I can hire one half of the working class to kill the other half. -- Jay Gould

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?

SubjectAuthor
* Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?MB
`* Re: Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?NY
 +* Re: Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?jon
 |`- Re: Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?Jeff Gaines
 `* Re: Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?MB
  `- Re: Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?Brian Gaff

1
Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?

<tcabk4$19sn0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34632&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34632

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 06:10:27 +0100
 by: MB - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 05:10 UTC

The news reports today of bits of the Chinese satellite coming down in
Australia reminded me of a BBC TV series many years ago (1970s?) set in
a British Embassy in an undefined country possibly the Balkans.

One episode featured a Russian satellite coming down in the country and
Russians, British and Americans all trying to get to the debris first.
I was at university and someone recognised the "satellite" as an old TV
set chassis he found in a quqrry where they must have done the filming.

It sounds very similar to The Embassy Lark which was a Navy Lark spin
off that is repeated on Radio 4 Extra but by him recognised the debris
so it must have been on TV.

I have searched and cannot find any references to such a programme.

Any remember it?

Re: Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?

<tcao7t$1cv3p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34635&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34635

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 09:45:33 +0100
 by: NY - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 08:45 UTC

"MB" <MB@nospam.net> wrote in message news:tcabk4$19sn0$1@dont-email.me...
> The news reports today of bits of the Chinese satellite coming down in
> Australia reminded me of a BBC TV series many years ago (1970s?) set in a
> British Embassy in an undefined country possibly the Balkans.
>
> One episode featured a Russian satellite coming down in the country and
> Russians, British and Americans all trying to get to the debris first. I
> was at university and someone recognised the "satellite" as an old TV set
> chassis he found in a quqrry where they must have done the filming.
>
> It sounds very similar to The Embassy Lark which was a Navy Lark spin off
> that is repeated on Radio 4 Extra but by him recognised the debris so it
> must have been on TV.
>
> I have searched and cannot find any references to such a programme.
>
> Any remember it?

Would it be Farrington of the FO, with Angela Thorne?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090428/reference/

Re: Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?

<tcaqji$1d17k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34639&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34639

From: jon...@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 09:26:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 09:26 UTC

On Tue, 02 Aug 2022 09:45:33 +0100, NY wrote:

> "MB" <MB@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> The news reports today of bits of the Chinese satellite coming down in
>> Australia reminded me of a BBC TV series many years ago (1970s?) set in
>> a British Embassy in an undefined country possibly the Balkans.
>>
>> One episode featured a Russian satellite coming down in the country and
>> Russians, British and Americans all trying to get to the debris first.
>> I was at university and someone recognised the "satellite" as an old TV
>> set chassis he found in a quqrry where they must have done the filming.
>>
>> It sounds very similar to The Embassy Lark which was a Navy Lark spin
>> off that is repeated on Radio 4 Extra but by him recognised the debris
>> so it must have been on TV.
>>
>> I have searched and cannot find any references to such a programme.
>>
>> Any remember it?
>
> Would it be Farrington of the FO, with Angela Thorne?
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090428/reference/

The programme who's name I cant remember had Denholm Elliott in as the
British Attache.

Re: Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?

<xn0nl4rib1ifxh0007@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34640&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34640

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 2 Aug 2022 09:42:07 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 09:42 UTC

On 02/08/2022 in message <tcaqji$1d17k$1@dont-email.me> jon wrote:

>The programme who's name I cant remember had Denholm Elliott in as the
>British Attache.

IMDB is brilliant when you have half an answer:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001186/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Remember, the Flat Earth Society has members all around the globe.

Re: Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?

<tcb61i$1gb1e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34641&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34641

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 13:41:20 +0100
 by: MB - Tue, 2 Aug 2022 12:41 UTC

On 02/08/2022 09:45, NY wrote:
> Would it be Farrington of the FO, with Angela Thorne?
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090428/reference/

I don't think so and sure it was BBC.

Re: Anyone remember a TV series set in a British EMbassy?

<tcde4r$24oj1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34658&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34658

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 10:11:52 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 3 Aug 2022 09:11 UTC

Well does not ring any bells here I have to say.
The plot line is certainly hardly new though, is it. The lighter fragments
of the Chinese rocket that did possibly enter over Oz are a bit of an
anticlimax really.

Brian

--

--: