A rock store eventually closed down; they were taking too much for granite.

aus+uk / uk.people.silversurfers / Driveway Scam

SubjectAuthor
* Driveway ScamJeff Gaines
+* Re: Driveway ScamIndy Jess John
|`* Re: Driveway ScamHarry Bloomfield Esq
| +- Re: Driveway ScamJeff Gaines
| `- Re: Driveway ScamIndy Jess John
`- Re: Driveway ScamFrogman

1
Driveway Scam

<xn0nf7ni960rzk000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3534&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3534

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Driveway Scam
Date: 10 Mar 2022 19:46:03 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 19:46 UTC

I've had three calls on this today, my TPS request clearly hasn't kicked in.

The caller says "I understand you still have a driveway at the property"
and then goes on to try and sell a resin drive. The first couple of times
I just put the 'phone down. The third time I said "no, it's been stolen,
do you want the police crime number?" The caller said "oh,OK" and rang off.

They must have a really weird script.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks

Re: Driveway Scam

<t0e0m6$s16$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3535&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3535

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Driveway Scam
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 23:13:10 +0000
 by: Indy Jess John - Thu, 10 Mar 2022 23:13 UTC

On 10/03/2022 19:46, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I've had three calls on this today, my TPS request clearly hasn't kicked in.
>
> The caller says "I understand you still have a driveway at the property"
> and then goes on to try and sell a resin drive. The first couple of times
> I just put the 'phone down. The third time I said "no, it's been stolen,
> do you want the police crime number?" The caller said "oh,OK" and rang off.
>
> They must have a really weird script.

I liked your response. :-)

It really floors some callers if you depart far enough from their
script. I had a caller last year who started by saying that he was
ringing about my computer. I interrupted him with "Do you have a
specification you want to buy? I have about a dozen in the shop you can
choose from and I will try to match what you want as near as I can".

To give him his due, he tried again. "I mean the computer that has been
detected sending out spam e-mails" to which I replied "They are sill in
their boxes waiting to be sold, so how is that possible?" Then he hung
up. ;-)

Jim

Re: Driveway Scam

<t0f8dc$890$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3536&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3536

From: a...@harrym1byt.plus.com (Harry Bloomfield Esq)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 10:31:07 GMT
 by: Harry Bloomfield Esq - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 10:31 UTC

Indy Jess John submitted this idea :
> It really floors some callers if you depart far enough from their script. I
> had a caller last year who started by saying that he was ringing about my
> computer. I interrupted him with "Do you have a specification you want to
> buy? I have about a dozen in the shop you can choose from and I will try to
> match what you want as near as I can".

The one where they 'understand you have been involved in an accident',
I just tell them I died as a result of the accident.

Re: Driveway Scam

<xn0nf8ool138bnj003@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3539&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3539

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 11 Mar 2022 11:15:43 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 11:15 UTC

On 11/03/2022 in message <t0f8dc$890$1@dont-email.me> Harry Bloomfield Esq
wrote:

>Indy Jess John submitted this idea :
>>It really floors some callers if you depart far enough from their script.
>>I had a caller last year who started by saying that he was ringing about
>>my computer. I interrupted him with "Do you have a specification you want
>>to buy? I have about a dozen in the shop you can choose from and I will
>>try to match what you want as near as I can".
>
>The one where they 'understand you have been involved in an accident', I
>just tell them I died as a result of the accident.

That ties in with reports in the press of people saying they have been
strangled or electrocuted,spooky :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

Re: Driveway Scam

<1u5zzfdpmms9n$.15eu4giu5m31j$.dlg@40tude.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3541&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3541

From: uk_frog...@bigfoot.com (Frogman)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:08:12 +0000
Sender: Frogman <>
 by: Frogman - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 12:08 UTC

On 10 Mar 2022 19:46:03 GMT, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I've had three calls on this today, my TPS request clearly hasn't kicked in.

Jeff,
Report them to the Information Commisioners Office, they do take action.
https://ico.org.uk/
More specifically,
https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/nuisance-calls-and-messages/spam-texts-and-nuisance-calls/
--
Regards, Frogman.
You tried and you failed, so the lesson is, never to try.

Re: Driveway Scam

<t0ftes$o0m$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3543&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3543

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 16:30:20 +0000
 by: Indy Jess John - Fri, 11 Mar 2022 16:30 UTC

On 11/03/2022 10:31, Harry Bloomfield Esq wrote:
> Indy Jess John submitted this idea :
>> It really floors some callers if you depart far enough from their script. I
>> had a caller last year who started by saying that he was ringing about my
>> computer. I interrupted him with "Do you have a specification you want to
>> buy? I have about a dozen in the shop you can choose from and I will try to
>> match what you want as near as I can".
>
> The one where they 'understand you have been involved in an accident',
> I just tell them I died as a result of the accident.

I asked them how they knew I had recently shut my finger in my car door.

A similar idea - make them look stupid.

Jim