She's the kind of girl who climbed the ladder of success wrong by wrong. -- Mae West

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Random halts/reboots on older PC

SubjectAuthor
* Random halts/reboots on older PCDavid
+* Re: Random halts/reboots on older PCMarco Moock
|+- Re: Random halts/reboots on older PCDavid
|`* Re: Random halts/reboots on older PCDave R
| `- Re: Random halts/reboots on older PCDave R
+- Re: Random halts/reboots on older PCDave R
+- Re: Random halts/reboots on older PCJaimie Vandenbergh
`- Re: Random halts/reboots on older PCDavid

1
Random halts/reboots on older PC

<kaa804Fh2iqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3237&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3237

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Random halts/reboots on older PC
Date: 19 Apr 2023 13:17:56 GMT
 by: David - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 13:17 UTC

My daily driver, some years back, seemed to develop random halts/reboots.
Mainly running under W7.

After some inconclusive testing I put it to one side and moved to another
PC.

Now I am looking at juggling cases, mother boards and PSUs to fit in my
recent eBay purchase of a graphics card, I am running up my older systems
to see how they fare.

This system (in the Home Theatre case) has W7 installed in two locations
(according to the Linux boot loader) and Linux.

I am running it under Linux for the moment.

I think I had a couple of unplanned reboots when I wasn't watching (but
can't be sure this wasn't Linux catching up on years of missed updates) so
I decided to try and recall my shell programming skills.

I now have one terminal window in a "while true" loop redirecting "uptime"
to a log file.

The other terminal window has a "tail -f" on the log file.

This has been running for over 6 days now without any apparent hiccup, but
with a load average of 0.

I am now wondering if I should simulate a load to get the CPU a bit warmer
and the SSD a bit more active.

Any suggestions for simple activities which could do this?

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Random halts/reboots on older PC

<u1p8k5$4coq$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3242&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3242

From: mo0...@posteo.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Random halts/reboots on older PC
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:32:53 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Wed, 19 Apr 2023 17:32 UTC

Am 19.04.2023 um 13:17:56 Uhr schrieb David:

> I am now wondering if I should simulate a load to get the CPU a bit
> warmer and the SSD a bit more active.

Use the "stress" command and use lm-sensors or PSensors to monitor the
CPU temperature. Do the same for the GPU with glmark2.

Re: Random halts/reboots on older PC

<kbnkf7Fdo4jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3486&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3486

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 6 May 2023 18:26:47 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 6 May 2023 18:26 UTC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:32:53 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 19.04.2023 um 13:17:56 Uhr schrieb David:
>
>> I am now wondering if I should simulate a load to get the CPU a bit
>> warmer and the SSD a bit more active.
>
> Use the "stress" command and use lm-sensors or PSensors to monitor the
> CPU temperature. Do the same for the GPU with glmark2.

Thanks.
In the end I just left it running.
It has been fine until today.

So I decided to start up W7 and see how that went.

Fine for 30 minutes or so then powered off then restarted.
Booted up then powered off again.
Then it wouldn't get past grub when I tried to go back into Linux.

Letting it cool down for a while then will test under Linux as suggested.

I can see myself having to switch mother boards around to see if the fault
moves.

Oh, just wondering if GPU temperature is a separate thing if the GPU is
integrated with the CPU.
Been a long time since I tinkered.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: Random halts/reboots on older PC

<kc7br8FqrvcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3524&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3524

From: wib...@btinternet.com (Dave R)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 12 May 2023 17:37:44 GMT
 by: Dave R - Fri, 12 May 2023 17:37 UTC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:32:53 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 19.04.2023 um 13:17:56 Uhr schrieb David:
>
>> I am now wondering if I should simulate a load to get the CPU a bit
>> warmer and the SSD a bit more active.
>
> Use the "stress" command and use lm-sensors or PSensors to monitor the
> CPU temperature. Do the same for the GPU with glmark2.

glmark2 isn't in my version of Ubuntu.

Do you have an alternative?

[Can't recall the distribution name at the moment.]

Cheers

Dave R

--
On the Acer All-In-One

Re: Random halts/reboots on older PC

<kc7c0hFqrvcU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3525&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3525

From: wib...@btinternet.com (Dave R)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 12 May 2023 17:40:33 GMT
 by: Dave R - Fri, 12 May 2023 17:40 UTC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 13:17:56 +0000, David wrote:

> My daily driver, some years back, seemed to develop random
> halts/reboots. Mainly running under W7.
>
> After some inconclusive testing I put it to one side and moved to
> another PC.
>
> Now I am looking at juggling cases, mother boards and PSUs to fit in my
> recent eBay purchase of a graphics card, I am running up my older
> systems to see how they fare.
>
> This system (in the Home Theatre case) has W7 installed in two locations
> (according to the Linux boot loader) and Linux.
>
> I am running it under Linux for the moment.
>
> I think I had a couple of unplanned reboots when I wasn't watching (but
> can't be sure this wasn't Linux catching up on years of missed updates)
> so I decided to try and recall my shell programming skills.
>
> I now have one terminal window in a "while true" loop redirecting
> "uptime"
> to a log file.
>
> The other terminal window has a "tail -f" on the log file.
>
> This has been running for over 6 days now without any apparent hiccup,
> but with a load average of 0.
>
> I am now wondering if I should simulate a load to get the CPU a bit
> warmer and the SSD a bit more active.
>
> Any suggestions for simple activities which could do this?

Noting that there is a motherboard tuning utility which is running under
Windows so that may also be a suspect.

Hole in my bucket time if I have to run a failing system to try and
diagnose in flight.

It might be worth putting in an alternative SSD and trying a clean install
of Windows 10.

Cheers

Dave R

--
On the Acer All-In-One

Re: Random halts/reboots on older PC

<kc7c6nFqrvcU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3526&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3526

From: wib...@btinternet.com (Dave R)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 12 May 2023 17:43:51 GMT
 by: Dave R - Fri, 12 May 2023 17:43 UTC

On Fri, 12 May 2023 17:37:44 +0000, Dave R wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 19:32:53 +0200, Marco Moock wrote:
>
>> Am 19.04.2023 um 13:17:56 Uhr schrieb David:
>>
>>> I am now wondering if I should simulate a load to get the CPU a bit
>>> warmer and the SSD a bit more active.
>>
>> Use the "stress" command and use lm-sensors or PSensors to monitor the
>> CPU temperature. Do the same for the GPU with glmark2.
>
> glmark2 isn't in my version of Ubuntu.
>
> Do you have an alternative?
>
> [Can't recall the distribution name at the moment.]
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon, apparently.

--
On the Acer All-In-One

Re: Random halts/reboots on older PC

<kc7li3FsbfqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3527&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3527

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 12 May 2023 20:23:31 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Fri, 12 May 2023 20:23 UTC

On 19 Apr 2023 at 14:17:56 BST, "David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote:

> My daily driver, some years back, seemed to develop random halts/reboots.
> Mainly running under W7.

Usually your PSU going bad, if there's nothing obvious like stuck fans
or "reboots when I kick it" type issues.

Cheers - Jaimie

--
"In my opinion, we don't devote nearly enough
scientific research to finding a cure for jerks."

Re: Random halts/reboots on older PC

<ke6dv2FotbmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3586&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3586

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 5 Jun 2023 15:40:18 GMT
 by: David - Mon, 5 Jun 2023 15:40 UTC

On Wed, 19 Apr 2023 13:17:56 +0000, David wrote:

> My daily driver, some years back, seemed to develop random
> halts/reboots. Mainly running under W7.
>
> After some inconclusive testing I put it to one side and moved to
> another PC.
>
> Now I am looking at juggling cases, mother boards and PSUs to fit in my
> recent eBay purchase of a graphics card, I am running up my older
> systems to see how they fare.
>
> This system (in the Home Theatre case) has W7 installed in two locations
> (according to the Linux boot loader) and Linux.
>
> I am running it under Linux for the moment.
>
> I think I had a couple of unplanned reboots when I wasn't watching (but
> can't be sure this wasn't Linux catching up on years of missed updates)
> so I decided to try and recall my shell programming skills.
>
> I now have one terminal window in a "while true" loop redirecting
> "uptime"
> to a log file.
>
> The other terminal window has a "tail -f" on the log file.
>
> This has been running for over 6 days now without any apparent hiccup,
> but with a load average of 0.
>
> I am now wondering if I should simulate a load to get the CPU a bit
> warmer and the SSD a bit more active.
>
> Any suggestions for simple activities which could do this?

Seems to have given up the ghost now.
Been running Linux for a week or so.
Now appears to have no power.

Further investigation when the alligators get below arse level.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)