Dealer prices may vary.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Faint Audio but loud adverts

SubjectAuthor
* Faint Audio but loud advertspinnerite
+* Re: Faint Audio but loud advertsScott
|+* Re: Faint Audio but loud advertsBrian Gaff
||+- Re: Faint Audio but loud advertsalan_m
||+- Re: Faint Audio but loud advertsDavid Woolley
||`- Re: Faint Audio but loud advertswilliamwright
|`* Re: Faint Audio but loud advertsR. Mark Clayton
| `* Re: Faint Audio but loud advertsIan Jackson
|  `- Re: Faint Audio but loud advertswilliamwright
+* Re: Faint Audio but loud advertsMikeS
|+- Re: Faint Audio but loud advertsBrian Gaff
|`* Re: Faint Audio but loud advertsJeff Layman
| `- Re: Faint Audio but loud advertsJava Jive
`- Re: Faint Audio but loud advertsBrian Gaff

1
Faint Audio but loud adverts

<20220808173154.94fd2644449c7e5558a2075e@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34725&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34725

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Faint Audio but loud adverts
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 17:31:54 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 16:31 UTC

Is there any way of lowering the advert volume to the average say, of
the programmes?

I am using MythTV by the way although that shouldn't make any difference.

TIA

Alan

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-122-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of

Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts

<m5r2fht19i2b4241g91ifi6leodr2sga5f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34726&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34726

From: newsgro...@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2022 21:08:16 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 20:08 UTC

On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 17:31:54 +0100, pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Is there any way of lowering the advert volume to the average say, of
>the programmes?
>
>I am using MythTV by the way although that shouldn't make any difference.
>
>TIA

I thought it was a breach of broadcasting rules to increase the volume
for the adverts. I thought Channel 4 was fined for this. I also
thought the test was changed to a subjective one to prevent
broadcasters increasing compression while maintaining the same
measured volume.

Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts

<tcrsfr$119tf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34729&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34729

From: Mik...@fred.com (MikeS)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 21:42:34 +0100
 by: MikeS - Mon, 8 Aug 2022 20:42 UTC

On 08/08/2022 17:31, pinnerite wrote:
> Is there any way of lowering the advert volume to the average say, of
> the programmes?
>
> I am using MythTV by the way although that shouldn't make any difference.
>
> TIA
>
> Alan

No idea whether adverts are deliberately too loud but many TVs have an
Auto Gain Control which automatically regulates large sound level
differences when turned on.

Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts

<tct7ma$1bhh4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34731&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34731

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 09:59:53 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 08:59 UTC

Do you perhaps have the audio selected for one of the surround sound
options?
I noticed this on some of the Samsung streamed channels, but I could not
figure out how to make it stereo not 5.1 in those channels.
The other thought is that the sound of the programme has the correct
dynamic range, but the adverts are compressed making them sound louder,
since even the quiet bits are loud. This of course is often done
deliberately
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"pinnerite" <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way of lowering the advert volume to the average say, of
> the programmes?
>
> I am using MythTV by the way although that shouldn't make any difference.
>
> TIA
>
> Alan
>
> --
> Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-122-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
> running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of
> DRAM.

Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts

<tct7ql$1bi8u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34732&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34732

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 10:02:12 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 09:02 UTC

Well its not worked has it?

I also notice that hd channels are quieter than SD and radio stations are
mostly louder tan TV channels on freeview.

Brian

--

--:
"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 17:31:54 +0100, pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Is there any way of lowering the advert volume to the average say, of
>>the programmes?
>>
>>I am using MythTV by the way although that shouldn't make any difference.
>>
>>TIA
>>
> I thought it was a breach of broadcasting rules to increase the volume
> for the adverts. I thought Channel 4 was fined for this. I also
> thought the test was changed to a subjective one to prevent
> broadcasters increasing compression while maintaining the same
> measured volume.

Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts

<tct7t7$1bigl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34733&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34733

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 10:03:34 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 09:03 UTC

Those often sound worse than not having it, due to the gain riding effects
you get, a bit like a cheap portable tape machine used to do.
Brian

--

--:
"MikeS" <MikeS@fred.com> wrote in message
> On 08/08/2022 17:31, pinnerite wrote:
>> Is there any way of lowering the advert volume to the average say, of
>> the programmes?
>>
>> I am using MythTV by the way although that shouldn't make any difference.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Alan
>>
> No idea whether adverts are deliberately too loud but many TVs have an
> Auto Gain Control which automatically regulates large sound level
> differences when turned on.

Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts

<jlerspFet6rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34737&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34737

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 11:40:25 +0100
 by: alan_m - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 10:40 UTC

On 09/08/2022 10:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Well its not worked has it?

+1
The audio on adverts on many channels are often way louder than the
audio during the programs. The advertisers also play other audio tricks
in order to get noticed such as common doorbell or phone ring tones
within the adverts. The is one advert that is completely silent and it
works so well I cannot remember what it was for :)

Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts

<tcthkb$1cnqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34738&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34738

From: dav...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 12:49:30 +0100
 by: David Woolley - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 11:49 UTC

On 09/08/2022 10:08, Scott wrote:
> Does quieter usually mean better quality? Radio 3 is quieter than the
> other stations.

There is a maximum volume that the technology can reproduce. Classical
music has a high dynamic range, meaning that the loudness varies greatly
during the piece. If you set a level where the loudest section is not
clipped, the average will be relatively quiet.

So, for classical music, low average volume is necessary to correctly
reproduce the occasional high volume part.

The slight catch is that, with a low average volume, quantisation noise
is greater (or thermal noise, on analogue systems).

Typical pop music has a low dynamic range (everything louder than
everything else) so you can get away with setting the average volume
higher. Talking heads also have a low dynamic range. Setting the
average volume high doesn't lead to clipping, and may marginally reduce
noise.

Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts

<917916e9-23ec-436b-abea-c1b9ca2fd6c3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34743&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34743

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 07:20:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 14:20 UTC

On Monday, 8 August 2022 at 21:08:19 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 17:31:54 +0100, pinnerite <pinn...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Is there any way of lowering the advert volume to the average say, of
> >the programmes?
> >
> >I am using MythTV by the way although that shouldn't make any difference.
> >
> >TIA
> >
> I thought it was a breach of broadcasting rules to increase the volume
> for the adverts. I thought Channel 4 was fined for this. I also
> thought the test was changed to a subjective one to prevent
> broadcasters increasing compression while maintaining the same
> measured volume.

Adverts are allowed to be 3dB louder (that's twice as loud) AIUI.

Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts

<jlfif7FieekU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34744&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34744

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 18:05:42 +0100
 by: williamwright - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 17:05 UTC

On 09/08/2022 10:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Well its not worked has it?
>
> I also notice that hd channels are quieter than SD and radio stations are
> mostly louder tan TV channels on freeview.

Yesterday I was idly flicking through the Freeview radio channels. As it
happens the audio was connected to an oscilloscope. The difference in
levels between channels was very noticeable.

Bill

Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts

<cR0kcDLUgC9iFw57@brattleho.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34755&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34755

From: ianREMOV...@g3ohx.co.uk (Ian Jackson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 22:50:12 +0100
 by: Ian Jackson - Wed, 10 Aug 2022 21:50 UTC

In message <917916e9-23ec-436b-abea-c1b9ca2fd6c3n@googlegroups.com>, R.
Mark Clayton <notyalckram@gmail.com> writes
>On Monday, 8 August 2022 at 21:08:19 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 17:31:54 +0100, pinnerite <pinn...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >Is there any way of lowering the advert volume to the average say, of
>> >the programmes?
>> >
>> >I am using MythTV by the way although that shouldn't make any difference.
>> >
>> >TIA
>> >
>> I thought it was a breach of broadcasting rules to increase the volume
>> for the adverts. I thought Channel 4 was fined for this. I also
>> thought the test was changed to a subjective one to prevent
>> broadcasters increasing compression while maintaining the same
>> measured volume.
>
>Adverts are allowed to be 3dB louder (that's twice as loud) AIUI.

Not sure about that. Twice the power, yes, but an increase (or decrease)
of 3dB is barely noticeable.

Way, way back, Hill Street Blues (Ch4?) always had unbelievably low
audio during the programme, requiring the TV volume control to be set to
maximum. However, the adverts must have been at least 20dB louder,
necessitating a leap up from the settee and a grab for the volume knob.
--
Ian

Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts

<jlj7maF5qukU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34757&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34757

From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (williamwright)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 03:26:17 +0100
 by: williamwright - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 02:26 UTC

On 10/08/2022 22:50, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Way, way back, Hill Street Blues

There's a few newsagents' shops called Hill Street News. There's one in
Bradford called Tong Street News.

Bill

Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts

<td2dal$24f4u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34760&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34760

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 09:06:45 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 08:06 UTC

On 08/08/2022 21:42, MikeS wrote:
> On 08/08/2022 17:31, pinnerite wrote:
>> Is there any way of lowering the advert volume to the average say, of
>> the programmes?
>>
>> I am using MythTV by the way although that shouldn't make any difference.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Alan
>>
> No idea whether adverts are deliberately too loud but many TVs have an
> Auto Gain Control which automatically regulates large sound level
> differences when turned on.

You've reminded me to check this and I found it was set to "off" on my
Panny TV. I've just set it to "on" to see if it helps. I suppose if it's
the same thing as what the Panny PVR manual refers to as "Dynamic range
compression".

I find the sound quality is so poor on many programmes these days that I
resort to subtitles to hear what is being said.

--

Jeff

Re: Faint Audio but loud adverts

<td2n3n$25be0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34779&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34779

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 11:53:39 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 10:53 UTC

On 11/08/2022 09:06, Jeff Layman wrote:

> I find the sound quality is so poor on many programmes these days that I
> resort to subtitles to hear what is being said.

+1, except that I have to put it through a HiFi instead, but even then
sometimes can't distinguish it.

I don't usually have trouble with Scottish accents, having listened to
them all my life, but yesterday I finally got around to watching a
televised Fern Brady gig that I downloaded some weeks ago, after finding
some of her contributions to 'The News Quiz' quite funny, but even
through a HiFi found difficulty in understanding some of the 'jokes' -
I quote that word because even those I did understand didn't seem to be
very funny, - partly her vocal range of loudness being predominantly
quiet with occasional shouts, partly her indistinct diction, partly the
use of modern slang. I watched about half of it, but then lost patience
and deleted it.

I'm finding the need for the HiFi more and more, as the sound of speech
often seems as though the mic is buried beneath multiple layers of clothing.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk