I'm wet! I'm wild!

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Re: Well, that was different.

SubjectAuthor
* Well, that was different.Turby
+* Well, that was different.Alan
|+* Well, that was different.Paul Carmichael
||`- Well, that was different.fluffycat
|`- Well, that was different.sweller
`* Well, that was different.Mark Olson
 `- Well, that was different.Turby

1
Well, that was different.

<sf9qlu$lsu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3117&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3117

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Well, that was different.
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 18:29:33 -0700
 by: Turby - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 01:29 UTC

Today, as usual, started with a trip to the cafe' to drink and chat with
my republican bud. Samo samo. Coming back though, I pulled up at a stop
light. I look over at the local gas station and it's roped off with a
bunch of cops standing around. A woman pulled up next to the guy in
front of me and started talking to him. She said someone had laid a
bomb. They'd found it and caught the perp so we were safe. Well, hours
went by with no news. Images of FBI and Bomb Squad showed up. Now we
hear that robots and x-ray machines are on the way, and they may know
the woman who left the package behind. It might be her grandson's
birthday furry toy.
A lot of people in the community heard "bomb squad" and kinda freaked
out. Understandably.

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Well, that was different.

<ZPidnQqu97o-MIX8nZ2dnUU78XGdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3118&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3118

From: ala...@darkroom.+.com (Alan)
Subject: Re: Well, that was different.
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 01:01:07 -0500
 by: Alan - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 06:01 UTC

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 18:29:33 -0700, Turby wrote:

> Today, as usual, started with a trip to the cafe' to drink and chat with
> my republican bud. Samo samo. Coming back though, I pulled up at a stop
> light. I look over at the local gas station and it's roped off with a
> bunch of cops standing around. A woman pulled up next to the guy in
> front of me and started talking to him. She said someone had laid a
> bomb. They'd found it and caught the perp so we were safe. Well, hours
> went by with no news. Images of FBI and Bomb Squad showed up. Now we
> hear that robots and x-ray machines are on the way, and they may know
> the woman who left the package behind. It might be her grandson's
> birthday furry toy.
> A lot of people in the community heard "bomb squad" and kinda freaked
> out. Understandably.

Here in the UK (well, actually England and N.I., I dont think the IRA et
al bothered with Scotland or Wales, though ICBW), anyone over the age of
40 would be quite aware of such things, as we had our own domestic
terrorists for 30+ years.
Here in central England, in a provincial City, we had a number of bomb
alerts and one actual bombing of an Army Recruiters car. Bigger Cities
had it far worse. Bomb alerts werent every day, but they happened around
the Country quite regularly, most being false alarms, but a lot were
genuine, and lots of innocent people were killed.
The USA has been lucky in having very few domestic terrorist incidents.
I'd presume getting the materials to be an active terrorist would be far
easier in the USA than here in the UK.

Re: Well, that was different.

<sfae42$sg8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3119&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3119

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 07:01:23 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 07:01 UTC

Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
> Today, as usual, started with a trip to the cafe' to drink and chat with
> my republican bud. Samo samo. Coming back though, I pulled up at a stop
> light. I look over at the local gas station and it's roped off with a
> bunch of cops standing around. A woman pulled up next to the guy in
> front of me and started talking to him. She said someone had laid a
> bomb. They'd found it and caught the perp so we were safe. Well, hours
> went by with no news. Images of FBI and Bomb Squad showed up. Now we
> hear that robots and x-ray machines are on the way, and they may know
> the woman who left the package behind. It might be her grandson's
> birthday furry toy.
> A lot of people in the community heard "bomb squad" and kinda freaked
> out. Understandably.
So, is Granny a bomber, or just a bit forgetful?

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Well, that was different.

<pan$4c21$72ff27d1$9e052134$1b687e3e@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3126&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3126

From: wibbleyp...@gmail.com (Paul Carmichael)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 15 Aug 2021 10:56:50 GMT
 by: Paul Carmichael - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 10:56 UTC

El Sun, 15 Aug 2021 01:01:07 -0500, Alan escribió:

> Here in the UK (well, actually England and N.I., I dont think the IRA et
> al bothered with Scotland or Wales, though ICBW), anyone over the age of
> 40 would be quite aware of such things, as we had our own domestic
> terrorists for 30+ years.
> Here in central England, in a provincial City, we had a number of bomb
> alerts and one actual bombing of an Army Recruiters car. Bigger Cities
> had it far worse. Bomb alerts werent every day, but they happened around
> the Country quite regularly, most being false alarms, but a lot were
> genuine, and lots of innocent people were killed.

I caused a bomb scare once. Left my bag of school books at the bus stop.
They didn't blow it up. A bank around the corner did get bombed though
(later than my little incident, if I remember correctly).

My ex wife (before I married her) had just left the Tavern in the Town
when the bomb went off. I don't think she had connections.

--
Paul.

https://paulc.es/elpatio

Re: Well, that was different.

<sfb7l5$7ir$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3132&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3132

From: xsu...@xmail.com (Turby)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2021 07:17:09 -0700
 by: Turby - Sun, 15 Aug 2021 14:17 UTC

On 8/15/2021 12:01 AM, Mark Olson wrote:
> Turby <xsurf@xmail.com> wrote:
>> Today, as usual, started with a trip to the cafe' to drink and chat with
>> my republican bud. Samo samo. Coming back though, I pulled up at a stop
>> light. I look over at the local gas station and it's roped off with a
>> bunch of cops standing around. A woman pulled up next to the guy in
>> front of me and started talking to him. She said someone had laid a
>> bomb. They'd found it and caught the perp so we were safe. Well, hours
>> went by with no news. Images of FBI and Bomb Squad showed up. Now we
>> hear that robots and x-ray machines are on the way, and they may know
>> the woman who left the package behind. It might be her grandson's
>> birthday furry toy.
>> A lot of people in the community heard "bomb squad" and kinda freaked
>> out. Understandably.
>
> So, is Granny a bomber, or just a bit forgetful?

Apparently, a pressure cooker she left behind. I wonder if they tore it
apart to determine the contents.
"Ooh, boss! Let me run the robot for a while, OK? I need the practice!"

--
The erstwhile Thomas
FJR1300, R1200GS, ST1100 (in memoriam)

Re: Well, that was different.

<ioc645Frr8dU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3298&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3298

From: fluffy...@musatelier.eu (fluffycat)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 13:24:53 +0200
 by: fluffycat - Sat, 21 Aug 2021 11:24 UTC

On 15/08/2021 12:56, Paul Carmichael wrote:

> I caused a bomb scare once. Left my bag of school books at the bus stop.
> They didn't blow it up. A bank around the corner did get bombed though
> (later than my little incident, if I remember correctly).
>
> My ex wife (before I married her) had just left the Tavern in the Town
> when the bomb went off. I don't think she had connections.

Where I worked in the 90s the security team took great delight in
exploding any briefcases left lying around "in case they were bombs".
Boss had his blown up twice, phone and laptop an' all. Oh how we laughed.

--
fluffycat

Re: Well, that was different.

<ip6b3nFu14iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3487&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3487

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 31 Aug 2021 09:29:27 GMT
 by: sweller - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 09:29 UTC

Alan wrote:

> > A lot of people in the community heard "bomb squad" and kinda
> > freaked out. Understandably.
>
> Here in the UK (well, actually England and N.I., I dont think the IRA
> et al bothered with Scotland or Wales, though ICBW), anyone over the
> age of 40 would be quite aware of such things, as we had our own
> domestic terrorists for 30+ years.

The railway suffered a few bombings - notably Victoria and Paddington.
The latter left me and 5,000 ton of stone blocking Reading as station
as the whole show had come to a grinding halt due to an explosion at
Padd(1991 IIRC).

--
Simon