From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Receiving Email on Smartphone
Date: 23 Mar 2022 14:20:41 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:20 UTC

I tried to collect emails while I was at the surgery yesterday but ended
up going in circles.

I have a package that included 16 GB a month of data but I can't see how
to use that to collect email, any tips?

Googling led to lots of ways to collect email addresses so I could SPAM
them, not what I'm looking for!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.

Re: Receiving Email on Smartphone

<t1fkta$vu3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3648&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3648

From: who...@me.nul (Who, me?)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Receiving Email on Smartphone
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:20:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Who, me? - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:20 UTC

On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:20:41 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I tried to collect emails while I was at the surgery yesterday but ended
> up going in circles.
>
> I have a package that included 16 GB a month of data but I can't see how
> to use that to collect email, any tips?

If you are using an email app eg GMail or Yahoo it should fetch the
emails automatically whether you are using data or wifi - unless you have
switched data off on your phone?

If you don't have the app for the email you use you just need to logon
via the phone's browser to the mail website.

--
david

Re: Receiving Email on Smartphone

<t1fm8g$dkv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3649&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3649

From: bog...@peatbogs.co.uk (boggy)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:43:41 +0000
 by: boggy - Wed, 23 Mar 2022 17:43 UTC

On 23/03/2022 17:20, Who, me? wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 14:20:41 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>> I tried to collect emails while I was at the surgery yesterday but ended
>> up going in circles.
>>
>> I have a package that included 16 GB a month of data but I can't see how
>> to use that to collect email, any tips?
>
> If you are using an email app eg GMail or Yahoo it should fetch the
> emails automatically whether you are using data or wifi - unless you have
> switched data off on your phone?
>
> If you don't have the app for the email you use you just need to logon
> via the phone's browser to the mail website.

On my iPhone I just use the native email application which comes with
the phone and which I have set up to collect emails from my isp, Zen.
It is also trivial to set up gmail, yahoo etc as the set-up data for
these is already there.

I assume android has something similar? - if not any email app should
do, it just needs to know username/password, incoming/outgoing servers etc.

I rarely use my phone to send emails - I leave that for a proper computer!

--

boggy

Re: Receiving Email on Smartphone

<xn0nfqtyk25oat7003@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3652&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3652

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 24 Mar 2022 08:41:26 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:41 UTC

On 23/03/2022 in message <t1fm8g$dkv$1@dont-email.me> boggy wrote:

>I assume android has something similar? - if not any email app should do,
>it just needs to know username/password, incoming/outgoing servers etc.
>
>I rarely use my phone to send emails - I leave that for a proper computer!

Many thanks David & boggy :-)

I suspect it was just there is not much in the way of signal there (one of
the disadvantages to living here) coupled with having set up the 'phone so
that warnings now play a long tune for some reason. On top of that there
was a young lady in school uniform in the waiting room who was looking at
me as only the pitying young can but it seemed inappropriate to ask her
for help.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it

Re: Receiving Email on Smartphone

<t1hdq3$bdt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3653&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3653

From: who...@me.nul (Who, me?)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:31:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Who, me? - Thu, 24 Mar 2022 09:31 UTC

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 08:41:26 +0000, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> 'phone so that warnings now play a long tune for some reason. On top of
> that there was a young lady in school uniform in the waiting room who
> was looking at me as only the pitying young can but it seemed
> inappropriate to ask her for help.

Ahh yes - *that* look :)

--
david