From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: The World is Full of Murderous Motorists
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 15:31:14 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 02:31 UTC

So sayeth a rather prolific poster.
Yesterday I, on my bike, needed to cross a busy 4-lane main road to get
to the shared path on the other side in order to turn left.
There is a safety island in the middle of the road.
I cross to the safety island, then stop to see if I can complete my
crossing without being murdered.
One car whizzes past.
The next murderous motorist slows down and signals me to cross.
There being no other murderous motorists in sight I duly cross.
Whew! Saved by the skin of my teeth.
?

Re: The World is Full of Murderous Motorists

<l0i5fqF7da2U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34062&group=uk.rec.cycling#34062

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: The World is Full of Murderous Motorists
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:22:02 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 13:22 UTC

On 14/01/2024 02:31 am, Peter Keller wrote:

> So sayeth a rather prolific poster.
> Yesterday I, on my bike, needed to cross a busy 4-lane main road to get
> to the shared path on the other side in order to turn left.
> There is a safety island in the middle of the road.
> I cross to the safety island, then stop to see if I can complete my
> crossing without being murdered.
> One car whizzes past.
> The next murderous motorist slows down and signals me to cross.
> There being no other murderous motorists in sight I duly cross.
> Whew! Saved by the skin of my teeth.
> ?

I strongly suspect, Peter, that most road-users in your neck of the
woods (including your good self) adhere to the "Do unto others..." rule.

And so they should.

Re: The World is Full of Murderous Motorists

<uo1ltp$jqro$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34080&group=uk.rec.cycling#34080

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 11:06:49 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Sun, 14 Jan 2024 22:06 UTC

On 15/01/24 02:22, JNugent wrote:
> On 14/01/2024 02:31 am, Peter Keller wrote:
>
>> So sayeth a rather prolific poster.
>> Yesterday I, on my bike, needed to cross a busy 4-lane main road to
>> get to the shared path on the other side in order to turn left.
>> There is a safety island in the middle of the road.
>> I cross to the safety island, then stop to see if I can complete my
>> crossing without being murdered.
>> One car whizzes past.
>> The next murderous motorist slows down and signals me to cross.
>> There being no other murderous motorists in sight I duly cross.
>> Whew! Saved by the skin of my teeth.
>> ?
>
> I strongly suspect, Peter, that most road-users in your neck of the
> woods (including your good self) adhere to the "Do unto others..." rule.
>
> And so they should.

Hopefully yes.
I don't see much sense in demonizing everyone else. It is much more
pleasant to live amongst and interact with nice considerate friendly people.
"Do unto others... etc" is one of the better things a certain wayward
Jewish sect preacher said over 2000 years ago. People would do well to
follow this mantra, irrespective of their views on religion, God(s) etc.