For 20 dollars, I'll give you a good fortune next time ...

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

SubjectAuthor
* New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthSimon Mason
`* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthPeter Keller
 +* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthSpike
 |`* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthBrian
 | `- Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthSpike
 +* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthSimon Mason
 |+* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthSimon Mason
 ||`- Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthJNugent
 |+* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthSimon Mason
 ||`- Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthJNugent
 |`* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthPeter Keller
 | +* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthSimon Mason
 | |`* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthSimon Mason
 | | `* TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC TROLLING, RANTING POST from May Sun: "New research finds commuJNugent
 | |  `- Re: TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC TROLLING, RANTING POST from May Sun: "New research finds cSpike
 | +- Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthSpike
 | `* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthSimon Mason
 |  `* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthJNugent
 |   +* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthPeter Keller
 |   |+* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthSimon Mason
 |   ||+- Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthJNugent
 |   ||`- Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthSimon Mason
 |   |`- Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthJNugent
 |   `* Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthSpike
 |    `- Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthJNugent
 `- Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental healthJNugent

Pages:12
New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<03abf1c7-4408-422f-9806-4181867659b7n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34081&group=uk.rec.cycling#34081

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 09:54:49 -0800 (PST)
Subject: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 17:54 UTC

A new study from researchers at the University of Edinburgh has highlighted the beneficial impact on mental health that cycling to work can have, with those who commute by bike less likely to be prescribed antidepressants.

The research published today in the International Journal of Epidemiology (link is external) is the work of Chris Dibben, Laurie Berrie, Zhiqiang Feng, David Rice, Tom Clemens and Lee Williamson, and is titled: 'Does cycle commuting reduce the risk of mental ill-health? An instrumental variable analysis using distance to nearest cycle path'.

Linking commuting data from Glasgow and Edinburgh, accessed via the Scottish population census, with mental health prescriptions from the National Health Service Prescribing Information System records, researchers were able to note cycle commuters had a lower level of mental health prescriptions than among other commuter types.

A mean average 15 per cent reduction in prescriptions for antidepressants in the five years following the census was estimated for those who travel to work by bike compared with those using any other mode of commuting.

"This work suggests that cycle commuting is causally related to reduced mental ill-health and provides further evidence in support of the promotion of active travel to encourage commuters travelling shorter distances to shift to cycle commutes," the research concluded.

At the time of the census just 1.85 per cent of commuters in Glasgow and 4.8 per cent of commuters in Edinburgh cycled to work. Speaking to STV (link is external), the professor who led the study, Chris Dibben, commented: "Our finding that this economical and sustainable method of travelling to work also enhances mental health suggests that a policy of investing in cycle paths and encouraging active commuting is likely to have wide-ranging benefits.
In total, 378,253 people aged 16 to 74 and living and working in the City of Edinburgh and Glasgow City council areas at the time of the 2011 census, and who lived within one mile of a cycle path, were included in the study. Among cyclists, nine per cent were found to have a prescription for mental health, compared with 14 per cent in the non-cyclist category.

"Not only could this improve people's mental health, it could also help reduce carbon emissions, road congestion and air pollution."

Dr Laurie Berrie added: "Our study used the fact that otherwise similar people are more likely to cycle to work if they live close to a cycle path. Using this property, it was possible to mimic a randomised controlled trial and compare the mental health of those who cycled to work to those using other modes of transport but who were otherwise comparable."

https://road.cc/content/news/new-study-finds-cycle-commuting-can-improve-mental-health-306203

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<uo5ca5$1bi21$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34095&group=uk.rec.cycling#34095

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 20:47:17 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 07:47 UTC

On 16/01/24 06:54, Simon Mason wrote:
> A new study from researchers at the University of Edinburgh has highlighted the beneficial impact on mental health that cycling to work can have, with those who commute by bike less likely to be prescribed antidepressants.
>
> The research published today in the International Journal of Epidemiology (link is external) is the work of Chris Dibben, Laurie Berrie, Zhiqiang Feng, David Rice, Tom Clemens and Lee Williamson, and is titled: 'Does cycle commuting reduce the risk of mental ill-health? An instrumental variable analysis using distance to nearest cycle path'.
>
> Linking commuting data from Glasgow and Edinburgh, accessed via the Scottish population census, with mental health prescriptions from the National Health Service Prescribing Information System records, researchers were able to note cycle commuters had a lower level of mental health prescriptions than among other commuter types.
>
> A mean average 15 per cent reduction in prescriptions for antidepressants in the five years following the census was estimated for those who travel to work by bike compared with those using any other mode of commuting.
>
> "This work suggests that cycle commuting is causally related to reduced mental ill-health and provides further evidence in support of the promotion of active travel to encourage commuters travelling shorter distances to shift to cycle commutes," the research concluded.
>
> At the time of the census just 1.85 per cent of commuters in Glasgow and 4.8 per cent of commuters in Edinburgh cycled to work. Speaking to STV (link is external), the professor who led the study, Chris Dibben, commented: "Our finding that this economical and sustainable method of travelling to work also enhances mental health suggests that a policy of investing in cycle paths and encouraging active commuting is likely to have wide-ranging benefits.
> In total, 378,253 people aged 16 to 74 and living and working in the City of Edinburgh and Glasgow City council areas at the time of the 2011 census, and who lived within one mile of a cycle path, were included in the study. Among cyclists, nine per cent were found to have a prescription for mental health, compared with 14 per cent in the non-cyclist category.
>
> "Not only could this improve people's mental health, it could also help reduce carbon emissions, road congestion and air pollution."
>
> Dr Laurie Berrie added: "Our study used the fact that otherwise similar people are more likely to cycle to work if they live close to a cycle path. Using this property, it was possible to mimic a randomised controlled trial and compare the mental health of those who cycled to work to those using other modes of transport but who were otherwise comparable."
>
> https://road.cc/content/news/new-study-finds-cycle-commuting-can-improve-mental-health-306203

Fatal word 'can'.

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<l0mvc3F493lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34099&group=uk.rec.cycling#34099

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 16 Jan 2024 09:08:19 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 09:08 UTC

Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:
> On 16/01/24 06:54, Simon Mason wrote:

>> A new study from researchers at the University of Edinburgh has
>> highlighted the beneficial impact on mental health that cycling to work
>> can have, with those who commute by bike less likely to be prescribed antidepressants.

[…]

>> https://road.cc/content/news/new-study-finds-cycle-commuting-can-improve-mental-health-306203

> Fatal word 'can'.

It doesn’t matter, the one crucial aspect that this ‘research’ does NOT
address is *improvements* in mental health from taking up cycling. Rather,
it compares two self-selecting groups, which has nothing to with the
claimed ‘beneficial effect of cycling’ as the two populations may have
arisen from different mental approaches to travel, and so compared apples
with oranges.

Road.cc is not noted for critical thought.

--
Spike

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<e5ccbea8-87ca-4946-b43c-21a801643046n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34104&group=uk.rec.cycling#34104

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 04:03:19 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:03 UTC

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 7:47:21 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 16/01/24 06:54, Simon Mason wrote:
> > A new study from researchers at the University of Edinburgh has highlighted the beneficial impact on mental health that cycling to work can have, with those who commute by bike less likely to be prescribed antidepressants..
> >
> > The research published today in the International Journal of Epidemiology (link is external) is the work of Chris Dibben, Laurie Berrie, Zhiqiang Feng, David Rice, Tom Clemens and Lee Williamson, and is titled: 'Does cycle commuting reduce the risk of mental ill-health? An instrumental variable analysis using distance to nearest cycle path'.
> >
> > Linking commuting data from Glasgow and Edinburgh, accessed via the Scottish population census, with mental health prescriptions from the National Health Service Prescribing Information System records, researchers were able to note cycle commuters had a lower level of mental health prescriptions than among other commuter types.
> >
> > A mean average 15 per cent reduction in prescriptions for antidepressants in the five years following the census was estimated for those who travel to work by bike compared with those using any other mode of commuting.
> >
> > "This work suggests that cycle commuting is causally related to reduced mental ill-health and provides further evidence in support of the promotion of active travel to encourage commuters travelling shorter distances to shift to cycle commutes," the research concluded.
> >
> > At the time of the census just 1.85 per cent of commuters in Glasgow and 4.8 per cent of commuters in Edinburgh cycled to work. Speaking to STV (link is external), the professor who led the study, Chris Dibben, commented: "Our finding that this economical and sustainable method of travelling to work also enhances mental health suggests that a policy of investing in cycle paths and encouraging active commuting is likely to have wide-ranging benefits.
> > In total, 378,253 people aged 16 to 74 and living and working in the City of Edinburgh and Glasgow City council areas at the time of the 2011 census, and who lived within one mile of a cycle path, were included in the study. Among cyclists, nine per cent were found to have a prescription for mental health, compared with 14 per cent in the non-cyclist category.
> >
> > "Not only could this improve people's mental health, it could also help reduce carbon emissions, road congestion and air pollution."
> >
> > Dr Laurie Berrie added: "Our study used the fact that otherwise similar people are more likely to cycle to work if they live close to a cycle path.. Using this property, it was possible to mimic a randomised controlled trial and compare the mental health of those who cycled to work to those using other modes of transport but who were otherwise comparable."
> >
> > https://road.cc/content/news/new-study-finds-cycle-commuting-can-improve-mental-health-306203
> Fatal word 'can'.

The "Theory of Evolution" is still just a theory. :-/

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<uo6573$1g2e2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34109&group=uk.rec.cycling#34109

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 14:52:19 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Res9IU5YY7S1h+wAYnSNC0xhHmE=
 by: Brian - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 14:52 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
> Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:
>> On 16/01/24 06:54, Simon Mason wrote:
>
>>> A new study from researchers at the University of Edinburgh has
>>> highlighted the beneficial impact on mental health that cycling to work
>>> can have, with those who commute by bike less likely to be prescribed antidepressants.
>
> […]
>
>>> https://road.cc/content/news/new-study-finds-cycle-commuting-can-improve-mental-health-306203
>
>> Fatal word 'can'.
>
> It doesn’t matter, the one crucial aspect that this ‘research’ does NOT
> address is *improvements* in mental health from taking up cycling. Rather,
> it compares two self-selecting groups, which has nothing to with the
> claimed ‘beneficial effect of cycling’ as the two populations may have
> arisen from different mental approaches to travel, and so compared apples
> with oranges.
>
> Road.cc is not noted for critical thought.

If the regular cycling advocate who posts here is an example of the mental
benefits of cycling there is a case for banning it.

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<l0nn6gF91csU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34111&group=uk.rec.cycling#34111

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 16 Jan 2024 15:54:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 15:54 UTC

Brian <noinv@lid.org> wrote:
> Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
>> Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:

>> […]

>>> Fatal word 'can'.

>> It doesn’t matter, the one crucial aspect that this ‘research’ does NOT
>> address is *improvements* in mental health from taking up cycling.
>> Rather, it compares two self-selecting groups, which has nothing to with
>> the claimed ‘beneficial effect of cycling’ as the two populations may
>> have arisen from different mental approaches to travel, and so compared
>> apples with oranges.

>> Road.cc is not noted for critical thought.

> If the regular cycling advocate who posts here is an example of the
> mental benefits of cycling there is a case for banning it.

I’d LOL if that wasn’t so apposite.

--
Spike

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<l0nnt7F91ruU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34119&group=uk.rec.cycling#34119

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 16:07:03 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 16:07 UTC

On 16/01/2024 07:47 am, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 16/01/24 06:54, Simon Mason wrote:
>> A new study from researchers at the University of Edinburgh has
>> highlighted the beneficial impact on mental health that cycling to
>> work can have, with those who commute by bike less likely to be
>> prescribed antidepressants.
>>
>> The research published today in the International Journal of
>> Epidemiology (link is external) is the work of Chris Dibben, Laurie
>> Berrie, Zhiqiang Feng, David Rice, Tom Clemens and Lee Williamson, and
>> is titled: 'Does cycle commuting reduce the risk of mental ill-health?
>> An instrumental variable analysis using distance to nearest cycle path'.
>>
>> Linking commuting data from Glasgow and Edinburgh, accessed via the
>> Scottish population census, with mental health prescriptions from the
>> National Health Service Prescribing Information System records,
>> researchers were able to note cycle commuters had a lower level of
>> mental health prescriptions than among other commuter types.
>>
>> A mean average 15 per cent reduction in prescriptions for
>> antidepressants in the five years following the census was estimated
>> for those who travel to work by bike compared with those using any
>> other mode of commuting.
>>
>> "This work suggests that cycle commuting is causally related to
>> reduced mental ill-health and provides further evidence in support of
>> the promotion of active travel to encourage commuters travelling
>> shorter distances to shift to cycle commutes," the research concluded.
>>
>> At the time of the census just 1.85 per cent of commuters in Glasgow
>> and 4.8 per cent of commuters in Edinburgh cycled to work. Speaking to
>> STV (link is external), the professor who led the study, Chris Dibben,
>> commented: "Our finding that this economical and sustainable method of
>> travelling to work also enhances mental health suggests that a policy
>> of investing in cycle paths and encouraging active commuting is likely
>> to have wide-ranging benefits.
>> In total, 378,253 people aged 16 to 74 and living and working in the
>> City of Edinburgh and Glasgow City council areas at the time of the
>> 2011 census, and who lived within one mile of a cycle path, were
>> included in the study. Among cyclists, nine per cent were found to
>> have a prescription for mental health, compared with 14 per cent in
>> the non-cyclist category.
>>
>> "Not only could this improve people's mental health, it could also
>> help reduce carbon emissions, road congestion and air pollution."
>>
>> Dr Laurie Berrie added: "Our study used the fact that otherwise
>> similar people are more likely to cycle to work if they live close to
>> a cycle path. Using this property, it was possible to mimic a
>> randomised controlled trial and compare the mental health of those who
>> cycled to work to those using other modes of transport but who were
>> otherwise comparable."
>>
>> https://road.cc/content/news/new-study-finds-cycle-commuting-can-improve-mental-health-306203
>>

> Fatal word 'can'.

Indeed.

We have copious evidence to the effect that it has the opposite effect
on some!

The ones who imagine that they can fly, for instance.

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<6114e30b-b087-48e0-af75-283b13fe0c64n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34127&group=uk.rec.cycling#34127

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 09:41:56 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:41 UTC

"Not only could this (cycling) improve people's mental health, it could also help reduce carbon emissions, road congestion and air pollution."

on Sunday I was cycling through Camden (N London) when this car started hooting, then raced past me, brake checked me, then raced another 20m and slammed the brakes on cos the lights were red. I drew up alongside and looked at the bloke, he wound his window down, I asked him why he hooted at me and then he started a demented scream out about cycling in the middle of the road, I'm gonna run you over etc. He definitely was mental. I told him to calm down and then cycled off whilst he remained in the traffic. I could still hear him screaming in the distance. "

:-0

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<l0o76fFc696U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34130&group=uk.rec.cycling#34130

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 20:27:59 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 20:27 UTC

On 16/01/2024 05:41 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> "Not only could this (cycling) improve people's mental health, it could also help reduce carbon emissions, road congestion and air pollution."

> on Sunday I was cycling through Camden (N London) when this car started hooting, then raced past me, brake checked me, then raced another 20m and slammed the brakes on cos the lights were red. I drew up alongside and looked at the bloke, he wound his window down, I asked him why he hooted at me and then he started a demented scream out about cycling in the middle of the road, I'm gonna run you over etc. He definitely was mental. I told him to calm down and then cycled off whilst he remained in the traffic. I could still hear him screaming in the distance. "
>
> :-0

Did you go all the way from 'Ull to Camden on your chav-bike?

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<b27eba6f-2449-425a-904c-75b67a8c1dd4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34133&group=uk.rec.cycling#34133

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:49:31 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:49 UTC

Brauchsel replied to ReadingCyclist | 4 hours ago
0 likes

I haven't read the study, but the authors' conclusion is that there is a causal link rather than simply a correlation. If they're right, then it's not the other way round.

The article also notes a reduction in prescriptions over time for the group who both cycled and had a mental health issue, which also points to the likely direction of causality.

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<l0olr3Ff5abU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34139&group=uk.rec.cycling#34139

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 00:37:55 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 00:37 UTC

On 16/01/2024 09:49 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Brauchsel replied to ReadingCyclist | 4 hours ago
> 0 likes

> I haven't read the study, but the authors' conclusion is that there is a causal link rather than simply a correlation. If they're right, then it's not the other way round.
>
> The article also notes a reduction in prescriptions over time for the group who both cycled and had a mental health issue, which also points to the likely direction of causality.

Oh... the irony...

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<uo7e3g$1mrsu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34141&group=uk.rec.cycling#34141

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:30:08 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 02:30 UTC

On 17/01/24 01:03, Simon Mason wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> "Not only could this improve people's mental health, it could also help reduce carbon emissions, road congestion and air pollution."
>>>
>>> Dr Laurie Berrie added: "Our study used the fact that otherwise similar people are more likely to cycle to work if they live close to a cycle path. Using this property, it was possible to mimic a randomised controlled trial and compare the mental health of those who cycled to work to those using other modes of transport but who were otherwise comparable."
>>>
>>> https://road.cc/content/news/new-study-finds-cycle-commuting-can-improve-mental-health-306203
>> Fatal word 'can'.
>
> The "Theory of Evolution" is still just a theory. :-/

And the price of oysters is still too high.

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<b2d53782-7747-4bb5-ab0e-3f49b940e91en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34146&group=uk.rec.cycling#34146

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 01:08:58 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 09:08 UTC

On Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 2:30:12 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:

> > The "Theory of Evolution" is still just a theory. :-/
> And the price of oysters is still too high.

We can't eat them in the UK due to Brexit allowing water companies the freedom to pump raw sewage into rivers and seas.
Pesky EU laws didn't allow this disgusting act of pollution.

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<l0pkdqFkvm4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34149&group=uk.rec.cycling#34149

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 17 Jan 2024 09:19:54 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 09:19 UTC

Peter Keller <muzhmuzh@centrum.sk> wrote:
> On 17/01/24 01:03, Simon Mason wrote:

>>> Fatal word 'can'.
>>
>> The "Theory of Evolution" is still just a theory. :-/
>
> And the price of oysters is still too high.

And the report still has the same selective basis in it, even when twice
reposted.

--
Spike

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<6a2f3b05-9005-459f-aa00-70a1a62d32can@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34153&group=uk.rec.cycling#34153

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 06:20:10 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:20 UTC

On Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 9:09:00 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 2:30:12 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:
>

> > > The "Theory of Evolution" is still just a theory. :-/
> > And the price of oysters is still too high.
> We can't eat them in the UK due to Brexit allowing water companies the freedom to pump raw sewage into rivers and seas.
> Pesky EU laws didn't allow this disgusting act of pollution.

LONDON — A woman picks up a packet of “Ardennes-style pâté” before dropping it in disgust. “I’m throwing it out,” she tweets, adding, “We are now eating any old shit.”

Is the pâté past its sell-by date? In fact, the answer lies in a small, post-Brexit detail on the packaging.

New rules requiring foods to carry “not for EU” labels are already sparking confusion — and, in some cases, outright disgust — from U.K. shoppers, as experts warn the new policy risks leaving Brits in the dark and wrongly suggesting the items are produced to lower standards.

Since October last year, all meat and some dairy products moving from Great Britain to be sold in Northern Ireland have been required to carry the labels. The move, introduced as part of the Windsor Framework between the U.K. and EU, is meant to ensure goods aren’t moved onward into the Republic of Ireland, an EU member country.

But the British government is going further.

From October 2024, all meat and dairy products sold across the U.K. will also have to carry the labels, to ensure food sold in Great Britain can also be sold in Northern Ireland. The requirement will be applied to more products from July 2025.

Although the U.K.-wide requirements are not implemented until later this year, some supermarkets in England appear to already be using the labeling system in preparation for the rollout, much to the confusion of shoppers, several of whom have taken to X, formerly Twitter, to share their consternation.
‘Special’ Brexit milk

One shopper contemplating buying some milk wrote: “My milk now says ‘not for EU’ on it — can you confirm that this is just because of U.K. red tape and that it still complies with EU safety standards? I’d hate to think it’s ‘special’ Brexit milk that’s not safe for Europeans.”

Another posted a picture of some ham in Sainsbury’s, moaning: “We presume not meeting EU food safety standards. Good enough for little Englanders who thrive on second-rate everything though.”

IT'S WHAT YOU VOTED FOR, BREXTARD.

TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC TROLLING, RANTING POST from May Sun: "New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health"

<l0q7e7F4dhU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34159&group=uk.rec.cycling#34159

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC TROLLING, RANTING POST from May Sun: "New research
finds commuting by bike can improve mental health"
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:44:23 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 14:44 UTC

On 17/01/2024 02:20 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

>>> And the price of oysters is still too high.

>> We can't eat them in the UK due to Brexit allowing water companies the freedom to pump raw sewage into rivers and seas.
>> Pesky EU laws didn't allow this disgusting act of pollution.
>
> LONDON — A woman picks up a packet of “Ardennes-style pâté” before dropping it in disgust. “I’m throwing it out,” she tweets, adding, “We are now eating any old shit.”
> Is the pâté past its sell-by date? In fact, the answer lies in a small, post-Brexit detail on the packaging.
> New rules requiring foods to carry “not for EU” labels are already sparking confusion — and, in some cases, outright disgust — from U.K. shoppers, as experts warn the new policy risks leaving Brits in the dark and wrongly suggesting the items are produced to lower standards.
> Since October last year, all meat and some dairy products moving from Great Britain to be sold in Northern Ireland have been required to carry the labels. The move, introduced as part of the Windsor Framework between the U.K. and EU, is meant to ensure goods aren’t moved onward into the Republic of Ireland, an EU member country.
> But the British government is going further.
> From October 2024, all meat and dairy products sold across the U.K. will also have to carry the labels, to ensure food sold in Great Britain can also be sold in Northern Ireland. The requirement will be applied to more products from July 2025.
> Although the U.K.-wide requirements are not implemented until later this year, some supermarkets in England appear to already be using the labeling system in preparation for the rollout, much to the confusion of shoppers, several of whom have taken to X, formerly Twitter, to share their consternation.
> ‘Special’ Brexit milk
> One shopper contemplating buying some milk wrote: “My milk now says ‘not for EU’ on it — can you confirm that this is just because of U.K. red tape and that it still complies with EU safety standards? I’d hate to think it’s ‘special’ Brexit milk that’s not safe for Europeans.”
> Another posted a picture of some ham in Sainsbury’s, moaning: “We presume not meeting EU food safety standards. Good enough for little Englanders who thrive on second-rate everything though.”
> IT'S WHAT YOU VOTED FOR, BREXTARD.

Odd... he was replying to HIMSELF with that last remark.

Re: TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC TROLLING, RANTING POST from May Sun: "New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health"

<l0qa4cFngkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34160&group=uk.rec.cycling#34160

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: TOTALLY OFF-TOPIC TROLLING, RANTING POST from May Sun:
"New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health"
Date: 17 Jan 2024 15:30:20 GMT
 by: Spike - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 15:30 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 17/01/2024 02:20 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

>> Another posted a picture of some ham in Sainsbury’s, moaning: “We
>> presume not meeting EU food safety standards. Good enough for little
>> Englanders who thrive on second-rate everything though.”

>> IT'S WHAT YOU VOTED FOR, BREXTARD.

> Odd... he was replying to HIMSELF with that last remark.

Aren’t EU food standards lower than those of the UK?

There’s ‘EU food’, and ‘EU food to UK standards’ that command higher
prices.

This looks interesting, too:

<https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/sourcing/how-do-uk-food-standards-differ-from-the-rest-of-the-world/645635.article>

--
Spike

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<fc042481-e81f-447e-81bb-ab0587a7a583n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34164&group=uk.rec.cycling#34164

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 10:29:32 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 18:29 UTC

On Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 2:30:12 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:

> And the price of oysters is still too high.

English shellfish could be contaminated with sewage as untreated human waste was dumped 29,000 times by water companies last year in the water where they are cultivated.

The new statistics found sewage was dumped into waters containing shellfish for 207,013 hours in one year. The worst offenders were South West, Southern Water and Anglian Water. There are fears that this could be happening again this year.

Some of England’s best-known fishing areas have been marred by sewage, raising fears the shellfish could be contaminated. The longest sewage dump event into shellfish water last year took place at Morecambe Bay by United Utilities, lasting 5,000 hours. However, Environment Agency data shows the sewage monitor worked only 15% of the time, meaning that figure could be much higher. In Sussex, Southern Water dumped sewage into Chichester Harbour for 4,996 hours in just one overflow.

The Liberal Democrats have called for a sewage tax on water companies, pointing out that firms that pump sewage into lakes and rivers made more than £2.8bn in profits, with large amounts going out in dividends for shareholders and bonuses for executives.

They say that the tax on their profits would produce a fund worth hundreds of millions to prevent sewage polluting rivers.

Tim Farron, the Liberal Democrat environment spokesperson, said: “England’s treasured shellfish, our prawn, crayfish, lobsters and crabs, are the forgotten victims of this environmental scandal.

“The past week we’ve seen our beaches closed because of these polluting water companies. All the while, they are raking in billions of pounds in profits and forking out eye-watering bonuses to their CEOs. Frankly, the whole thing stinks.

“Conservative MPs voted against a ban on sewage dumping. That means right now water companies are still pumping disgusting sewage into the homes of shellfish.”

The shellfish industry has recently been hit by sewage pollution. Whitstable oyster festival, arguably England’s largest celebration of the bivalve, was marred by sewage fears in 2021 after diners fell ill with suspected poisoning.

Earlier this year, the director of Whistable Oyster Company, James Green, spoke of the effect that sewage dumping had had on the industry.

He said: “After the first spill event at the end of June, the next three months we had close to zero sales as each time we tried to open, there was another spill event and associated cases of norovirus.”

He said sales had recovered since the incidents, but asked: “How is Southern Water going to compensate both the industry and the people that will lose their jobs if their use of combined sewer overflows continues on a regular basis due to a lack of infrastructure investment?”

Southern Water said at the time that the sources of bacteria getting into the sea were “many and varied” and not simply from its discharges.

A spokesperson for Water UK, which represents water firms, said: “Water companies agree there is an urgent need for action to tackle the harm caused to the environment by spills from storm overflows and wastewater treatment works. They are investing over £3bn to improve overflows as part of a wider national programme to improve the environment between 2020 and 2025.

“However, companies want to go further, faster and are pushing to be able to spend more, and for processes to be streamlined so that investment can be quickly targeted where it is needed most. Any new investment must be combined with action from government on wet wipes and urban creep that are increasingly triggering spills.

“Water companies can’t do this alone which is why we’re also calling for government, regulators, water companies, agriculture, and other sectors to come together as soon as possible to deliver a comprehensive national plan to bring about the transformation in our rivers and waterways we all want to see.”

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<l0r82eF6g7gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34180&group=uk.rec.cycling#34180

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 00:01:18 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 00:01 UTC

On 17/01/2024 06:29 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 2:30:12 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:
>
>> And the price of oysters is still too high.
>
> English shellfish could be contaminated with sewage as untreated human waste was dumped 29,000 times by water companies last year in the water where they are cultivated.
> The new statistics found sewage was dumped into waters containing shellfish for 207,013 hours in one year. The worst offenders were South West, Southern Water and Anglian Water. There are fears that this could be happening again this year.
> Some of England’s best-known fishing areas have been marred by sewage, raising fears the shellfish could be contaminated. The longest sewage dump event into shellfish water last year took place at Morecambe Bay by United Utilities, lasting 5,000 hours. However, Environment Agency data shows the sewage monitor worked only 15% of the time, meaning that figure could be much higher. In Sussex, Southern Water dumped sewage into Chichester Harbour for 4,996 hours in just one overflow.
> The Liberal Democrats have called for a sewage tax on water companies, pointing out that firms that pump sewage into lakes and rivers made more than £2.8bn in profits, with large amounts going out in dividends for shareholders and bonuses for executives.

Do the LibDims not know that what they have described for crestacean and
mollusc seafood applies the world over?

Do they (and you) "think" that no sewage is discharged into the
Mediterranean? Or into any of the inshore waters around Africa and South
America?

> They say that the tax on their profits would produce a fund worth hundreds of millions to prevent sewage polluting rivers.
> Tim Farron, the Liberal Democrat environment spokesperson, said: “England’s treasured shellfish, our prawn, crayfish, lobsters and crabs, are the forgotten victims of this environmental scandal.

None of them are likely to survive, if that's what you meant.

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<uoakvf$2gj95$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34186&group=uk.rec.cycling#34186

From: muzhm...@centrum.sk (Peter Keller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 20:45:51 +1300
 by: Peter Keller - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 07:45 UTC

On 18/01/24 13:01, JNugent wrote:
> On 17/01/2024 06:29 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, January 17, 2024 at 2:30:12 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:
>>
>>> And the price of oysters is still too high.
>>
>> English shellfish could be contaminated with sewage as untreated human
>> waste was dumped 29,000 times by water companies last year in the
>> water where they are cultivated.
>> The new statistics found sewage was dumped into waters containing
>> shellfish for 207,013 hours in one year. The worst offenders were
>> South West, Southern Water and Anglian Water. There are fears that
>> this could be happening again this year.
>> Some of England’s best-known fishing areas have been marred by sewage,
>> raising fears the shellfish could be contaminated. The longest sewage
>> dump event into shellfish water last year took place at Morecambe Bay
>> by United Utilities, lasting 5,000 hours. However, Environment Agency
>> data shows the sewage monitor worked only 15% of the time, meaning
>> that figure could be much higher. In Sussex, Southern Water dumped
>> sewage into Chichester Harbour for 4,996 hours in just one overflow.
>> The Liberal Democrats have called for a sewage tax on water companies,
>> pointing out that firms that pump sewage into lakes and rivers made
>> more than £2.8bn in profits, with large amounts going out in dividends
>> for shareholders and bonuses for executives.
>
> Do the LibDims not know that what they have described for crestacean and
> mollusc seafood applies the world over?
>
> Do they (and you) "think" that no sewage is discharged into the
> Mediterranean? Or into any of the inshore waters around Africa and South
> America?
>
>> They say that the tax on their profits would produce a fund worth
>> hundreds of millions to prevent sewage polluting rivers.
>> Tim Farron, the Liberal Democrat environment spokesperson, said:
>> “England’s treasured shellfish, our prawn, crayfish, lobsters and
>> crabs, are the forgotten victims of this environmental scandal.
>
> None of them are likely to survive, if that's what you meant.

This thread was something about biking and mental health.
Then it changed to the (un)connected subject of shellfish.
Sorry about that, guv.

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<l0s900Fcl2hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34189&group=uk.rec.cycling#34189

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 18 Jan 2024 09:23:12 GMT
 by: Spike - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 09:23 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 17/01/2024 06:29 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

>> The Liberal Democrats have called for a sewage tax on water companies,
>> pointing out that firms that pump sewage into lakes and rivers made more
>> than £2.8bn in profits, with large amounts going out in dividends for
>> shareholders and bonuses for executives.

> Do the LibDims not know that what they have described for crestacean and
> mollusc seafood applies the world over?

> Do they (and you) "think" that no sewage is discharged into the
> Mediterranean? Or into any of the inshore waters around Africa and South America?

A blow to Mason’s Little Englander worldview; one wonders what the LimpDems
are doing about it, other than cynically using it as an election ploy:

“More than 80% of the world’s sewage is discharged untreated into the
environment. In some places, the percentage is even higher (e.g., 85% in
the Caribbean) or the ocean actually is the toilet (known as ocean
defecation)”

[is village green defaecation more acceptable, if done by cyclists?]

<https://octogroup.org/news/more-80-worlds-sewage-discharged-environment-untreated/>

--
Spike

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<1c6f2bfb-033a-4d05-8936-08e5b82530fan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34190&group=uk.rec.cycling#34190

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 01:24:51 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 09:24 UTC

On Thursday, January 18, 2024 at 7:45:54 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:

> This thread was something about biking and mental health.
> Then it changed to the (un)connected subject of shellfish.
> Sorry about that, guv.

You mentioned the price of oysters. Due to Brexit "freedoms".

"Sewage spills threaten to ‘wipe out’ Whitstable’s oyster farmers"
On a sunny day over the Easter weekend, Whitstable’s seafood stalls had tourists queueing down the harbour front for their prized oysters.

With the shellfish selling at up to £4 each — £1.50 for smaller ones — the oyster sellers are still doing a roaring trade locally. But the future of the seafood industry is in the balance because of a series of sewage spills marring its reputation.

The Whitstable Oyster Fishery Company (WOFC) was devastated last summer following revelations of Southern Water sewage leaks along the coast. At a public meeting in February, fishermen condemned the water company for “destroying” the Kent town’s reputation for seafood.

After the first spill event at the end of June, the next three months we had close to zero sales as each time we tried to open, there was another spill event and associated cases of norovirus.”

He said the company employs 12 people on its farm directly and many more depending on the supply of oysters.

Green asked: “How is Southern Water going to compensate both the industry and the people that will lose their jobs if their use of combined sewer overflows continues on a regular basis due to a lack of infrastructure investment?”
Ed Acteson, a founder member of SOS Whitstable, a campaign group, told The Times: “The impact of sewage pollution and the reputation damage caused to fishing in Whitstable is potentially terminal for the industry down here. People are associating Whitstable with sewage and they don’t want to eat something that has been caught in the sea here.

“Local fishermen are either selling up their boats or moving to different coastal areas away from pollution. Our heritage, which goes back centuries, is being wiped out by Southern Water.”

Graham West, who heads West Whelks in the town’s harbour, told Kent Online that 150 years of heritage had “gone out of the window in one hit”. He blamed Southern Water dumping wastewater into the sea for his struggle to sell shellfish.

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<l0sv4dFhpgfU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34196&group=uk.rec.cycling#34196

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:41:01 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:41 UTC

On 18/01/2024 07:45 am, Peter Keller wrote:
> On 18/01/24 13:01, JNugent wrote:

>>> English shellfish could be contaminated with sewage as untreated
>>> human waste was dumped 29,000 times by water companies last year in
>>> the water where they are cultivated.
>>> The new statistics found sewage was dumped into waters containing
>>> shellfish for 207,013 hours in one year. The worst offenders were
>>> South West, Southern Water and Anglian Water. There are fears that
>>> this could be happening again this year.
>>> Some of England’s best-known fishing areas have been marred by
>>> sewage, raising fears the shellfish could be contaminated. The
>>> longest sewage dump event into shellfish water last year took place
>>> at Morecambe Bay by United Utilities, lasting 5,000 hours. However,
>>> Environment Agency data shows the sewage monitor worked only 15% of
>>> the time, meaning that figure could be much higher. In Sussex,
>>> Southern Water dumped sewage into Chichester Harbour for 4,996 hours
>>> in just one overflow.
>>> The Liberal Democrats have called for a sewage tax on water
>>> companies, pointing out that firms that pump sewage into lakes and
>>> rivers made more than £2.8bn in profits, with large amounts going out
>>> in dividends for shareholders and bonuses for executives.
>>
>> Do the LibDims not know that what they have described for crestacean
>> and mollusc seafood applies the world over?
>>
>> Do they (and you) "think" that no sewage is discharged into the
>> Mediterranean? Or into any of the inshore waters around Africa and
>> South America?
>>
>>> They say that the tax on their profits would produce a fund worth
>>> hundreds of millions to prevent sewage polluting rivers.
>>> Tim Farron, the Liberal Democrat environment spokesperson, said:
>>> “England’s treasured shellfish, our prawn, crayfish, lobsters and
>>> crabs, are the forgotten victims of this environmental scandal.
>>
>> None of them are likely to survive, if that's what you meant.
>
> This thread was something about biking and mental health.
> Then it changed to the (un)connected subject of shellfish.
> Sorry about that, guv.

It happens...

Don't fret.

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<l0sv6vFhpgfU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34197&group=uk.rec.cycling#34197

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:42:23 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:42 UTC

On 18/01/2024 09:23 am, Spike wrote:
> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 17/01/2024 06:29 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
>
>>> The Liberal Democrats have called for a sewage tax on water companies,
>>> pointing out that firms that pump sewage into lakes and rivers made more
>>> than £2.8bn in profits, with large amounts going out in dividends for
>>> shareholders and bonuses for executives.
>
>> Do the LibDims not know that what they have described for crestacean and
>> mollusc seafood applies the world over?
>
>> Do they (and you) "think" that no sewage is discharged into the
>> Mediterranean? Or into any of the inshore waters around Africa and South America?
>
> A blow to Mason’s Little Englander worldview; one wonders what the LimpDems
> are doing about it, other than cynically using it as an election ploy:
>
> “More than 80% of the world’s sewage is discharged untreated into the
> environment. In some places, the percentage is even higher (e.g., 85% in
> the Caribbean) or the ocean actually is the toilet (known as ocean
> defecation)”
>
> [is village green defaecation more acceptable, if done by cyclists?]

He never wants to respond on that point.

Either he "thinks" that the practise is acceptable or he is (rightly)
ashamed of it.

> <https://octogroup.org/news/more-80-worlds-sewage-discharged-environment-untreated/>

Re: New research finds commuting by bike can improve mental health

<l0svh2FhseeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34198&group=uk.rec.cycling#34198

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:47:46 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:47 UTC

On 18/01/2024 09:24 am, Simon Mason wrote:
> On Thursday, January 18, 2024 at 7:45:54 AM UTC, Peter Keller wrote:
>
>> This thread was something about biking and mental health.
>> Then it changed to the (un)connected subject of shellfish.
>> Sorry about that, guv.
>
> You mentioned the price of oysters. Due to Brexit "freedoms".
>
> "Sewage spills threaten to ‘wipe out’ Whitstable’s oyster farmers"
> On a sunny day over the Easter weekend, Whitstable’s seafood stalls had tourists queueing down the harbour front for their prized oysters.
>
> With the shellfish selling at up to £4 each — £1.50 for smaller ones — the oyster sellers are still doing a roaring trade locally. But the future of the seafood industry is in the balance because of a series of sewage spills marring its reputation.
>
> The Whitstable Oyster Fishery Company (WOFC) was devastated last summer following revelations of Southern Water sewage leaks along the coast. At a public meeting in February, fishermen condemned the water company for “destroying” the Kent town’s reputation for seafood.
>
> After the first spill event at the end of June, the next three months we had close to zero sales as each time we tried to open, there was another spill event and associated cases of norovirus.”
>
> He said the company employs 12 people on its farm directly and many more depending on the supply of oysters.
>
> Green asked: “How is Southern Water going to compensate both the industry and the people that will lose their jobs if their use of combined sewer overflows continues on a regular basis due to a lack of infrastructure investment?”
> Ed Acteson, a founder member of SOS Whitstable, a campaign group, told The Times: “The impact of sewage pollution and the reputation damage caused to fishing in Whitstable is potentially terminal for the industry down here. People are associating Whitstable with sewage and they don’t want to eat something that has been caught in the sea here.
>
> “Local fishermen are either selling up their boats or moving to different coastal areas away from pollution. Our heritage, which goes back centuries, is being wiped out by Southern Water.”
>
> Graham West, who heads West Whelks in the town’s harbour, told Kent Online that 150 years of heritage had “gone out of the window in one hit”. He blamed Southern Water dumping wastewater into the sea for his struggle to sell shellfish.

<https://www.in.gov/dnr/fish-and-wildlife/wildlife-resources/animals/freshwater-mussels/#:~:text=Diet,bacteria%20trapped%20by%20their%20gills.

QUOTE:
Mussels live their entire adult life embedded in the bottom of streams,
lakes and rivers [and, elsewhere than in Indiana, in the sea - Ed.].
They mostly stay in one place their entire life, but can use their
single foot to move short distances along the bottom of a waterway.

Diet
Mussels are filter feeders. They eat detritus (decaying organic
material), plankton (microscopic plants and animals), and bacteria
trapped by their gills.
ENDQUOTE

Don't worry too much about bi-valve mollusc shellfish.

They LOVE sewage. It's their favourite food.