Angels we have heard on High Tell us to go out and Buy. -- Tom Lehrer

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford

SubjectAuthor
* Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in TraSimon Mason
+- OFF-TOPIC TROLL POST from May Sun: "Man sentenced to eight years in jail after aJNugent
+* Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision inSimon Mason
|`- Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision inJNugent
+* Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision inSimon Mason
|`- REPEATED OFF-TOPIC TROLL POST by May Sun: "Man sentenced to eight years in jail JNugent
`* Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision inSimon Mason
 +- MAY SUN TROLLS AGAIN: "Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road tJNugent
 `* Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision inSimon Mason
  +- Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision inJNugent
  `- Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision inSimon Mason

1
Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford

<c81c2f3b-ba18-4916-836c-a36f1791110cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34194&group=uk.rec.cycling#34194

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 06:23:07 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic
collision in Trafford
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 14:23 UTC

On Friday 17 March 2023 at around 12.30am, officers were called to a serious road traffic collision between a car and a pedestrian on Wilbraham Road, Manchester.

It was established that the driver of a Volkswagen Golf was travelling down Wilbraham Road towards Stretford before coming to stop at a set of traffic lights.

The driver – a man in his 20s – positioned his vehicle in the right lane which was a dedicated right turn.

As the lights changed to green the VW Golf accelerated past a vehicle in the left lane continuing down Wilbraham Road at speeds of over three times the posted 30mph speed limit.

The pedestrian, now confirmed as 52-year-old Jonathan Langston, was crossing the road between Morville and Wyverne Road was hit by the Golf, causing Mr Langston to be thrown 200-300 metres from the point of the collision due to the excessive speed the offending vehicle was travelling at.

Despite the best efforts of emergency services, sadly Jonathan was pronounced dead at the scene because of the injuries he sustained during the collision.

The driver of the Golf initially failed to stop at the scene but returned a short time later identifying himself as the driver to officers, he was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.

Today (Wednesday 17 January 2024), Adeel Safdar (20/09/1995) of Railway Road, Stretford was sentenced to 8 years in prison after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.

Safdar was also disqualified from driving for 10 years and 4 months.

https://www.gmp.police.uk/news/greater-manchester/news/news/2024/january/man-sentenced-to-eight-years-in-jail-after-fatal-road-traffic-collision-in-trafford/

OFF-TOPIC TROLL POST from May Sun: "Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford"

<l0sv2eFhpgfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34195&group=uk.rec.cycling#34195

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: OFF-TOPIC TROLL POST from May Sun: "Man sentenced to eight years in
jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford"
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:39:58 +0000
 by: JNugent - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:39 UTC

On 18/01/2024 02:23 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> On Friday 17 March 2023 at around 12.30am, officers were called to a serious road traffic collision between a car and a pedestrian on Wilbraham Road, Manchester.
> It was established that the driver of a Volkswagen Golf was travelling down Wilbraham Road towards Stretford before coming to stop at a set of traffic lights.
> The driver – a man in his 20s – positioned his vehicle in the right lane which was a dedicated right turn.
> As the lights changed to green the VW Golf accelerated past a vehicle in the left lane continuing down Wilbraham Road at speeds of over three times the posted 30mph speed limit.

0 - 90 in 0 seconds flat?

Volkswagen obviously don't fully advertise the Golf's acceleration
capabilities.

Either that or GMP are not describing the scenario very well.

> The pedestrian, now confirmed as 52-year-old Jonathan Langston, was crossing the road between Morville and Wyverne Road was hit by the Golf, causing Mr Langston to be thrown 200-300 metres from the point of the collision due to the excessive speed the offending vehicle was travelling at.
> Despite the best efforts of emergency services, sadly Jonathan was pronounced dead at the scene because of the injuries he sustained during the collision.
> The driver of the Golf initially failed to stop at the scene but returned a short time later identifying himself as the driver to officers, he was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving.
> Today (Wednesday 17 January 2024), Adeel Safdar (20/09/1995) of Railway Road, Stretford was sentenced to 8 years in prison after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.
> Safdar was also disqualified from driving for 10 years and 4 months.

> https://www.gmp.police.uk/news/greater-manchester/news/news/2024/january/man-sentenced-to-eight-years-in-jail-after-fatal-road-traffic-collision-in-trafford/

I once watched in horror as a car passed me (stationary at
dual-carriageway traffic lights which were just turning amber and green
from red) just as a woman moved off the centre reservation right into
the path of the moving vehicle. Luckily - for all of those directly
involved - she was not seriously injured, though she had a night or two
in hospital for observation.

Now... can you tell us what the chav-cyclisy was doing? How was he/she
involved?

Still... only another thirty-three days to go, eh?

Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford

<8790033c-3168-4f4f-93a1-1707bd28a5d5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34202&group=uk.rec.cycling#34202

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 08:58:49 -0800 (PST)
collision in Trafford
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 16:58 UTC

QUOTE:
Today (Wednesday 17 January 2024), Adeel Safdar (20/09/1995) of Railway Road, Stretford was sentenced to 8 years in prison after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving. Safdar was also disqualified from driving for 10 years and 4 months. ENDS

Twenty year driving ban - fessed up as well (sort of).

Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford

<l0tthhFndjgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34218&group=uk.rec.cycling#34218

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
collision in Trafford
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 00:20:01 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 00:20 UTC

On 18/01/2024 04:58 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE:
> Today (Wednesday 17 January 2024), Adeel Safdar (20/09/1995) of Railway Road, Stretford was sentenced to 8 years in prison after pleading guilty to causing death by dangerous driving. Safdar was also disqualified from driving for 10 years and 4 months. ENDS
>
> Twenty year driving ban - fessed up as well (sort of).

Arithmetic isn't one of your less weak skills, is it, M'Lud?

Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford

<4f5a1401-fc2a-440f-aff0-2c2148f6c651n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34222&group=uk.rec.cycling#34222

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 00:58:42 -0800 (PST)
collision in Trafford
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 08:58 UTC

QUOTE: On Friday 17 March 2023 at around 12.30am, officers were called to a serious road traffic collision between a car and a pedestrian on Wilbraham Road, Manchester. ENDS

Notice that the snarlword "accident" has all but vanished from these reports.
That's good!

REPEATED OFF-TOPIC TROLL POST by May Sun: "Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford"

<l0v8gbFpkaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34228&group=uk.rec.cycling#34228

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: REPEATED OFF-TOPIC TROLL POST by May Sun: "Man sentenced to eight
years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford"
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 12:33:15 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 12:33 UTC

On 19/01/2024 08:58 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: On Friday 17 March 2023 at around 12.30am, officers were called to a serious road traffic collision between a car and a pedestrian on Wilbraham Road, Manchester. ENDS
>
> Notice that the snarlword "accident" has all but vanished from these reports.
> That's good!

You posted all that nonsense yesterday.

And you still haven't explained how a chav on a bike was involved.

Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford

<002a7e33-297d-4a15-908d-4cdea2c64784n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34231&group=uk.rec.cycling#34231

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 05:07:13 -0800 (PST)
collision in Trafford
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 13:07 UTC

A salesman who killed a grieving father-of-two after crashing into him at 83mph in a 30mph zone has been jailed, with the judge telling him 'you have orphaned his children'.

Jonathan Langston, 52, died in the crash which occurred one year after his wife Helen passed away from cancer. Their funerals were held on the same date, one year apart.

Driving at an 'extraordinary' speed, Adeel Safdar reached 93mph shortly before the collision in Manchester, where a 30mph speed limit applies, a court heard

Manchester Crown Court was told that Mr Langston was 'finally starting to come to terms' with the loss of his wife before his 'unnecessary and pointless' death.

Sentencing Safdar, the judge said 'you have in effect orphaned his children'.

Safdar, from Stretford, Greater Manchester, had been watching The Apprentice at a friend's house when he got behind the wheel of his VW Golf just after midnight on March 17 last year.

Mr Langston, who worked at an IT consultant, had spent the evening with this friends in Chorlton in Manchester when he was walking home.

CCTV footage showed Safdar using a right turn only lane to overtake another vehicle.

After overtaking, he continued to accelerate. 100 metres before the crash, he had reached 93mph, and at the time of the collision he was driving at speeds of at least 83mph, the court was told.

Mr Langston was crossing the road and if Safdar had been driving safely, he could have reached the other side 'without incident', prosecutor David James said.

However, he was hit and died instantly from the 'catastrophic' injuries.

The driver didn't stop at the scene initially, but returned shortly after.

He later told police: 'It's the worst thing I could ever do, I have caused death,' the Manchester Evening news reported.

Admitting to a charge of causing death by dangerous driving, Safdar was sentenced to eight years in prison yesterday, and will serve around five years and four months.

The court heard statements from Mr Langston's children, family and friends in an emotional hearing.

His brother addressed Safdar in the hearing and said: 'No sentence will be long enough to pay for the suffering he had caused and is still causing our family'.

Ella, one of Mr Langston's children, was at university when her father died.. She described to the court that it was like waking up to a 'nightmare'. She added that he was the 'rock' that held everyone together.

His other daughter, Georgia, said their father had been 'terrified' of leaving them alone following their mother's death and had given up smoking.

His friends paid tribute in court to his 'warmth', 'selfless nature' and 'strength', saying he was an inspiration.

Redmond Traynor, Safdar's lawyer, said he 'cannot explain' why he decided to speed on that night and he is a 'hard-working' man and the main breadwinner for his family.

Sentencing Safdar, Judge Nicholas Dean KC said: 'You know what you have done, you have expressed remorse for it. It may be very difficult indeed for Jonathan Langston's family to accept that you have expressed remorse, and hard for them to accept that is something I must take into account, but I must, and I will.

'You drove at extraordinary speeds, described by the police to the family of Jonathan Langston as motorway speeds, but they would be excessive speeds for the motorway. What possessed you to do what you did is hard to fathom.'

Safdar's sentence was reduced for his remorse and 'good character' and he was also banned from driving for 10 years and four months.

After the sentencing, Mr Langston's family said: 'Whilst the day itself has provided some closure to our family, we can't help but feel disappointed and let down by the shortness of the sentence.

'Although it is true that no time spent would be long enough, it was shocking to hear that the driver would only spend just over five years in prison for his horrific actions.

'As a family we will now try and move on together, living in his memory.'

Detective Constable Sarah Seddon, from GMP's Serious Collison Investigation Unit, said: 'Firstly I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Jonathan Langston.

'Not only did Adeel overtake another vehicle in a lane that was supposed to be a right hand only turn, he continued to increase his speed following this manoeuvre, reaching over three times the posted speed limit and subsequently colliding with Mr Langston, who was on his way home after having some drinks with friends earlier in the evening.

'Hopefully this sentence can form as some sort of closure to the victim's family and Safdar can reflect on his actions.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12979935/Salesman-28-killed-grieving-widower-father-Jonathan-Langston-crashing-83mph-30-jailed-eight-years-judge-orphaned-children.html

MAY SUN TROLLS AGAIN: "Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford" [No chav-cycle content]

<l0vi1uF2gooU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34239&group=uk.rec.cycling#34239

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: MAY SUN TROLLS AGAIN: "Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a
fatal road traffic collision in Trafford" [No chav-cycle content]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 15:16:14 +0000
 by: JNugent - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 15:16 UTC

On 19/01/2024 01:07 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> [...]
> 'As a family we will now try and move on together, living in his memory.'
> Detective Constable Sarah Seddon, from GMP's Serious Collison Investigation Unit, said: 'Firstly I would like to extend my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Jonathan Langston.
> 'Not only did Adeel overtake another vehicle in a lane that was supposed to be a right hand only turn, he continued to increase his speed following this manoeuvre, reaching over three times the posted speed limit and subsequently colliding with Mr Langston, who was on his way home after having some drinks with friends earlier in the evening.
> 'Hopefully this sentence can form as some sort of closure to the victim's family and Safdar can reflect on his actions.'

Despite this being the second time that you have posted this story (a
quite unnecessary repetition), you STILL haven't explained the
connection with chav-cycling.

Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford

<40c1d988-062c-4cb9-badc-d82109584e27n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34243&group=uk.rec.cycling#34243

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 09:06:03 -0800 (PST)
collision in Trafford
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 17:06 UTC

QUOTE:
After overtaking, he continued to accelerate. 100 metres before the crash, he had reached 93mph, and at the time of the collision he was driving at speeds of at least 83mph, the court was told. Mr Langston was crossing the road and if Safdar had been driving safely, he could have reached the other side 'without incident', prosecutor David James said. ENDS

Why was the court not informed by Mr Arsehole that the pedestrian was partly to blame for not wearing a plastic hat and a dayglow coat?

Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford

<l12co6Fj27tU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34269&group=uk.rec.cycling#34269

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
collision in Trafford
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 17:04:07 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 17:04 UTC

On 19/01/2024 05:06 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE:
> After overtaking, he continued to accelerate. 100 metres before the crash, he had reached 93mph, and at the time of the collision he was driving at speeds of at least 83mph, the court was told.

At the moment of impact, he was travelling at more than one speed?

How does that work? Was the car expanding in size? Contracting? What
would have happened if he'd approached the speed of sound?

Schrodinger's speedometer, perhaps?

> Mr Langston was crossing the road and if Safdar had been driving safely, he could have reached the other side 'without incident', prosecutor David James said. ENDS
> Why was the court not informed by Mr Arsehole that the pedestrian was partly to blame for not wearing a plastic hat and a dayglow coat?

Re: Man sentenced to eight years in jail after a fatal road traffic collision in Trafford

<68a56ea0-3d26-4224-ba08-3dd07c89598an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34278&group=uk.rec.cycling#34278

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 12:16:02 -0800 (PST)
collision in Trafford
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 20:16 UTC

On Friday, January 19, 2024 at 5:06:04 PM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE:
> After overtaking, he continued to accelerate. 100 metres before the crash, he had reached 93mph, and at the time of the collision he was driving at speeds of at least 83mph, the court was told. Mr Langston was crossing the road and if Safdar had been driving safely, he could have reached the other side 'without incident', prosecutor David James said. ENDS
>
> Why was the court not informed by Mr Arsehole that the pedestrian was partly to blame for not wearing a plastic hat and a dayglow coat?

Oh yes - and the pedestrian should have been wearing a number plate in case he was to blame - not in this case though.