From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Strikes again
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 07:59:10 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 18 Aug 2022 06:59 UTC

This must be the fourth or fifth time that people planning on visiting
me by train this summer (or me visiting them) has been sabotaged by the
unions.

Not the kind of trip you can "do next week instead" or "work from home
instead", but linked to specific events in the real world, often booked
months ago.

Today it's the XC service from Birmingham to Stansted, which has been
truncated to Birmingham-Leicester and then only 8am to 4pm.

Friday almost as bad - same hours, but only getting as far as
Peterborough.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Strikes again

<tdkpuh$tg78$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37114&group=uk.railway#37114

From: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Strikes again
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 08:32:33 +0100
 by: martin.c...@round-midnight.org.uk - Thu, 18 Aug 2022 07:32 UTC

On 18/08/2022 07:59, Roland Perry wrote:
> This must be the fourth or fifth time that people planning on visiting
> me by train this summer (or me visiting them) has been sabotaged by the
> unions.
>
> Not the kind of trip you can "do next week instead" or "work from home
> instead", but linked to specific events in the real world, often booked
> months ago.
>
> Today it's the XC service from Birmingham to Stansted, which has been
> truncated to Birmingham-Leicester and then only 8am to 4pm.
>
> Friday almost as bad - same hours, but only getting as far as Peterborough.
There's a T3 Possession in Dawlish so at least that's one other day when
the line wont be closed.

Re: Strikes again

<tdlmnp$13et6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37181&group=uk.railway#37181

From: usenet.t...@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 15:43:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:oc2xgcaLt3DOQwRi+YivmyjCei0=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 18 Aug 2022 15:43 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> This must be the fourth or fifth time that people planning on visiting
> me by train this summer (or me visiting them) has been sabotaged by the
> unions.
>
> Not the kind of trip you can "do next week instead" or "work from home
> instead", but linked to specific events in the real world, often booked
> months ago.
>
> Today it's the XC service from Birmingham to Stansted, which has been
> truncated to Birmingham-Leicester and then only 8am to 4pm.
>
> Friday almost as bad - same hours, but only getting as far as
> Peterborough.

Bad luck. Use a car.

I was surprised to see an Avanti train on the track next to the motorway I
was in today. I thought they were now vanishingly available on non strike
days let alone today.

Re: Strikes again

<BOwFVqltiz$iFALv@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37262&group=uk.railway#37262

From: rol...@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2022 08:15:57 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 19 Aug 2022 07:15 UTC

In message <tdlmnp$13et6$1@dont-email.me>, at 15:43:53 on Thu, 18 Aug
2022, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> This must be the fourth or fifth time that people planning on visiting
>> me by train this summer (or me visiting them) has been sabotaged by the
>> unions.
>>
>> Not the kind of trip you can "do next week instead" or "work from home
>> instead", but linked to specific events in the real world, often booked
>> months ago.
>>
>> Today it's the XC service from Birmingham to Stansted, which has been
>> truncated to Birmingham-Leicester and then only 8am to 4pm.
>>
>> Friday almost as bad - same hours, but only getting as far as
>> Peterborough.
>
>Bad luck. Use a car.

The would-be traveler doesn't have a car. Although if this goes on much
longer, I think they may buy one, and never use a train again. That'll
cheer the RMT up.

>I was surprised to see an Avanti train on the track next to the motorway I
>was in today. I thought they were now vanishingly available on non strike
>days let alone today.

I'm sure you can find it on RTT. Perhaps it was one of these:

<https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/detailed/gb-nr:OXN/2022-08-18/1
030-1630?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=VT>

Were the Avanti drivers actually on strike, or just the RMT signallers?
--
Roland Perry