Most general statements are false, including this one. -- Alexander Dumas

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in Brighton

SubjectAuthor
* Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in BrightonSimon Mason
+* Re: Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in BrightonJNugent
|`* Re: Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in BrightonSpike
| `- Re: Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in BrightonJNugent
+- Re: Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in BrightonSimon Mason
`- Re: Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in BrightonSimon Mason

1
Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in Brighton

<99a5a692-7ee0-41a0-af0b-a85c8cfcf6cdn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34537&group=uk.rec.cycling#34537

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 09:08:02 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in Brighton
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 17:08 UTC

A dangerous driver ignored red lights and collided with a pedestrian in Brighton.

Abdul Shabir had been spoken to by Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) for parking illegally in Western Road but refused to stop and give his details.

The PCSOs could smell cannabis from the VW Golf, but Shabir drove away westbound past Waitrose and turned into Montpelier Road.

He paid no regard for other road users and went through a red light during the incident at 1.30pm on December 4, 2021.

Shabir collided with a pedestrian, but did not stop. He drove on the wrong side of the road to get away, despite his windscreen being smashed.

The pedestrian, a 45-year-old man from Littlehampton, described being swept off his feet and over the bonnet of the car.

He was left shaken and was taken to hospital where he was later discharged. He later required further medical treatment.

Shabir tried to flee down Temple Gardens, but was intercepted. After a stand-off, he ran back up Montpelier Road on foot and deposited a carrier bag
containing drugs in a bin which was witnessed by an officer.

The officer parked his vehicle next to the bin and pursued Shabir on foot up the hill in Montpelier Road, where Shabir was detained nearby.

Shabir, an unemployed 27-year-old, of Crown Road, Portslade, was later charged with dangerous driving and possession of a class B drug.

He admitted the charges at Brighton Magistrates’ Court on July 13, and on October 6 he appeared for sentencing at Lewes Crown Court.

Shabir was sentenced to one year in prison. He was disqualified from driving for two and a half years, and was ordered to pay £100 in compensation and a £156 surcharge.

In a statement about the incident, the pedestrian said: “At first I thought the driver was a stupid person and must have ruined his life. But now I just feel angry at him.

“The whole incident was over very quickly, I did not even see the car coming. In hospital they were amazed that I was up and walking.”

After the case, Crime Investigator Lisa Moffat said: “The PCSOs in this case were able to speak to the victim and get detailed accounts of what they had seen.

“Meanwhile an officer reacted swiftly to the report and was able to catch up with Shabir to make the arrest.

“He tried to throw away a plastic bag containing a small amount of cannabis, but this was seized and linked to him through his DNA.

“Shabir was reckless and showed no regard for other road users. It is shocking that despite knocking over a pedestrian he carried on in a bid to evade police.

“This case shows we are determined to catch offenders and get justice for victims.”

https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/sussex/news/court-results/driver-sentenced-over-collision-with-pedestrian-in-brighton/

Re: Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in Brighton

<l1t2igFj3lfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34539&group=uk.rec.cycling#34539

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:56:00 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 19:56 UTC

On 30/01/2024 05:08 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
> A dangerous driver ignored red lights and collided with a pedestrian in Brighton.
>
> Abdul Shabir had been spoken to by Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) for parking illegally in Western Road but refused to stop and give his details.
>
> The PCSOs could smell cannabis from the VW Golf, but Shabir drove away westbound past Waitrose and turned into Montpelier Road.
>
> He paid no regard for other road users and went through a red light during the incident at 1.30pm on December 4, 2021.
>
> Shabir collided with a pedestrian, but did not stop. He drove on the wrong side of the road to get away, despite his windscreen being smashed.
>
> The pedestrian, a 45-year-old man from Littlehampton, described being swept off his feet and over the bonnet of the car.
>
> He was left shaken and was taken to hospital where he was later discharged. He later required further medical treatment.
>
> Shabir tried to flee down Temple Gardens, but was intercepted. After a stand-off, he ran back up Montpelier Road on foot and deposited a carrier bag
> containing drugs in a bin which was witnessed by an officer.
>
> The officer parked his vehicle next to the bin and pursued Shabir on foot up the hill in Montpelier Road, where Shabir was detained nearby.
>
> Shabir, an unemployed 27-year-old, of Crown Road, Portslade, was later charged with dangerous driving and possession of a class B drug.
>
> He admitted the charges at Brighton Magistrates’ Court on July 13, and on October 6 he appeared for sentencing at Lewes Crown Court.
>
> Shabir was sentenced to one year in prison. He was disqualified from driving for two and a half years, and was ordered to pay £100 in compensation and a £156 surcharge.
>
> In a statement about the incident, the pedestrian said: “At first I thought the driver was a stupid person and must have ruined his life. But now I just feel angry at him.
>
> “The whole incident was over very quickly, I did not even see the car coming. In hospital they were amazed that I was up and walking.”
>
> After the case, Crime Investigator Lisa Moffat said: “The PCSOs in this case were able to speak to the victim and get detailed accounts of what they had seen.
>
> “Meanwhile an officer reacted swiftly to the report and was able to catch up with Shabir to make the arrest.
>
> “He tried to throw away a plastic bag containing a small amount of cannabis, but this was seized and linked to him through his DNA.
>
> “Shabir was reckless and showed no regard for other road users. It is shocking that despite knocking over a pedestrian he carried on in a bid to evade police.
>
> “This case shows we are determined to catch offenders and get justice for victims.”
>
> https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/sussex/news/court-results/driver-sentenced-over-collision-with-pedestrian-in-brighton/

Who was the chav-cyclist?

There WAS a chav-cyclist involved. yes?

Otherwise, your post would be an off-topic piece of trolling, wouldn't it?

But I am cheered by your new-found concern for pedestrians.

In the recent past, you have shown favour for law-breaking on-FOOTway
vehicle users and none for their pedestrian victims.

Re: Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in Brighton

<5d1fa20c-323a-4648-8471-b7f7d7fa5e6cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34545&group=uk.rec.cycling#34545

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 12:57:54 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 20:57 UTC

QUOTE: A dangerous driver ignored red lights and collided with a pedestrian in Brighton.ENDS

Amazing - these chav drivers are passing MULTIPLE red lights now.
What would Mr Arsehole say about the sheer level of law breaking by his customers?
Blinded by the Sun from all angles?

Re: Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in Brighton

<l1t8p4Fk5b9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34550&group=uk.rec.cycling#34550

From: aero.sp...@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: 30 Jan 2024 21:41:56 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 21:41 UTC

JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
> On 30/01/2024 05:08 pm, Simon Mason wrote:

>> A dangerous driver ignored red lights and collided with a pedestrian in Brighton.

[…]

>> Shabir tried to flee down Temple Gardens, but was intercepted. After a
>> stand-off, he ran back up Montpelier Road on foot and deposited a carrier bag
>> containing drugs in a bin which was witnessed by an officer.

[…]

>> https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/sussex/news/court-results/driver-sentenced-over-collision-with-pedestrian-in-brighton/
>
> Who was the chav-cyclist?
>
> There WAS a chav-cyclist involved. yes?
>
> Otherwise, your post would be an off-topic piece of trolling, wouldn't it?
>
> But I am cheered by your new-found concern for pedestrians.
>
> In the recent past, you have shown favour for law-breaking on-FOOTway
> vehicle users and none for their pedestrian victims.

This paragraph could have been better rendered:

“After a stand-off, he ran back up Montpelier Road on foot and deposited a
carrier bag containing drugs in a bin which was witnessed by an officer”

As written, the bin was witnessed by the officer, whereas it was the act of
depositing the bag in the bin that was witnessed by an officer.

Perhaps the writer would like to consider joining the team at road.cc?

--
Spike

Re: Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in Brighton

<l1tg3gFlcbfU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34553&group=uk.rec.cycling#34553

From: jnugen...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:46:56 +0000
 by: JNugent - Tue, 30 Jan 2024 23:46 UTC

On 30/01/2024 09:41 pm, Spike wrote:

> JNugent <jnugent97@mail.com> wrote:
>> On 30/01/2024 05:08 pm, Simon Mason wrote:
>
>>> A dangerous driver ignored red lights and collided with a pedestrian in Brighton.
>
> […]
>
>>> Shabir tried to flee down Temple Gardens, but was intercepted. After a
>>> stand-off, he ran back up Montpelier Road on foot and deposited a carrier bag
>>> containing drugs in a bin which was witnessed by an officer.
>
> […]
>
>>> https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/sussex/news/court-results/driver-sentenced-over-collision-with-pedestrian-in-brighton/
>
>> Who was the chav-cyclist?
>> There WAS a chav-cyclist involved. yes?
>> Otherwise, your post would be an off-topic piece of trolling, wouldn't it?
>> But I am cheered by your new-found concern for pedestrians.
>> In the recent past, you have shown favour for law-breaking on-FOOTway
>> vehicle users and none for their pedestrian victims.

> This paragraph could have been better rendered:

> “After a stand-off, he ran back up Montpelier Road on foot and deposited a
> carrier bag containing drugs in a bin which was witnessed by an officer”

> As written, the bin was witnessed by the officer, whereas it was the act of
> depositing the bag in the bin that was witnessed by an officer.
> Perhaps the writer would like to consider joining the team at road.cc?

He might be just a tad better than that lot.

Not much in it, though.

Re: Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in Brighton

<a4e8e830-bd23-496c-96df-feac28b28c03n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34564&group=uk.rec.cycling#34564

Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 01:13:16 -0800 (PST)
From: swldxer1...@gmail.com (Simon Mason)
 by: Simon Mason - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 09:13 UTC

On Tuesday, January 30, 2024 at 5:08:04 PM UTC, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE: A dangerous driver ignored red lights and collided with a pedestrian in Brighton. ENDS

Add another one to this death toll.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GFHoW-PWoAELCNG?format=jpg&name=small

aus+uk / uk.rec.cycling / Re: Driver sentenced over collision with pedestrian in Brighton