court, n.: A place where they dispense with justice. -- Arthur Train

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

SubjectAuthor
* BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Jim Lesurf
+* Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Andy Burns
|+* Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2NY
||`- Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Brian Gaff
|+* Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Scott
||+* Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Andy Burns
|||`* Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Scott
||| +* Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Tweed
||| `* Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Mark Carver
|||  `- Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Scott
||`* Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2MB
|| `* Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Scott
||  `- Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Mark Carver
|`- Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Mark Carver
+- Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Brian Gaff
`* Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2williamwright
 `- Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2Jim Lesurf

1
BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<5a095d22dbnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34279&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34279

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Subject: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2022 11:12:33 +0100
 by: Jim Lesurf - Sun, 17 Jul 2022 10:12 UTC

I still get the "BBC Four HD will be back soon" message on our DVT-T2
transmissions. Only currently available as SD on channel 231. Anyone know
when this 'soon' will turn into 'now'? Annoying that it seems to be
extending into the Proms.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<jjkl1eFht1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34280&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34280

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 09:47:41 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 08:47 UTC

Jim Lesurf wrote:

> Anyone know when this 'soon' will turn into 'now'?

I'm sure Mark will be along soon, but maybe he can't tell us?

I think it seemed to be linked to the new centralised coding for BBC1 HD
regions, if so it could be next year ...

<https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/bbc-one-hd-regional-roll-out-delay>

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<tb37kq$8lj6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34281&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34281

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:02:51 +0100
 by: NY - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 09:02 UTC

"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message

> Jim Lesurf wrote:
>
>> Anyone know when this 'soon' will turn into 'now'?
>
> I'm sure Mark will be along soon, but maybe he can't tell us?
>
> I think it seemed to be linked to the new centralised coding for BBC1 HD
> regions, if so it could be next year ...
>
> <https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/bbc-one-hd-regional-roll-out-delay>

Shame COM7 didn't last longer to provide BBC Four HD until PSB3 was ready -
or that PSB3 wasn't ready in time for the withdrawal of COM7 (two ways of
looking at the same problem).

A masterpiece of project planning - not!

Since it's not happened, the least they could do is manage people's
expectations and tell them "this is what we plan to do; this is roughly when
it will be ready". "Soon" is utterly meaningless and insulting in its
blandness. This week? This month? This year? Next year? The day after BBC
Four closes down as a broadcast channel?

I wonder what the original plans were - whether the gap was intended all
along (but kept secret), or whether it was supposed to be a seamless
transfer (like all other mux moves) but there is an unforeseen delay in
procuring equipment and/or configuring it.

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<tb39up$90td$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34282&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34282

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:42:48 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 09:42 UTC

Who knows, I guess they will be hopingthat when it gets axed they did not
actually have it working.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Jim Lesurf" <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote in message
>I still get the "BBC Four HD will be back soon" message on our DVT-T2
> transmissions. Only currently available as SD on channel 231. Anyone know
> when this 'soon' will turn into 'now'? Annoying that it seems to be
> extending into the Proms.
>
> Jim
>
> --
> Please use the address on the audiomisc page if you wish to email me.
> Electronics
> https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm
> biog http://jcgl.orpheusweb.co.uk/history/ups_and_downs.html
> Audio Misc http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/index.html

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<tb3a2q$91bg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34284&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34284

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:44:57 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 09:44 UTC

Well whichever way you perceive it its general incompetence.

Brian

--

--:
"NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
> "Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> Jim Lesurf wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone know when this 'soon' will turn into 'now'?
>>
>> I'm sure Mark will be along soon, but maybe he can't tell us?
>>
>> I think it seemed to be linked to the new centralised coding for BBC1 HD
>> regions, if so it could be next year ...
>>
>> <https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/bbc-one-hd-regional-roll-out-delay>
>
> Shame COM7 didn't last longer to provide BBC Four HD until PSB3 was
> ready - or that PSB3 wasn't ready in time for the withdrawal of COM7 (two
> ways of looking at the same problem).
>
> A masterpiece of project planning - not!
>
> Since it's not happened, the least they could do is manage people's
> expectations and tell them "this is what we plan to do; this is roughly
> when it will be ready". "Soon" is utterly meaningless and insulting in its
> blandness. This week? This month? This year? Next year? The day after BBC
> Four closes down as a broadcast channel?
>
> I wonder what the original plans were - whether the gap was intended all
> along (but kept secret), or whether it was supposed to be a seamless
> transfer (like all other mux moves) but there is an unforeseen delay in
> procuring equipment and/or configuring it.

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<5vbadh1o8goe047dlb89gkss14nftfobpg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34287&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34287

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:05:25 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:05 UTC

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 09:47:41 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Jim Lesurf wrote:
>
>> Anyone know when this 'soon' will turn into 'now'?
>
>I'm sure Mark will be along soon, but maybe he can't tell us?
>
>I think it seemed to be linked to the new centralised coding for BBC1 HD
>regions, if so it could be next year ...
>
><https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/bbc-one-hd-regional-roll-out-delay>

Does this affect Scotland, where BBC One Scotland already appears on
HD? If not, why can't BBC Four HD be added to the tartan MUX now.

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<jjkq96F1bicU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34288&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34288

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:17:09 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:17 UTC

Scott wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Jim Lesurf wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone know when this 'soon' will turn into 'now'?
>>
>> I think it seemed to be linked to the new centralised coding for BBC1 HD
>> regions, if so it could be next year ...
>
> Does this affect Scotland

Pretty sure Jim wouldn't be asking if it didn't.

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<tb3d0n$9fuc$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34291&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34291

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:35:05 +0100
 by: MB - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 10:35 UTC

On 18/07/2022 11:05, Scott wrote:
> Does this affect Scotland, where BBC One Scotland already appears on
> HD? If not, why can't BBC Four HD be added to the tartan MUX now.

What would you remove to make room for it?

BBC Alba occasionally has some interesting programmes for non-Gaelic
speakers. Never watched BBC Scotland but I presume someone does.

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<jjkujoF2338U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34295&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34295

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 12:31:07 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:31 UTC

On 18/07/2022 09:47, Andy Burns wrote:

> Jim Lesurf wrote:
>
>> Anyone know when this 'soon' will turn into 'now'?
>
> I'm sure Mark will be along soon, but maybe he can't tell us?

Hello. I don't know what the latest is, what I do gather is it's a bolt
on to the project to expand all the BBC 1 and ITV English (and STV sub)
regions to the PSB 3 mux, and that was announced to be running late some
time ago. Original target was this autumn, but I think the Beeb said
that had slipped. By the way I don't think ITV or STV have ever made an
announcement about expanding their HD regions on PSB 3, so that's
another way to manage expectations :-) ?!

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<t7hadh1hkvrsb752e5bfrpb2cfd88i6svp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34296&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34296

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 12:34:31 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:34 UTC

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:35:05 +0100, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 18/07/2022 11:05, Scott wrote:
>> Does this affect Scotland, where BBC One Scotland already appears on
>> HD? If not, why can't BBC Four HD be added to the tartan MUX now.
>
>What would you remove to make room for it?
>
>BBC Alba occasionally has some interesting programmes for non-Gaelic
>speakers. Never watched BBC Scotland but I presume someone does.

BBC News to go. BBC Four to be squeezed into the main HD multiplex
AIUI for whole UK. Can anyone clarify.

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<bahadh5pog4umv8t24gjjtm6rm4ln2oi00@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34297&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34297

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 12:36:25 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:36 UTC

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:17:09 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Scott wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:

>>> I think it seemed to be linked to the new centralised coding for BBC1 HD
>>> regions, if so it could be next year ...
>>
>> Does this affect Scotland
>
>Pretty sure Jim wouldn't be asking if it didn't.
I didn't mean the absence of BBC Four HD (which certainly does affect
Scotland). I meant having to wait for the upgrade that will allow BBC
regions to be shown in HD (BBC One Scotland already is, so what are we
waiting for?).

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<jjkv6mF25qcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34298&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34298

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 12:41:12 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:41 UTC

On 18/07/2022 12:34, Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:35:05 +0100, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> On 18/07/2022 11:05, Scott wrote:
>>> Does this affect Scotland, where BBC One Scotland already appears on
>>> HD? If not, why can't BBC Four HD be added to the tartan MUX now.
>> What would you remove to make room for it?
>>
>> BBC Alba occasionally has some interesting programmes for non-Gaelic
>> speakers. Never watched BBC Scotland but I presume someone does.
>>
> BBC News to go. BBC Four to be squeezed into the main HD multiplex
> AIUI for whole UK. Can anyone clarify.
Yes, this is old news. The BBC News Channel since COM 7 died on June
30th has no HD outlet on Freeview. There are no plans at present to
provide any for it.

The BBC decided, given all the new modern super efficient codecs they
are buying to allow the expansion of all BBC 1, ITV, and STV regions to
be available in HD on PSB 3, that (because of those codecs) they could
also shoehorn BBC 4 HD onto there too. For reasons not publicly known,
they were unable to do that before the demise of COM 7, and we are still
waiting for it to happen.

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<tb3h0e$ajl0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34300&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34300

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:43:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:dkRqtXWQMD+u5Nld7eCAzWKlJxg=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:43 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:17:09 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Scott wrote:

>>> Does this affect Scotland
>>
>> Pretty sure Jim wouldn't be asking if it didn't.
>
> I didn't mean the absence of BBC Four HD (which certainly does affect
> Scotland). I meant having to wait for the upgrade that will allow BBC
> regions to be shown in HD (BBC One Scotland already is, so what are we
> waiting for?).

Probably waiting for the kit to turn up. Electronic equipment of any sort,
and especially the more sophisticated variety, is very hard to come by at
the moment. Even high grade pcb material is in sort supply.

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<jjkvb5F25qcU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34301&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34301

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 12:43:36 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:43 UTC

On 18/07/2022 12:36, Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:17:09 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> Scott wrote:

>>> Does this affect Scotland
>> Pretty sure Jim wouldn't be asking if it didn't.
>
> I didn't mean the absence of BBC Four HD (which certainly does affect
> Scotland). I meant having to wait for the upgrade that will allow BBC
> regions to be shown in HD (BBC One Scotland already is, so what are we
> waiting for?).
Because the existing equipment that runs PSB 3 is 12 years old, and is
not modern enough to cope with the extra demands of adding BBC 4 (or any
other HD channel) into the mux ?

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<jjkvfcF25qcU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34302&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34302

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 12:45:51 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:45 UTC

On 18/07/2022 12:43, Tweed wrote:

> Probably waiting for the kit to turn up. Electronic equipment of any sort,
> and especially the more sophisticated variety, is very hard to come by at
> the moment. Even high grade pcb material is in sort supply.

Yep, some of the lead times are over 12 months at present for kit. Some
manufacturers are simply not taking new orders at present

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<m8kadhtuvbi8uufafk8oru8cq2unovtvb2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34304&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34304

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2022 13:25:25 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 18 Jul 2022 12:25 UTC

On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 12:43:36 +0100, Mark Carver
<mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 18/07/2022 12:36, Scott wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Jul 2022 11:17:09 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> Pretty sure Jim wouldn't be asking if it didn't.
>>
>> I didn't mean the absence of BBC Four HD (which certainly does affect
>> Scotland). I meant having to wait for the upgrade that will allow BBC
>> regions to be shown in HD (BBC One Scotland already is, so what are we
>> waiting for?).
>Because the existing equipment that runs PSB 3 is 12 years old, and is
>not modern enough to cope with the extra demands of adding BBC 4 (or any
>other HD channel) into the mux ?

Thanks for the clarification. This explains it.

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<jjmjcpFa3r0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34322&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34322

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 03:31:52 +0100
 by: williamwright - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 02:31 UTC

On 17/07/2022 11:12, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> I still get the "BBC Four HD will be back soon" message on our DVT-T2
> transmissions. Only currently available as SD on channel 231. Anyone know
> when this 'soon' will turn into 'now'? Annoying that it seems to be
> extending into the Proms.
>
> Jim

Because of that and the same issue with Quest I find I'm using Freesat a
lot more.

Bill

Re: BBC Four HD still AWOL on DVB-T2

<5a0a5d3676noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34327&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34327

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 09:49:35 +0100
 by: Jim Lesurf - Tue, 19 Jul 2022 08:49 UTC

In article <jjmjcpFa3r0U1@mid.individual.net>, williamwright
<wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote:
> On 17/07/2022 11:12, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> > I still get the "BBC Four HD will be back soon" message on our DVT-T2
> > transmissions. Only currently available as SD on channel 231. Anyone
> > know when this 'soon' will turn into 'now'? Annoying that it seems to
> > be extending into the Proms.
> >
> > Jim
> >
> Because of that and the same issue with Quest I find I'm using Freesat a
> lot more.

In general I just gip items from iPlayer. But in some cases prefer the TX,
and useful for 'live'. However in the main I guess BBC4 doesn't 'do
live'... except for a few Proms... which also more often are recorded and
then broadcast later.