Brandy-and-water spoils two good things. -- Charles Lamb

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Bolton danger driver jailed for breaching suspended sentence

SubjectAuthor
* Bolton danger driver jailed for breaching suspended sentenceSimon Mason
+- Re: Bolton danger driver jailed for breaching suspended sentenceJNugent
+* Re: Bolton danger driver jailed for breaching suspended sentenceSimon Mason
|`- Re: Bolton danger driver jailed for breaching suspended sentenceJNugent
`- Re: Bolton danger driver jailed for breaching suspended sentenceSimon Mason

1
Bolton danger driver jailed for breaching suspended sentence

<83aef645-ced7-434c-8241-e1bcf7706f0an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34334&group=uk.rec.cycling#34334

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 08:50:54 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Bolton danger driver jailed for breaching suspended sentence
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 16:50 UTC

A dangerous driver who had been spared jail let his opportunity “fall into ruin” after ending up back in court.

Haseeb Afzal, 26, had been hit with a suspended sentence after speeding through the streets of Bolton in May last year while chased down by police.

But he was brought back to Bolton Crown Court after breaching terms the judge had set out.

Prosecutor Katherine Wright said: “The recommendation of the report is that the suspended sentence be activated.”

Afzal had driven at speeds of up to 47mph in 30mph zone on May 4 this year.

While chased down by police he ran several red lights across St George's Road, Marsden Road, Moor Lane and then onto Deane Road before driving through a housing estate.

When police finally stopped him, they caught him with a two-foot machete, which he claimed to have found wrapped up in the car after buying it.

Brought before Bolton Crown Court last July, Afzal escaped being jailed but was given a suspended sentence of 11 months, as well as a four-year driving ban.

He was also ordered to do 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days with 200 hours of unpaid work.

But since then, Ms Wright told the court how Afzal, of Mellow Close, Heaton, had allegedly smoked cannabis at one of his unpaid work appointments had had used abusive language to his supervisor at another.

Salek Ahmed, defending, said he accepted that the “outcome is inevitable” in cases like this but told the court that Afzal strongly denied smoking cannabis at his unpaid work appointment.

He said: “In his own words, he would not be stupid enough to do that anyway.”

Mr Ahmed told the court that Afzal also did not accept that he had used abusive language aimed directly at his supervisor on a separate date.

He said: “He admits swearing at the situation but again he categorically denies swearing at the supervisor.”

Mr Ahmed asked for Afzal to be given “one final chance to get his act together.”

But Judge Jon Close pointed out that Afzal’s original suspended sentence had been “intended to be onerous” despite the fact he had avoided prison the last time.

Addressing the defendant, he said: “It was made very clear to you that this was yet another opportunity and yet that opportunity has fallen into ruin.”

Judge Close jailed Afzal for seven months.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/24053527.bolton-danger-driver-jailed-breaching-suspended-sentence/

Re: Bolton danger driver jailed for breaching suspended sentence

<l17kvaFiksvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34336&group=uk.rec.cycling#34336

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 16:55:06 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 16:55 UTC

On 22/01/2024 04:50 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> A dangerous driver who had been spared jail let his opportunity “fall into ruin” after ending up back in court.
> Haseeb Afzal, 26, had been hit with a suspended sentence after speeding through the streets of Bolton in May last year while chased down by police.
> But he was brought back to Bolton Crown Court after breaching terms the judge had set out.
> Prosecutor Katherine Wright said: “The recommendation of the report is that the suspended sentence be activated.”
> Afzal had driven at speeds of up to 47mph in 30mph zone on May 4 this year.

What year?

2024?

> While chased down by police he ran several red lights across St George's Road, Marsden Road, Moor Lane and then onto Deane Road before driving through a housing estate.
> When police finally stopped him, they caught him with a two-foot machete, which he claimed to have found wrapped up in the car after buying it.
> Brought before Bolton Crown Court last July, Afzal escaped being jailed but was given a suspended sentence of 11 months, as well as a four-year driving ban.
> He was also ordered to do 20 rehabilitation activity requirement days with 200 hours of unpaid work.
> But since then, Ms Wright told the court how Afzal, of Mellow Close, Heaton, had allegedly smoked cannabis at one of his unpaid work appointments had had used abusive language to his supervisor at another.
> Salek Ahmed, defending, said he accepted that the “outcome is inevitable” in cases like this but told the court that Afzal strongly denied smoking cannabis at his unpaid work appointment.
> He said: “In his own words, he would not be stupid enough to do that anyway.”
> Mr Ahmed told the court that Afzal also did not accept that he had used abusive language aimed directly at his supervisor on a separate date.
> He said: “He admits swearing at the situation but again he categorically denies swearing at the supervisor.”
> Mr Ahmed asked for Afzal to be given “one final chance to get his act together.”
> But Judge Jon Close pointed out that Afzal’s original suspended sentence had been “intended to be onerous” despite the fact he had avoided prison the last time.
> Addressing the defendant, he said: “It was made very clear to you that this was yet another opportunity and yet that opportunity has fallen into ruin.”
> Judge Close jailed Afzal for seven months.
>
> https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/24053527.bolton-danger-driver-jailed-breaching-suspended-sentence/

Re: Bolton danger driver jailed for breaching suspended sentence

<255ee378-3b6a-4b0a-93c3-65b821466da6n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34342&group=uk.rec.cycling#34342

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 12:58:44 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 20:58 UTC

QUOTE: While chased down by police he ran several red lights across St George's Road, Marsden Road, Moor Lane and then onto Deane Road before driving through a housing estate. ENDS

False news - we are always told that motorists NEVER drive through red lights, never mind "several" of them.

Re: Bolton danger driver jailed for breaching suspended sentence

<l19urgF103sU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34351&group=uk.rec.cycling#34351

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 13:56:00 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 13:56 UTC

On 22/01/2024 08:58 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: While chased down by police he ran several red lights across St George's Road, Marsden Road, Moor Lane and then onto Deane Road before driving through a housing estate. ENDS
>
> False news - we are always told that motorists NEVER drive through red lights, never mind "several" of them.

What did the chav on the bike do?

Re: Bolton danger driver jailed for breaching suspended sentence

<ea3916a3-d3cf-4512-aa51-efff1c86a527n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34357&group=uk.rec.cycling#34357

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 08:14:55 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:14 UTC

QUOTE:When police finally stopped him, they caught him with a two-foot machete, which he claimed to have found wrapped up in the car after buying it.ENDS

Did it also have a boot full of baseball bats that the previous owner left behind as well?
Remarkable!