Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 04:47:05 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Man admits causing death of cyclist Stuart Simons in A1077 crash
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 16 Jan 2024 12:47 UTC

REMEMBER THIS WELL - JUST UP THE ROAD FROM US.
==============================================A judge thanked grieving relatives for attending court where a driver admitted causing the death of a South Ferriby cyclist.

David Parker, 67, of Torrington Road, Scunthorpe pleaded guilty at Grimsby Crown Court to causing the death of cyclist Stuart Simons by driving his Ford Kuga dangerously on October 7, 2022 on the A1077 between South Ferriby and the Barton interchange.

Judge Richard Woolfall imposed an interim driving ban on the motorist and adjourned the case for sentence to next month. He added he would determine the length of the full driving ban when he presides over the sentencing hearing on February 12. He granted Parker bail.

Prosecuting, Senior Crown Advocate, Jeremy Evans said the family of the 44-year-old cyclist who died in the crash, will be given the opportunity to address the judge.

Judge Woolfall said he recognised the distress the hearing could cause and offered them the opportunity to have the impact statements read on their behalf or in person and said they are welcome to have a rehearsal in the court ahead of the hearing.

The judge said he acknowledged the "dreadfully painful" experience Mr Simons' family had suffered.

He addressed the family. "Thank you for coming today. I offer you all my condolences. I hope now that he has admitted the offence, it will give you some comfort and I will see you on the next date," he said.

Many tributes were paid following the tragedy over 15 months ago.

Many complimented Mr Simons' character, saying he was a great person to all that knew him. He was described as "a distinguished gentleman, honourable and brave" and one of life's gentlemen" with a "rich smile" and "a. real human being inside and out." Friends and colleagues said he was respected by everyone for his decency.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/man-admits-causing-death-cyclist-9035102