You can't hug a child with nuclear arms.

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.

SubjectAuthor
* Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.Simon Mason
+- Off-Topic Troll Post from May Sun: "Driver fined over £1500 for littering from hJNugent
+* Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.Simon Mason
|`* Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.JNugent
| `- Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.Spike
`* Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.Simon Mason
 +* Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.Simon Mason
 |`* Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.Simon Mason
 | +- Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.JNugent
 | `* Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.Simon Mason
 |  +- Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.JNugent
 |  `- Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.Simon Mason
 `- MORE May Sun UPP-TOPIC TROLLING: "Driver fined over £1500 for littering from hisJNugent

1
Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.

<465e54de-746e-413a-a1ba-a078d434c210n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34084&group=uk.rec.cycling#34084

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 12:25:33 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Driver_fined_over_£1500_for_littering_from_his_car.
_
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 20:25 UTC

A driver has been ordered to pay a fine of £440, costs of £886 and a victim surcharge of £176 for disposing of litter onto a road from his car window.

On 31st January 2023, a member of the public witnessed waste being thrown from the passenger window of a black ford focus on Carlton Road, Worksop. A DVLA search of the car’s licence plate showed it belonged to Luke Banton of Broom Avenue, Rotherham.

Mr Banton was twice invited to undertake a written interview under caution. He failed to respond on either occasion.

He was then invited to attend an interview under caution at Bassetlaw District Council offices on 16th March 2023, which he also failed to attend.

As the registered owner of the vehicle, Mr Banton was issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice which gave him 28 days to pay £100. When no payment was received the case was then taken to court.

Mr Banton was invited to and failed to attend Mansfield Magistrates Court on 27th July 2023. The case was proven in his absence and he was ordered to pay a fine and costs within 28 days.

Cllr Darrel Pulk, Cabinet member for Environment and Energy said:

“This case is a great example of how the public can work with us to help catch those littering in our district.

“Throwing litter from a vehicle can be dangerous for other vehicles, our wildlife and shows a total lack of respect for our residents and local community.

“I can think of far better things to spend £1500 on. So please, take your litter home with you and put it in a bin, otherwise it could be very costly.”

Bassetlaw District Council’s current ‘Don’t be a Tos53r campaign’ is focusing on the issue of drivers and passengers throwing rubbish from their vehicles. When reporting litter being thrown from a vehicle please provide as much information as possible including the registration plate, the make and model of the car, location of the offence and any description of the person committing the offence.

https://www.bassetlaw.gov.uk/media-centre/news/news-archive/august-2023/driver-fined-over-1500-for-littering-from-his-car/

Off-Topic Troll Post from May Sun: "Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car" No Chav-Cycling content of any sort.

<l0ln77FrmvtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34089&group=uk.rec.cycling#34089

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Off-Topic_Troll_Post_from_May_Sun:_"Driver_fined_over
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:43:04 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 21:43 UTC

On 15/01/2024 08:25 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> A driver has been ordered to pay a fine of £440, costs of £886 and a victim surcharge of £176 for disposing of litter onto a road from his car window.
> On 31st January 2023, a member of the public witnessed waste being thrown from the passenger window of a black ford focus on Carlton Road, Worksop. A DVLA search of the car’s licence plate showed it belonged to Luke Banton of Broom Avenue, Rotherham.
> Mr Banton was twice invited to undertake a written interview under caution. He failed to respond on either occasion.

Nobody is obliged to take part in an interview under caution.

You ought to know that, M'Lud.

> He was then invited to attend an interview under caution at Bassetlaw District Council offices on 16th March 2023, which he also failed to attend.

....as was his right.

> As the registered owner of the vehicle, Mr Banton was issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice which gave him 28 days to pay £100. When no payment was received...

....as was his right...

....the case was then taken to court.

> Mr Banton was invited to and failed to attend Mansfield Magistrates Court on 27th July 2023. The case was proven in his absence and he was ordered to pay a fine and costs within 28 days.
> Cllr Darrel Pulk, Cabinet member for Environment and Energy said:
> “This case is a great example of how the public can work with us to help catch those littering in our district.
> “Throwing litter from a vehicle can be dangerous for other vehicles, our wildlife and shows a total lack of respect for our residents and local community.

True enough. Ask the residents of villages in the Surrey Hills.
They'll mention chavs on (or temporarily off) chav-bikes and the
disgusting things they leave behind ("behind" being the operative word).

> “I can think of far better things to spend £1500 on. So please, take your litter home with you and put it in a bin, otherwise it could be very costly.”
> Bassetlaw District Council’s current ‘Don’t be a Tos53r campaign’ is focusing on the issue of drivers and passengers throwing rubbish from their vehicles. When reporting litter being thrown from a vehicle please provide as much information as possible including the registration plate, the make and model of the car, location of the offence and any description of the person committing the offence.
>
> https://www.bassetlaw.gov.uk/media-centre/news/news-archive/august-2023/driver-fined-over-1500-for-littering-from-his-car/

Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.

<939e04d0-828a-41f5-8a86-f4e6b7ade553n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34091&group=uk.rec.cycling#34091

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:02:28 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re:_Driver_fined_over_£1500_for_littering_from_his_
car.
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 22:02 UTC

QUOTE: “Throwing litter from a vehicle can be dangerous for other vehicles, our wildlife and shows a total lack of respect for our residents and local community. ENDS

You ought to see what the workmen who install new bathrooms dump in the countryside.

https://i2-prod.essexlive.news/incoming/article8636554.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/363292978_10160999868156667_4192156586933803640_n.jpg

Utter scumbags.

Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.

<l0lpocFs4pgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34094&group=uk.rec.cycling#34094

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_car.
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 22:26:20 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 15 Jan 2024 22:26 UTC

On 15/01/2024 10:02 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: “Throwing litter from a vehicle can be dangerous for other vehicles [and for] our wildlife and shows a total lack of respect for our residents and local community. ENDS

[No charge for the grammatical correction.]

> You ought to see what the workmen who install new bathrooms dump in the countryside.
>
> https://i2-prod.essexlive.news/incoming/article8636554.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/363292978_10160999868156667_4192156586933803640_n.jpg
>
> Utter scumbags.

You'd think they'd at least have the decency to take their rubbish home
and dump it in a pit in the floor of their garage, eh?

Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.

<f6bb9f94-1d60-4811-8f7f-8b787d8d2108n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34097&group=uk.rec.cycling#34097

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:38:31 -0800 (PST)
car.
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:38 UTC

QUOTE:
“Throwing litter from a vehicle can be dangerous for other vehicles, our wildlife and shows a total lack of respect for our residents and local community.ENDS

So many poor animals are harmed by getting trapped in the mounds of rubbish lobbed onto motorway verges.

QUOTE: Ju 11 months ago

I have recently travelled from North Wales to The Trossacks in Scotland and also NW to Eastbourne. I can confirm that most of the motorways and A roads are ankle deep in rubbish. Alot of it is caught up in the hedgerows, which are the wildlife’s corridors. It’s truly horrific and depressing. I despair of the people of this country and our authorities who allow this to continue. Police crime tape is a major contributor also bits of car wreckage. Various council cones and rusty metal signs left behind. When the people who are supposed to uphold the law do it what hope is there. I shudder to think what foreign visitors must think of us. Shame on you litter louts and authorities you’re disgusting. ENDS

Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.

<l0mvk3F4ad0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34100&group=uk.rec.cycling#34100

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Driver fined over £1500
for littering from his car.
Date: 16 Jan 2024 09:12:35 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 09:12 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 15/01/2024 10:02 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
>
>> QUOTE: “Throwing litter from a vehicle can be dangerous for other
>> vehicles [and for] our wildlife and shows a total lack of respect for
>> our residents and local community. ENDS
>
> [No charge for the grammatical correction.]
>>
>> You ought to see what the workmen who install new bathrooms dump in the countryside.
>>
>> https://i2-prod.essexlive.news/incoming/article8636554.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/363292978_10160999868156667_4192156586933803640_n.jpg
>>
>> Utter scumbags.

> You'd think they'd at least have the decency to take their rubbish home
> and dump it in a pit in the floor of their garage, eh?

'Selfish cyclists' slammed for dropping empty gel packs in Richmond park,
risking the lives of deer

<https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/selfish-cyclists-slammed-for-dropping-litter-after-richmond-park-deer-deaths-a3350046.html>

Utter scumbags.

--
Spike

Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.

<573f8cda-35d8-43e4-900f-a4ad125968f2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34105&group=uk.rec.cycling#34105

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 04:05:00 -0800 (PST)
car.
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:05 UTC

On Tuesday, January 16, 2024 at 8:38:33 AM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE:
> “Throwing litter from a vehicle can be dangerous for other vehicles, our wildlife and shows a total lack of respect for our residents and local community.ENDS

Everyday objects that seem perfectly safe can become hazardous when animals come into close contact with them. By binning our rubbish safely instead of littering, we're making choices that could save many lives.

Protecting animals from harmful rubbish is easy. Dispose of your rubbish responsibly by recycling, reusing or simply putting it in the bin!
Plastic bags

Animals can climb inside plastic bags and suffocate, or attempt to eat them and choke. Simply tying a knot in the top of plastic bags before recycling can help prevent deaths.
Plastic can holders

Animals can also get entangled in plastic can holders and suffer deep wounds or even choke. Always cut the loops before recycling.
Balloons

Balloons and discarded decorations are a choking hazard as some animals may try to eat them. Balloon releases are also very threatening to wildlife. Even biodegradable balloons could still take weeks to degrade. Remember it only takes a second or two for an animal to swallow a balloon fragment. Always deflate balloons and cut them up before putting them safely into your bin. It's really that simple!
Sky lanterns

Sky lanterns/Chinese lanterns can seriously injure animals if eaten, or become entangled or trapped by them.

Read more about sky lanterns and environmentally-friendly alternatives.
Containers and cans

Animals looking for food can get trapped in cans or injured by sharp edges. To prevent harm to animals:

Clean and empty cans/tubs after use
Pinch cans shut
Cut containers in half before recycling where possible

Elastic bands

Elastic bands seem harmless but can wrap around small animals and the beaks of birds. If swallowed, they can also cause choking. Reuse bands where possible, or cut them open before putting them in the bin.
Fishing tackle

Fishing litter injures thousands of wild animals every year. Animals get entangled in lines and hooks can pierce the skin or be swallowed. By fishing responsibly, you can avoid accidental harm to the local wildlife and environment.

Read our top tips for anglers and how to fish responsibly.
Glass

Broken glass can also cause serious injury. It's easy for animals to become trapped in jars. Always clean and recycle glass to help prevent injuries and avoid unnecessary harm.
Vapes

There are 1.3 million disposable vapes thrown away weekly in the UK. This new type of litter is polluting the environment and placing wildlife at risk.. Many people are unaware of how to safely dispose of used vapes by putting them in with their general waste. Worse still, discarding them on the street. Vapes become a choking hazard to wildlife unless thrown away properly.

MORE May Sun UPP-TOPIC TROLLING: "Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car." No chav-cycling content.

<l0nnldF91ruU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34116&group=uk.rec.cycling#34116

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: MORE_May_Sun_UPP-TOPIC_TROLLING:_"Driver_fined_over_
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 16:02:53 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 16:02 UTC

On 16/01/2024 08:38 am, Simon May Sun wrote:

> QUOTE:
> “Throwing litter from a vehicle can be dangerous for other vehicles, our wildlife and shows a total lack of respect for our residents and local community.ENDS
>
> So many poor animals are harmed by getting trapped in the mounds of rubbish lobbed onto motorway verges.
>
> QUOTE: Ju 11 months ago
>
> I have recently travelled from North Wales to The Trossacks in Scotland and also NW to Eastbourne. I can confirm that most of the motorways and A roads are ankle deep in rubbish.

"Ankle deep"?

Really? :-)

OTOH, I can confirm that that is absolute tripe.

Made-up nonsense, IOW.

But that's lying chav-cyclists for you.

> A lot of it is caught up in the hedgerows, which are the wildlife’s corridors. It’s truly horrific and depressing. I despair of the people of this country and our authorities who allow this to continue. Police crime tape is a major contributor also bits of car wreckage. Various council cones and rusty metal signs left behind. When the people who are supposed to uphold the law do it what hope is there. I shudder to think what foreign visitors must think of us. Shame on you litter louts and authorities you’re disgusting. ENDS

Never been to Italy, have you?

Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.

<31c9edbc-9b25-41b2-803a-0bc63547dfc9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34122&group=uk.rec.cycling#34122

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 09:33:42 -0800 (PST)
car.
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:33 UTC

The RSPCA receives 5,000 calls a year regarding litter. That’s an average of roughly 14 calls every day!
The World Wide Fund for Nature report that 1.5 million tonnes of plastic waste derives from water bottles.
33% of litter comes from fast food.
The UK has the worst statistics for litter, with a jaw-dropping 62% of England’s residents admitting to littering.
One billion seabirds are killed by litter every year, while 260 marine animal species have become trapped by litter in the ocean.

Trash that is mindlessly thrown on the floor is having a seriously detrimental effect on plants and animals. Not only is it a direct threat to many creatures’ health, but it can also destroy their habitats and environment.

Here are just some of the most common problems caused by litter:

Animals getting trapped and entangled in plastic packaging.
Wildlife suffocating in plastic bags and similar litter.
Creatures cutting themselves on sharp objects thrown away by humans.
Wildlife getting stuck in discarded gum.
Litter damaging the homes and nests animals spend so long creating for themselves.

These are just a few of the many issues plaguing our wonderful wildlife. You’ll notice a trend in each of the above examples: every one of them is entirely avoidable.

The simple answer is, stop littering! Failing to properly dispose of your rubbish is careless and incredibly damaging to our planet.

Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.

<l0ntn7Fa5omU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34129&group=uk.rec.cycling#34129

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_car.
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:46:15 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 17:46 UTC

On 16/01/2024 05:33 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> The RSPCA receives 5,000 calls a year regarding litter. That’s an average of roughly 14 calls every day!
> The World Wide Fund for Nature report that 1.5 million tonnes of plastic waste derives from water bottles.
> 33% of litter comes from fast food.
> The UK has the worst statistics for litter, with a jaw-dropping 62% of England’s residents admitting to littering.
> One billion seabirds are killed by litter every year, while 260 marine animal species have become trapped by litter in the ocean.
>
> Trash that is mindlessly thrown on the floor is having a seriously detrimental effect on plants and animals. Not only is it a direct threat to many creatures’ health, but it can also destroy their habitats and environment.
>
> Here are just some of the most common problems caused by litter:
>
> Animals getting trapped and entangled in plastic packaging.
> Wildlife suffocating in plastic bags and similar litter.
> Creatures cutting themselves on sharp objects thrown away by humans.
> Wildlife getting stuck in discarded gum.
> Litter damaging the homes and nests animals spend so long creating for themselves.
>
> These are just a few of the many issues plaguing our wonderful wildlife. You’ll notice a trend in each of the above examples: every one of them is entirely avoidable.
>
> The simple answer is, stop littering! Failing to properly dispose of your rubbish is careless and incredibly damaging to our planet.

That is obviously a draft of your next missive to the letters columns of
road.cc and Chav-Cycling Weekly.

Sign it off: May Sun of Surrey Hills.

Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.

<a71b653f-1a5a-47ba-8d71-b4ea86016063n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34132&group=uk.rec.cycling#34132

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 13:47:25 -0800 (PST)
car.
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 21:47 UTC

National Highways conducts regular research to better understand why people litter from vehicles, and what might change this, before focusing efforts on changing behaviour.

Freda said: "Last year we asked Keep Britain Tidy to undertake some research for us to find out more about who litters on our roads and why.

"There were several focus groups - it's quite surprising that people do admit to littering for various reasons. 16% of drivers said that they had disposed of an item of rubbish from a vehicle window. The proportion of people who admitted to littering from a vehicle window increased among people with children under the age of four, and those who use our road network more often. By far, fruit cores and peels are what most people admit to throwing out their window. This is likely due to the perceived lack of harm from littering these items. Cigarette butts are the items most frequently littered, with 12% of the respondents saying they disposed of these from their vehicle window monthly. We're now working on targeted interventions to tackle these specific issues."

Driving understanding and behavioural change among the public is clearly central to success. When it comes to how, Geoff said: "The bins and poster campaigns - warning people of the dangers of littering and encouraging awareness – funded by National Highways are helpful. Educating the public and changing behaviour at a grassroots level, such as in schools, also makes a difference."

litter road HedgehogOutside taking direct action to stop littering, Freda also discusses the positive opportunities for protecting wildlife around the road network: "As a significant landowner, National Highways has an important role to play in increasing biodiversity around our road network. Our verges and green areas provide homes to a rich and diverse range of species, vital to a healthy ecosystem. They also create invaluable green corridors which connect different habitats. A great example is our work around the A30 and A38 in Devon and Cornwall, where we've planted over 10,000 native trees and shrubs to fill gaps in the hedgerow and woodland. This has provided around three extra miles of vegetation and connected more than 105 miles of habitat along the roadside."

Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.

<l0omcjFf9elU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34140&group=uk.rec.cycling#34140

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
_car.
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 00:47:15 +0000
 by: JNugent - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 00:47 UTC

On 16/01/2024 09:47 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> National Highways conducts regular research to better understand why people litter from vehicles, and what might change this, before focusing efforts on changing behaviour.

Well, they could, perhaps, provide more, larger and more
conveniently-located litter-bins and EMPTY THEM FREQUENTLY. A full bin
isn't serving its purpose.

The whole of Europe under-provides litter disposal bin capacity as a
roadside facility. It can be a serious problem at lay-bys, rest areas,
picnic sites, etc.

> Freda said: "Last year we asked Keep Britain Tidy to undertake some research for us to find out more about who litters on our roads and why.
>
> "There were several focus groups - it's quite surprising that people do admit to littering for various reasons. 16% of drivers said that they had disposed of an item of rubbish from a vehicle window. The proportion of people who admitted to littering from a vehicle window increased among people with children under the age of four, and those who use our road network more often. By far, fruit cores and peels are what most people admit to throwing out their window. This is likely due to the perceived lack of harm from littering these items. Cigarette butts are the items most frequently littered, with 12% of the respondents saying they disposed of these from their vehicle window monthly. We're now working on targeted interventions to tackle these specific issues."

There is NO harm accruing from throwing an apple core into a hedgerow.
The item will soon be consumed by nature in one way or another (which is
always the best we can hope for).

It isn't like a chav-cyclist throwing a gel-pack onto a rural route or
an urban footway. Still less like a chav-cyclist defecating on a Surrey
village green.

> Driving understanding and behavioural change among the public is clearly central to success. When it comes to how, Geoff said: "The bins and poster campaigns - warning people of the dangers of littering and encouraging awareness – funded by National Highways are helpful. Educating the public and changing behaviour at a grassroots level, such as in schools, also makes a difference."
>
> litter road HedgehogOutside taking direct action to stop littering, Freda also discusses the positive opportunities for protecting wildlife around the road network: "As a significant landowner, National Highways has an important role to play in increasing biodiversity around our road network. Our verges and green areas provide homes to a rich and diverse range of species, vital to a healthy ecosystem. They also create invaluable green corridors which connect different habitats. A great example is our work around the A30 and A38 in Devon and Cornwall, where we've planted over 10,000 native trees and shrubs to fill gaps in the hedgerow and woodland. This has provided around three extra miles of vegetation and connected more than 105 miles of habitat along the roadside."

All well and good. But absolutely nothing to do with littering, whether
by chav-cyclists or anyone else.

Re: Driver fined over £1500 for littering from his car.

<1649b0e8-4617-40ec-9b3f-d82385f68bcfn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34145&group=uk.rec.cycling#34145

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 01:06:04 -0800 (PST)
car.
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 09:06 UTC

People are being urged to share footage of people littering from vehicles by a council.

The videos will then be used as evidence by South Gloucestershire Council to issue Penalty Charge Notices (PCNs) of £100 against the registered keepers of the vehicles.

It is hoped the initiative will reduce litter on roads such as the A4174.

Councillor Leigh Ingham said throwing litter was "completely unacceptable".

"I encourage anyone that has video footage of someone littering from a vehicle to send it in to us for investigation," Cllr Ingham, added.

The new approach by the council will also use professional witness accounts from the police or council officers as evidence.

When an offence is identified, the council will send a notice, advising the vehicle's registered keeper of the vehicle where and when the offence was committed along with the PCN of £100, which reduces to £50 if paid within the first 10 days of issue.

The new approach comes as volunteer litter picking groups in Wiltshire gathered more than 7,500kg of discarded waste this year.

According to the Local Democracy Reporting Service, the litter is equivalent to 1,270 bags and has saved the taxpayers in the region of £32,000.

Wiltshire Council has a statutory duty to collect litter and carry out collections on the county's rural roads and verges along the A303 and A36.

Shopping trolleys, an office chair, road closure barriers and bollards have also been found dumped in the River Biss through Trowbridge earlier this month.Councillor Caroline Thomas told the BBC litter was "not just a block on our glorious landscapes" but "potentially harmful to wildlife and the wider environment".

"Most people will dispose of their litter in a responsible way but there are just those who don't seem to care," she added.

Ms Thomas said around they spent £1.5m dealing with litter every year and would soon be launching a new initiative dubbed Don't Mess with Wiltshire.

She said a new litter officer and CCTV cameras will be introduced as part of the scheme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-67331464