To be wise, the only thing you really need to know is when to say "I don't know."

aus+uk / aus.computers / OS/2 still ain't dead

SubjectAuthor
* OS/2 still ain't deadkeithr0
+* Re: OS/2 still ain't deadGrumpy Tech
|+* Re: OS/2 still ain't deadYosemite Sam
||`* Re: OS/2 still ain't deadPetzl
|| `* Re: OS/2 still ain't deadRod Speed
||  +* Re: OS/2 still ain't deadGrumpy Tech
||  |`- Re: OS/2 still ain't deadRod Speed
||  `* Re: OS/2 still ain't deadkeithr0
||   `- Re: OS/2 still ain't deadRod Speed
|`- Re: OS/2 still ain't deadkeithr0
`* Re: OS/2 still ain't deadTrevor Wilson
 `* Re: OS/2 still ain't deadGary R. Schmidt
  +* Re: OS/2 still ain't deadRod Speed
  |+* Re: OS/2 still ain't deadRod Speed
  ||+* Re: OS/2 still ain't deadkeithr0
  |||`* Re: OS/2 still ain't deadRod Speed
  ||| `- Re: OS/2 still ain't deadkeithr0
  ||`* Re: OS/2 still ain't deadYosemite Sam
  || `- Re: OS/2 still ain't deadRod Speed
  |`- Re: OS/2 still ain't deadYosemite Sam
  `- Re: OS/2 still ain't deadkeithr0

1
OS/2 still ain't dead

<k36s77Fjq02U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3544&group=aus.computers#3544

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: OS/2 still ain't dead
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 17:44:36 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 07:44 UTC

https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/19/retro_tech_week_arca_os/

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<tqlgol$3hs3r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3545&group=aus.computers#3545

From: grumpyte...@gmail.com (Grumpy Tech)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Subject: Re: OS/2 still ain't dead
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2023 18:33:24 +1000
 by: Grumpy Tech - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 08:33 UTC

On 23/01/2023 5:44 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/19/retro_tech_week_arca_os/
In it's day it was a brilliant operating system that had extremely good
uptime unlike Windows at the time.

I used it to run radio station automation software which ran 24/7 and it
was rare for it to fall over.
I also ran my BBS on it which was a challenge as unlike modern Os
systems it was not quite plug and play so you had to be sure there were
no interrupt conflicts and cards had their own addresses.

Once it was set up though it just worked.

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<k382phFpg8rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3547&group=aus.computers#3547

From: fel...@goaway.now (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 05:42:56 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 18:42 UTC

On 23/01/2023 7:33 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 23/01/2023 5:44 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/19/retro_tech_week_arca_os/
> In it's day it was a brilliant operating system that had extremely
> good uptime unlike Windows at the time.
>
> I used it to run radio station automation software which ran 24/7 and
> it was rare for it to fall over.
> I also ran my BBS on it which was a challenge as unlike modern Os
> systems it was not quite plug and play so you had to be sure there
> were no interrupt conflicts and cards had their own addresses.
>
> Once it was set up though it just worked.

stability was it's forte. apps ran in their own memory space, so an app
crash didn't crash it.

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<k38ah9FqpmjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3548&group=aus.computers#3548

From: tre...@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 07:55:04 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 20:55 UTC

On 23/01/2023 6:44 pm, keithr0 wrote:
> https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/19/retro_tech_week_arca_os/

**I loved using OS/2. It was SO much better than Windows. However, in
their infinite wisdom, IBM failed to support my printer. Silly me.
That'll teach me for buying such an obscure printer.

HP Laserjet III

Obscure? Not a chance.

Still, it was a great operating system, with not enough support for VERY
popular peripherals.

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<nmttsh58u477i2ksode40otavq1orltcsg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3550&group=aus.computers#3550

From: pet...@gmail.com (Petzl)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 08:12:22 +1100
 by: Petzl - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 21:12 UTC

On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 05:42:56 +1100, Yosemite Sam <felix@goaway.now>
wrote:

>On 23/01/2023 7:33 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
>> On 23/01/2023 5:44 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>> https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/19/retro_tech_week_arca_os/
>> In it's day it was a brilliant operating system that had extremely
>> good uptime unlike Windows at the time.
>>
>> I used it to run radio station automation software which ran 24/7 and
>> it was rare for it to fall over.
>> I also ran my BBS on it which was a challenge as unlike modern Os
>> systems it was not quite plug and play so you had to be sure there
>> were no interrupt conflicts and cards had their own addresses.
>>
>> Once it was set up though it just worked.
>
>stability was it's forte. apps ran in their own memory space, so an app
>crash didn't crash it.

Seemed get the thumbs up gaining popularity, then mystically dumped?
The above link is a good article, but will it survive going forward.
Many interest will not want it to as before.
https://tinyurl.com/2pqezc4j tiny link to above article
--
Petzl
Good lawyers know the law

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<op.1y8xzdt7byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3552&group=aus.computers#3552

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 09:55:51 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Mon, 23 Jan 2023 22:55 UTC

On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 08:12:22 +1100, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 05:42:56 +1100, Yosemite Sam <felix@goaway.now>
> wrote:

>>> In it's day it was a brilliant operating system that had extremely
>>> good uptime unlike Windows at the time.
>>>
>>> I used it to run radio station automation software which ran 24/7 and
>>> it was rare for it to fall over.
>>> I also ran my BBS on it which was a challenge as unlike modern Os
>>> systems it was not quite plug and play so you had to be sure there
>>> were no interrupt conflicts and cards had their own addresses.
>>>
>>> Once it was set up though it just worked.
>>
>> stability was it's forte. apps ran in their own memory space, so an app
>> crash didn't crash it.
>>
> Seemed get the thumbs up gaining popularity, then mystically dumped?

Nope, most eventually worked out the downsides with it.

Only really viable for controller type situations where the reliability
was important.

But even then never got used for ATMs, checkouts and self checkouts.

> The above link is a good article, but will it survive going forward.

No chance.

> Many interest will not want it to as before.
> https://tinyurl.com/2pqezc4j tiny link to above article

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<tqn9er$3rbp7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3555&group=aus.computers#3555

From: grumpyte...@gmail.com (Grumpy Tech)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 10:40:58 +1000
 by: Grumpy Tech - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 00:40 UTC

On 24/01/2023 8:55 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 08:12:22 +1100, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 05:42:56 +1100, Yosemite Sam <felix@goaway.now>
>> wrote:

>>> stability was it's forte. apps ran in their own memory space, so an app
>>> crash didn't crash it.
>>>
>> Seemed get the thumbs up gaining popularity, then mystically dumped?
>
> Nope, most eventually worked out the downsides with it.
>
> Only really viable for controller type situations where the reliability
> was important.
>
> But even then never got used for ATMs, checkouts and self checkouts.

Really??? You obviously don't know your arse from your elbow...

https://tinyurl.com/fndmxhn6

It was most definitely used for ATM's, Switchboards, and all sorts of
other things.

>> The above link is a good article, but will it survive going forward.
>
> No chance.
>
>> Many interest will not want it to as before.
>> https://tinyurl.com/2pqezc4j   tiny link to above article

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<op.1y88ipeubyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3557&group=aus.computers#3557

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 13:43:27 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 02:43 UTC

On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 11:40:58 +1100, Grumpy Tech <grumpytech07@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 24/01/2023 8:55 am, Rod Speed wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 08:12:22 +1100, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Seemed get the thumbs up gaining popularity, then mystically dumped?
>> Nope, most eventually worked out the downsides with it.
>> Only really viable for controller type situations where the
>> reliability was important.
>> But even then never got used for ATMs, checkouts and self checkouts.
>
> Really??? You obviously don't know your arse from your elbow...

We'll see...

> https://tinyurl.com/fndmxhn6
>
> It was most definitely used for ATM's,

I should have said isnt still being used for ATMs, checkouts and self
checkouts.

> Switchboards, and all sorts of other things.
>>
>>> The above link is a good article, but will it survive going forward.
>> No chance.
>>
>>> Many interest will not want it to as before.
>>> https://tinyurl.com/2pqezc4j tiny link to above article

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<8154aj-9vk.ln1@paranoia.mcleod-schmidt.id.au>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3558&group=aus.computers#3558

From: grschm...@acm.org (Gary R. Schmidt)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:56:41 +1100
 by: Gary R. Schmidt - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 04:56 UTC

On 24/01/2023 07:55, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 23/01/2023 6:44 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/19/retro_tech_week_arca_os/
>
> **I loved using OS/2. It was SO much better than Windows. However, in
> their infinite wisdom, IBM failed to support my printer. Silly me.
> That'll teach me for buying such an obscure printer.
>
> HP Laserjet III
>
> Obscure? Not a chance.
>
> Still, it was a great operating system, with not enough support for VERY
> popular peripherals.

OS/2 was killed by Microsoft pulling out, after they had convinced Dave
Cutler - who designed VMS - that he would be allowed to design an
Operating System completely according to his religious beliefs, without
any pandering to that silly UNIX(TM) thing, and thus was begat NT.

All the negatives of VMS, with few of the positives. Be grateful he
wasn't allowed to implement an FMS/RMS-like file-system. :-)

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<op.1y9gqyi9byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3559&group=aus.computers#3559

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:41:12 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 05:41 UTC

On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:56:41 +1100, Gary R. Schmidt <grschmidt@acm.org>
wrote:

> On 24/01/2023 07:55, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 23/01/2023 6:44 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>> https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/19/retro_tech_week_arca_os/
>> **I loved using OS/2. It was SO much better than Windows. However, in
>> their infinite wisdom, IBM failed to support my printer. Silly me.
>> That'll teach me for buying such an obscure printer.
>> HP Laserjet III
>> Obscure? Not a chance.
>> Still, it was a great operating system, with not enough support for
>> VERY popular peripherals.

> OS/2 was killed by Microsoft pulling out,

Nope, IBM kept going with it and it was killed by the
fact that you needed a whole new suite of app software
for it to ever take off as a viable desktop OS,

> after they had convinced Dave Cutler - who designed VMS - that he would
> be allowed to design an Operating System completely according to his
> religious beliefs, without any pandering to that silly UNIX(TM) thing,
> and thus was begat NT.

> All the negatives of VMS, with few of the positives. Be grateful he
> wasn't allowed to implement an FMS/RMS-like file-system. :-)

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<op.1y9gx5m4byq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3560&group=aus.computers#3560

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:45:31 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 05:45 UTC

On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:41:12 +1100, Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:56:41 +1100, Gary R. Schmidt <grschmidt@acm.org>
> wrote:

>>> **I loved using OS/2. It was SO much better than Windows. However, in
>>> their infinite wisdom, IBM failed to support my printer. Silly me.
>>> That'll teach me for buying such an obscure printer.
>>> HP Laserjet III
>>> Obscure? Not a chance.
>>> Still, it was a great operating system, with not enough support for
>>> VERY popular peripherals.
>
>> OS/2 was killed by Microsoft pulling out,
>
> Nope, IBM kept going with it and it was killed by the
> fact that you needed a whole new suite of app software
> for it to ever take off as a viable desktop OS,

And by the fact that hardly anyone except IBM was ever actually
silly enough to ship it with the PCs they were flogging.

>> after they had convinced Dave Cutler - who designed VMS - that he would
>> be allowed to design an Operating System completely according to his
>> religious beliefs, without any pandering to that silly UNIX(TM) thing,
>> and thus was begat NT.
>
>> All the negatives of VMS, with few of the positives. Be grateful he
>> wasn't allowed to implement an FMS/RMS-like file-system. :-)

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<k39c8sF175bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3561&group=aus.computers#3561

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:30:50 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 06:30 UTC

On 24/01/2023 8:55 am, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 08:12:22 +1100, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 05:42:56 +1100, Yosemite Sam <felix@goaway.now>
>> wrote:

>>> stability was it's forte. apps ran in their own memory space, so an app
>>> crash didn't crash it.
>>>
>> Seemed get the thumbs up gaining popularity, then mystically dumped?
>
> Nope, most eventually worked out the downsides with it.
>
> Only really viable for controller type situations where the reliability
> was important.
>
> But even then never got used for ATMs, checkouts and self checkouts.

Fujitsu ATMs used it as a multiprocessing version of DOS (a far better
solution than Concurrent DOS).

>> The above link is a good article, but will it survive going forward.
>
> No chance.
>
>> Many interest will not want it to as before.
>> https://tinyurl.com/2pqezc4j   tiny link to above article

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<k39ch9F175bU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3562&group=aus.computers#3562

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:35:19 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 06:35 UTC

On 24/01/2023 3:45 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:41:12 +1100, Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:56:41 +1100, Gary R. Schmidt
>> <grschmidt@acm.org> wrote:

>>> OS/2 was killed by Microsoft pulling out,
>>
>> Nope, IBM kept going with it and it was killed by the
>> fact that you needed a whole new suite of app software
>> for it to ever take off as a viable desktop OS,
>
> And by the fact that hardly anyone except IBM was ever actually
> silly enough to ship it with the PCs they were flogging.

IBM were still using it in their own products into the late 90s at
least. Their ridiculous automated tape library (it had a Fanuc
industrial robot on rails) used a PS2 running OS/2 as the controller.

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<k39cnnF175bU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3563&group=aus.computers#3563

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:38:45 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 06:38 UTC

On 24/01/2023 2:56 pm, Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
> On 24/01/2023 07:55, Trevor Wilson wrote:
>> On 23/01/2023 6:44 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>>> https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/19/retro_tech_week_arca_os/
>>
>> **I loved using OS/2. It was SO much better than Windows. However, in
>> their infinite wisdom, IBM failed to support my printer. Silly me.
>> That'll teach me for buying such an obscure printer.
>>
>> HP Laserjet III
>>
>> Obscure? Not a chance.
>>
>> Still, it was a great operating system, with not enough support for
>> VERY popular peripherals.
>>
> OS/2 was killed by Microsoft pulling out, after they had convinced Dave
> Cutler - who designed VMS - that he would be allowed to design an
> Operating System completely according to his religious beliefs, without
> any pandering to that silly UNIX(TM) thing, and thus was begat NT.
>
> All the negatives of VMS, with few of the positives.  Be grateful he
> wasn't allowed to implement an FMS/RMS-like file-system.  :-)

It was killed by IBM's inability to convince developers that it was
worthwhile building apps for it. IBM never really understood the PC
market even though they started it, they only looked upon it as an
adjunct to their mainframe business.

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<k39d35F175bU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3564&group=aus.computers#3564

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:44:51 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 06:44 UTC

On 23/01/2023 6:33 pm, Grumpy Tech wrote:
> On 23/01/2023 5:44 pm, keithr0 wrote:
>> https://www.theregister.com/2023/01/19/retro_tech_week_arca_os/
> In it's day it was a brilliant operating system that had extremely good
> uptime unlike Windows at the time.
>
> I used it to run radio station automation software which ran 24/7 and it
> was rare for it to fall over.
> I also ran my BBS on it which was a challenge as unlike modern Os
> systems it was not quite plug and play so you had to be sure there were
> no interrupt conflicts and cards had their own addresses.
>
> Once it was set up though it just worked.

At Westpac, I bought a bunch of copies of Warp when Harvey Norman were
selling then off for less than $10 a copy. Put it on all our PCs with
Windows running in the foreground and Rexx scripts running in the
background fetching error information from the mainframe systems. The
users were happy with windows never knowing what was going on behind the
scenes.

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<op.1y9p9hoabyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3565&group=aus.computers#3565

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 20:06:43 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 09:06 UTC

On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 17:30:50 +1100, keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:

> On 24/01/2023 8:55 am, Rod Speed wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 08:12:22 +1100, Petzl <petzlx@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Seemed get the thumbs up gaining popularity, then mystically dumped?
>> Nope, most eventually worked out the downsides with it.
>> Only really viable for controller type situations where the
>> reliability was important.

>> But even then never got used for ATMs, checkouts and self checkouts.

> Fujitsu ATMs used it as a multiprocessing version of DOS (a far better
> solution than Concurrent DOS).

Yeah, I meant to say that no one does now. I really should proof read
posts like this but am too lazy to do that.

>>> The above link is a good article, but will it survive going forward.
>> No chance.
>>
>>> Many interest will not want it to as before.
>>> https://tinyurl.com/2pqezc4j tiny link to above article

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<op.1y9qb5blbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3566&group=aus.computers#3566

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 20:08:19 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 09:08 UTC

On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 17:35:19 +1100, keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:

> On 24/01/2023 3:45 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:41:12 +1100, Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Nope, IBM kept going with it and it was killed by the
>>> fact that you needed a whole new suite of app software
>>> for it to ever take off as a viable desktop OS,

>> And by the fact that hardly anyone except IBM was ever actually
>> silly enough to ship it with the PCs they were flogging.

> IBM were still using it in their own products into the late 90s at least.

But aren't actually stupid enought to still be doing that anymore.

> Their ridiculous automated tape library (it had a Fanuc industrial robot
> on rails) used a PS2 running OS/2 as the controller.

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<k39q3nF38qaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3567&group=aus.computers#3567

From: fel...@goaway.now (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 21:27:00 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 10:27 UTC

Rod Speed wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:41:12 +1100, Rod Speed
> <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:56:41 +1100, Gary R. Schmidt
>> <grschmidt@acm.org> wrote:

>>> OS/2 was killed by Microsoft pulling out,
>>
>> Nope, IBM kept going with it and it was killed by the
>> fact that you needed a whole new suite of app software
>> for it to ever take off as a viable desktop OS,
>
> And by the fact that hardly anyone except IBM was ever actually
> silly enough to ship it with the PCs they were flogging.

not according to this article Grumpy Tech supplied ..
https://tinyurl.com/fndmxhn6 .. which states it was very compatible with
existing apps, which was one of the reasons for it's downfall

>>> after they had convinced Dave Cutler - who designed VMS - that he
>>> would be allowed to design an Operating System completely according
>>> to his religious beliefs, without any pandering to that silly
>>> UNIX(TM) thing, and thus was begat NT.
>>
>>> All the negatives of VMS, with few of the positives.  Be grateful he
>>> wasn't allowed to implement an FMS/RMS-like file-system.  :-)

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<k39qdqF38qaU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3568&group=aus.computers#3568

From: fel...@goaway.now (Yosemite Sam)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 21:32:23 +1100
 by: Yosemite Sam - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 10:32 UTC

Rod Speed wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 15:56:41 +1100, Gary R. Schmidt
> <grschmidt@acm.org> wrote:

>>>  **I loved using OS/2. It was SO much better than Windows. However,
>>> in their infinite wisdom, IBM failed to support my printer. Silly
>>> me. That'll teach me for buying such an obscure printer.
>>>  HP Laserjet III
>>>  Obscure? Not a chance.
>>>  Still, it was a great operating system, with not enough support for
>>> VERY popular peripherals.
>
>> OS/2 was killed by Microsoft pulling out,
>
> Nope, IBM kept going with it and it was killed by the
> fact that you needed a whole new suite of app software
> for it to ever take off as a viable desktop OS,

not according to this article Grumpy Tech supplied ..
https://tinyurl.com/fndmxhn6 .. which states it was very compatible with
existing apps, which was one of the reasons for it's downfall

>> after they had convinced Dave Cutler - who designed VMS - that he
>> would be allowed to design an Operating System completely according
>> to his religious beliefs, without any pandering to that silly
>> UNIX(TM) thing, and thus was begat NT.
>
>> All the negatives of VMS, with few of the positives.  Be grateful he
>> wasn't allowed to implement an FMS/RMS-like file-system.  :-)

--
https://tinyurl.com/Yosemite-Sam

FUCK PUTIN!!

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<op.1zadancxbyq249@pvr2.lan>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3569&group=aus.computers#3569

From: rod.spee...@gmail.com (Rod Speed)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 04:24:13 +1100
 by: Rod Speed - Tue, 24 Jan 2023 17:24 UTC

On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 21:27:00 +1100, Yosemite Sam <felix@goaway.now> wrote:

> Rod Speed wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:41:12 +1100, Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Nope, IBM kept going with it and it was killed by the
>>> fact that you needed a whole new suite of app software
>>> for it to ever take off as a viable desktop OS,
>>
>> And by the fact that hardly anyone except IBM was ever actually
>> silly enough to ship it with the PCs they were flogging.

> not according to this article Grumpy Tech supplied ..
> https://tinyurl.com/fndmxhn6 .. which states it was very compatible with
> existing apps, which was one of the reasons for it's downfall

That has nothing to do with what was shipped with a new
PC by other than IBM. And that compatible claim is just
plain wrong and only applys to those changing to OS2
on their existing PCs anyway, which hardly anyone does.

Re: OS/2 still ain't dead

<k3c296Fdop6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3570&group=aus.computers#3570

From: use...@account.invalid (keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.computers
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 16:58:43 +1000
 by: keithr0 - Wed, 25 Jan 2023 06:58 UTC

On 24/01/2023 7:08 pm, Rod Speed wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jan 2023 17:35:19 +1100, keithr0 <user@account.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 24/01/2023 3:45 pm, Rod Speed wrote:

>>>  And by the fact that hardly anyone except IBM was ever actually
>>> silly enough to ship it with the PCs they were flogging.
>
>> IBM were still using it in their own products into the late 90s at least.
>
> But aren't actually stupid enought to still be doing that anymore.
>
>> Their ridiculous automated tape library (it had a Fanuc industrial
>> robot on rails) used a PS2 running OS/2 as the controller.

you're sure of that?