Joe's sister puts spaghetti in her shoes!

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

SubjectAuthor
* Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?David
+* Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?SH
|`* Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?alan_m
| `- Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?Brian Gaff
+- Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?NY
+* Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?Java Jive
|+* Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?NY
||`- Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?Java Jive
|`* Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?David
| +- Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?Woody
| +* Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?NY
| |`- Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?MB
| +- Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?Charlie+
| `* Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?David
|  +* Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?Java Jive
|  |+* Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?NY
|  ||+- Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?Java Jive
|  ||`* Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?Jim Lesurf
|  || `- Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?NY
|  |`- Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?Davey
|  +- Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?R. Mark Clayton
|  `- Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?David
`- Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?Indy Jess John

1
Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<jiauhlF7nvjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33885&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33885

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?
Date: 2 Jul 2022 13:12:21 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 13:12 UTC

I have an installation (Motor Home radio head unit which also plays DVDs)
where the DVD player (built in) will send audio and composite video out to
3 RCA sockets. Red, white, yellow.

Back in the day this could be for a DVD player to a TV with a SCART socket.
I'm searching, but my search terms aren't finding anything at the moment
(not an unusual thing) and I'm wondering if they still make these!

Also if it is worth the effort when I can buy a DVD player very cheaply,
and I already have to use an inverter to use the 240V TV.

I may have something in the loft (aka the museum) but I'm lacking the will
to go excavating at the moment.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<t9pgh1$2kei4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33886&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33886

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 14:17:20 +0100
 by: SH - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 13:17 UTC

On 02/07/2022 14:12, David wrote:
> I have an installation (Motor Home radio head unit which also plays DVDs)
> where the DVD player (built in) will send audio and composite video out to
> 3 RCA sockets. Red, white, yellow.
>
> Back in the day this could be for a DVD player to a TV with a SCART socket.
> I'm searching, but my search terms aren't finding anything at the moment
> (not an unusual thing) and I'm wondering if they still make these!
>
> Also if it is worth the effort when I can buy a DVD player very cheaply,
> and I already have to use an inverter to use the 240V TV.
>
> I may have something in the loft (aka the museum) but I'm lacking the will
> to go excavating at the moment.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Think the search term you need is Sacrt to Phono adapter:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=scart+to+phono+adapter&atb=v314-1&iax=images&ia=images

Or Phono to Scart cable (in different lengths)

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=scart+to+phono+cable&atb=v314-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<t9pjqu$2kptv$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33887&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33887

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 15:13:20 +0100
 by: NY - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 14:13 UTC

"David" <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I may have something in the loft (aka the museum) but I'm lacking the will
> to go excavating at the moment.

You need to find time to catalogue everything in your loft-museum ;-) If
it's catalogued, it's a museum; if it's not, it's a junk shop ;-)

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<jib5d6F8ovoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33888&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33888

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 16:09:26 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 15:09 UTC

On 02/07/2022 14:17, SH wrote:

> Think the search term you need is Sacrt to Phono adapter:
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=scart+to+phono+adapter&atb=v314-1&iax=images&ia=images

If you go down this route make sure that you get one with a in/out
switch. "In" for one device is the "out" for the device at the other end
of the cable and often it's not obvious which end is which.

> Or Phono to Scart cable (in different lengths)
>
> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=scart+to+phono+cable&atb=v314-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

Again, those may be outputs from SCART to the phono, you want the other
way around and you can get SCART to phono with 6 phono leads, 3 labelled
output and 3 labelled input.

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<t9ppab$2lbtp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33889&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33889

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 16:47:23 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 15:47 UTC

On 02/07/2022 14:12, David wrote:

> I have an installation (Motor Home radio head unit which also plays DVDs)
> where the DVD player (built in) will send audio and composite video out to
> 3 RCA sockets. Red, white, yellow.

To answer your question directly first, from your description you seem
to need something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TechWareGames-Metre-Scart-Triple-Phono/dp/B00OO441JE

However, Composite Video (aka CV) is just horrible! Almost anything
else is an improvement over its inherent dot-crawl.

For the best quality possible with an analogue connection, you need
Component Video (3 phono connectors marked R,G,B or Pb,Y,Pr). A lead
like this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (note that this
have five phono connections - 3 x video, 2 x audio):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-Component-YPbPr-Video-Cable/dp/B0060HIM2U

Next best is S-Video (sometimes aka separate-video or SVHS). A lead
like this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (again note the
stereo audio is included):

http://www.ixoscables.com/cgi-bin/ixos-cables/XHT501-150.html?id=JDJpWc2r

Note that with both Component Video and S-Video, many, perhaps most,
leads available require that you connect the stereo audio output
separately, using an additional normal stereo lead with two phono
sockets on each end, but above I've tried to find examples that take the
audio directly into the SCART, avoiding the separate cable.

If your player has any of these alternative outputs, you'd do better to
use those. I've never had a motor-home, at least not since the
camper-van/hippy-wagon era, so I don't know how possible it would be to
furtle around the back of a more recent installation, perhaps with a
torch and a mirror, to see if there are any additional sockets available
for better video output, but if you can and there are, I'd use them.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<t9pr12$2liol$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33890&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33890

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 17:15:44 +0100
 by: NY - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 16:15 UTC

"Java Jive" <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> I have an installation (Motor Home radio head unit which also plays DVDs)
>> where the DVD player (built in) will send audio and composite video out
>> 3 RCA sockets. Red, white, yellow.
>
> To answer your question directly first, from your description you seem to
> need something like this:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/TechWareGames-Metre-Scart-Triple-Phono/dp/B00OO441JE
>
> However, Composite Video (aka CV) is just horrible! Almost anything else
> is an improvement over its inherent dot-crawl.
>
> For the best quality possible with an analogue connection, you need
> Component Video (3 phono connectors marked R,G,B or Pb,Y,Pr). A lead like
> this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (note that this have
> five phono connections - 3 x video, 2 x audio):
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-Component-YPbPr-Video-Cable/dp/B0060HIM2U

That supposes that the TV which the head unit will drive can accept
component video. Not all devices with SCART sockets can do this. And it
assumes that the head unit can generate component video...

> Next best is S-Video (sometimes aka separate-video or SVHS). A lead like
> this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (again note the stereo
> audio is included).

How does S-Video differ from component? The Y and C are separate pins, but
isn't the C still PAL-encoded so you have the problems of dot-crawl and
reduced bandwidth to allow modulation onto 4.43 MHz. I suppose it prevents
the sender having to add the two signals together and the receiver having to
separate them. Do S-Video receivers suffer from cross-colour: is the signal
path typically kept sufficiently separate that the colour decoder doesn't
see fine detail in the luminance Y signal?

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<t9ptnv$2lsa3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33891&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33891

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 18:02:53 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 17:02 UTC

On 02/07/2022 17:15, NY wrote:

> "Java Jive" <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> However, Composite Video (aka CV) is just horrible!  Almost anything
>> else is an improvement over its inherent dot-crawl.
>>
>> For the best quality possible with an analogue connection, you need
>> Component Video (3 phono connectors marked R,G,B or Pb,Y,Pr).  A lead
>> like this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (note that
>> this have five phono connections  -  3 x video, 2 x audio):
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-Component-YPbPr-Video-Cable/dp/B0060HIM2U
>
> That supposes that the TV which the head unit will drive can accept
> component video. Not all devices with SCART sockets can do this. And it
> assumes that the head unit can generate component video...

Of course, but, as for the head unit, I mentioned that in my concluding
remarks, while most even moderately recent TVs should be able to accept
component video in - for example, I have a 25 year-old Panasonic LCD
which can.

>> Next best is S-Video (sometimes aka separate-video or SVHS).  A lead
>> like this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (again note
>> the stereo audio is included).
>
> How does S-Video differ from component? The Y and C are separate pins,
> but isn't the C still PAL-encoded so you have the problems of dot-crawl
> and reduced bandwidth to allow modulation onto 4.43 MHz.

I don't pretend to be up to scratch with the technical details of the
signals, at least not without some further research/reminding myself of
things forgotten, all I know is that in practice there is a significant
improvement in video quality moving from connecting the source of a
signal via CV to connecting it via S-Video.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<jibfghF7nvjU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33892&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33892

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 2 Jul 2022 18:01:53 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 18:01 UTC

On Sat, 02 Jul 2022 16:47:23 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

> On 02/07/2022 14:12, David wrote:
>>
>> I have an installation (Motor Home radio head unit which also plays
>> DVDs) where the DVD player (built in) will send audio and composite
>> video out to 3 RCA sockets. Red, white, yellow.
>
> To answer your question directly first, from your description you seem
> to need something like this:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/TechWareGames-Metre-Scart-Triple-Phono/dp/
B00OO441JE

> However, Composite Video (aka CV) is just horrible! Almost anything
> else is an improvement over its inherent dot-crawl.
>
> For the best quality possible with an analogue connection, you need
> Component Video (3 phono connectors marked R,G,B or Pb,Y,Pr). A lead
> like this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (note that this
> have five phono connections - 3 x video, 2 x audio):
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-Component-YPbPr-Video-Cable/dp/B0060HIM2U
>
> Next best is S-Video (sometimes aka separate-video or SVHS). A lead
> like this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (again note the
> stereo audio is included):
>
> http://www.ixoscables.com/cgi-bin/ixos-cables/XHT501-150.html?id=JDJpWc2r
>
> Note that with both Component Video and S-Video, many, perhaps most,
> leads available require that you connect the stereo audio output
> separately, using an additional normal stereo lead with two phono
> sockets on each end, but above I've tried to find examples that take the
> audio directly into the SCART, avoiding the separate cable.
>
> If your player has any of these alternative outputs, you'd do better to
> use those. I've never had a motor-home, at least not since the
> camper-van/hippy-wagon era, so I don't know how possible it would be to
> furtle around the back of a more recent installation, perhaps with a
> torch and a mirror, to see if there are any additional sockets available
> for better video output, but if you can and there are, I'd use them.

Looks like I would be far better off just buying a DVD player.

No sense in messing about with a very poor transmission method just
because the cabling is there.

My TV must be one of the newest to actually have a SCART socket instead of
just HDMI.

Now - which small cheap DVD player should I buy?

Cheers

Dave T

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<t9q1n9$2m9bt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33893&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33893

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2022 19:10:46 +0100
 by: Woody - Sat, 2 Jul 2022 18:10 UTC

On Sat 02/07/2022 19:01, David wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2022 16:47:23 +0100, Java Jive wrote:
>
>> On 02/07/2022 14:12, David wrote:
>>>
>>> I have an installation (Motor Home radio head unit which also plays
>>> DVDs) where the DVD player (built in) will send audio and composite
>>> video out to 3 RCA sockets. Red, white, yellow.
>>
>> To answer your question directly first, from your description you seem
>> to need something like this:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/TechWareGames-Metre-Scart-Triple-Phono/dp/
> B00OO441JE
>>
>> However, Composite Video (aka CV) is just horrible! Almost anything
>> else is an improvement over its inherent dot-crawl.
>>
>> For the best quality possible with an analogue connection, you need
>> Component Video (3 phono connectors marked R,G,B or Pb,Y,Pr). A lead
>> like this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (note that this
>> have five phono connections - 3 x video, 2 x audio):
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-Component-YPbPr-Video-Cable/dp/B0060HIM2U
>>
>> Next best is S-Video (sometimes aka separate-video or SVHS). A lead
>> like this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (again note the
>> stereo audio is included):
>>
>> http://www.ixoscables.com/cgi-bin/ixos-cables/XHT501-150.html?id=JDJpWc2r
>>
>> Note that with both Component Video and S-Video, many, perhaps most,
>> leads available require that you connect the stereo audio output
>> separately, using an additional normal stereo lead with two phono
>> sockets on each end, but above I've tried to find examples that take the
>> audio directly into the SCART, avoiding the separate cable.
>>
>> If your player has any of these alternative outputs, you'd do better to
>> use those. I've never had a motor-home, at least not since the
>> camper-van/hippy-wagon era, so I don't know how possible it would be to
>> furtle around the back of a more recent installation, perhaps with a
>> torch and a mirror, to see if there are any additional sockets available
>> for better video output, but if you can and there are, I'd use them.
>
> Looks like I would be far better off just buying a DVD player.
>
> No sense in messing about with a very poor transmission method just
> because the cabling is there.
>
> My TV must be one of the newest to actually have a SCART socket instead of
> just HDMI.
>
> Now - which small cheap DVD player should I buy?
>
> Cheers

There's several Sony models for less than about £50. Look at a
DVP-SR760H. We have the 750 version and it cost about £25 although that
was perhaps 8-10 years ago. The 760 is available (even at Currys!) for £39.
Blu-Ray doesn't cost much more.

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<3OudnXACiPs5el3_nZ2dnUU7-UHNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33894&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33894

Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2022 01:49:32 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Sun, 3 Jul 2022 00:49 UTC

On 02/07/2022 19:01, David wrote:
> My TV must be one of the newest to actually have a SCART socket instead of
> just HDMI.

Our TV, bought in 2018, certainly has no SCART input. I don't think it
has composite input as phono instead. It does have component analogue
input, but that's no use for connecting a device (eg PVR) which only has
SCART/phono composite output. Luckily we still have an older TV with
SCART if we want to watch any recordings that were made on that old PVR.

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<qne2ch1o8sfgg1o8o65hhllkei4fagtfbb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33895&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33895

From: char...@xxx.net (Charlie+)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 07:48:49 +0100
 by: Charlie+ - Sun, 3 Jul 2022 06:48 UTC

On 2 Jul 2022 18:01:53 GMT, David <wibble@btinternet.com> wrote as
underneath :

snip
>Now - which small cheap DVD player should I buy?

If for occasional use - the charity shops have them nowadays for
washers! C+

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<t9rgah$2u5sd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33896&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33896

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2022 08:26:10 +0100
 by: MB - Sun, 3 Jul 2022 07:26 UTC

On 03/07/2022 01:49, NY wrote:
> Our TV, bought in 2018, certainly has no SCART input.

My TV is slightly older and has a SCART connector. I have an old DVD
player connected to it and use it to check any DVD's that I am sending
to people. I just reckon that if they will play on that then they will
play on anything.

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<t9rqb5$30ikq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33902&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33902

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2022 11:17:09 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 3 Jul 2022 10:17 UTC

Yes you can still get these aaadaptors with the little slide switch, and
there is little to go wrong with them either.
Not like some of the Chinese any kind of video to and from any other. I've
had nothing but grief from those.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"alan_m" <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 02/07/2022 14:17, SH wrote:
>
>> Think the search term you need is Sacrt to Phono adapter:
>>
>> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=scart+to+phono+adapter&atb=v314-1&iax=images&ia=images
>
> If you go down this route make sure that you get one with a in/out switch.
> "In" for one device is the "out" for the device at the other end of the
> cable and often it's not obvious which end is which.
>

>> Or Phono to Scart cable (in different lengths)
>>
>> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=scart+to+phono+cable&atb=v314-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images
>
> Again, those may be outputs from SCART to the phono, you want the other
> way around and you can get SCART to phono with 6 phono leads, 3 labelled
> output and 3 labelled input.
>
> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<jie681F7nvjU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33904&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33904

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 3 Jul 2022 18:42:09 GMT
 by: David - Sun, 3 Jul 2022 18:42 UTC

On Sat, 02 Jul 2022 18:01:53 +0000, David wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2022 16:47:23 +0100, Java Jive wrote:
>
>> On 02/07/2022 14:12, David wrote:
>>>
>>> I have an installation (Motor Home radio head unit which also plays
>>> DVDs) where the DVD player (built in) will send audio and composite
>>> video out to 3 RCA sockets. Red, white, yellow.
>>
>> To answer your question directly first, from your description you seem
>> to need something like this:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/TechWareGames-Metre-Scart-Triple-Phono/dp/
> B00OO441JE
>>
>> However, Composite Video (aka CV) is just horrible! Almost anything
>> else is an improvement over its inherent dot-crawl.
>>
>> For the best quality possible with an analogue connection, you need
>> Component Video (3 phono connectors marked R,G,B or Pb,Y,Pr). A lead
>> like this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (note that this
>> have five phono connections - 3 x video, 2 x audio):
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-Component-YPbPr-Video-Cable/dp/B0060HIM2U
>>
>> Next best is S-Video (sometimes aka separate-video or SVHS). A lead
>> like this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (again note the
>> stereo audio is included):
>>
>> http://www.ixoscables.com/cgi-bin/ixos-cables/XHT501-150.html?
id=JDJpWc2r

>> Note that with both Component Video and S-Video, many, perhaps most,
>> leads available require that you connect the stereo audio output
>> separately, using an additional normal stereo lead with two phono
>> sockets on each end, but above I've tried to find examples that take
>> the audio directly into the SCART, avoiding the separate cable.
>>
>> If your player has any of these alternative outputs, you'd do better to
>> use those. I've never had a motor-home, at least not since the
>> camper-van/hippy-wagon era, so I don't know how possible it would be to
>> furtle around the back of a more recent installation, perhaps with a
>> torch and a mirror, to see if there are any additional sockets
>> available for better video output, but if you can and there are, I'd
>> use them.
>
> Looks like I would be far better off just buying a DVD player.
>
> No sense in messing about with a very poor transmission method just
> because the cabling is there.
>
> My TV must be one of the newest to actually have a SCART socket instead
> of just HDMI.
>
> Now - which small cheap DVD player should I buy?

Another thought - it has USB sockets.

Allegedly it can display pictures and play video.

No hints about what formats, but I feel a bit of experimentation coming on.

I also have a USB DVD writer for the laptops.
I wonder if that would work to play a DVD on the laptop and so on the TV
via HDMI.

I've also realised another reason not to use the audio head unit; no
remote control!

I could be at this for weeks, of course.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<t9um1v$3cgmd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33922&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33922

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 13:22:20 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 4 Jul 2022 12:22 UTC

On 03/07/2022 19:42, David wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2022 18:01:53 +0000, David wrote:

>>> To answer your question directly first, from your description you seem
>>> to need something like this:
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/TechWareGames-Metre-Scart-Triple-Phono/dp/
>> B00OO441JE
>>>
>>> However, Composite Video (aka CV) is just horrible! Almost anything
>>> else is an improvement over its inherent dot-crawl.
>>
>> Looks like I would be far better off just buying a DVD player.
>>
>> No sense in messing about with a very poor transmission method just
>> because the cabling is there.
>>
>> My TV must be one of the newest to actually have a SCART socket instead
>> of just HDMI.
>>
>> Now - which small cheap DVD player should I buy?

Others have already provided help on that, and, as I haven't bought one
recently, I can't add anything new.

> Another thought - it has USB sockets.

Do you mean the player unit or the TV? In what follows, I presume the
latter.

> Allegedly it can display pictures and play video.
>
> No hints about what formats, but I feel a bit of experimentation coming on.

Yes, most probably the TV can playback media from a USB, but, as you
suggest, you may have to consult the specs to determine what formats it
can use, and be aware that in this context 'formats' is also ambiguous,
because it might refer to the USB format - exFAT, NTFS, etc - or the
format of a media file - mp3, mp4, etc. You'll need both to be
understandable by the TV for anything to work.

> I also have a USB DVD writer for the laptops.
> I wonder if that would work to play a DVD on the laptop and so on the TV
> via HDMI.

Again this is potentially ambiguous ...

1) You might be able to plug the USB-DVD-Writer directly into the TV and
have the latter playback a DVD from there.

You might be able to put a DVD into a laptop and have it playback from
there by one of two methods:

2) Over a network, either cabled or WiFi. You'd have to network-share
the DVD player in the PC and have both the laptop and the TV connected
to a router or by peer-to-peer networking to do this.

3) Connecting an HDMI output from the laptop or the player itself to an
HDMI input on the TV.

> I've also realised another reason not to use the audio head unit; no
> remote control!

Depending on make & model of unit, a standard 3rd party remote control
such as a One-For-All URC7140 may be able to work it. I've had good
results from these, even on very old obscure kit, where they were good
enough to respond positively and helpfully to an email for help -
these days a rare example of what formerly used to be considered normal
'customer service'! There's an Amazon link below, but you can probably
get one from your local supermarket; I know that Tesco used to have
them, because I bought my second one there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-All-Essence-Universal-control-Black/dp/B003NSIE40

> I could be at this for weeks, of course.

Nothing like keeping busy to keep one out of mischief, or, perhaps, here
keeping one deeply in it ...

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<ta0snl$3lmne$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33933&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33933

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 09:28:04 +0100
 by: NY - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 08:28 UTC

> Yes, most probably the TV can playback media from a USB, but, as you
> suggest, you may have to consult the specs to determine what formats it
> can use, and be aware that in this context 'formats' is also ambiguous,
> because it might refer to the USB format - exFAT, NTFS, etc - or the
> format of a media file - mp3, mp4, etc. You'll need both to be
> understandable by the TV for anything to work.

It's a real pain. I normally format removable drives as NTFS on my Windows
PC - it's the default. But I need to remember that if I want the drive to be
readable in a player (PVR etc) it needs to be FAT32 (sometimes exFAT is
acceptable - and it doesn't suffer from the dreaded Windows FAT32 file size
limit of 4 GB).

Given that Linux now has an NTFS package which can read *and write*
Microsoft's proprietary format, I'm not sure why it isn't a standard format
on any device that I've seen. Maybe Linux NTFS is only free for private use,
and manufacturers are not allowed to supply the driver on a commercial
product.

The file format restriction is a real pain. Some devices can read .TS files,
using either MPEG1 L2 codec (SD) or H264 (HD). That seems to be the generic
format that PVR software (NextPVR, TVHeadend) records to. But some devices
(the HDD recorder/player that my parents have) can only read .MPG files, so
you have to translate them - all for the sake of a fairly trivial difference
in file format.

Some disk formats are very odd. I have an old TVonics PVR. When it stopped
working (it turned out to be just a faulty PSU) I removed its HDD to see if
I could extract the recordings to play them on a PC. But the filesystem on
the disc is not recognised either by Windows (so it's not FAT or NTFS) or by
Linux Ubuntu, Cinnamon Mint etc (so it's not any of the standard UNIX
filesystems such as ext4). Goodness knows what proprietary filesystem they
have used. Knowing my luck, even if I'd been able to read the disc, I'd
probably then have found that the recordings were in a non-standard file
format.

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<ta1a25$3n1oq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33940&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33940

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 13:16:03 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 12:16 UTC

On 05/07/2022 09:28, NY wrote:

> "Java Jive" <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> Yes, most probably the TV can playback media from a USB, but, as you
>> suggest, you may have to consult the specs to determine what formats
>> it can use, and be aware that in this context 'formats' is also
>> ambiguous, because it might refer to the USB format  -  exFAT, NTFS,
>> etc  -  or the format of a media file  -  mp3, mp4, etc.  You'll need
>> both to be understandable by the TV for anything to work.
>
> Some disk formats are very odd. I have an old TVonics PVR. When it
> stopped working (it turned out to be just a faulty PSU) I removed its
> HDD to see if I could extract the recordings to play them on a PC. But
> the filesystem on the disc is not recognised either by Windows (so it's
> not FAT or NTFS) or by Linux Ubuntu, Cinnamon Mint etc (so it's not any
> of the standard UNIX filesystems such as ext4). Goodness knows what
> proprietary filesystem they have used. Knowing my luck, even if I'd been
> able to read the disc, I'd probably then have found that the recordings
> were in a non-standard file format.

There are some proprietary formats around - eg those used formerly,
and perhaps still, by Panasonic PVRs - some of which seem to be
derivatives of DVD/CD formats, UDF2. See my webpage below for a
discussion about this which covers extracting video from a Panasonic PVR
via DVD-RAM. Although most of it is not quite what you're trying to do,
it's possibly still useful knowledge, and the last section of the page
is actually directly relevant:

https://www.macfh.co.uk/JavaJive/AudioVisualTV/PanasonicDMRE100H/PanasonicDMRE100HDVDRAMToPC.html

Noting particularly that last section, you might be able to read your
disk by following a similar procedure.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<f5741e6b-2462-41a8-9a8a-df3479857421n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33941&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33941

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 08:42:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 15:42 UTC

On Sunday, 3 July 2022 at 19:42:11 UTC+1, David wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jul 2022 18:01:53 +0000, David wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 02 Jul 2022 16:47:23 +0100, Java Jive wrote:

SNIP

> I also have a USB DVD writer for the laptops.
> I wonder if that would work to play a DVD on the laptop and so on the TV
> via HDMI.

If you can play DVD's on the lap top then if you plug in the TV on HDMI and extend the desktop onto it then position the viewing window on the TV and expand it to full screen.

Should work.

> I've also realised another reason not to use the audio head unit; no
> remote control!
>
> I could be at this for weeks, of course.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R
> --

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<5a0328ea46noise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33947&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33947

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 10:04:57 +0100
 by: Jim Lesurf - Tue, 5 Jul 2022 09:04 UTC

In article <ta0snl$3lmne$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
> Given that Linux now has an NTFS package which can read *and write*
> Microsoft's proprietary format, I'm not sure why it isn't a standard
> format on any device that I've seen. Maybe Linux NTFS is only free for
> private use, and manufacturers are not allowed to supply the driver on
> a commercial product.

I suspect the fixation of commercial items with FAT simply reflects the
no-brain atitude of makers that "FAT is the standard". Its become the
lowest common denom for transfers. Why would they change if people keep
buying...

However provided it can cope with file sizes, etc, it seems usable enough
for carrying files between machines with different OS on things like memory
sticks, or from cameras, etc, on cards.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<ta3npl$o7l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33956&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33956

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2022 11:22:01 +0100
 by: NY - Wed, 6 Jul 2022 10:22 UTC

"Jim Lesurf" <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <ta0snl$3lmne$1@dont-email.me>, NY <me@privacy.invalid> wrote:
>> Given that Linux now has an NTFS package which can read *and write*
>> Microsoft's proprietary format, I'm not sure why it isn't a standard
>> format on any device that I've seen. Maybe Linux NTFS is only free for
>> private use, and manufacturers are not allowed to supply the driver on
>> a commercial product.
>
> I suspect the fixation of commercial items with FAT simply reflects the
> no-brain atitude of makers that "FAT is the standard". Its become the
> lowest common denom for transfers. Why would they change if people keep
> buying...
>
> However provided it can cope with file sizes, etc, it seems usable enough
> for carrying files between machines with different OS on things like
> memory
> sticks, or from cameras, etc, on cards.

I suppose the FAT32 fixation is only a problem for video cameras, where the
size of an individual file (a single recording) may potentially grow to
beyond 4 GB if you left the camera recording for a long time.

But it is a pain to have to keep a special memory stick formatted as FAT,
when everything else is NTFS, for playing recordings made elsewhere on a
player than can only read FAT32.

I have an old Windows XP PC (not connected to the internet) which I
occasionally use for analogue transfers from VHS etc because its capture
card gives much better results than USB capture devices that I've tried.
Although the PC has an NTFS disc, the software seems to be hard-coded to
start a new recording when the file size grows beyond 4 GB - and
unfortunately there is a gap of a second or so between recordings. I've got
into the habit of stopping the transfer when the file is getting close to 4
GB, winding the tape back a bit and starting a new recording, so there is
enough overlap that I can join the recordings and then remove the part that
is copied twice, using changes of shot to get a frame-accurate
(undetectable) join.

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<taejd7$1cr09$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=33992&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#33992

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 14:15:19 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sun, 10 Jul 2022 13:15 UTC

On 02/07/2022 14:12, David wrote:
> I have an installation (Motor Home radio head unit which also plays DVDs)
> where the DVD player (built in) will send audio and composite video out to
> 3 RCA sockets. Red, white, yellow.
>
> Back in the day this could be for a DVD player to a TV with a SCART socket.
> I'm searching, but my search terms aren't finding anything at the moment
> (not an unusual thing) and I'm wondering if they still make these!

They are still around.
I think this would be what you are looking for.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351285852130

I have used that seller, though not for that product.

Jim

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<jn6gusFt1vU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35943&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#35943

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 30 Aug 2022 13:17:17 GMT
 by: David - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 13:17 UTC

On Sun, 03 Jul 2022 18:42:09 +0000, David wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Jul 2022 18:01:53 +0000, David wrote:

>>> To answer your question directly first, from your description you seem
>>> to need something like this:
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/TechWareGames-Metre-Scart-Triple-Phono/dp/
>> B00OO441JE
>>>
>>> However, Composite Video (aka CV) is just horrible! Almost anything
>>> else is an improvement over its inherent dot-crawl.
>>>
>>> For the best quality possible with an analogue connection, you need
>>> Component Video (3 phono connectors marked R,G,B or Pb,Y,Pr). A lead
>>> like this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (note that
>>> this have five phono connections - 3 x video, 2 x audio):
>>>
>>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-Component-YPbPr-Video-Cable/dp/
B0060HIM2U

>>> Next best is S-Video (sometimes aka separate-video or SVHS). A lead
>>> like this could be used to connect to a TV SCART socket (again note
>>> the stereo audio is included):
>>>
>>> http://www.ixoscables.com/cgi-bin/ixos-cables/XHT501-150.html?
> id=JDJpWc2r
>>>
>>> Note that with both Component Video and S-Video, many, perhaps most,
>>> leads available require that you connect the stereo audio output
>>> separately, using an additional normal stereo lead with two phono
>>> sockets on each end, but above I've tried to find examples that take
>>> the audio directly into the SCART, avoiding the separate cable.
>>>
>>> If your player has any of these alternative outputs, you'd do better
>>> to use those. I've never had a motor-home, at least not since the
>>> camper-van/hippy-wagon era, so I don't know how possible it would be
>>> to furtle around the back of a more recent installation, perhaps with
>>> a torch and a mirror, to see if there are any additional sockets
>>> available for better video output, but if you can and there are, I'd
>>> use them.
>>
>> Looks like I would be far better off just buying a DVD player.
>>
>> No sense in messing about with a very poor transmission method just
>> because the cabling is there.
>>
>> My TV must be one of the newest to actually have a SCART socket instead
>> of just HDMI.
>>
>> Now - which small cheap DVD player should I buy?
>
> Another thought - it has USB sockets.
>
> Allegedly it can display pictures and play video.
>
> No hints about what formats, but I feel a bit of experimentation coming
> on.
>
> I also have a USB DVD writer for the laptops.
> I wonder if that would work to play a DVD on the laptop and so on the TV
> via HDMI.
>
> I've also realised another reason not to use the audio head unit; no
> remote control!
>
> I could be at this for weeks, of course.

After much messing about, I've converted some MKV copies of DVDs to MP4/
M4V using VLC for one and Handbrake for the other.

The TV won't recognise either of them, although it will recognise a video
from my mobile phone.

I've copied my DVD archive to an external drive and I'm taking that with
my laptop to use that to play back the videos.

As an aside, I had forgotten how old and low resolution DVD videos are.
I assume that I'm so used to DVD players upsampling to Full HD that I
completely blanked that they are (I think) SD.

Cheers

Dave R

Re: Audio L/R and composite in to SCART. Too old?

<televt$1h399$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=35966&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#35966

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2022 17:47:57 +0100
 by: Davey - Tue, 30 Aug 2022 16:47 UTC

On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 13:22:20 +0100
Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:

> Depending on make & model of unit, a standard 3rd party remote
> control such as a One-For-All URC7140 may be able to work it. I've
> had good results from these, even on very old obscure kit, where they
> were good enough to respond positively and helpfully to an email for
> help - these days a rare example of what formerly used to be
> considered normal 'customer service'!

I second that, they are very helpful.

--
Davey.