Everything you know is wrong!

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?

SubjectAuthor
* Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?Jeff Gaines
+* Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?Andy Burns
|`- Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?Jeff Gaines
+* Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?Jaimie Vandenbergh
|+* Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?David
||+- Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?Jaimie Vandenbergh
||`- Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?Vir Campestris
|`- Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?Gordon
+- Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?Abandoned_Trolley
+- Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?IanJ
`* Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?Adrian Caspersz
 `- Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?Jeff Gaines

1
Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?

<xn0o2gefoasmevi00k@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3562&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3562

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?
Date: 30 May 2023 08:56:41 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 30 May 2023 08:56 UTC

I subscribe to a Facebook group for Windows Help & Support since there's
not much left for Windows on Usenet.

Somebody found when opening Edge that is was off the left of the screen
with only half an inch showing and didn't know what to do.

I suggested pulling the right edge of the window so she could see the menu
bar. Wow, that worked, effusive thanks given.

Her details say she studied computer science...

PS I also added the Alt + Escape trick to open she system menu although
that leaves you working blind.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is

Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?

<kdlusmF8gagU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3563&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3563

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 10:44:55 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 30 May 2023 09:44 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I also added the Alt + Escape trick to open she system menu

You mean alt + space ?

Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?

<kdlve4F8le6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3564&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3564

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 30 May 2023 09:54:12 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 30 May 2023 09:54 UTC

On 30 May 2023 at 09:56:41 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

> Her details say she studied computer science...

When hiring recent graduates into dev/ops/sec roles, I'm always far more
wary of CS grads than any other course. CS courses appear to be very
academic and don't give any practical skills with computing at all,
which is fair, but the grads *think* they know everything and refuse to
be taught. In general.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
If you mean 'am I serious about what I do', the answer is yes.
If you mean 'am I serious about how I do it', the answer is no.

Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?

<u54k4q$1v79n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3565&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3565

From: fre...@fredsmith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 11:45:45 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Tue, 30 May 2023 10:45 UTC

On 30/05/2023 09:56, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I subscribe to a Facebook group for Windows Help & Support since there's
> not much left for Windows on Usenet.
>
> Somebody found when opening Edge that is was off the left of the screen
> with only half an inch showing and didn't know what to do.
>
> I suggested pulling the right edge of the window so she could see the
> menu bar. Wow, that worked, effusive thanks given.
>
> Her details say she studied computer science...
>
> PSĀ  I also added the Alt + Escape trick to open she system menu although
> that leaves you working blind.

Some time ago I bought a Yamaha stage piano from a girl in London who
"didn't need it any more as she had finished her music degree"

Before we packed it up in the box she played it for a (mercifully) brief
period, just to prove the point :-\

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?

<u54lsk$1vfr4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3566&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3566

From: SPAMian_...@yahoo.co.uk (IanJ)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 11:15:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: IanJ - Tue, 30 May 2023 11:15 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:
> Her details say she studied computer science...

In answer to your subject, I guess she would be one of the qualified
ones! :o

Best regards,

Ian

Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?

<xn0o2gi6aaxlpf800l@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3567&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3567

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 30 May 2023 11:16:06 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 30 May 2023 11:16 UTC

On 30/05/2023 in message <kdlusmF8gagU1@mid.individual.net> Andy Burns
wrote:

>Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>>I also added the Alt + Escape trick to open she system menu
>
>You mean alt + space ?

Whoops, yes, I got it right on FB, just checked :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
George Washington was a British subject until well after his 40th birthday.

Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?

<kdp32pFm6l8U8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3568&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3568

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 31 May 2023 14:14:49 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 31 May 2023 14:14 UTC

On Tue, 30 May 2023 09:54:12 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

> On 30 May 2023 at 09:56:41 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Her details say she studied computer science...
>
> When hiring recent graduates into dev/ops/sec roles, I'm always far more
> wary of CS grads than any other course. CS courses appear to be very
> academic and don't give any practical skills with computing at all,
> which is fair, but the grads *think* they know everything and refuse to
> be taught. In general.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Nothing changes.

In the 1970s CS graduates were a nightmare if brought into commercial
programming.
Better to bring in someone with no experience instead of having to re-
educate someone who has spent their whole degree writing smaller and
smaller blocks of re-entrant code to use the minimum memory on whatever
abstract device their lecturer was fond of.

Bitter?
Moi?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?

<kdp7dbFo0srU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3569&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3569

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 31 May 2023 15:28:44 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Wed, 31 May 2023 15:28 UTC

On 31 May 2023 at 15:14:49 BST, "David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 May 2023 09:54:12 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>
>> On 30 May 2023 at 09:56:41 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Her details say she studied computer science...
>>
>> When hiring recent graduates into dev/ops/sec roles, I'm always far more
>> wary of CS grads than any other course. CS courses appear to be very
>> academic and don't give any practical skills with computing at all,
>> which is fair, but the grads *think* they know everything and refuse to
>> be taught. In general.
>>
>> Cheers - Jaimie
>
> Nothing changes.
>
> In the 1970s CS graduates were a nightmare if brought into commercial
> programming.
> Better to bring in someone with no experience instead of having to re-
> educate someone who has spent their whole degree writing smaller and
> smaller blocks of re-entrant code to use the minimum memory on whatever
> abstract device their lecturer was fond of.
>
> Bitter?
> Moi?

Yes, that sounds *very* familiar!

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I am always a bit unhappy when I spot a bit of text that
made perfect sense in my brain but on passing through

Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?

<kdqi4bFueugU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3570&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3570

From: Gor...@leaf.net.nz (Gordon)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 1 Jun 2023 03:37:47 GMT
 by: Gordon - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 03:37 UTC

On 2023-05-30, Jaimie Vandenbergh <jaimie@usually.sessile.org> wrote:
> On 30 May 2023 at 09:56:41 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Her details say she studied computer science...
>
> When hiring recent graduates into dev/ops/sec roles, I'm always far more
> wary of CS grads than any other course. CS courses appear to be very
> academic and don't give any practical skills with computing at all,
> which is fair, but the grads *think* they know everything and refuse to
> be taught. In general.

As Mark Twain once said. When I was 20 my old man knew nothing, but over
the next 20 years he learn't a great deal.

Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?

<kdrg6mF3ubsU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3571&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3571

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 13:11:02 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 12:11 UTC

On 30/05/2023 09:56, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I subscribe to a Facebook group for Windows Help & Support since there's
> not much left for Windows on Usenet.
>
> Somebody found when opening Edge that is was off the left of the screen
> with only half an inch showing and didn't know what to do.
>
> I suggested pulling the right edge of the window so she could see the
> menu bar. Wow, that worked, effusive thanks given.
>
> Her details say she studied computer science...

Here ya go...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Computer_Driving_Licence

--
Adrian C

Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?

<xn0o2kt1oatdi7001@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3572&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3572

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 1 Jun 2023 13:16:26 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 13:16 UTC

On 01/06/2023 in message <kdrg6mF3ubsU1@mid.individual.net> Adrian
Caspersz wrote:

>On 30/05/2023 09:56, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>>I subscribe to a Facebook group for Windows Help & Support since there's
>>not much left for Windows on Usenet.
>>
>>Somebody found when opening Edge that is was off the left of the screen
>>with only half an inch showing and didn't know what to do.
>>
>>I suggested pulling the right edge of the window so she could see the
>>menu bar. Wow, that worked, effusive thanks given.
>>
>>Her details say she studied computer science...
>>

>Here ya go...
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Computer_Driving_Licence

Oh wow, I thought that was a joke at first :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The facts, although interesting, are irrelevant

Re: Should People Need a Licence to buy a Computer?

<u5ipsq$1vik$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3581&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3581

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 20:49:45 +0100
 by: Vir Campestris - Sun, 4 Jun 2023 19:49 UTC

On 31/05/2023 15:14, David wrote:
> Nothing changes.
>
> In the 1970s CS graduates were a nightmare if brought into commercial
> programming.
> Better to bring in someone with no experience instead of having to re-
> educate someone who has spent their whole degree writing smaller and
> smaller blocks of re-entrant code to use the minimum memory on whatever
> abstract device their lecturer was fond of.
>
> Bitter?
> Moi?

At the end of the 70s I started my career in software. I was a typical
graduate recruit - I'd messed up my degree by playing with the computer
too much ;)

Andy