BY May Sun: "Insurance comparison firm urging
motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws" [No chav-cycling content]
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 19:08:16 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 19:08 UTC

On 14/01/2024 06:03 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> 3. Ventilation
>
> QUOTE: A Highway Code many road users may not be aware of is Rule 237. This states drivers should keep their vehicle well-ventilated to avoid drowsiness - if a drowsy driver causes an accident, they might face charges like reckless or dangerous driving. This could lead to fines, licence suspension, or even jail time. ENDS
>
> Don't forget that if you run your engine with your windows open, you will get done for polluting the environment with toxic fumes since the "keeping warm" excuse would be null and void.

Re: Insurance comparison firm urging motorists to brush up on lesser known driver laws

<0ae280bf-da46-4997-8109-5048a7ec6cccn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34078&group=uk.rec.cycling#34078

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 12:04:15 -0800 (PST)
known driver laws
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 20:04 UTC

> Allowing your four-legged friend to hang their head out of the car window is against the law and could see motorists prosecuted by law in the case of an accident. Not having a dog properly restrained in the car could cause distraction for the driver and other road users.

QUOTE: Many dogs love a trip out in the car with their owners. But drivers are being warned that they could face a huge fine if they don’t restrain their pets when travelling.

It is a legal requirement as part of the Highway Code to secure a dog
- or any other small animal - in a car when driving in order to prevent them from causing an accident.

If an animal is found to have caused or contributed to a road accident, the driver could face a fine of up to £5,000 and points on their licence. Not only that but it could invalidate car and pet insurance, the Mirror Online reports.

Rule 57 of the Highway Code states: "When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.”

Under the rule, allowing a dog to stick its head out the window when the car is moving may “potentially illustrate” the animal is not retained properly, leaving the driver to suffer any potential penalties. Mark Tongue, of Select Car Leasing, said: “We’d recommend you don’t let your dog stick its head out of the window.

“Not only does that potentially illustrate that the animal is not restrained properly, there’s also the obvious risk of its head coming into contact with something, like a bush or a tree, resulting in a bad injury. And make no mistake - if you don’t have your dog properly restrained, and it’s causing distraction, you could be prosecuted by the law.

“Don’t take the risk. Make sure both you and your pooch are buckled up properly.” There are a number of doggy seatbelts and restraints on the market to ensure pets are safe while in a vehicle.

After safely restraining a pet, Dogs Trust advises owners to help get their dog used to being in the car, its sounds and movements. A statement reads: "Until they’ve got used to car journeys, dogs may not understand what is happening.

"They may find it confusing, worrying or frustrating when they can see people, other dogs, or traffic through the car windows, and some might bark at what they can see. Others might feel they need to protect the car because it’s valuable to them or is full of valuable things, such as the dog’s family, toys or blanket.

"If your dog is struggling, then ask for professional help. Use treats to reward your dog for simply being in the car.

"Some dogs can be worried or excited about what might happen when they’re in a small, confined space and find it difficult to relax. If they get treats every time they get in the car, they’ll soon really like it in there.

" Your dog also needs to get used to the sound and movement of the car. It’s useful to give them something enjoyable when there is a change in their environment, so when the engine starts give your dog a tasty treat, and another when the car starts moving.

"They’ll soon learn that it’s nothing to worry about as it means good things happen." ENDS