I think the world is run by C students. -- Al McGuire

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

SubjectAuthor
* software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?SH
+* Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?Brian
|`* Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?SH
| `- Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?Brian
+* Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?Theo
|`* Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?SH
| `- Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?Theo
`* Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?Robin
 `* Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?SH
  +- Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?Tony Gamble
  `* Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?Robin
   `* Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?SH
    +* Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?Robin
    |`- Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?SH
    `* Re: software to view SSF files from a CCTV hard disc?Robin
     `* Re: software to view SSF files from a CCTV hard disc?SH
      `- Re: software to view SSF files from a CCTV hard disc?Andy Burns

1
software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<td3807$272ra$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34791&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34791

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 16:41:59 +0100
 by: SH - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 15:41 UTC

I have a CCTV recorder that appeared to have some missing recordings
according to the CCTV management software on some days. I think is is
related to the recent heatwave we had recently.

I pulled the discs out and had a look under Ubuntu.

The actual video recordings are there on the HDD as 4.3 GB files in the
SSF file format.

So I think the issue is with the *.db2 log files that go with each of
the SFF files which was making the front end software "claim" there were
no video recordings of the day in question.

The system has 8 cameras so I am assuming the SSF files is a multiplexed
video file of all 8 video streams.

I have copied an entire day's worth of the (62) SFF files onto another
hard disc (266 GB in total!)

(all the other days show similar daily recorded file sizes and file
quantities so thats how I know there is indeed video files even though
the software says otherwise.

Does anyone know of any video viewers/players that can play SSF video files?

I can run this on either Linux or Windows.

Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<td3fs1$27t17$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34797&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34797

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:56:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OrnGLG1270Pj8sVOiLcz2jFNi/Q=
 by: Brian - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 17:56 UTC

SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
> I have a CCTV recorder that appeared to have some missing recordings
> according to the CCTV management software on some days. I think is is
> related to the recent heatwave we had recently.
>
> I pulled the discs out and had a look under Ubuntu.
>
> The actual video recordings are there on the HDD as 4.3 GB files in the
> SSF file format.
>
> So I think the issue is with the *.db2 log files that go with each of
> the SFF files which was making the front end software "claim" there were
> no video recordings of the day in question.
>
> The system has 8 cameras so I am assuming the SSF files is a multiplexed
> video file of all 8 video streams.
>
> I have copied an entire day's worth of the (62) SFF files onto another
> hard disc (266 GB in total!)
>
> (all the other days show similar daily recorded file sizes and file
> quantities so thats how I know there is indeed video files even though
> the software says otherwise.
>
> Does anyone know of any video viewers/players that can play SSF video files?
>
> I can run this on either Linux or Windows.

A possibility is Structured Fax Format, it was designed to handle raster
files ( faxes) and it is possible they have used it.

I recall seeing it listed in various conversion tools but not recently,
then I haven’t looked.

Assuming you can find a tool, a batch file to run the command and process
all the files in a directory would speed things up.

Demultiplexing the 8 streams may be more interesting.

Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<td3gs6$28094$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34799&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34799

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 19:13:25 +0100
 by: SH - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 18:13 UTC

On 11/08/2022 18:56, Brian wrote:
> SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
>> I have a CCTV recorder that appeared to have some missing recordings
>> according to the CCTV management software on some days. I think is is
>> related to the recent heatwave we had recently.
>>
>> I pulled the discs out and had a look under Ubuntu.
>>
>> The actual video recordings are there on the HDD as 4.3 GB files in the
>> SSF file format.
>>
>> So I think the issue is with the *.db2 log files that go with each of
>> the SFF files which was making the front end software "claim" there were
>> no video recordings of the day in question.
>>
>> The system has 8 cameras so I am assuming the SSF files is a multiplexed
>> video file of all 8 video streams.
>>
>> I have copied an entire day's worth of the (62) SFF files onto another
>> hard disc (266 GB in total!)
>>
>> (all the other days show similar daily recorded file sizes and file
>> quantities so thats how I know there is indeed video files even though
>> the software says otherwise.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any video viewers/players that can play SSF video files?
>>
>> I can run this on either Linux or Windows.
>>

> A possibility is Structured Fax Format, it was designed to handle raster
> files ( faxes) and it is possible they have used it.
>
> I recall seeing it listed in various conversion tools but not recently,
> then I haven’t looked.
>
> Assuming you can find a tool, a batch file to run the command and process
> all the files in a directory would speed things up.
>
> Demultiplexing the 8 streams may be more interesting.

to confirm the file suffis is SSF, not SFF. and the CCTV is full
colour....

Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<td3mid$28i4s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34807&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34807

From: noi...@lid.org (Brian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 19:50:37 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:xa+24pcl1TDrJJsGmYpKiT0mR80=
 by: Brian - Thu, 11 Aug 2022 19:50 UTC

SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
> On 11/08/2022 18:56, Brian wrote:
>> SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
>>> I have a CCTV recorder that appeared to have some missing recordings
>>> according to the CCTV management software on some days. I think is is
>>> related to the recent heatwave we had recently.
>>>
>>> I pulled the discs out and had a look under Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> The actual video recordings are there on the HDD as 4.3 GB files in the
>>> SSF file format.
>>>
>>> So I think the issue is with the *.db2 log files that go with each of
>>> the SFF files which was making the front end software "claim" there were
>>> no video recordings of the day in question.
>>>
>>> The system has 8 cameras so I am assuming the SSF files is a multiplexed
>>> video file of all 8 video streams.
>>>
>>> I have copied an entire day's worth of the (62) SFF files onto another
>>> hard disc (266 GB in total!)
>>>
>>> (all the other days show similar daily recorded file sizes and file
>>> quantities so thats how I know there is indeed video files even though
>>> the software says otherwise.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of any video viewers/players that can play SSF video files?
>>>
>>> I can run this on either Linux or Windows.
>>>

>> A possibility is Structured Fax Format, it was designed to handle raster
>> files ( faxes) and it is possible they have used it.
>>
>> I recall seeing it listed in various conversion tools but not recently,
>> then I haven’t looked.
>>
>> Assuming you can find a tool, a batch file to run the command and process
>> all the files in a directory would speed things up.
>>
>> Demultiplexing the 8 streams may be more interesting.
>>

> to confirm the file suffis is SSF, not SFF. and the CCTV is full
> colour....

SSF is a format used by Trimble among others. ( the navigation people)

You may be able to use Handbrake ( in Linux) or try one of the online
converters. The latter tend to limit file size and/or number but you will
at least find a tool, even if you then need to buy it.

Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<dmu*bSzVy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34852&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34852

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 12 Aug 2022 16:04:39 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 15:04 UTC

In uk.d-i-y SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know of any video viewers/players that can play SSF video files?
>
> I can run this on either Linux or Windows.

Try 'file whatever.ssf' in Linux and see if it reports any clues.

Also try 'strings -n8 whatever.ssf | less' and see if there's any useful
text in there that might be a pointer. (-n8 looks for 8 printable
characters in a row - the default of 4 can produce random garbage if the
file is long)

Theo

Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<td5qvs$2hf25$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34853&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34853

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 16:18:19 +0100
 by: SH - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 15:18 UTC

On 12/08/2022 16:04, Theo wrote:
> In uk.d-i-y SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone know of any video viewers/players that can play SSF video files?
>>
>> I can run this on either Linux or Windows.
>
> Try 'file whatever.ssf' in Linux and see if it reports any clues.
>
> Also try 'strings -n8 whatever.ssf | less' and see if there's any useful
> text in there that might be a pointer. (-n8 looks for 8 printable
> characters in a row - the default of 4 can produce random garbage if the
> file is long)
>
> Theo

it seems to me the CCTV recorder multiplexes the 8 camera streams into
one file.

Given there is typically 60 of these SSF files every day, that suggests
each 4.3 GB SSF file is 24 minutes long.

Given that DTT and Freesat broadcast multiplexes that carry several TV
channels, I happen to have DVB tuners in my computer than can record a
multiplex rather than just one channel. I am aware of open source
software that can demultiplex a recorded multiplex into its individual
channels.

So is it too much to hope that the SSF files could be demultiplexed into
8 files using the same demultiplexing software (the words PVAstrumento
and Handbrake come to mind) as hopefully the CCTV uses standard MPEG
codecs to digitise the analogue video, compress it, and make it into a
playable video file that follws some video standard like MPEG?

Co-incidentally, the DVR can export the stored recoerdings to AVI as
well as to SEC format....

Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<amu*8ZzVy@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34854&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34854

From: theom+n...@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 12 Aug 2022 16:38:24 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 15:38 UTC

In uk.d-i-y SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
> So is it too much to hope that the SSF files could be demultiplexed into
> 8 files using the same demultiplexing software (the words PVAstrumento
> and Handbrake come to mind) as hopefully the CCTV uses standard MPEG
> codecs to digitise the analogue video, compress it, and make it into a
> playable video file that follws some video standard like MPEG?

Maybe. Or maybe not. It might use a standard format, or it might be
entirely proprietary to your model of recorder. It might be encrypted. We
don't have any information to go on, so you're the only one who can
investigate.

There may be clues: for example a file with the string 'JFIF' in it is
probably a JPEG. Looking for strings in the file and googling them is a
good start.

> Co-incidentally, the DVR can export the stored recoerdings to AVI as
> well as to SEC format....

The time and effort it takes to do that might be instructive as to whether
it's merely shuffling data around, or having to transcode. Inspecting the
exported AVIs and SECs may also offer some clues (eg what codec do they
contain?).

On that note:
https://arindamcctvaccesscontrol.blogspot.com/2022/05/nvr-dvr-ip-camera-file-extensions.html
..ssf - Star DVR Systems (?) Eclipse Client DME Resources Download
..ssf - OpenEye Digital Video Security Solutions (Available via OpenEye site)
..ssf - BKplayer DME Resources Download

ring any bells?

Theo

Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<2390671f-1820-14b7-5ed7-893fe9cdf146@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34857&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34857

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:30:03 +0100
 by: Robin - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 16:30 UTC

On 11/08/2022 16:41, SH wrote:
> I have a CCTV recorder that appeared to have some missing recordings
> according to the CCTV management software on some days. I think is is
> related to the recent heatwave we had recently.
>
> I pulled the discs out and had a look under Ubuntu.
>
> The actual video recordings are there on the HDD as 4.3 GB files in the
> SSF file format.
>
> So I think the issue is with the *.db2 log files that go with each of
> the SFF files which was making the front end software "claim" there were
> no video recordings of the day in question.
>
> The system has 8 cameras so I am assuming the SSF files is a multiplexed
> video file of all 8 video streams.
>
> I have copied an entire day's worth of the (62) SFF files onto another
> hard disc (266 GB in total!)
>
> (all the other days show similar daily recorded file sizes and file
> quantities so thats how I know there is indeed video files even though
> the software says otherwise.
>
> Does anyone know of any video viewers/players that can play SSF video
> files?
>
> I can run this on either Linux or Windows.

It might help if you told us the specific CCTV and software you are using.

--
Robin

Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<td61vu$2i63u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34870&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34870

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2022 18:17:49 +0100
 by: SH - Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:17 UTC

On 12/08/2022 17:30, Robin wrote:
> On 11/08/2022 16:41, SH wrote:
>> I have a CCTV recorder that appeared to have some missing recordings
>> according to the CCTV management software on some days. I think is is
>> related to the recent heatwave we had recently.
>>
>> I pulled the discs out and had a look under Ubuntu.
>>
>> The actual video recordings are there on the HDD as 4.3 GB files in
>> the SSF file format.
>>
>> So I think the issue is with the *.db2 log files that go with each of
>> the SFF files which was making the front end software "claim" there
>> were no video recordings of the day in question.
>>
>> The system has 8 cameras so I am assuming the SSF files is a
>> multiplexed video file of all 8 video streams.
>>
>> I have copied an entire day's worth of the (62) SFF files onto another
>> hard disc (266 GB in total!)
>>
>> (all the other days show similar daily recorded file sizes and file
>> quantities so thats how I know there is indeed video files even though
>> the software says otherwise.
>>
>> Does anyone know of any video viewers/players that can play SSF video
>> files?
>>
>> I can run this on either Linux or Windows.
>
> It might help if you told us the specific CCTV and software you are using.

Samsung DVR and the software is Wisenet smartviewer

teh samsung DVRs were also markedted under the Techwin Hanwha brand.

The smartphone app is iPolis.

Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<jlpdnlF59fjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34884&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34884

From: tonygam...@compuserve.com (Tony Gamble)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 11:46:08 +0100
 by: Tony Gamble - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 10:46 UTC

On 12/08/2022 18:17, SH wrote:
> On 12/08/2022 17:30, Robin wrote:
>> On 11/08/2022 16:41, SH wrote:
>>> I have a CCTV recorder that appeared to have some missing recordings
>>> according to the CCTV management software on some days. I think is is
>>> related to the recent heatwave we had recently.
>>>
>>> I pulled the discs out and had a look under Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> The actual video recordings are there on the HDD as 4.3 GB files in
>>> the SSF file format.
>>>
>>> So I think the issue is with the *.db2 log files that go with each of
>>> the SFF files which was making the front end software "claim" there
>>> were no video recordings of the day in question.
>>>
>>> The system has 8 cameras so I am assuming the SSF files is a
>>> multiplexed video file of all 8 video streams.
>>>
>>> I have copied an entire day's worth of the (62) SFF files onto
>>> another hard disc (266 GB in total!)
>>>
>>> (all the other days show similar daily recorded file sizes and file
>>> quantities so thats how I know there is indeed video files even
>>> though the software says otherwise.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of any video viewers/players that can play SSF video
>>> files?
>>>
>>> I can run this on either Linux or Windows.
>>
>> It might help if you told us the specific CCTV and software you are
>> using.
>>

> Samsung DVR and the software is Wisenet smartviewer
>
> teh samsung DVRs were also markedted under the Techwin Hanwha brand.
>
> The smartphone app is iPolis.

I used Handbrake with Win 10 to make ours readable last week. There were
some supporting files but all I did was to sent the obvious movie ones
to Handbrake.

Then Joyoshare video joiner to splice them together.

Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<51dafe9a-31ca-1c4c-c94e-7e4f40630447@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34902&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34902

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 13:52:23 +0100
 by: Robin - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 12:52 UTC

On 12/08/2022 18:17, SH wrote:
> On 12/08/2022 17:30, Robin wrote:
>> On 11/08/2022 16:41, SH wrote:
>>> I have a CCTV recorder that appeared to have some missing recordings
>>> according to the CCTV management software on some days. I think is is
>>> related to the recent heatwave we had recently.
>>>
>>> I pulled the discs out and had a look under Ubuntu.
>>>
>>> The actual video recordings are there on the HDD as 4.3 GB files in
>>> the SSF file format.
>>>
>>> So I think the issue is with the *.db2 log files that go with each of
>>> the SFF files which was making the front end software "claim" there
>>> were no video recordings of the day in question.
>>>
>>> The system has 8 cameras so I am assuming the SSF files is a
>>> multiplexed video file of all 8 video streams.
>>>
>>> I have copied an entire day's worth of the (62) SFF files onto
>>> another hard disc (266 GB in total!)
>>>
>>> (all the other days show similar daily recorded file sizes and file
>>> quantities so thats how I know there is indeed video files even
>>> though the software says otherwise.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of any video viewers/players that can play SSF video
>>> files?
>>>
>>> I can run this on either Linux or Windows.
>>
>> It might help if you told us the specific CCTV and software you are
>> using.
>>

> Samsung DVR and the software is Wisenet smartviewer
>
> teh samsung DVRs were also markedted under the Techwin Hanwha brand.
>
> The smartphone app is iPolis.

And the /precise/ model of the DVR? I ask as some at least use a
proprietary format with recordings locked to the machine (c.f. PVRs
where HD recordings cannot be played back on other machines).

--
Robin

Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<td8qn4$2st2h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34914&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34914

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 19:32:04 +0100
 by: SH - Sat, 13 Aug 2022 18:32 UTC

On 13/08/2022 13:52, Robin wrote:
> On 12/08/2022 18:17, SH wrote:

>>> It might help if you told us the specific CCTV and software you are
>>> using.
>>>

>> Samsung DVR and the software is Wisenet smartviewer
>>
>> teh samsung DVRs were also markedted under the Techwin Hanwha brand.
>>
>> The smartphone app is iPolis.
>
> And the /precise/ model of the DVR?  I ask as some at least use a
> proprietary format with recordings locked to the machine (c.f. PVRs
> where HD recordings cannot be played back on other machines).

SRD-860 DC

Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<c28f12f7-e175-1147-d770-a18b4f568aa4@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34924&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34924

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 08:16:31 +0100
 by: Robin - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 07:16 UTC

On 13/08/2022 19:32, SH wrote:
> On 13/08/2022 13:52, Robin wrote:

>>> Samsung DVR and the software is Wisenet smartviewer
>>>
>>> teh samsung DVRs were also markedted under the Techwin Hanwha brand.
>>>
>>> The smartphone app is iPolis.
>>
>> And the /precise/ model of the DVR?  I ask as some at least use a
>> proprietary format with recordings locked to the machine (c.f. PVRs
>> where HD recordings cannot be played back on other machines).
>>

> SRD-860 DC

2 small points:

a. I can find nothing about that model. Plenty about others in the SRD
series (SRD-850DC, SRD-870DC, etc). But nothing for 860

b. at least of those other models use .SSF files

--
Robin

Re: software to view SSF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<a9edb81c-9b06-c749-9021-a09987187dda@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34927&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34927

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: software to view SSF files from a CCTV hard disc?
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 08:45:05 +0100
 by: Robin - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 07:45 UTC

On 13/08/2022 19:32, SH wrote:
> On 13/08/2022 13:52, Robin wrote:

>>> Samsung DVR and the software is Wisenet smartviewer
>>>
>>> teh samsung DVRs were also markedted under the Techwin Hanwha brand.
>>>
>>> The smartphone app is iPolis.
>>
>> And the /precise/ model of the DVR?  I ask as some at least use a
>> proprietary format with recordings locked to the machine (c.f. PVRs
>> where HD recordings cannot be played back on other machines).

a v v quick look suggests some version BKPlayer *might* do something if
you have .SSF

--
Robin

Re: software to view SFF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<tdbdhi$37s3k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34988&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34988

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 19:05:38 +0100
 by: SH - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 18:05 UTC

On 14/08/2022 08:16, Robin wrote:
> On 13/08/2022 19:32, SH wrote:

>>> And the /precise/ model of the DVR?  I ask as some at least use a
>>> proprietary format with recordings locked to the machine (c.f. PVRs
>>> where HD recordings cannot be played back on other machines).
>>>

>> SRD-860 DC
>
> 2 small points:
>
> a.    I can find nothing about that model.  Plenty about others in the
> SRD series (SRD-850DC, SRD-870DC, etc).  But nothing for 860
>
> b.    at least of those other models use .SSF files

awfully sorry. a mistype, its a SRD 870DC!

Re: software to view SSF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<tdbeus$380hc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=34989&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#34989

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 19:29:47 +0100
 by: SH - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 18:29 UTC

On 14/08/2022 08:45, Robin wrote:
> On 13/08/2022 19:32, SH wrote:

>>> And the /precise/ model of the DVR?  I ask as some at least use a
>>> proprietary format with recordings locked to the machine (c.f. PVRs
>>> where HD recordings cannot be played back on other machines).
>>>

> a v v quick look suggests some version BKPlayer *might* do something if
> you have .SSF

where can I find bkplayer please?

Re: software to view SSF files from a CCTV hard disc?

<jmca2gF8lfoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35102&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#35102

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2022 15:39:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 20 Aug 2022 14:39 UTC

> where can I find bkplayer please?

<https://spreadys.wordpress.com/2012/11/27/ssf-files-with-bkplayer-exe/>

there's a Part2 linked, no idea if the software is still downloadable?