Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers. -- Leonard Brandwein

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Pavement parking crackdown begins in Edinburgh

SubjectAuthor
* Pavement parking crackdown begins in EdinburghSimon Mason
+- Re: Pavement parking crackdown begins in Edinburgh in order to create safe high-JNugent
+* Re: Pavement parking crackdown begins in EdinburghSimon Mason
|`* Re: Pavement parking crackdown begins in EdinburghJNugent
| `* Re: Pavement parking crackdown begins in EdinburghSpike
|  `- Re: Pavement parking crackdown begins in EdinburghJNugent
`- Re: Pavement parking crackdown begins in EdinburghSimon Mason

1
Pavement parking crackdown begins in Edinburgh

<22ae0d08-cbd9-4793-ab2f-2385fce06f76n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34523&group=uk.rec.cycling#34523

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 10:52:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Pavement parking crackdown begins in Edinburgh
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 18:52 UTC

Motorists in Edinburgh now face a £100 fine for parking on pavements, as the city council becomes the first in Scotland to implement the ban.

The rules are designed to protect pedestrians, especially people in wheelchairs and those pushing buggies.

But BBC Scotland News has also spoken to people worried it could lead to problems for bin lorries and emergency service vehicles on narrow streets.

The council said pavement parking was a "persistent issue" on 500 streets.

Victoria Watson, 50, who has lived in Regent Street for 17 years with her three children, said she agreed pavements should be clear of vehicles.

But she added: "The council has left us with no solution as to how emergency service vehicles and bin lorries get down the street when cars are parked on both sides of this narrow street.

"They have not consulted us or come up with signs or double yellow lines on one side of the road.

"They have just slapped this ban on without giving us any suggestions and left us in a bun fight. It is very heavy-handed, ill-thought-out and very irresponsible."

Scott Arthur, City of Edinburgh Council's transport and environment convener, said he had faith in motorists realising when they were blocking a road.

"Every driver is responsible for parking their vehicles considerately, and where this would not cause an obstruction to the road," he added.

"If a driver can't park with all four wheels on the road without blocking traffic, we would encourage them to park elsewhere. Neither parking on the footpath nor blocking the road is safe or acceptable."

However, he added that officials would be monitoring streets to check if the changes were having a knock-on impact, including traffic displacement or access issues.

"If this is the case we could intervene, using available powers, to restrict inconsiderate parking," he said.

City of Edinburgh Council is the first in Scotland to implement new powers given to it by the Transport (Scotland) Act 2019, which came into effect last month.

It begins enforcing the ban on pavement parking on Monday.

Parking at dropped kerbs and double parking will also be banned, with an exemption for delivery drivers.

No additional parking staff are being recruited to enforce the rules. Instead, current parking attendants will patrol the problem areas.
Linda Gariock, 73, said it was not fair for motorists to park on the pavement.

"They have to park on the pavement because otherwise no traffic can go down the narrow streets here but I'm very much against it," she said.

"There should only be parking on one side of the street.

"People with buggies and wheelchairs can't get past and they are having to go on the road where they could get knocked down. It is selfish and absolutely ridiculous."

Janis Penman, 74, who travels by mobility scooter, said she felt sorry for motorists and thought more parking areas should be created.

"I would not even attempt to go down a street with cars parked on the pavement," she added.

"I am very careful and look far ahead to make sure I can fit my scooter through.

"I find it very difficult to reverse in this as I've never driven a car in my life so I don't want to get stuck.

"If I come across a street like Regent Street then I would go along to the next street."

Adam Ramsay, 38, said he has to walk down Regent Street to reach his home in Windsor Place with his young daughters.

"My father-in-law lives here and he has days where he can't leave the house because of the vehicles on the pavement as he is in a wheelchair.

"It frustrating and not fair on him.

"Cars take up a huge amount of the city already and now even take up pedestrian space.

"I'm glad they are doing this as it will be much easier for us to get down the street with our children."

Transport convener Scott Arthur said they had already started to see improvements after sending out letters to some of the worst affected streets ahead of the ban

Bruce McRoberts, 67, who lives in Rankin Road, said his neighbourhood had rallied together to find a solution.

"The problem has been terrible here for years but since we received the letters we have a WhatsApp group and only have parking on one side of the street now," he said.

"It is completely clear now and you wouldn't think there had ever been a terrible problem here.

"I used to see people with buggies on the road, it was very dangerous, but not now. All it's taken is a bit of leadership in the street and us all pulling together.

"You can still see where the cars were parked on the pavement though because the ground is all worn away and needs to be fixed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-68087244

Re: Pavement parking crackdown begins in Edinburgh in order to create safe high-speed routes for chavs on chav-bikes

<l1qc7sF47dfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34524&group=uk.rec.cycling#34524

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: Re: Pavement parking crackdown begins in Edinburgh in order to create
safe high-speed routes for chavs on chav-bikes
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:22:36 +0000
 by: JNugent - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 19:22 UTC

On 29/01/2024 06:52 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

> Motorists in Edinburgh now face a £100 fine for parking on pavements, as the city council becomes the first in Scotland to implement the ban.
>
> The rules are designed to protect pedestrians, especially people in wheelchairs and those pushing buggies...

....and chav-cyclists, few of whom could care in the slightest for the
safety of people walking (the cheek of it! WALKING!) on Edinburgh's
FOOTways.

> But BBC Scotland News has also spoken to people worried it could lead to problems for bin lorries and emergency service vehicles on narrow streets.
> The council said pavement parking was a "persistent issue" on 500 streets.
> Victoria Watson, 50, who has lived in Regent Street for 17 years with her three children, said she agreed pavements should be clear of vehicles.
> But she added: "The council has left us with no solution as to how emergency service vehicles and bin lorries get down the street when cars are parked on both sides of this narrow street.
> "They have not consulted us or come up with signs or double yellow lines on one side of the road.

That (double yellow lines on one side) will be necessary.

> "They have just slapped this ban on without giving us any suggestions and left us in a bun fight. It is very heavy-handed, ill-thought-out and very irresponsible."
> Scott Arthur, City of Edinburgh Council's transport and environment convener, said he had faith in motorists realising when they were blocking a road.
> "Every driver is responsible for parking their vehicles considerately, and where this would not cause an obstruction to the road," he added.
> "If a driver can't park with all four wheels on the road without blocking traffic, we would encourage them to park elsewhere. Neither parking on the footpath nor blocking the road is safe or acceptable."
> However, he added that officials would be monitoring streets to check if the changes were having a knock-on impact, including traffic displacement or access issues.
> "If this is the case we could intervene, using available powers, to restrict inconsiderate parking," he said.
> City of Edinburgh Council is the first in Scotland to implement new powers given to it by the Transport (Scotland) Act 2019, which came into effect last month.
> It begins enforcing the ban on pavement parking on Monday.
> Parking at dropped kerbs and double parking will also be banned, with an exemption for delivery drivers.
> No additional parking staff are being recruited to enforce the rules. Instead, current parking attendants will patrol the problem areas.
> Linda Gariock, 73, said it was not fair for motorists to park on the pavement.
> "They have to park on the pavement because otherwise no traffic can go down the narrow streets here but I'm very much against it," she said.
> "There should only be parking on one side of the street.
> "People with buggies and wheelchairs can't get past and they are having to go on the road where they could get knocked down. It is selfish and absolutely ridiculous."
> Janis Penman, 74, who travels by mobility scooter, said she felt sorry for motorists and thought more parking areas should be created.

Parking areas, or garaging areas?

The latter should be paid for by the householders who would benefit from
being able to garage their vehicles on public land near their homes.
Such land belongs to everyone, not just to them. An economic rent should
be charged.

> "I would not even attempt to go down a street with cars parked on the pavement," she added.
> "I am very careful and look far ahead to make sure I can fit my scooter through.
> "I find it very difficult to reverse in this as I've never driven a car in my life so I don't want to get stuck.
> "If I come across a street like Regent Street then I would go along to the next street."
> Adam Ramsay, 38, said he has to walk down Regent Street to reach his home in Windsor Place with his young daughters.
> "My father-in-law lives here and he has days where he can't leave the house because of the vehicles on the pavement as he is in a wheelchair.
> "It frustrating and not fair on him.
> "Cars take up a huge amount of the city already and now even take up pedestrian space.
> "I'm glad they are doing this as it will be much easier for us to get down the street with our children."
> Transport convener Scott Arthur said they had already started to see improvements after sending out letters to some of the worst affected streets ahead of the ban
> Bruce McRoberts, 67, who lives in Rankin Road, said his neighbourhood had rallied together to find a solution.
> "The problem has been terrible here for years but since we received the letters we have a WhatsApp group and only have parking on one side of the street now," he said.
> "It is completely clear now and you wouldn't think there had ever been a terrible problem here.
> "I used to see people with buggies on the road, it was very dangerous, but not now. All it's taken is a bit of leadership in the street and us all pulling together.
> "You can still see where the cars were parked on the pavement though because the ground is all worn away and needs to be fixed."

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-68087244

Re: Pavement parking crackdown begins in Edinburgh

<a4ddfa8d-8c9c-443a-bc9e-d2e4b4eef401n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34525&group=uk.rec.cycling#34525

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 12:05:57 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 20:05 UTC

QUOTE: Scott Arthur, City of Edinburgh Council's transport and environment convener, said he had faith in motorists realising when they were blocking a road. ENDS

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - does it chuffin' well look like it?

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/resources/images/14110291/?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

Re: Pavement parking crackdown begins in Edinburgh

<l1s6o8Fe8qoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34529&group=uk.rec.cycling#34529

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:01:12 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:01 UTC

On 29/01/2024 08:05 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> QUOTE: Scott Arthur, City of Edinburgh Council's transport and environment convener, said he had faith in motorists realising when they were blocking a road. ENDS
>
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - does it chuffin' well look like it?
>
> https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/resources/images/14110291/?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

That obviously isn't a road and you are therefore a liar.

I bet you complain of "congestion" when a car sales company crams its
stock into a courtyard.

Re: Pavement parking crackdown begins in Edinburgh

<l1sivkFgg33U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34531&group=uk.rec.cycling#34531

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Jan 2024 15:29:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:29 UTC

JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
> On 29/01/2024 08:05 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
>> QUOTE: Scott Arthur, City of Edinburgh Council's transport and
>> environment convener, said he had faith in motorists realising when they
>> were blocking a road. ENDS
>>
>> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - does it chuffin' well look like it?
>>
>> https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/resources/images/14110291/?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen
>
> That obviously isn't a road and you are therefore a liar.
>
> I bet you complain of "congestion" when a car sales company crams its
> stock into a courtyard.

One wonders what Mason makes of this assemblage of motor vehicles - being
EU-related must mean he thinks it’s a Good Thing:

<https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/93669d97f359c1376a01284a01722bf8c536ab6e/0_144_5500_3300/master/5500.jpg?width=465&dpr=2&s=none>

<https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/29/french-farmers-drive-tractors-towards-paris-in-blockade-threat>

--
Spike

Re: Pavement parking crackdown begins in Edinburgh

<l1sjfrFgiq1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34532&group=uk.rec.cycling#34532

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:38:35 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 15:38 UTC

On 30/01/2024 03:29 pm, Spike wrote:

> JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 29/01/2024 08:05 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

>>> QUOTE: Scott Arthur, City of Edinburgh Council's transport and
>>> environment convener, said he had faith in motorists realising when they
>>> were blocking a road. ENDS
>
>>> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA - does it chuffin' well look like it?
>>> https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/resources/images/14110291/?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen
>
>> That obviously isn't a road and you are therefore a liar.
>> I bet you complain of "congestion" when a car sales company crams its
>> stock into a courtyard.
>
> One wonders what Mason makes of this assemblage of motor vehicles - being
> EU-related must mean he thinks it’s a Good Thing:
>
> <https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/93669d97f359c1376a01284a01722bf8c536ab6e/0_144_5500_3300/master/5500.jpg?width=465&dpr=2&s=none>

Catchy slogans on the tractors:

"Our end will be your famine" and "I love my job and I love life".
> <https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/29/french-farmers-drive-tractors-towards-paris-in-blockade-threat>

Re: Pavement parking crackdown begins in Edinburgh

<632bcb3b-6009-45fe-bc55-dcce9771f8bcn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34533&group=uk.rec.cycling#34533

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 08:46:37 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 16:46 UTC

QUOTE:
> "You can still see where the cars were parked on the pavement though because the ground is all worn away and needs to be fixed." ENDS

Look at the pavement damaged by motor vehicles - hope they pay council tax to THAT local authority, instead of making the locals stump up for their selfishness.

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/107FF/production/_132438576_blur-brucemcroberts.jpg.webp