From: J.O.....@f1.n221.z2.fidonet.fi (J.O. Aho)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: while loop taking input from file via iconv
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 22:41:31 +0200
 by: J.O. Aho - Fri, 13 Aug 2021 20:41 UTC

On 13/08/2021 21.28, Java Jive wrote:

Bash not my specialty, I would go with python... so I let someone else
answer that part.

> About this, I have another question.  Some of my family use Macs, not
> Windows PCs.  Am I right in thinking that, since recent versions of
> MacOS are Linux based,

No, macOS ain't based on Linux, it's based on BSD.

> they should be able to run this shell script to
> achieve what those using Windows will be able to do with the BATch file?

Depends on the version of macOS, newer one uses zsh wile older ones use
bash and then you of course can have users that have installed another
shell in the same way as a Linux user could have a different shell than
bash.

>  Do I have to give them any special instructions, for example how to
> get into a console?

That depends on their skill level in the same way as for Linux users,
sure it's more common that a macOS user never used a terminal, but there
are quite many Linux users who never used a terminal.

--

//Aho