System going down in 5 minutes.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Streaming Amazon Prime

SubjectAuthor
* Streaming Amazon PrimeJeff Gaines
+- Re: Streaming Amazon PrimeAdrian Caspersz
+* Re: Streaming Amazon PrimeRoderick Stewart
|`- Re: Streaming Amazon PrimeBrian Gaff
+- Re: Streaming Amazon PrimeAndy Burns
`* Re: Streaming Amazon PrimeUnsteadyken
 +* Re: Streaming Amazon PrimeJeff Gaines
 |+- Re: Streaming Amazon PrimeUnsteadyken
 |`* Re: Streaming Amazon PrimeMax Demian
 | `- Re: Streaming Amazon PrimeDavid Woolley
 `* Re: Streaming Amazon PrimeBrian Gaff
  `- Re: Streaming Amazon PrimeJeff Gaines

1
Streaming Amazon Prime

<xn0nmrrdg6z8meq014@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36506&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36506

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Streaming Amazon Prime
Date: 12 Sep 2022 09:42:41 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:42 UTC

I signed up to Amazon Prime yesterday, streaming it through a Roku Express
4K.

After watching two episodes of Start Trek Picard I got an error message on
screen whining about the HDMI cable. I use a Yamaha RX-S601D to switch the
various devices which puts sound to the speakers and the video to my TV.

After a bit of Googling I found it seems to be a fairly common issue.
There was only one mention of DRM which I suspect is the root of the
problem. Can software detect that the HDMI cable is going through a switch
instead of directly form the Roku box to the TV? Nothing else complains
and I don't want to be stuck with TV sound.

Many thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists

Re: Streaming Amazon Prime

<jo8djcFpfjnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36507&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36507

From: ema...@here.invalid (Adrian Caspersz)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Streaming Amazon Prime
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 10:48:28 +0100
 by: Adrian Caspersz - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 09:48 UTC

On 12/09/2022 10:42, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I signed up to Amazon Prime yesterday, streaming it through a Roku
> Express 4K.
>
> After watching two episodes of Start Trek Picard I got an error message
> on screen whining about the HDMI cable. I use a Yamaha RX-S601D to
> switch the various devices which puts sound to the speakers and the
> video to my TV.
>
> After a bit of Googling I found it seems to be a fairly common issue.
> There was only one mention of DRM which I suspect is the root of the
> problem. Can software detect that the HDMI cable is going through a
> switch instead of directly form the Roku box to the TV? Nothing else
> complains and I don't want to be stuck with TV sound.

If your TV has ARC, then cabling the Roku direct to the TV should still
route sound to your Yamaha.

--
Adrian C

Re: Streaming Amazon Prime

<fr5uhh9l4mkigcd9hunmu8do8u3fdh54jl@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36513&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36513

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:48:43 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 11:48 UTC

On 12 Sep 2022 09:42:41 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I signed up to Amazon Prime yesterday, streaming it through a Roku Express
>4K.
>
>After watching two episodes of Start Trek Picard I got an error message on
>screen whining about the HDMI cable. I use a Yamaha RX-S601D to switch the
>various devices which puts sound to the speakers and the video to my TV.
>
>After a bit of Googling I found it seems to be a fairly common issue.
>There was only one mention of DRM which I suspect is the root of the
>problem. Can software detect that the HDMI cable is going through a switch
>instead of directly form the Roku box to the TV? Nothing else complains
>and I don't want to be stuck with TV sound.
>
>Many thanks.

I have an Nvidia Shield, an Amazon stick, a Sony Blu-ray player, a
computer and a Panasonic Freeview receiver connected through an HDMI
switch followed by a pass-through audio extractor to provide stereo
phono outputs for a hi-fi amplifier. The TV display has no signals fed
to it other than a single HDMI cable, and has its volume control
permanently turned down to zero.

The switch and the audio extractor are just little no-name boxes
costing a few tens of pounds, not the hundreds that an all-singing
all-dancing media receiver would probably have cost. I have this
arrangement as a result of gradually changing things and adding things
to what I already had over the years, and might have something quite
different if I could afford to scrap everything and start from
scratch, but it all works, no matter which input to the switch is
selected. If the TV is able to detect where the signal is coming from
it's not complaining. Maybe the answer is to keep things simple?

Rod.

Re: Streaming Amazon Prime

<jo8l3nFqkkrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36514&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36514

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:56:38 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 11:56 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> There was only one mention of DRM which I suspect is the root of the problem.

I think the person choosing the photos though "HDCP stripper" was something else!

<https://amazon.co.uk/HDCP-stripper/dp/B082L3HQGK/>

Re: Streaming Amazon Prime

<MPG.3d8939129e1382959897d4@News.Individual.NET>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36515&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36515

From: unsteady...@gmail.com (Unsteadyken)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 13:40:26 +0100
 by: Unsteadyken - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 12:40 UTC

In article <xn0nmrrdg6z8meq014@news.individual.net>,
Jeff Gaines says...

> I signed up to Amazon Prime yesterday, streaming it through a Roku Express
> 4K.

I have an RX-s601D and encountered this with 4K devices, it is due to
the copy protection
The solution:

Connect the Roku to HDMI input 6 which is HDCP2.2 Capable

--
Ken

Re: Streaming Amazon Prime

<tfnl0d$29olk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36519&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36519

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 16:59:08 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 15:59 UTC

I've never had any issues from DRM, its mainly there to stop hd being
recorded in fact from what I can tell. Anyway, I junked prime as the AD was
getting worse and every time the apps updated you lost functionality from
the inbuilt screenreader in the Samsung. I can live without costly streamed
stuff.
I sound like Scrooge, bah humbug!

Some Sony sets seem sensitive to cables, but I don't know anything about
your box..
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Roderick Stewart" <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 12 Sep 2022 09:42:41 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
> <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>I signed up to Amazon Prime yesterday, streaming it through a Roku Express
>>4K.
>>
>>After watching two episodes of Start Trek Picard I got an error message on
>>screen whining about the HDMI cable. I use a Yamaha RX-S601D to switch the
>>various devices which puts sound to the speakers and the video to my TV.
>>
>>After a bit of Googling I found it seems to be a fairly common issue.
>>There was only one mention of DRM which I suspect is the root of the
>>problem. Can software detect that the HDMI cable is going through a switch
>>instead of directly form the Roku box to the TV? Nothing else complains
>>and I don't want to be stuck with TV sound.
>>
>>Many thanks.
>
> I have an Nvidia Shield, an Amazon stick, a Sony Blu-ray player, a
> computer and a Panasonic Freeview receiver connected through an HDMI
> switch followed by a pass-through audio extractor to provide stereo
> phono outputs for a hi-fi amplifier. The TV display has no signals fed
> to it other than a single HDMI cable, and has its volume control
> permanently turned down to zero.
>
> The switch and the audio extractor are just little no-name boxes
> costing a few tens of pounds, not the hundreds that an all-singing
> all-dancing media receiver would probably have cost. I have this
> arrangement as a result of gradually changing things and adding things
> to what I already had over the years, and might have something quite
> different if I could afford to scrap everything and start from
> scratch, but it all works, no matter which input to the switch is
> selected. If the TV is able to detect where the signal is coming from
> it's not complaining. Maybe the answer is to keep things simple?
>
> Rod.

Re: Streaming Amazon Prime

<xn0nms6pc7jzmjh01g@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36521&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36521

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 12 Sep 2022 19:23:33 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 19:23 UTC

On 12/09/2022 in message <MPG.3d8939129e1382959897d4@News.Individual.NET>
Unsteadyken wrote:

>In article <xn0nmrrdg6z8meq014@news.individual.net>,
>
>Jeff Gaines says...
>
>>I signed up to Amazon Prime yesterday, streaming it through a Roku Express
>>4K.
>>

>I have an RX-s601D and encountered this with 4K devices, it is due to
>the copy protection
>
>The solution:
>
>Connect the Roku to HDMI input 6 which is HDCP2.2 Capable

Brilliant, thanks Ken :-)

I switched it over and have now watched the first three episodes of the
original Star Trek - I didn't know but only Spock was in episode 1, the
rest turned up in episode 2!

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation

Re: Streaming Amazon Prime

<MPG.3d89a9a85bb108269897d5@News.Individual.NET>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36522&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36522

From: unsteady...@gmail.com (Unsteadyken)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2022 21:40:49 +0100
 by: Unsteadyken - Mon, 12 Sep 2022 20:40 UTC

In article <xn0nms6pc7jzmjh01g@news.individual.net>,
Jeff Gaines says...

> Brilliant, thanks Ken :-)

It took me a while to figure out why I couldn't output 4K from a
Playstation 4. I eventually resorted to RTFM:-)

--
Ken

Re: Streaming Amazon Prime

<tfpe7o$2hmjk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36527&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36527

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 09:15:50 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 08:15 UTC

Silly question, why not make them all the same or at least fall back to
something, not just fix it so only one hdmi does the thing the way you want.
In my view the whole system is far too prescriptive. I needed to split off
the pc sound and not have it going through my telly when using it as a
monitor. I havd to get a via to hdmi adaptor and not use the audio bit to
get it to work. Its supposed to be configurable in Windoze, but it seems the
hardware often ignores you.
Brian

--

--:
"Unsteadyken" <unsteadyken@gmail.com> wrote in message
> In article <xn0nmrrdg6z8meq014@news.individual.net>,
>
> Jeff Gaines says...
>
>> I signed up to Amazon Prime yesterday, streaming it through a Roku
>> Express
>> 4K.
>>

> I have an RX-s601D and encountered this with 4K devices, it is due to
> the copy protection
>
> The solution:
>
> Connect the Roku to HDMI input 6 which is HDCP2.2 Capable
>

> --
> Ken

Re: Streaming Amazon Prime

<xn0nmt50l8dca6401l@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36530&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36530

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: 13 Sep 2022 09:05:13 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 09:05 UTC

I've had it just under five years, perhaps it was a new version of HDCP or
there may have been cost
implications - my Panasonic TV only does ARC on HDMI 1.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
The true meaning of life is to plant trees under whose shade you do not

On 13/09/2022 in message <tfpe7o$2hmjk$1@dont-email.me> Brian Gaff wrote:

>Silly question, why not make them all the same or at least fall back to
>something, not just fix it so only one hdmi does the thing the way you
>want.
>In my view the whole system is far too prescriptive. I needed to split off
>the pc sound and not have it going through my telly when using it as a
>monitor. I havd to get a via to hdmi adaptor and not use the audio bit to
>get it to work. Its supposed to be configurable in Windoze, but it seems
>the hardware often ignores you.
>Brian

Re: Streaming Amazon Prime

<tuednc74S-r3_r3-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36533&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36533

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 12:03:06 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
 by: Max Demian - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 11:03 UTC

On 12/09/2022 20:23, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 12/09/2022 in message
> <MPG.3d8939129e1382959897d4@News.Individual.NET> Unsteadyken wrote:
>
>> In article <xn0nmrrdg6z8meq014@news.individual.net>,
>>
>> Jeff Gaines says...
>>
>>> I signed up to Amazon Prime yesterday, streaming it through a Roku
>>> Express
>>> 4K.
>>>

>> I have an RX-s601D and encountered this with 4K devices, it is due to
>> the copy protection
>>
>> The solution:
>>
>> Connect the Roku to HDMI input 6 which is HDCP2.2 Capable
>
> Brilliant, thanks Ken :-)
>
> I switched it over and have now watched the first three episodes of the
> original Star Trek - I didn't know but only Spock was in episode 1, the
> rest turned up in episode 2!

You must be talking about the pilot episode with a different captain;
not shown until many years after the original broadcasts. They re-used
bits of it in one of the canonical episodes.

--
Max Demian

Re: Streaming Amazon Prime

<tfpqft$2iq2c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36534&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36534

From: dav...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2022 12:45:01 +0100
 by: David Woolley - Tue, 13 Sep 2022 11:45 UTC

On 13/09/2022 12:03, Max Demian wrote:
> You must be talking about the pilot episode with a different captain;
> not shown until many years after the original broadcasts. They re-used
> bits of it in one of the canonical episodes.
>
> -

They did two pilots. The first one had Captain Pike, and failed to get
them a series. It was re-cut to form the basis of The Menagerie, a two
part episode, when production was running late.

I think the second pilot was the one with the glowing eyes and the
barrier at the edge of the galaxy. I think it was the first shown in
the UK, but not in the US.