From: Folde...@f1.n221.z2.fidonet.fi (Folderol)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Running Browser? [list installed browsers]
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2021 15:14:06 +0200
 by: Folderol - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 13:14 UTC

On Thu, 05 Aug 2021 12:24:40 +0100 (BST)
Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@onet.eu> wrote:

>update-alternatives --list x-www-browser

Thanks both of you for the answers. However, I need this to work in any distro.
Otherwise it might have been usable - sort of, but that command reveals that a
couple of lightweight ones don't appear in the list.

I'll just have to think of something else. Maybe just point the users to the
index file and have them load it into a browser manually.

--
W J G

Re: Running Browser? [list installed browsers]

<seh8nt$jcv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=343&group=uk.comp.os.linux#343

From: mar...@mydomain.invalid (Martin Gregorie)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 17:56:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Martin Gregorie - Thu, 5 Aug 2021 17:56 UTC

On Thu, 05 Aug 2021 15:14:06 +0200, Folderol wrote:

> I'll just have to think of something else. Maybe just point the users to
> the index file and have them load it into a browser manually.

Does this program/project have a configuration file?
If so, define the browser to be used in it?.

Thats my usual approach for anything that may change from one
installation to another.

I usually assume that the configuration file will be manually edited and
so validate it fairly carefully and treat config items that don't match
the environment/runtime conditions as a fatal errors. However, depending
on what your intended users can be expected to deal with, you may want to
add an interactive configuration editor which pops up if the
configuration doesn't match the environment.

Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org