From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [Cycling] Khan’s Khoffers Khyboshed?
Date: 26 Jan 2024 23:12:17 GMT
 by: Spike - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:12 UTC

[This report is relevant to the group because the cycling media supports
such schemes, and has clamoured for them long and hard. What a pity it has
turned into such a cock-up (“..largest data breach in history?”). Will
Khan’s head roll?]

Hundreds of thousands of EU citizens were wrongly fined for driving in
London’s Ulez clean air zone, according to European governments, in what
has been described as “possibly one of the largest data breaches in EU
history”.

The Guardian can reveal Transport for London (TfL) has been accused by five
EU countries of illegally obtaining the names and addresses of their
citizens in order to issue the fines, with more than 320,000 penalties,
some totalling thousands of euros, sent out since 2021.

The Liberal Democrats’ transport spokesperson in the London assembly has
called for an immediate investigation, saying the issue could damage the UK
capital’s reputation as being open to visitors.

Since Brexit, the UK has been banned from automatic access to personal
details of EU residents. Transport authorities in Belgium, Spain, Germany
and the Netherlands have confirmed to the Guardian that driver data cannot
be shared with the UK for enforcement of London’s ultra-low emission zone
(Ulez), and claim registered keeper details were obtained illegally by
agents acting for TfL’s contractor Euro Parking Collection.

In France, more than 100 drivers have launched a lawsuit claiming their
details were obtained fraudulently, while Dutch lorry drivers are taking
legal action against TfL over £6.5m of fines they claim were issued
unlawfully.

According to the Belgian MP Michael Freilich, who has investigated the
issue on behalf of his constituents, TfL is treating European drivers as a
“cash cow” by using data obtained illegitimately to issue unjustifiable
fines.

Many of the penalties have been issued to drivers who visited London in
Ulez-compliant vehicles and were not aware they had to be registered with
TfL’s collections agent Euro Parking at least 10 days before their visit.

Failure to register does not count as a contravention, according to Ulez
rules, but some drivers have nonetheless received penalties of up to five-
figure sums. TfL said the fines were justified because it was unable to
confirm whether foreign vehicles had contravened emissions standards if
they were not registered.

Has London’s Ulez become a magnet for conspiracy theories? – video Some
low-emission cars have been misclassed as heavy goods diesel vehicles and
fined under the separate low-emission zone (Lez) scheme, which incurs
penalties of up to £2,000 a day.

Hundreds of drivers have complained that the fines arrived weeks after the
early payment discount and appeals deadlines had passed.

One French driver was fined £25,000 for allegedly contravening Lez and Ulez
rules, despite the fact his minibus was exempt.

Freilich has asked ministers to raise the issue during the current Belgian
presidency of the Council of the EU. “This is possibly one of the largest
privacy and data breaches in EU history, but so far no concrete action has
been taken while responsibilities are being shunted on to drivers,” he
said.

TfL said that despite an absence of individual data-sharing agreements with
EU countries, “local laws” allowed authorities to share vehicle owner
information with the UK for the enforcement of traffic regulations.

However, EU countries say national laws allow the UK to access personal
data only for criminal offences, not civil ones. Breaching Ulez rules is a
civil offence, while more risky behaviour such as speeding or driving under
the influence of drink or drugs can be a criminal offence. This raises the
question of whether Euro Parking can legally carry out its contract with
TfL.

Euro Parking was awarded a five-year contract by TfL in 2020 to recover
debts from foreign drivers who had breached congestion or emission zone
rules.

The company, which is paid according to its performance, is estimated to
have earned between £5m and £10m. It has the option to renew for a further
five years.

The firm is owned by the US transport technology group Verra Mobility,
which is listed on the Nasdaq stock exchange and headed by the former Bank
of America Merrill Lynch executive David Roberts. The company’s net revenue
was $205m (£161m) in the second quarter of 2023.

In October, the Belgian government ordered a criminal investigation after a
court bailiff was accused of illegally passing the details of 20,000
drivers to Euro Parking for Ulez enforcement. The bailiff was suspended in
2022 and TfL initially claimed that no Belgian data had been shared with
Euro Parking since then. However, a freedom of information request by the
Guardian found that more than 17,400 fines had been issued to Belgians in
the intervening 19 months.

TfL then claimed driver details were provided directly to Euro Parking by
Belgium’s vehicle licensing agency. It has since told the Guardian they are
obtained via a National Contact Point (NCP), a network of official
information hubs for use by authorised agencies.

However, the Belgian minister for transport has confirmed that data cannot
be shared directly or indirectly for Ulez enforcement. Last month, the
Belgian data protection authority began an investigation into how the
information was still being obtained.

Campaigners accuse Euro Parking of circumventing data protection rules by
using EU-based agents to request driver data without disclosing that it is
for UK enforcement.

Last year, an investigation by the Dutch vehicle licensing authority RDW
found that the personal details of 55,000 citizens had been obtained via an
NCP in Italy. “The NCP informed us that the authorised users have used the
data in an unlawful way and stopped their access,” a spokesperson said.

The German transport authority KBA claimed that an Italian NCP was used to
obtain information from its database. “Euro Parking obtained the data
through unlawful use of an EU directive to facilitate the cross-border
exchange of information about traffic offences that endanger road safety,”
a KBA spokesperson said. “The directive does not include breaches of
environmental rules.”

Spain’s transport department told the Guardian that UK authorities were not
allowed access to driver details for Ulez enforcement. Euro Parking has
sent more than 25,600 fines to Spanish drivers since 2021.

In France, 102 drivers have launched a lawsuit claiming that their details
were fraudulently obtained. Romain Binelli, of the law firm Woog &
Associés, who is representing the litigants, said: “The question is who
could have accessed the information. Either Euro Parking and TfL have
maintained their access to the vehicle database, which should have ended
after Brexit, or they are paying someone to get the information. Drivers
are receiving packets of 10 or more fines for monstrous amounts all at
once, often well after the [deadline] date to contest them.”

TfL, speaking on behalf of Euro Parking, said: “Any company working on our
behalf is contractually required to ensure that data is processed in line
with the relevant data protection legislation. We work closely with
European Parking Collection to ensure all elements of the contract are
being adhered to and have mechanisms in place should they not be fulfilled.

“Euro Parking make it clear when they submit requests for keeper data in EU
countries that they are acting on behalf of TfL, for enforcement of
road-user charging in London, even when they route those requests through a
third party. Euro Parking has not been prevented from accessing keeper data
for drivers in EU countries.”

Caroline Pidgeon, the Lib Dem London assembly member and transport
spokesperson, called for an immediate investigation after the Guardian
shared its findings.

“It is extremely worrying to hear that TfL could be collecting its data
from drivers unlawfully,” she said. “The extent of fines being issued to
visitors from the EU, many incorrectly, demonstrates that the rules are not
being communicated clearly to tourists, something which I have raised with
TfL in the past only to be brushed off. If this issue is not solved
urgently, it risks seriously damaging London’s reputation as being open to
visitors.”

<https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/26/eu-citizens-ulez-fines-data-breach-tfl>

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling] Khan’s Khoffers Khyboshed?

<l1j0jpFp6n8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34438&group=uk.rec.cycling#34438

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re:_[Cycling]_Khan’s_Khoffers_Khyboshed?
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 00:21:13 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 00:21 UTC

On 26/01/2024 11:12 pm, Spike wrote:

> [...]
> countries that they are acting on behalf of TfL, for enforcement of
> road-user charging in London, even when they route those requests through a
> third party. Euro Parking has not been prevented from accessing keeper data
> for drivers in EU countries.”
>
> Caroline Pidgeon, the Lib Dem London assembly member and transport
> spokesperson, called for an immediate investigation after the Guardian
> shared its findings.
>
> “It is extremely worrying to hear that TfL could be collecting its data
> from drivers unlawfully,” she said. “The extent of fines being issued to
> visitors from the EU, many incorrectly, demonstrates that the rules are not
> being communicated clearly to tourists, something which I have raised with
> TfL in the past only to be brushed off. If this issue is not solved
> urgently, it risks seriously damaging London’s reputation as being open to

Click here to read the complete article
Re: [Cycling] Khan’s Khoffers Khyboshed?

<l1jvg7Fu3l6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34444&group=uk.rec.cycling#34444

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: [Cycling] Khan’s Khoffers
Khyboshed?
Date: 27 Jan 2024 09:08:24 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:08 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 26/01/2024 11:12 pm, Spike wrote:

>> [This report is relevant to the group because the cycling media supports
>> such schemes, and has clamoured for them long and hard. What a pity it has
>> turned into such a cock-up (“..largest data breach in history?”). Will
>> Khan’s head roll?]

>> Hundreds of thousands of EU citizens were wrongly fined for driving in
>> London’s Ulez clean air zone, according to European governments, in what
>> has been described as “possibly one of the largest data breaches in EU
>> history”.

>> The Guardian can reveal Transport for London (TfL) has been accused by five
>> EU countries of illegally obtaining the names and addresses of their
>> citizens in order to issue the fines, with more than 320,000 penalties,
>> some totalling thousands of euros, sent out since 2021.

>> The Liberal Democrats’ transport spokesperson in the London assembly has
>> called for an immediate investigation, saying the issue could damage the UK
>> capital’s reputation as being open to visitors.

>> Since Brexit, the UK has been banned from automatic access to personal
>> details of EU residents. Transport authorities in Belgium, Spain, Germany
>> and the Netherlands have confirmed to the Guardian that driver data cannot
>> be shared with the UK for enforcement of London’s ultra-low emission zone
>> (Ulez), and claim registered keeper details were obtained illegally by
>> agents acting for TfL’s contractor Euro Parking Collection.

<snip>

>> <https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/26/eu-citizens-ulez-fines-data-breach-tfl>

> And what is the upshot of all this?

> It is surely and inescapably that Genghis and his whole GLA/TaL
> apparatus are hopelessly corrupt and cannot possibly be trusted to
> handle anyone's personal data.

Well, to use that famous phrase, there seems much to be answered here.

> And certainly not their bank details.

> PS: What made Pidgeon "think" that London is "open to visitors"?

A distorted view of reality?

> London is the most *hostile* and threatening city for visitors in the
> whole of Europe.

Dreadful place. Someone on R4 the other morning was advocating not
punishing youths for carrying machetes provided they were only used for
defensive purposes!!

> Except possibly for Brighton and Hove.

Another fascist state, that knows what’s good for everyone else.

I take it you have noticed the cr*pflood of off-topic postings put up this
morning following the OP in this thread? Some five posts between 0429 and
0447? It looks as if someone couldn’t sleep despite all the health benefits
of cycling [SIC]…

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling] Khan’s Khoffers Khyboshed?

<l1kl9eF37jrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34455&group=uk.rec.cycling#34455

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 15:20:14 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 15:20 UTC

On 27/01/2024 09:08 am, Spike wrote:

> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 26/01/2024 11:12 pm, Spike wrote:
>
>>> [This report is relevant to the group because the cycling media supports
>>> such schemes, and has clamoured for them long and hard. What a pity it has
>>> turned into such a cock-up (“..largest data breach in history?”). Will
>>> Khan’s head roll?]
>
>>> Hundreds of thousands of EU citizens were wrongly fined for driving in
>>> London’s Ulez clean air zone, according to European governments, in what
>>> has been described as “possibly one of the largest data breaches in EU
>>> history”.
>
>>> The Guardian can reveal Transport for London (TfL) has been accused by five
>>> EU countries of illegally obtaining the names and addresses of their
>>> citizens in order to issue the fines, with more than 320,000 penalties,
>>> some totalling thousands of euros, sent out since 2021.
>
>>> The Liberal Democrats’ transport spokesperson in the London assembly has
>>> called for an immediate investigation, saying the issue could damage the UK
>>> capital’s reputation as being open to visitors.
>
>>> Since Brexit, the UK has been banned from automatic access to personal
>>> details of EU residents. Transport authorities in Belgium, Spain, Germany
>>> and the Netherlands have confirmed to the Guardian that driver data cannot
>>> be shared with the UK for enforcement of London’s ultra-low emission zone
>>> (Ulez), and claim registered keeper details were obtained illegally by
>>> agents acting for TfL’s contractor Euro Parking Collection.
>
> <snip>
>
>>> <https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/26/eu-citizens-ulez-fines-data-breach-tfl>
>
>> And what is the upshot of all this?
>
>> It is surely and inescapably [true] that Genghis and his whole GLA/
>> TaL apparatus are hopelessly corrupt and cannot possibly be trusted
>> to andle anyone's personal data.
>
> Well, to use that famous phrase, there seems much to be answered here.
>
>> And certainly not their bank details.
>
>> PS: What made Pidgeon "think" that London is "open to visitors"?
>
> A distorted view of reality?
>
>> London is the most *hostile* and threatening city for visitors in the
>> whole of Europe.
>
> Dreadful place. Someone on R4 the other morning was advocating not
> punishing youths for carrying machetes provided they were only used for
> defensive purposes!!

Some actor called "Idris"?

I heard him the other day, resiling from his own previous anti-knife
position. Of course, he meant that "certain people" shouldn't be
punished for carrying blades. He didn't identify that category of
person. One can only guess at his meaning. It's a puzzle, isn't it?

>> Except possibly for Brighton and Hove.
>
> Another fascist state, that knows what’s good for everyone else.
>
> I take it you have noticed the cr*pflood of off-topic postings put up this
> morning following the OP in this thread? Some five posts between 0429 and
> 0447? It looks as if someone couldn’t sleep despite all the health benefits
> of cycling [SIC]…

No. Nothing today in this thread except for the post to which I am
responding. There are odd things going on, perhaps at the Berlin Free
University facilities though more probably at Google Groups.

Re: [Cycling] Khan’s Khoffers Khyboshed?

<l1ko16F3me6U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34459&group=uk.rec.cycling#34459

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Khyboshed?
Date: 27 Jan 2024 16:07:02 GMT
 by: Spike - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 16:07 UTC

JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:
> On 27/01/2024 09:08 am, Spike wrote:
>
>> JNugent <jnugent@mail.com> wrote:

>> <snip>

>>> And what is the upshot of all this?
>>
>>> It is surely and inescapably [true] that Genghis and his whole GLA/
>>> TaL apparatus are hopelessly corrupt and cannot possibly be trusted
>>> to andle anyone's personal data.
>>
>> Well, to use that famous phrase, there seems much to be answered here.
>>
>>> And certainly not their bank details.
>>
>>> PS: What made Pidgeon "think" that London is "open to visitors"?
>>
>> A distorted view of reality?
>>
>>> London is the most *hostile* and threatening city for visitors in the
>>> whole of Europe.
>>
>> Dreadful place. Someone on R4 the other morning was advocating not
>> punishing youths for carrying machetes provided they were only used for
>> defensive purposes!!
>
> Some actor called "Idris"?

I turned the radio off when he came on. But nonetheless the ‘defensive
machete’ proposal was advanced by a woman whose name and affiliation I
forgot immediately she started pronouncing on the topic.

> I heard him the other day, resiling from his own previous anti-knife
> position. Of course, he meant that "certain people" shouldn't be
> punished for carrying blades. He didn't identify that category of
> person. One can only guess at his meaning. It's a puzzle, isn't it?

It’s a puzzle of modern times…

>>> Except possibly for Brighton and Hove.
>>
>> Another fascist state, that knows what’s good for everyone else.

>> I take it you have noticed the cr*pflood of off-topic postings put up this
>> morning following the OP in this thread? Some five posts between 0429 and
>> 0447? It looks as if someone couldn’t sleep despite all the health benefits
>> of cycling [SIC]…

> No. Nothing today in this thread except for the post to which I am
> responding.

Lucky you! Why was I so blessed?

> There are odd things going on, perhaps at the Berlin Free
> University facilities though more probably at Google Groups.

It’ll soon be G-Day :-)

--
Spike

Re: [Cycling] Khan’s Khoffers Khyboshed?

<l1l28tF5db4U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34468&group=uk.rec.cycling#34468

From: jnug...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 19:01:49 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 19:01 UTC

I might not be in the UK that day.

More's the pity.