"It's a summons." "What's a summons?" "It means summon's in trouble." -- Rocky and Bullwinkle

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

SubjectAuthor
* DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acreMB
`* DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits theMB
 +* DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factorScott
 |`- DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visitsRecliner
 `* DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factorKen
  +* DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits theMB
  |`- DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visitsMarland
  +* DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factorGraham Harrison
> [...]
  | `- DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits theMB
  +- DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visitsMarland
  +* DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits thehounslow3@yahoo.co.uk
  |`- DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits theMB
  `* DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits theRoger Lynn
   `* DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factorRoland Perry
    `* DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits theMB
     +* DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visitsMarland
     |`* DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factorCharles Ellson
     | `- DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factorRoland Perry
     `- DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factorRoland Perry

Pages:123
Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

<tcu1om$1ee2r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36218&group=uk.railway#36218

From: rai...@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 17:24:54 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 16:24 UTC

On 09/08/2022 16:59, Marland wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So yesterday's bus programme did mention that the rolling chassis arrived
>> from China. I already knew that was the case, but hadn't realised that they
>> arrived fully assembled, with batteries charged, and could be driven
>> straight off the transporter, once the covers over the cab area were pulled
>> back. Even the instrument panel is in place. Of course, we saw and heard
>> nothing of the BYD factory in China.
>>
> One time it was quite common to see bus chassis from a manufacturer being
> driven on trade plates along the roads of Britain to one of the firms that
> added the coach work .The drivers protection
> consisting of a board in front of their legs and a heavy coat though the
> last time I saw one the driver had chosen to wear clothing designed for
> riding motorcycles including helmet .

Used to see them heading down to Southampton dressed like that.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

<tcu4bv$1enu6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36225&group=uk.railway#36225

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 18:09:19 +0100
 by: MB - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 17:09 UTC

On 09/08/2022 11:04, Recliner wrote:
> I had wondered how they delivered the electric buses to London from
> Scarborough, and it turned out they're accepted by the bus company (RATP)
> in Scarborough, and driven straight to London by RATP drivers, with just
> one recharging stop halfway. They look like they're ready to go straight
> into service. I might go along and try one out, after this heatwave is over
> (they're not airconditioned).

I can remember that it used to be a regular sight to see bus chassis
being driven around on the road.

Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

<d095fhdg7j36ap4iirhf94rprfgdqj2gm5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36232&group=uk.railway#36232

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 19:16:13 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 18:16 UTC

On 9 Aug 2022 15:59:30 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
wrote:

>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> So yesterday's bus programme did mention that the rolling chassis arrived
>> from China. I already knew that was the case, but hadn't realised that they
>> arrived fully assembled, with batteries charged, and could be driven
>> straight off the transporter, once the covers over the cab area were pulled
>> back. Even the instrument panel is in place. Of course, we saw and heard
>> nothing of the BYD factory in China.
>>
>One time it was quite common to see bus chassis from a manufacturer being
>driven on trade plates along the roads of Britain to one of the firms that
>added the coach work .The drivers protection
>consisting of a board in front of their legs and a heavy coat though the
>last time I saw one the driver had chosen to wear clothing designed for
>riding motorcycles including helmet .

They used to drive past where I first lived, presumably between Park
Royal and Aldenham ?
<snip>

Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

<jlfn92Fj81uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36233&group=uk.railway#36233

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits
Date: 9 Aug 2022 18:27:46 GMT
<jlfej2Fhrs7U1@mid.individual.net>
<tcu1cs$1ecob$2@dont-email.me>
 by: Marland - Tue, 9 Aug 2022 18:27 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I had wondered how they delivered the electric buses to London from
>>> Scarborough, and it turned out they're accepted by the bus company (RATP)
>>> in Scarborough, and driven straight to London by RATP drivers,
>>
>> Ironical really as the programme mentioned the red colour of Londons buses
>> as originating with the London General company whose origin was in Paris.
>>

> Interesting, I didn't know that.

I believe it was because of the success of the similar sounding operation
“Compagnie générale des omnibus “already established in Paris who had been
granted a long concession to operate in the French Capital that lead
others to look at the London Market and initially set up
the Anglo-French company “Compagnie Generale des Omnibus de Londres,”

The London Transport museum has or had when I last visited exhibited a
plaque with the French name though I don’t if it came from the French
office or a London one.

<https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/signs/item/1992-371>

GH

Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

<f78osi-0aq.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36856&group=uk.railway#36856

From: use...@rilynn.me.uk (Roger Lynn)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 23:06:07 +0100
 by: Roger Lynn - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 22:06 UTC

On 07/08/2022 22:16, Recliner wrote:
> They only film in (agreeable) British factories, and I think that few of
> the components of that train are British, so they had to make do with a UK
> factory processing a raw material of a type that the train is built from,
> rather than a factory in the actual Aventra supply chain.

They've done a few foreign factories, including (I think) a Dutch mayonnaise
factory and a German pencil factory (probably with Cherry Healey in Keswick).

Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

<n78osi-1aq.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36857&group=uk.railway#36857

From: use...@rilynn.me.uk (Roger Lynn)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 23:06:15 +0100

On 02/08/2022 09:34, Ken wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 06:41:26 +0100, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>>I found the footage of the local aluminium smelter the most interesting
>>part of the programme. Trying to remember how many millions Sturgeon has
>>given the Indian billionaire who owns it.
>>
> I found Wallace far more annoying than usual. The train puns elivered
> in a silly voice made me want to throw something at the tele.

That's normal for his "Inside the Factory" programmes.

> I agree that the smelter part was interesting but it seemed out of
> place, a disjoint makeweight.

That's also normal. What always surprises me (but shouldn't) is a Master
Chef judge raving about factories manufacturing junk food.

Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

<tdc1rd$3akbh$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36859&group=uk.railway#36859

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 23:52:13 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:TqWtwqarhHKGn7H01douRnIDzo0=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 14 Aug 2022 23:52 UTC

Roger Lynn <usenet@rilynn.me.uk> wrote:
> On 07/08/2022 22:16, Recliner wrote:
>> They only film in (agreeable) British factories, and I think that few of
>> the components of that train are British, so they had to make do with a UK
>> factory processing a raw material of a type that the train is built from,
>> rather than a factory in the actual Aventra supply chain.
>
> They've done a few foreign factories, including (I think) a Dutch mayonnaise
> factory and a German pencil factory (probably with Cherry Healey in Keswick).

But not when filming inside a British factory.

Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

<qYAvQG$oiz+iFAGm@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36948&group=uk.railway#36948

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 07:26:48 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 06:26 UTC

In message <n78osi-1aq.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk>, at 23:06:15 on Sun, 14
Aug 2022, Roger Lynn <usenet@rilynn.me.uk> remarked:
>On 02/08/2022 09:34, Ken wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 06:41:26 +0100, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>>>I found the footage of the local aluminium smelter the most
>>>interesting part of the programme. Trying to remember how many
>>>millions Sturgeon has given the Indian billionaire who owns it.
>>>
>> I found Wallace far more annoying than usual. The train puns elivered
>> in a silly voice made me want to throw something at the tele.
>
>That's normal for his "Inside the Factory" programmes.
>
>> I agree that the smelter part was interesting but it seemed out of
>> place, a disjoint makeweight.
>
>That's also normal. What always surprises me (but shouldn't) is a
>Master Chef judge raving about factories manufacturing junk food.

Perhaps he approves of the way easily available junk food keeps the
plebs out of the posher restaurants.

Talking of which we went last night to what used to be one of the best
restaurants locally, and the food was terrible. Tesco ready meal or
worse. Maybe it's changed hands (just a terrible new chef must have been
spotted by the previously excellent management), but the contrast was
astonishing. Won't be going back.
--
Roland Perry

Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

<tdfioa$kto$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36952&group=uk.railway#36952

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 08:59:05 +0100
 by: MB - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 07:59 UTC

On 16/08/2022 07:26, Roland Perry wrote:
> Perhaps he approves of the way easily available junk food keeps the
> plebs out of the posher restaurants.
>
> Talking of which we went last night to what used to be one of the best
> restaurants locally, and the food was terrible. Tesco ready meal or
> worse. Maybe it's changed hands (just a terrible new chef must have been
> spotted by the previously excellent management), but the contrast was
> astonishing. Won't be going back.

Some chefs are snobs but I have heard others say that they liked some
very ordinary things that some might call 'junk food'. Trying to
remember if it was someone on TV or a friend who was a trained chef, who
said he liked and the end of a busy day to sit in front of the TV
dipping fish fingers in a jar of Tartar Sauce!

I remember many years a TV programme, went around the back of some posh
restaurants in Brighton, retrieving boxes from dustbins. They then
asked customers leaving the restaurants whether they had enjoyed their
meals before showing the boxes of various catering 'boil in the bag' dishes.

Some were shocked but many just wanted to know where they could buy them
to use themselves!

Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

<jm1cobFbn9kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36968&group=uk.railway#36968

From: gemeha...@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 16 Aug 2022 11:18:35 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 11:18 UTC

MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 16/08/2022 07:26, Roland Perry wrote:
>> Perhaps he approves of the way easily available junk food keeps the
>> plebs out of the posher restaurants.
>>
>> Talking of which we went last night to what used to be one of the best
>> restaurants locally, and the food was terrible. Tesco ready meal or
>> worse. Maybe it's changed hands (just a terrible new chef must have been
>> spotted by the previously excellent management), but the contrast was
>> astonishing. Won't be going back.
>
> Some chefs are snobs but I have heard others say that they liked some
> very ordinary things that some might call 'junk food'. Trying to
> remember if it was someone on TV or a friend who was a trained chef, who
> said he liked and the end of a busy day to sit in front of the TV
> dipping fish fingers in a jar of Tartar Sauce!

Probably not too unusual, I have known several Chefs and other staff who
having spent a long shift serving customers and then tidying the kitchen
just want to chill out in the hour or two before going to bed at a time
later than most. Sending out for a Pizza or Chinese that they can just get
on and eat
with minimal washing up afterwards means an extra 30 -40 mins watching the
telly rather rather than remaining in the work environment of their
kitchen.

GH

Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

<de6ofh5c92h68bg1iohg95pobaegurnvke@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37024&group=uk.railway#37024

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 23:34:35 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 22:34 UTC

On 16 Aug 2022 11:18:35 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
wrote:

>MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 16/08/2022 07:26, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> Perhaps he approves of the way easily available junk food keeps the
>>> plebs out of the posher restaurants.
>>>
>>> Talking of which we went last night to what used to be one of the best
>>> restaurants locally, and the food was terrible. Tesco ready meal or
>>> worse. Maybe it's changed hands (just a terrible new chef must have been
>>> spotted by the previously excellent management), but the contrast was
>>> astonishing. Won't be going back.
>>
>> Some chefs are snobs but I have heard others say that they liked some
>> very ordinary things that some might call 'junk food'. Trying to
>> remember if it was someone on TV or a friend who was a trained chef, who
>> said he liked and the end of a busy day to sit in front of the TV
>> dipping fish fingers in a jar of Tartar Sauce!
>>

>Probably not too unusual, I have known several Chefs and other staff who
>having spent a long shift serving customers and then tidying the kitchen
>just want to chill out in the hour or two before going to bed at a time
>later than most. Sending out for a Pizza or Chinese that they can just get
>on and eat
>with minimal washing up afterwards means an extra 30 -40 mins watching the
>telly rather rather than remaining in the work environment of their
>kitchen.

There is simple food and there is genuine junk food which has had the
nutrition processed out of it. Much of what is in supermarkets can
easily be the ingredients of something a bit more fancy; ISTR over the
years that more than one chef has demonstrated turning a ready meal
into something posher/bigger/tastier with relatively few and cheap
ingredients.

Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

<FRz0iqrjGP$iFAKo@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37064&group=uk.railway#37064

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 14:48:19 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 13:48 UTC

In message <tdfioa$kto$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:59:05 on Tue, 16 Aug
2022, MB <MB@nospam.net> remarked:
>On 16/08/2022 07:26, Roland Perry wrote:
>> Perhaps he approves of the way easily available junk food keeps the
>> plebs out of the posher restaurants.
>> Talking of which we went last night to what used to be one of the
>>best
>> restaurants locally, and the food was terrible. Tesco ready meal or
>> worse. Maybe it's changed hands (just a terrible new chef must have been
>> spotted by the previously excellent management), but the contrast was
>> astonishing. Won't be going back.
>
>Some chefs are snobs but I have heard others say that they liked some
>very ordinary things that some might call 'junk food'. Trying to
>remember if it was someone on TV or a friend who was a trained chef,
>who said he liked and the end of a busy day to sit in front of the TV
>dipping fish fingers in a jar of Tartar Sauce!
>
>I remember many years a TV programme, went around the back of some posh
>restaurants in Brighton, retrieving boxes from dustbins. They then
>asked customers leaving the restaurants whether they had enjoyed their
>meals before showing the boxes of various catering 'boil in the bag'
>dishes.
>
>Some were shocked but many just wanted to know where they could buy
>them to use themselves!

The answer to that is "at the local cash and carry", assuming they are
still accepting members of the public as customers.
--
Roland Perry

Re: DOCUMENTARY: Inside the Factory - Gregg Wallace visits the 84-acre Alstom factory site in Derby to learn about the construction of a 187-ton five-carriage electric train

<ygIpeEsMKP$iFAOn@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37065&group=uk.railway#37065

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 14:52:12 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 13:52 UTC

In message <de6ofh5c92h68bg1iohg95pobaegurnvke@4ax.com>, at 23:34:35 on
Tue, 16 Aug 2022, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com>
remarked:
>On 16 Aug 2022 11:18:35 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

>>> Some chefs are snobs but I have heard others say that they liked some
>>> very ordinary things that some might call 'junk food'. Trying to
>>> remember if it was someone on TV or a friend who was a trained chef, who
>>> said he liked and the end of a busy day to sit in front of the TV
>>> dipping fish fingers in a jar of Tartar Sauce!
>>
>>Probably not too unusual, I have known several Chefs and other staff
>>who having spent a long shift serving customers and then tidying the
>>kitchen just want to chill out in the hour or two before going to bed
>>at a time later than most. Sending out for a Pizza or Chinese that
>>they can just get on and eat with minimal washing up afterwards means
>>an extra 30 -40 mins watching the telly rather rather than remaining
>>in the work environment of their kitchen.
>>
>There is simple food and there is genuine junk food which has had the
>nutrition processed out of it. Much of what is in supermarkets can
>easily be the ingredients of something a bit more fancy; ISTR over the
>years that more than one chef has demonstrated turning a ready meal
>into something posher/bigger/tastier with relatively few and cheap
>ingredients.

A very long time ago, one of my series of girlfriends [yes, I know] was
a qualified Cordon Bleu chef, although she was in a completely different
industry when I met her, and what she could produce out of thin air was
amazing. Although not something I was particularly looking for as a life
skill at the time.
--
Roland Perry