From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Upgrading WIn 7 on 2.5" SSD to W10 on M.2 SSD
Date: 5 Jun 2023 13:10:15 GMT
 by: David - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 13:10 UTC

The time has, I think, finally come to upgrade to W10.

The mother board has support for M.2 SSD, but as I understand it W7 will
not boot from M.2.

I would like to clone the W7 system to the M.2 and then upgrade in situ.

Closing/copying the existing SSD, upgrading, then cloning to the M.2 is a
bit more complex and messy, and it is a good few years since I messed
around with this stuff and I would have to re-learn everything.

Any simple fixes?

I don't really want to have to do a clean install then try and add back
all my software.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Upgrading WIn 7 on 2.5" SSD to W10 on M.2 SSD

<ke6tv5Fr9gnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3588&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3588

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Upgrading WIn 7 on 2.5" SSD to W10 on M.2 SSD
Date: 5 Jun 2023 20:13:25 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 20:13 UTC

On 5 Jun 2023 at 14:10:15 BST, "David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> The time has, I think, finally come to upgrade to W10.
>
> The mother board has support for M.2 SSD, but as I understand it W7 will
> not boot from M.2.
>
> I would like to clone the W7 system to the M.2 and then upgrade in situ.
>
> Closing/copying the existing SSD, upgrading, then cloning to the M.2 is a
> bit more complex and messy, and it is a good few years since I messed
> around with this stuff and I would have to re-learn everything.
>
> Any simple fixes?
>
> I don't really want to have to do a clean install then try and add back
> all my software.

Clone your current drive off to an external drive.
Upgrade current to Win10.
Clone that to the M.2.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we don't
-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Re: Upgrading WIn 7 on 2.5" SSD to W10 on M.2 SSD

<ke8rffFm6l8U13@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3589&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3589

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 6 Jun 2023 13:43:11 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 13:43 UTC

On Mon, 05 Jun 2023 20:13:25 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

> On 5 Jun 2023 at 14:10:15 BST, "David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> The time has, I think, finally come to upgrade to W10.
>>
>> The mother board has support for M.2 SSD, but as I understand it W7
>> will not boot from M.2.
>>
>> I would like to clone the W7 system to the M.2 and then upgrade in
>> situ.
>>
>> Closing/copying the existing SSD, upgrading, then cloning to the M.2 is
>> a bit more complex and messy, and it is a good few years since I messed
>> around with this stuff and I would have to re-learn everything.
>>
>> Any simple fixes?
>>
>> I don't really want to have to do a clean install then try and add back
>> all my software.
>
> Clone your current drive off to an external drive.
> Upgrade current to Win10.
> Clone that to the M.2.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Do this under Linux, or recommend a (free) Windows programme?

Thanks

Dave R

Re: Upgrading WIn 7 on 2.5" SSD to W10 on M.2 SSD

<ke8rlvF5ojhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3590&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3590

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 6 Jun 2023 13:46:39 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 13:46 UTC

On 6 Jun 2023 at 14:43:11 BST, "David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Jun 2023 20:13:25 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
>
>> On 5 Jun 2023 at 14:10:15 BST, "David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The time has, I think, finally come to upgrade to W10.
>>>
>>> The mother board has support for M.2 SSD, but as I understand it W7
>>> will not boot from M.2.
>>>
>>> I would like to clone the W7 system to the M.2 and then upgrade in
>>> situ.
>>>
>>> Closing/copying the existing SSD, upgrading, then cloning to the M.2 is
>>> a bit more complex and messy, and it is a good few years since I messed
>>> around with this stuff and I would have to re-learn everything.
>>>
>>> Any simple fixes?
>>>
>>> I don't really want to have to do a clean install then try and add back
>>> all my software.
>>
>> Clone your current drive off to an external drive.
>> Upgrade current to Win10.
>> Clone that to the M.2.
>>
>> Cheers - Jaimie
>
> Do this under Linux, or recommend a (free) Windows programme?

I'd use my bootable EaseUS Backup USB stick, but last I looked the
enterprise version didn't have free trial any more so couldn't be used
to make the stick...

Not sure what else is available and good now, sorry.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
Sent from my Atari 400

Re: Upgrading WIn 7 on 2.5" SSD to W10 on M.2 SSD

<khvm1qFtiqfU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3720&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3720

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 21 Jul 2023 15:20:26 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:20 UTC

On Tue, 06 Jun 2023 13:46:39 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

> On 6 Jun 2023 at 14:43:11 BST, "David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> Clone your current drive off to an external drive.
>>> Upgrade current to Win10.
>>> Clone that to the M.2.
>>>
>>> Cheers - Jaimie
>>
>> Do this under Linux, or recommend a (free) Windows programme?
>
> I'd use my bootable EaseUS Backup USB stick, but last I looked the
> enterprise version didn't have free trial any more so couldn't be used
> to make the stick...
>
> Not sure what else is available and good now, sorry.
>
> Cheers - Jaimie

Discovered I still have a copy of Macrium Reflect so I am going to try
that.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Upgrading WIn 7 on 2.5" SSD to W10 on M.2 SSD

<khvv8iFrhqbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3721&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3721

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 21 Jul 2023 17:57:38 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 17:57 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:20:26 +0000, David wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jun 2023 13:46:39 +0000, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

>>> Do this under Linux, or recommend a (free) Windows programme?
>>
>> I'd use my bootable EaseUS Backup USB stick, but last I looked the
>> enterprise version didn't have free trial any more so couldn't be used
>> to make the stick...
>>
>> Not sure what else is available and good now, sorry.
>>
>> Cheers - Jaimie
>
> Discovered I still have a copy of Macrium Reflect so I am going to try
> that.

(1) Fitted new (well, from stock) SSD into external USB drive caddy.

(2) Used Macrium to clone the system SSD (fortunately a tiny bit smaller
than the new drive)

(3) Swapped out the system drive and replaced it with the clone.

(4) Booted up OK.

I'm now running on the new SSD and planning to upgrade in the next few
days.

I did have a couple of strange things.

Avast Secure Browser wanted to start at boot time but failed.
It didn't auto start before the clone.
I've uninstalled it.

Classic Shell seems to have gone walkabout.
Not sure if this is tied in with the Avast thing.

I can't run the Media Creation Tool on W7.
This is a known error but the suggested fix isn't working.
However I have W8.1 and W10 systems which should run it OK.

I have uninstalled GWX as I have no use for it now.
It has been redundant for a long time but not doing any obvious harm.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Upgrading WIn 7 on 2.5" SSD to W10 on M.2 SSD

<xn0o4m3xv1zhin200c@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3722&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3722

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 21 Jul 2023 19:11:39 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 19:11 UTC

On 21/07/2023 in message <khvv8iFrhqbU1@mid.individual.net> David wrote:

>I have uninstalled GWX as I have no use for it now.
>It has been redundant for a long time but not doing any obvious harm.

The equivalent for Win 11 is "InControl":

https://www.grc.com/incontrol.htm

Or you can turn off secure boot and stick to legacy BIOS.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

Re: Upgrading WIn 7 on 2.5" SSD to W10 on M.2 SSD

<kj70qtF8lsqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3781&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3781

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 5 Aug 2023 13:23:41 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 5 Aug 2023 13:23 UTC

On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 17:57:38 +0000, David wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jul 2023 15:20:26 +0000, David wrote:

>>> I'd use my bootable EaseUS Backup USB stick, but last I looked the
>>> enterprise version didn't have free trial any more so couldn't be used
>>> to make the stick...
>>>
>>> Not sure what else is available and good now, sorry.
>>>
>>> Cheers - Jaimie
>>
>> Discovered I still have a copy of Macrium Reflect so I am going to try
>> that.
>
> (1) Fitted new (well, from stock) SSD into external USB drive caddy.
>
> (2) Used Macrium to clone the system SSD (fortunately a tiny bit smaller
> than the new drive)
>
> (3) Swapped out the system drive and replaced it with the clone.
>
> (4) Booted up OK.
>
> I'm now running on the new SSD and planning to upgrade in the next few
> days.
>
> I did have a couple of strange things.
>
> Avast Secure Browser wanted to start at boot time but failed.
> It didn't auto start before the clone.
> I've uninstalled it.
>
> Classic Shell seems to have gone walkabout.
> Not sure if this is tied in with the Avast thing.
>
> I can't run the Media Creation Tool on W7.
> This is a known error but the suggested fix isn't working.
> However I have W8.1 and W10 systems which should run it OK.
>

> I have uninstalled GWX as I have no use for it now.
> It has been redundant for a long time but not doing any obvious harm.

Noting that I cloned the Windows C:\ system drive from within Windows
whilst it was running, on reflection I am slightly surprised that it
worked so well.

In theory I was copying a drive whilst it was being written to.

Does this work these days, or should I go for a bootable utility?

I am about to clone from SATA SSD to PCI/E M.2 SSD.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64