GIVE UP!!!!

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

SubjectAuthor
* Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Chris Green
+* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Robin
|+* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Brian Gaff
||`* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?alan_m
|| `- Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?pinnerite
|`* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Chris Green
| +- Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Martin
| `* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Robin
|  `* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Chris Green
|   `- Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Robin
+- Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Wilf
+* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Brian Gaff
|`* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Chris Green
| `* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Martin
|  `- Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?SH
`* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Roderick Stewart
 `* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Chris Green
  `* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?SH
   `* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?David Paste
    `* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Roderick Stewart
     `* Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Bob Latham
      `- Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?Roderick Stewart

1
Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<8cli0j-orof.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36956&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36956

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:18:48 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 08:18 UTC

We have a pretty standard FreeView installation, a Humax box (with a
good fast internet connection) with an (oldish) LG TV.

If we press the "TV Portal" button on the remote we get BBC iPlayer
but not ITV Hub or All 4 or anything else like that. Have we somehow
'removed' them or is it not possible to get these on FreeView? ... or
is there anything else we need to do to get them?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<bc68bca2-5c25-08f8-db0b-74bc0be7e7ac@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36957&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36957

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:45:35 +0100
 by: Robin - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 08:45 UTC

On 30/09/2022 09:18, Chris Green wrote:
> We have a pretty standard FreeView installation, a Humax box (with a
> good fast internet connection) with an (oldish) LG TV.
>
> If we press the "TV Portal" button on the remote we get BBC iPlayer
> but not ITV Hub or All 4 or anything else like that. Have we somehow
> 'removed' them or is it not possible to get these on FreeView? ... or
> is there anything else we need to do to get them?

Some Humax boxes (and other devices) lost the ITV Hub this week. If
yours is one of them then it's permanent.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/itv-hub-removed-samsung-tvs/

--
Robin

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<th6atu$vbqv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36958&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36958

From: wil...@postingx.uk (Wilf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:55:27 +0100
 by: Wilf - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 08:55 UTC

On 30/09/2022 at 09:18, Chris Green wrote:
> We have a pretty standard FreeView installation, a Humax box (with a
> good fast internet connection) with an (oldish) LG TV.
>
> If we press the "TV Portal" button on the remote we get BBC iPlayer
> but not ITV Hub or All 4 or anything else like that. Have we somehow
> 'removed' them or is it not possible to get these on FreeView? ... or
> is there anything else we need to do to get them?

The Manhattan T3-R Freeview recorder box gets iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4,
and Ch 5 player. And a few others. Selecting an item from the previous
week on the Guide will take you to that programme on the relevant player.
--
Wilf

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<th6avt$vcmp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36959&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36959

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:56:25 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 08:56 UTC

Depends whether those services has bothered to write an app to run on your
box.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Chris Green" <cl@isbd.net> wrote in message
> We have a pretty standard FreeView installation, a Humax box (with a
> good fast internet connection) with an (oldish) LG TV.
>
> If we press the "TV Portal" button on the remote we get BBC iPlayer
> but not ITV Hub or All 4 or anything else like that. Have we somehow
> 'removed' them or is it not possible to get these on FreeView? ... or
> is there anything else we need to do to get them?
>
> --
> Chris Green
> �

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<th6b65$vd4m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36960&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36960

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:59:45 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 08:59 UTC

I never did fathom the logic of restricting your market by not making the
modest investment in updating apps for popular devices, They will be playing
right into the hands of Amazons fire stick range of plug in USB or whatever
devices. If all these sites could get together and agree on the same way of
working a universal app could be produced, surely?
Brian

--

--:
"Robin" <rbw@outlook.com> wrote in message
> On 30/09/2022 09:18, Chris Green wrote:
>> We have a pretty standard FreeView installation, a Humax box (with a
>> good fast internet connection) with an (oldish) LG TV.
>>
>> If we press the "TV Portal" button on the remote we get BBC iPlayer
>> but not ITV Hub or All 4 or anything else like that. Have we somehow
>> 'removed' them or is it not possible to get these on FreeView? ... or
>> is there anything else we need to do to get them?
>>

> Some Humax boxes (and other devices) lost the ITV Hub this week. If yours
> is one of them then it's permanent.
>
> https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/itv-hub-removed-samsung-tvs/
>

> --
> Robin
> reply-to address is (intended to be) valid

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<p9pi0j-cj2g.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36962&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36962

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:25:45 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:25 UTC

Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
> On 30/09/2022 09:18, Chris Green wrote:
> > We have a pretty standard FreeView installation, a Humax box (with a
> > good fast internet connection) with an (oldish) LG TV.
> >
> > If we press the "TV Portal" button on the remote we get BBC iPlayer
> > but not ITV Hub or All 4 or anything else like that. Have we somehow
> > 'removed' them or is it not possible to get these on FreeView? ... or
> > is there anything else we need to do to get them?
> >

> Some Humax boxes (and other devices) lost the ITV Hub this week. If
> yours is one of them then it's permanent.
>
> https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/itv-hub-removed-samsung-tvs/

Yes, when I searched I found those reports, but I don't think we've
ever had ITV Hub or All 4 or anything other than BBC iPlayer.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<0epi0j-cj2g.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36963&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36963

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:28:00 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:28 UTC

Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> "Chris Green" <cl@isbd.net> wrote in message
> > We have a pretty standard FreeView installation, a Humax box (with a
> > good fast internet connection) with an (oldish) LG TV.
> >
> > If we press the "TV Portal" button on the remote we get BBC iPlayer
> > but not ITV Hub or All 4 or anything else like that. Have we somehow
> > 'removed' them or is it not possible to get these on FreeView? ... or
> > is there anything else we need to do to get them?
> >
> Depends whether those services has bothered to write an app to run on your
> box.

OK, but how would I know if they have written an app and do I have to
do anything to 'install' it or should it just appear?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<jpnrq9F7q9iU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36965&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36965

From: jun...@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:39:22 +0100
 by: alan_m - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:39 UTC

On 30/09/2022 09:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I never did fathom the logic of restricting your market by not making the
> modest investment in updating apps for popular devices, They will be playing
> right into the hands of Amazons fire stick range of plug in USB or whatever
> devices. If all these sites could get together and agree on the same way of
> working a universal app could be produced, surely?

Most of these types of things stop working because the broadcasters
cannot resist the temptation to constantly change. Never buy a TV or STB
based solely on the "smart" functions which may fail to work after a
year or so.

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<foedjh9ba49sausqrde7mfm3f2bmhi0uev@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36968&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36968

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 11:52:05 +0200
 by: Martin - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:52 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:25:45 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
>> On 30/09/2022 09:18, Chris Green wrote:
>> > We have a pretty standard FreeView installation, a Humax box (with a
>> > good fast internet connection) with an (oldish) LG TV.
>> >
>> > If we press the "TV Portal" button on the remote we get BBC iPlayer
>> > but not ITV Hub or All 4 or anything else like that. Have we somehow
>> > 'removed' them or is it not possible to get these on FreeView? ... or
>> > is there anything else we need to do to get them?
>> >

>> Some Humax boxes (and other devices) lost the ITV Hub this week. If
>> yours is one of them then it's permanent.
>>
>> https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/itv-hub-removed-samsung-tvs/
>>
>Yes, when I searched I found those reports, but I don't think we've
>ever had ITV Hub or All 4 or anything other than BBC iPlayer.

We have more than that with an old Humax Freesat box. Have you tried doing an
update?
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<m3fdjhtiv8ebsj7r5q9t5913bj4eg174po@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36969&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36969

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 11:53:33 +0200
 by: Martin - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:53 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:28:00 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "Chris Green" <cl@isbd.net> wrote in message
>> > We have a pretty standard FreeView installation, a Humax box (with a
>> > good fast internet connection) with an (oldish) LG TV.
>> >
>> > If we press the "TV Portal" button on the remote we get BBC iPlayer
>> > but not ITV Hub or All 4 or anything else like that. Have we somehow
>> > 'removed' them or is it not possible to get these on FreeView? ... or
>> > is there anything else we need to do to get them?
>> >
>> Depends whether those services has bothered to write an app to run on your
>> box.
>>
>OK, but how would I know if they have written an app and do I have to
>do anything to 'install' it or should it just appear?

Do an update on your box.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<lgidjhpskg5uq78dq6i8lmc8uffkhi5eie@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36970&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36970

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 11:56:30 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:56 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:18:48 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>We have a pretty standard FreeView installation, a Humax box (with a
>good fast internet connection) with an (oldish) LG TV.
>
>If we press the "TV Portal" button on the remote we get BBC iPlayer
>but not ITV Hub or All 4 or anything else like that. Have we somehow
>'removed' them or is it not possible to get these on FreeView? ... or
>is there anything else we need to do to get them?

Just get an Amazon stick and you'll have none of this nonsense. It's a
streaming device designed for streaming, not an afterthought feature
of something else, and is updated at least once per week. There's a
price reduction of some Amazon gadgets at the moment, and the most
basic Fire TV stick is only 25 quid.

Rod.

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<ae275030-6276-9f6b-8b01-c809e9e2fc13@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36971&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36971

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 11:58:26 +0100
 by: Robin - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:58 UTC

On 30/09/2022 10:25, Chris Green wrote:
> Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
>> On 30/09/2022 09:18, Chris Green wrote:
>>> We have a pretty standard FreeView installation, a Humax box (with a
>>> good fast internet connection) with an (oldish) LG TV.
>>>
>>> If we press the "TV Portal" button on the remote we get BBC iPlayer
>>> but not ITV Hub or All 4 or anything else like that. Have we somehow
>>> 'removed' them or is it not possible to get these on FreeView? ... or
>>> is there anything else we need to do to get them?
>>>

>> Some Humax boxes (and other devices) lost the ITV Hub this week. If
>> yours is one of them then it's permanent.
>>
>> https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/itv-hub-removed-samsung-tvs/
>>
> Yes, when I searched I found those reports, but I don't think we've
> ever had ITV Hub or All 4 or anything other than BBC iPlayer.

What is the make and model of your Humax box? And - just in case - the
model of your LG TV?

--
Robin

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<th6imi$103m0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36973&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36973

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 12:08:01 +0100
 by: SH - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 11:08 UTC

On 30/09/2022 10:53, Martin wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:28:00 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
>> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> "Chris Green" <cl@isbd.net> wrote in message

>>> Depends whether those services has bothered to write an app to run on your
>>> box.
>>>
>> OK, but how would I know if they have written an app and do I have to
>> do anything to 'install' it or should it just appear?
>
> Do an update on your box.

And is there an App Store on the Humax? if so browse that?

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<a92j0j-b5kg.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36978&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36978

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 12:59:06 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 11:59 UTC

Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:
> On 30/09/2022 10:25, Chris Green wrote:
> > Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

> >> Some Humax boxes (and other devices) lost the ITV Hub this week. If
> >> yours is one of them then it's permanent.
> >>
> >> https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/itv-hub-removed-samsung-tvs/
> >>
> > Yes, when I searched I found those reports, but I don't think we've
> > ever had ITV Hub or All 4 or anything other than BBC iPlayer.
> >

> What is the make and model of your Humax box? And - just in case - the
> model of your LG TV?

Well, strangely enough, the make is Humax! :-)

The model is: HDR-2000T 1TB WD

The television is an LG 47LG6000.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<294ca650-866f-c62b-1862-624c2348a445@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36981&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36981

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:16:42 +0100
 by: Robin - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 12:16 UTC

On 30/09/2022 12:59, Chris Green wrote:
> Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, when I searched I found those reports, but I don't think we've
>>> ever had ITV Hub or All 4 or anything other than BBC iPlayer.
>>>

>> What is the make and model of your Humax box? And - just in case - the
>> model of your LG TV?
>>
> Well, strangely enough, the make is Humax! :-)

Good grief, I'd better wear my trousers rolled (and check I'm wearing
some before going out).

> The model is: HDR-2000T 1TB WD

I think that never had the ITV hub.

> The television is an LG 47LG6000.

Looks like you'll need a new device. But may be worth waiting for the
launch of the new ITV streaming service so you can check that straight
away that anything you buy works with it.
--
Robin

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<rv4j0j-1epg.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36982&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36982

From: cl...@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 13:45:15 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 12:45 UTC

Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:18:48 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> >We have a pretty standard FreeView installation, a Humax box (with a
> >good fast internet connection) with an (oldish) LG TV.
> >
> >If we press the "TV Portal" button on the remote we get BBC iPlayer
> >but not ITV Hub or All 4 or anything else like that. Have we somehow
> >'removed' them or is it not possible to get these on FreeView? ... or
> >is there anything else we need to do to get them?
>
> Just get an Amazon stick and you'll have none of this nonsense. It's a
> streaming device designed for streaming, not an afterthought feature
> of something else, and is updated at least once per week. There's a
> price reduction of some Amazon gadgets at the moment, and the most
> basic Fire TV stick is only 25 quid.

We already have a Fire TV stick and the interface is so awful we gave
up using it. I.e how do you turn it on, how do you turn it off, how
do you tell whether it's on (or not), etc.

I will dig it out and have another play with it.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<th6tf0$117oa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36984&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36984

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 15:11:43 +0100
 by: SH - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 14:11 UTC

On 30/09/2022 13:45, Chris Green wrote:
> Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 09:18:48 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>>
>>> We have a pretty standard FreeView installation, a Humax box (with a
>>> good fast internet connection) with an (oldish) LG TV.
>>>
>>> If we press the "TV Portal" button on the remote we get BBC iPlayer
>>> but not ITV Hub or All 4 or anything else like that. Have we somehow
>>> 'removed' them or is it not possible to get these on FreeView? ... or
>>> is there anything else we need to do to get them?
>>
>> Just get an Amazon stick and you'll have none of this nonsense. It's a
>> streaming device designed for streaming, not an afterthought feature
>> of something else, and is updated at least once per week. There's a
>> price reduction of some Amazon gadgets at the moment, and the most
>> basic Fire TV stick is only 25 quid.
>>
> We already have a Fire TV stick and the interface is so awful we gave
> up using it. I.e how do you turn it on, how do you turn it off, how
> do you tell whether it's on (or not), etc.
>
> I will dig it out and have another play with it.

Agree that FIrestick's UI is awful...

Take a look at Roku, we have these now on all of our tellys

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<20220930201300.72bca2476270d08f14a12820@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36989&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36989

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 20:13:00 +0100
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 30 Sep 2022 19:13 UTC

On Fri, 30 Sep 2022 10:39:22 +0100
alan_m <junk@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On 30/09/2022 09:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
> > I never did fathom the logic of restricting your market by not making the
> > modest investment in updating apps for popular devices, They will be playing
> > right into the hands of Amazons fire stick range of plug in USB or whatever
> > devices. If all these sites could get together and agree on the same way of
> > working a universal app could be produced, surely?
>
> Most of these types of things stop working because the broadcasters
> cannot resist the temptation to constantly change. Never buy a TV or STB
> based solely on the "smart" functions which may fail to work after a
> year or so.
>
> --
> mailto : news {at} admac {dot} myzen {dot} co {dot} uk

There is an open source package called MythTV.

I have been running it from my desktop Linux PC for many years.
About six years ago with the arrival of an HD smart TV I decided to
invest in a dedicated computer. I built it from scratch, adding a TBS
DVB-T2 TV signal collection card.

I am explaining this because apart from being able to receive broadcast
programmes and record those I select, I can use one or t'other browser
to access NetFlix, BBC iplayer and ITV Hub among many others.

The thing is apart from the hardware, it is all free and updated by
masses of contributors. It is available for Windows but an .exe is not
provided. You have to build it yourself.

Instructions are very detailed and patience helps (I wasn't so it took
longer).

It beats being dependent on some bright spark that thinks change =
progress.

If you have a not too old pc doing nothing ....

Best of luck.

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-124-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<3c58c316-5fad-4dd8-b996-f66bad5e269dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36998&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36998

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2022 14:52:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: pasteda...@gmail.com (David Paste)
 by: David Paste - Sat, 1 Oct 2022 21:52 UTC

On Friday, 30 September 2022 at 15:11:46 UTC+1, SH wrote:

> Agree that FIrestick's UI is awful...
>
> Take a look at Roku, we have these now on all of our tellys

My experience, too. Roku is good.

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<u6oijhd4m5f3lov8tmnq45okq39q88ua0k@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36999&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36999

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 11:01:53 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 10:01 UTC

On Sat, 1 Oct 2022 14:52:24 -0700 (PDT), David Paste
<pastedavid@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, 30 September 2022 at 15:11:46 UTC+1, SH wrote:
>
>> Agree that FIrestick's UI is awful...
>>
>> Take a look at Roku, we have these now on all of our tellys
>
>My experience, too. Roku is good.

I've just had a look at Roku. It seems the only one that can be
connected using ethernet is the expensive one that includes a
loudspeaker, which I wouldn't want. The others can only be connected
via wireless. They may be wonderful but wouldn't fit easily into my
system, so for now I'll just keep what I've got.

Rod.

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<5a31060f10bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37000&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37000

From: bob...@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 11:29:32 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 10:29 UTC

In article <u6oijhd4m5f3lov8tmnq45okq39q88ua0k@4ax.com>,
Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Oct 2022 14:52:24 -0700 (PDT), David Paste
> <pastedavid@gmail.com> wrote:

> >On Friday, 30 September 2022 at 15:11:46 UTC+1, SH wrote:
> >
> >> Agree that FIrestick's UI is awful...
> >>
> >> Take a look at Roku, we have these now on all of our tellys
> >
> >My experience, too. Roku is good.

> I've just had a look at Roku. It seems the only one that can be
> connected using ethernet is the expensive one that includes a
> loudspeaker, which I wouldn't want. The others can only be connected
> via wireless. They may be wonderful but wouldn't fit easily into my
> system, so for now I'll just keep what I've got.

I agree, I only use wi-fi for portable devices.

But you can also connect the Roku Express 4K device using a USB to
Ethernet adapter.

See this
https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/360058027813

I have a couple of the compatible UGREEN devices (Amazon) and they
work fine.

Bob.

Re: Can one get ITV Hub and/or All 4 on a Freeview box, if so how?

<rf2jjh9ul79qpl4b77hgv9hjtb2kiiuam6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37002&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37002

From: rjf...@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 13:55:11 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sun, 2 Oct 2022 12:55 UTC

On Sun, 02 Oct 2022 11:29:32 +0100, Bob Latham
<bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:

>In article <u6oijhd4m5f3lov8tmnq45okq39q88ua0k@4ax.com>,
> Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Sat, 1 Oct 2022 14:52:24 -0700 (PDT), David Paste
>> <pastedavid@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >My experience, too. Roku is good.
>
>> I've just had a look at Roku. It seems the only one that can be
>> connected using ethernet is the expensive one that includes a
>> loudspeaker, which I wouldn't want. The others can only be connected
>> via wireless. They may be wonderful but wouldn't fit easily into my
>> system, so for now I'll just keep what I've got.
>
>I agree, I only use wi-fi for portable devices.
>
>But you can also connect the Roku Express 4K device using a USB to
>Ethernet adapter.
>
>See this
>https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/360058027813
>
>I have a couple of the compatible UGREEN devices (Amazon) and they
>work fine.
>
>Bob.

Thanks. That wasn't clear from a cursory inspection of the Roku
website. I might give it a bit more thought.

Rod.