QOTD: "My life is a soap opera, but who gets the movie rights?"

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

SubjectAuthor
* Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordSimon Mason
+- Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordJNugent
+* Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordSimon Mason
|+* MORE TROLLING by May Sun: "Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnJNugent
||`- Re: MORE TROLLING by May Sun: "Police fine drivers parking on the pavement acrosSpike
|`* Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordSimon Mason
| +- Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordJNugent
| `* Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordSimon Mason
|  `- Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordJNugent
`* Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordSimon Mason
 +* Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordJNugent
 |`- Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordSpike
 `* Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordSimon Mason
  +* Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordSimon Mason
  |+- Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordJNugent
  |`- Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordSimon Mason
  `- Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across KnutsfordJNugent

1
Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<96eb5b10-84a8-4c95-9cbd-2ba683e3f6a1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34443&group=uk.rec.cycling#34443

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 20:47:09 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 04:47 UTC

DRIVERS parking on the pavement have been fined across Knutsford.

Police are cracking down on people flouting the law and causing an obstruction.

Vehicles have been issued with fixed penalty notices on streets throughout the town.

Cheshire Police have been warning parents about illegally parking outside schools.

Yet cars are continuing to stop on double yellow lines, zigzags and pavements.

Posting on social media, Knutsford Police said: “Vehicles have been issued with fixed penalty notices around Knutsford for fully parking on the pavement and causing unnecessary obstruction to pedestrians, wheelchair users and prams, forcing them to go onto busy roads.

“Drivers should be more considerate when parking their vehicles.”

https://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/news/24062654.police-fine-drivers-parking-pavement-across-knutsford/

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<l1kjltF2ucpU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34449&group=uk.rec.cycling#34449

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:52:45 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:52 UTC

On 27/01/2024 04:47 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> DRIVERS parking on the pavement have been fined across Knutsford.
>
> Police are cracking down on people flouting the law and causing an obstruction.

What "law" would that be?

Would it be the non-existent "law" prohibiting parking on "pavements"
(you must mean footways, but we already know you are not concerned with
legal accuracy)?

> Vehicles have been issued with fixed penalty notices on streets throughout the town.
> Cheshire Police have been warning parents about illegally parking outside schools.
> Yet cars are continuing to stop on double yellow lines, zigzags and pavements.

Double yellow lines? Offence. Zigzags? Endorseable offence.

"Pavements"? Well it'd be an offence in London. And maybe in a few other
places. However, the concept of Knutsford, which is not a district in
its own right, having some sort of extra by-law which does not apply in
the rest of the Cheshire East Unitary Authority, is a little startling.

> Posting on social media, Knutsford Police said: “Vehicles have been issued with fixed penalty notices around Knutsford for fully parking on the pavement and causing unnecessary obstruction to pedestrians, wheelchair users and prams, forcing them to go onto busy roads.

Obstruction. Town Police Clauses Act 1847. That one's fair enough, if
the footway IS being obstructed so that passage is not denied to the
various classes of pedestrian.

> “Drivers should be more considerate when parking their vehicles.”

All road-users should be more considerate when using the roads FULL STOP

Try telling that to a chav-cyclist, though. Especially one hurtling
along a FOOTway.

[There, brought your thread back on-topic.]

> https://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/news/24062654.police-fine-drivers-parking-pavement-across-knutsford/

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<53e20ded-10ab-414b-a38b-203cd86a87b9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34450&group=uk.rec.cycling#34450

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 06:59:07 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 14:59 UTC

QUOTE: “Vehicles have been issued with fixed penalty notices around Knutsford for fully parking on the pavement and causing unnecessary obstruction to pedestrians, wheelchair users and prams, forcing them to go onto busy roads. ENDS

Look at this selfish bastard with a ticket.

https://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/resources/images/17664990.jpg?type=mds-article-962

MORE TROLLING by May Sun: "Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford" No chav-cyclist content.

<l1kktuF340nU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34454&group=uk.rec.cycling#34454

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: MORE TROLLING by May Sun: "Police fine drivers parking on the
pavement across Knutsford" No chav-cyclist content.
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 15:14:06 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 15:14 UTC

On 27/01/2024 02:59 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> QUOTE: “Vehicles have been issued with fixed penalty notices around Knutsford for *fully* parking on the pavement [they meant "footway" - Ed.] and causing unnecessary obstruction to pedestrians, wheelchair users and prams, forcing them to go onto busy roads. ENDS
>
> Look at this selfish bastard with a ticket.
>
> https://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/resources/images/17664990.jpg?type=mds-article-962

Spot May Sun's non-deliberate (but hilarious!) mistake.

Sorry for the four-syllable word.

Re: MORE TROLLING by May Sun: "Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford" No chav-cyclist content.

<l1ko16F3me6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34458&group=uk.rec.cycling#34458

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: MORE TROLLING by May Sun: "Police fine drivers parking
on the pavement across Knutsford" No chav-cyclist content.
Date: 27 Jan 2024 16:07:02 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 16:07 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 27/01/2024 02:59 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
>
>> QUOTE: “Vehicles have been issued with fixed penalty notices around
>> Knutsford for *fully* parking on the pavement [they meant "footway" -
>> Ed.] and causing unnecessary obstruction to pedestrians, wheelchair
>> users and prams, forcing them to go onto busy roads. ENDS
>>
>> Look at this selfish bastard with a ticket.
>>
>> https://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/resources/images/17664990.jpg?type=mds-article-962
>
> Spot May Sun's non-deliberate (but hilarious!) mistake.

:-)

--
Spike

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<519f452a-2659-41a7-bf15-edd8e6b1f62dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34467&group=uk.rec.cycling#34467

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 11:00:01 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 19:00 UTC

New laws to prevent parking on pavements will be introduced by Falkirk Council this year but 'advisory notices' will be issued before any fines of £100 are handed out.

From December 11, Scottish local authorities were given the power to enforce legislation that bans pavement parking, double parking and parking at dropped kerbs.

Falkirk Council says the first step will be to use advisory notices for around six months, to make sure that people are aware of the changes.

While there is no firm date for this, it is expected to be "early this year" and work has already been done to assess all A and B roads to see where any exemptions are needed.

Plans are now underway to look at C roads and unclassified roads.

The Transport (Scotland) Act 2019 bans pavement parking, double parking and parking at dropped kerbs, with certain exemptions - for example to ensure safe access for emergency vehicles.

This means drivers could be fined £100, although this would be reduced to £50 if paid within 14 days.

So far, Edinburgh City Council is the only one that has set a date to start implementing the legislation.

It announced this week that enforcement against parking on pavements, parking at crossing points and double parking will begin in Edinburgh on Monday, January 29.

The Scottish Government says that parking on pavements make life very difficult for pavement users, forcing them to take unnecessary risks by moving around the car and onto the road.

Introducing a national awareness raising campaign, which will include radio and social media advertising, the Minister for Transport, Fiona Hyslop, said: “We’re highlighting the danger that illegal pavement parking poses to pavement users, and in particular those with mobility issues or visual impairments, or parents pushing prams and buggies."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/crackdown-pavement-parking-start-falkirk-31857149

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<l1l590F5sbiU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34475&group=uk.rec.cycling#34475

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 19:53:04 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 19:53 UTC

On 27/01/2024 07:00 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> New laws to prevent parking on pavements will be introduced by Falkirk Council this year but 'advisory notices' will be issued before any fines of £100 are handed out.

Ahem...

Falkirk does NOT include Knutsford or any other part of England.

> From December 11, Scottish local authorities were given the power to enforce legislation that bans pavement parking, double parking and parking at dropped kerbs.
> Falkirk Council says the first step will be to use advisory notices for around six months, to make sure that people are aware of the changes.
> While there is no firm date for this, it is expected to be "early this year" and work has already been done to assess all A and B roads to see where any exemptions are needed.
> Plans are now underway to look at C roads and unclassified roads.
> The Transport (Scotland) Act 2019 bans pavement parking, double parking and parking at dropped kerbs, with certain exemptions - for example to ensure safe access for emergency vehicles.
> This means drivers could be fined £100, although this would be reduced to £50 if paid within 14 days.
> So far, Edinburgh City Council is the only one that has set a date to start implementing the legislation.
> It announced this week that enforcement against parking on pavements, parking at crossing points and double parking will begin in Edinburgh on Monday, January 29.
> The Scottish Government says that parking on pavements make life very difficult for pavement users, forcing them to take unnecessary risks by moving around the car and onto the road.

It particularly affects the chav-cyclists, doesn't it?

> Introducing a national awareness raising campaign, which will include radio and social media advertising, the Minister for Transport, Fiona Hyslop, said: “We’re highlighting the danger that illegal pavement parking poses to pavement users, and in particular those with mobility issues or visual impairments, or parents pushing prams and buggies."
>
> https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/crackdown-pavement-parking-start-falkirk-31857149

All very well.

But your post was about Knutsford, within the East Cheshire unitary, in
North West *ENGLAND*.

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<ab034165-4f56-4a35-92a8-ecbb833d64bbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34479&group=uk.rec.cycling#34479

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 21:41:17 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 05:41 UTC

South Yorkshire Police embarked on a campaign to end dangerous parking earlier this year. Since then, over 400 drivers have been punished by the police for committing parking offences in Sheffield.

The force has now warned that motorists will face action if their cars are adjudged to be blocking a pavement or a cycle lane.

It added that drivers who parked in a way that impeded cyclists and pedestrians would face £100 fines and three points on their licence, YorkshireLive reported.

Since the operation started in May, South Yorkshire Police received 261 tips from members of the public, who were invited to share images and videos of inconsiderate and selfish parkers.

Officers added that they took action in most of the cases.Some of those cases have even made their way to court. Inspector Kevin Smith said: "We are beginning to see some cases go to court, which will be the ultimate test of the procedure.

“That 261 doesn't include TORs (Traffic Offence Reports) issued by my newly trained PCSOs/PCs for dangerous parking offences they have witnessed – that figure would be north of 400.”

The force added that it will not be stopping any time soon and is asking the public to report any incidents of dangerous parking.

The police's operational document reads: "The police cannot be everywhere. This initiative relies on the help of active citizens to help enforce the law and make the roads safer.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1662157/driver-warning-parking-police-crackdown-pavement-parking

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<l1n2l0Fgh8cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34488&group=uk.rec.cycling#34488

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 13:20:32 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 13:20 UTC

On 28/01/2024 05:41 am, Simon Mason wrote:

> South Yorkshire Police embarked on a campaign to end dangerous parking earlier this year. Since then, over 400 drivers have been punished by the police for committing parking offences in Sheffield.
>
> The force has now warned that motorists will face action if their cars are adjudged to be blocking a pavement or a cycle lane.
>
> It added that drivers who parked in a way that impeded cyclists and pedestrians would face £100 fines and three points on their licence, YorkshireLive reported.
>
> Since the operation started in May, South Yorkshire Police received 261 tips from members of the public, who were invited to share images and videos of inconsiderate and selfish parkers.
>
> Officers added that they took action in most of the cases.Some of those cases have even made their way to court. Inspector Kevin Smith said: "We are beginning to see some cases go to court, which will be the ultimate test of the procedure.
>
> “That 261 doesn't include TORs (Traffic Offence Reports) issued by my newly trained PCSOs/PCs for dangerous parking offences they have witnessed – that figure would be north of 400.”
>
> The force added that it will not be stopping any time soon and is asking the public to report any incidents of dangerous parking.
>
> The police's operational document reads: "The police cannot be everywhere. This initiative relies on the help of active citizens to help enforce the law and make the roads safer.
>

> https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1662157/driver-warning-parking-police-crackdown-pavement-parking

What have South Yorkshire Police got to do with Knutsford?

Is this just another example of May Sun's lack of geographical insight?

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<3fde77fa-85d8-47a4-9872-566206e984b0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34491&group=uk.rec.cycling#34491

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 06:13:55 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 14:13 UTC

Pedestrians rely on pavements to be safe and free of obstacles that could force them into the road. The issue of pavement parking particularly affects those with mobility difficulties, those who are blind or visually impaired, and anyone walking with pushchairs, children, guide dogs or using mobility aids.

If you are a business owner parking on pavements can present unique challenges.

If the pavement outside of your property is obstructed it can make it challenging for pedestrians, particularly those with mobility difficulties, to access your property. Parking on the pavement outside of your business can also block your premises from view, making it difficult for new visitors to find your property.

Local authorities have the power to ban pavement parking in their districts, although often they may not have the resources to enforce it

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<l1njcnFje1cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34497&group=uk.rec.cycling#34497

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 18:06:15 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 18:06 UTC

On 28/01/2024 02:13 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Pedestrians rely on pavements to be safe and free of obstacles that could force them into the road...

....such as uber-chavs on chav-cycles on FOOTways.

> The issue of pavement parking particularly affects those with mobility difficulties, those who are blind or visually impaired, and anyone walking with pushchairs, children, guide dogs or using mobility aids...

....who are particularly vulnerable to the actions of chavs on chav-bikes
on FOOTways.

> If you are a business owner parking on pavements can present unique challenges.
> If the pavement outside of your property is obstructed it can make it challenging for pedestrians, particularly those with mobility difficulties, to access your property. Parking on the pavement outside of your business can also block your premises from view, making it difficult for new visitors to find your property.
> Local authorities have the power to ban pavement parking in their districts, although often they may not have the resources to enforce it

So people would have to park *outside* the whole district?

What does North East Lincolnshire District Council have to say about that?

Are they expecting trade in the district to expand or contract?

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<b10d6d51-2350-4f5f-8323-713f5280c8ban@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34499&group=uk.rec.cycling#34499

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 10:24:20 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 18:24 UTC

DRIVERS blocking pavements in Lymm have been fined.

Police issued fixed penalty notices to vehicles parked on the pavement on Church Road and Pepper Street.

The vehicles had ‘left no safe place’ for pedestrians to get past.

Police urge drivers to be more thoughtful about parents with pushchairs and disabled people in wheelchairs.

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/23994210.lymm-police-continue-crackdown-dangerous-parking-village/

" Philippa Daley 17th December 2023 11:29 am
User ID: 3960308
This should be enforced in all towns. When someone with a pram has to go on the road to get around them its dangerous. These thoughtless, selfish people deserve to be fined".

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<l1nphrFkgevU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34504&group=uk.rec.cycling#34504

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 28 Jan 2024 19:51:23 GMT
 by: Spike - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 19:51 UTC

JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
> On 28/01/2024 02:13 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

>> Pedestrians rely on pavements to be safe and free of obstacles that
>> could force them into the road...

> ...such as uber-chavs on chav-cycles on FOOTways.
As Auriol Grey found out to her cost.

--
Spike

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<b697a8fc-21e9-41e4-a619-875986e40f79n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34505&group=uk.rec.cycling#34505

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 12:59:13 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 20:59 UTC

On Sunday, January 28, 2024 at 6:24:22 PM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
> DRIVERS blocking pavements in Lymm have been fined.
>
> Police issued fixed penalty notices to vehicles parked on the pavement on Church Road and Pepper Street.
>
> The vehicles had ‘left no safe place’ for pedestrians to get past.
>
> Police urge drivers to be more thoughtful about parents with pushchairs and disabled people in wheelchairs.
>
> https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/23994210.lymm-police-continue-crackdown-dangerous-parking-village/
>
> " Philippa Daley 17th December 2023 11:29 am
> User ID: 3960308
> This should be enforced in all towns. When someone with a pram has to go on the road to get around them its dangerous. These thoughtless, selfish people deserve to be fined".

Isn't Lymm in Cheshire?
Must be joining Knutsford in cracking down on these selfish twats.

https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/24/590x/891318_1.jpg

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<l1o367Fm1cgU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34506&group=uk.rec.cycling#34506

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:35:51 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:35 UTC

On 28/01/2024 06:24 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> DRIVERS blocking pavements in Lymm have been fined.
> Police issued fixed penalty notices to vehicles parked on the pavement on Church Road and Pepper Street.
> The vehicles had ‘left no safe place’ for pedestrians to get past.

That sounds as thought it could be simple 1847 Act obstruction.

No-one should ever park obstructively.

> Police urge drivers to be more thoughtful about parents with pushchairs and disabled people in wheelchairs.
> https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/23994210.lymm-police-continue-crackdown-dangerous-parking-village/
> " Philippa Daley 17th December 2023 11:29 am
> User ID: 3960308
> This should be enforced in all towns. When someone with a pram has to go on the road to get around them its dangerous. These thoughtless, selfish people deserve to be fined".

What about the chavs on chav-bikes on the FOOTway, though?

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<l1o37oFm1cgU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34507&group=uk.rec.cycling#34507

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:36:40 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 28 Jan 2024 22:36 UTC

On 28/01/2024 08:59 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> On Sunday, January 28, 2024 at 6:24:22 PM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
>> DRIVERS blocking pavements in Lymm have been fined.
>>
>> Police issued fixed penalty notices to vehicles parked on the pavement on Church Road and Pepper Street.
>>
>> The vehicles had ‘left no safe place’ for pedestrians to get past.
>>
>> Police urge drivers to be more thoughtful about parents with pushchairs and disabled people in wheelchairs.
>>
>> https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/23994210.lymm-police-continue-crackdown-dangerous-parking-village/
>>
>> " Philippa Daley 17th December 2023 11:29 am
>> User ID: 3960308
>> This should be enforced in all towns. When someone with a pram has to go on the road to get around them its dangerous. These thoughtless, selfish people deserve to be fined".
>
> Isn't Lymm in Cheshire?

No point in asking you, is there?

You thought that Dublin was in the UK!

> Must be joining Knutsford in cracking down on these selfish twats.
>
> https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/24/590x/891318_1.jpg

Re: Police fine drivers parking on the pavement across Knutsford

<ef13199f-f084-445a-849d-bd66333c73c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34509&group=uk.rec.cycling#34509

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 00:27:01 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 08:27 UTC

Sheffield Council’s £98,000 crackdown on illegal pavement parking is moving into its second phase tackling 17 city centre hotspots including West Street, High Street, Wicker and Arundel Gate.

The authority said there was increasing public pressure to clampdown on the problem.

“Parking on pavements in the city centre is hindering pedestrian safety by obstructing access and visibility,” council officers said.

In the latest report on capital spending, officers said the budget for the project had increased by £31,400 to complete the first phase where extra signage was needed and progress with the second phase.

The second phase covers the following “hotspots”: Eyre Street outside Jurys Inn, Solly Street, Norfolk Street, Arundel Gate, Upper Allen, Furnival Gate, Charter Row, West Street, Hereford Street, Wicker, Broad Street, Shude Hill, Barkers Hill, Hoyle Street, High Street, Brook Drive and Scargill Croft.

In total, the project budget is £98,000 – which is fully funded from the Local Transport Plan.

Pavement parking in the city centre was banned in Sheffield last year with the introduction of a new traffic regulation order. Enforcement officers can now issue £70 fines, which reduce to £35 if paid within 14 days, including at controlled crossing zigzags, bus stop clearways, parking bays and unrestricted roads.

Some Sheffielders shared their views online about the latest action, saying it was positive news but pavement parking was as much of a problem in the suburbs and they hoped to see this action extended across the city.

The council does have a number of ongoing projects tackling parking problems outside of the centre including a rolling programme of new restrictions.

Officers said: “The council receives a large number of requests for parking restrictions (yellow lines) via email, letter and phone. The lack of parking restrictions in certain areas causes road safety and access issues, including an inability for emergency services to access properties.

In the same report on capital spending, the council said the budget for the work this year had increased by £44,000 – which is also funded by the Local Transport Plan.

This will cover these areas: Handsworth Road, Wadsley Lane, Bawtry Road, Baxter Mews, Clough Fields, Darwin Lane, Dyson Place, Hoyland Road, Longley Lane, New Street, Norwood Road, Shiregreen Lane, Springwater Drive, Vulcan Road and Southey Hill.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/sheffield-councils-ps98000-crackdown-on-illegal-city-centre-pavement-parking-4026801