From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Subject: [EU] Post-Brexit EU in turmoil
Date: 29 Jan 2024 22:25:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Mon, 29 Jan 2024 22:25 UTC

Many roads in and out of Paris remain blocked tonight by protesting farmers
and their tractors, in what they've described as a "siege" of the French
capital.

As we bring this page to an end, here's a look at how the day played out:

Farmers took to the streets at around 14:00 local time (13:00 GMT) - they
said their aim was to stop food deliveries to supermarkets and the protests
could last for days

They're angry about a number of things, including falling incomes, rising
bureaucracy and competition from imports

The French government has pledged that additional support for farmers will
be announced tomorrow
France's Prime Minister Gabriel Attal sat down with farming unions earlier,
but we've not yet heard what - if anything - was agreed

There have been similar protests elsewhere across western Europe - the
crossing between Germany and France was blocked by tractors earlier, as was
the motorway connecting Belgium with Luxembourg

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-68126373>

--
Spike

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / [EU] Post-Brexit EU in turmoil