Dry clean only.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Briang back videotape

SubjectAuthor
* Briang back videotapeBrian Gaff
+* Re: Briang back videotapeMax Demian
|+* Re: Briang back videotapeJava Jive
||`- Re: Briang back videotapeBrian Gaff
|+* Re: Briang back videotapeRobin
||+* Re: Briang back videotapeMax Demian
|||`- Re: Briang back videotapeDave W
||`* Re: Briang back videotapeBrian Gaff
|| `- Re: Briang back videotapeAndy Burns
|`- Re: Briang back videotapeBrian Gaff
+- Re: Briang back videotapethe dog from that film you saw
`* Re: Briang back videotapeDavid Wade
 `* Re: Briang back videotapeMark Carver
  `- Re: Briang back videotapeNY

1
Briang back videotape

<tgp936$39tfe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36888&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36888

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Briang back videotape
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 11:04:22 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 10:04 UTC

Well why not. You can record on it. There does seem to have been in recent
years a concentrated push by media providers to not let you have the program
content portably locally. It matters not if its radio, tv or whatever. I
find the subscription model very limiting, since you have no media and thus
cannot listen or watch it elsewhere.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Briang back videotape

<tgpg5l$3amfu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36890&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36890

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Briang back videotape
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 13:05:08 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:05 UTC

On 25/09/2022 11:04, Brian Gaff wrote:

> Well why not. You can record on it. There does seem to have been in recent
> years a concentrated push by media providers to not let you have the program
> content portably locally. It matters not if its radio, tv or whatever. I
> find the subscription model very limiting, since you have no media and thus
> cannot listen or watch it elsewhere.

Or recordable DVD. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder with a T2 Freeview
tuner and HDD. I record onto HDD, edit out the ads (or top and tail if
no ads) and burn to DVD-R or DVD-RW depending on whether I think I will
want to keep to recoding (for ever).

For radio programmes I record them from Freeview with my Humax Fox,
transfer them via USB stick to my laptop, edit and convert to MP3 with
NCH WavePad, then (perhaps) upload to MP3 player or phone.

--
Max Demian

Re: Briang back videotape

<tgphfn$3aqpi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36893&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36893

From: jav...@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 13:27:32 +0100
 by: Java Jive - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 12:27 UTC

On 25/09/2022 13:05, Max Demian wrote:

> On 25/09/2022 11:04, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>> Well why not. You can record on it. There does seem to have been in
>> recent years a concentrated push by media providers to not let you
>> have the program content portably locally. It matters not if its
>> radio, tv or whatever. I find the subscription model very limiting,
>> since  you have no media and thus cannot listen or watch it elsewhere.

Well, you can, but it depends on exactly what you want to do. For
example, I can copy music to USB storage to listen to it in the car, and
I can play video or music by my bedside using a cheap, second-hand
network media player connected to a TV and/or stereo system as appropriate.

> Or recordable DVD. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder with a T2 Freeview
> tuner and HDD. I record onto HDD, edit out the ads (or top and tail if
> no ads) and burn to DVD-R or DVD-RW depending on whether I think I will
> want to keep to recoding (for ever).
>
> For radio programmes I record them from Freeview with my Humax Fox,
> transfer them via USB stick to my laptop, edit and convert to MP3 with
> NCH WavePad, then (perhaps) upload to MP3 player or phone.

Or better still, just a hard disk with an ongoing backup system to other
hard disks. My entire media library has been on NAS for years now, why
the need for less reliable means of storage such as tape or CD/DVD? I
can play VHSs, CDs, DVDs, MDs, ACs, LPs, etc, all without ever needing
to touch the original media, which are packed away in boxes, and I can
record anything new I want using a PC, do any editing required, and then
copy it to the NAS.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Briang back videotape

<%PYXK.353966$vFVf.127175@fx02.ams1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36895&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36895

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: dsb...@REMOVETHISbtinternet.com (the dog from that film you saw)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 14:36:58 +0100
 by: the dog from that fi - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 13:36 UTC

On 25/09/2022 11:04, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Well why not. You can record on it. There does seem to have been in recent
> years a concentrated push by media providers to not let you have the program
> content portably locally. It matters not if its radio, tv or whatever. I
> find the subscription model very limiting, since you have no media and thus
> cannot listen or watch it elsewhere.
> Brian

i'd imagine the main reason being that it looked awful and degraded with
use.

Re: Briang back videotape

<b6a79745-df0a-e69b-2668-217a0919ef0e@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36897&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36897

From: rbw...@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 15:47:22 +0100
 by: Robin - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 14:47 UTC

On 25/09/2022 13:05, Max Demian wrote:
> On 25/09/2022 11:04, Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> Well why not. You can record on it. There does seem to have been in
>> recent
>> years a concentrated push by media providers to not let you have the
>> program
>> content portably locally. It matters not if its radio, tv or whatever. I
>> find the subscription model very limiting, since  you have no media
>> and thus
>> cannot listen or watch it elsewhere.
>
> Or recordable DVD. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder with a T2 Freeview
> tuner and HDD. I record onto HDD, edit out the ads (or top and tail if
> no ads) and burn to DVD-R or DVD-RW depending on whether I think I will
> want to keep to recoding (for ever).

In HD or only in SD? I thought one needed to use a computer to capture
and save in HD anything one might want to play back on a different device.

--
Robin

Re: Briang back videotape

<tgprp3$3bkuu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36898&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36898

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 16:23:16 +0100
 by: David Wade - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 15:23 UTC

On 25/09/2022 11:04, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Well why not. You can record on it. There does seem to have been in recent
> years a concentrated push by media providers to not let you have the program
> content portably locally. It matters not if its radio, tv or whatever. I
> find the subscription model very limiting, since you have no media and thus
> cannot listen or watch it elsewhere.
> Brian

Not sure about that. Both my Panasonic TVs record to a portable USB device.

Dave

Re: Briang back videotape

<tgpsu5$3bnm7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36899&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36899

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2022 16:43:01 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 25 Sep 2022 15:43 UTC

On 25/09/2022 15:47, Robin wrote:
> On 25/09/2022 13:05, Max Demian wrote:
>> On 25/09/2022 11:04, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> Well why not. You can record on it. There does seem to have been in
>>> recent
>>> years a concentrated push by media providers to not let you have the
>>> program
>>> content portably locally. It matters not if its radio, tv or whatever. I
>>> find the subscription model very limiting, since  you have no media
>>> and thus
>>> cannot listen or watch it elsewhere.
>>
>> Or recordable DVD. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder with a T2 Freeview
>> tuner and HDD. I record onto HDD, edit out the ads (or top and tail if
>> no ads) and burn to DVD-R or DVD-RW depending on whether I think I
>> will want to keep to recoding (for ever).
>>

> In HD or only in SD?  I thought one needed to use a computer to capture
> and save in HD anything one might want to play back on a different device.

DVDs are SD. Panasonic so (or did) make a Blu-ray version (for extra
wonga). I find SD (from a good signal source) adequate for viewing on my
32" TV with upscaling (by the recorder or the TV). In any case, usually
I only record DVDs so I don't have to watch them. And the original HD
version is on the DVDR's HDD (with optional subtitles).

--
Max Demian

Re: Briang back videotape

<tgrr2h$3n20m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36905&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36905

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:23:28 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 09:23 UTC

Yes where are the just press record situations. As I say its been made
deliberately difficult.

Brian

--

--:
"Max Demian" <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On 25/09/2022 11:04, Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> Well why not. You can record on it. There does seem to have been in
>> recent
>> years a concentrated push by media providers to not let you have the
>> program
>> content portably locally. It matters not if its radio, tv or whatever. I
>> find the subscription model very limiting, since you have no media and
>> thus
>> cannot listen or watch it elsewhere.
>
> Or recordable DVD. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder with a T2 Freeview
> tuner and HDD. I record onto HDD, edit out the ads (or top and tail if no
> ads) and burn to DVD-R or DVD-RW depending on whether I think I will want
> to keep to recoding (for ever).
>
> For radio programmes I record them from Freeview with my Humax Fox,
> transfer them via USB stick to my laptop, edit and convert to MP3 with NCH
> WavePad, then (perhaps) upload to MP3 player or phone.
>
> --
> Max Demian

Re: Briang back videotape

<tgrr62$3n2bq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36906&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36906

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:25:20 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 09:25 UTC

I think you have missed the point for the average user here.
Brian

--

--:
"Java Jive" <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote in message
> On 25/09/2022 13:05, Max Demian wrote:
>>
>> On 25/09/2022 11:04, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>>
>>> Well why not. You can record on it. There does seem to have been in
>>> recent years a concentrated push by media providers to not let you
>>> have the program content portably locally. It matters not if its
>>> radio, tv or whatever. I find the subscription model very limiting,
>>> since you have no media and thus cannot listen or watch it elsewhere.
>
> Well, you can, but it depends on exactly what you want to do. For
> example, I can copy music to USB storage to listen to it in the car, and I
> can play video or music by my bedside using a cheap, second-hand network
> media player connected to a TV and/or stereo system as appropriate.
>
>> Or recordable DVD. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder with a T2 Freeview
>> tuner and HDD. I record onto HDD, edit out the ads (or top and tail if no
>> ads) and burn to DVD-R or DVD-RW depending on whether I think I will want
>> to keep to recoding (for ever).
>>
>> For radio programmes I record them from Freeview with my Humax Fox,
>> transfer them via USB stick to my laptop, edit and convert to MP3 with
>> NCH WavePad, then (perhaps) upload to MP3 player or phone.
>
> Or better still, just a hard disk with an ongoing backup system to other
> hard disks. My entire media library has been on NAS for years now, why
> the need for less reliable means of storage such as tape or CD/DVD? I can
> play VHSs, CDs, DVDs, MDs, ACs, LPs, etc, all without ever needing to
> touch the original media, which are packed away in boxes, and I can record
> anything new I want using a PC, do any editing required, and then copy it
> to the NAS.
>
> --
>
> Fake news kills!
>
> I may be contacted via the contact address given on my website:
> www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Briang back videotape

<tgrrcn$3n2nf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36907&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36907

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:28:54 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 09:28 UTC

I also see the demise of DVD very soon now if the industry has their way,
though blue ray seems to be being increasingly used for large works of audio
in multiple formats ie Dolby Atmos original, Stereo remix and cutting room
floor crap and unissued tracks etc, even commentaries by one of the band
members and bits of video.

Brian

--

--:
"Robin" <rbw@outlook.com> wrote in message
> On 25/09/2022 13:05, Max Demian wrote:
>> On 25/09/2022 11:04, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>
>>> Well why not. You can record on it. There does seem to have been in
>>> recent
>>> years a concentrated push by media providers to not let you have the
>>> program
>>> content portably locally. It matters not if its radio, tv or whatever. I
>>> find the subscription model very limiting, since you have no media and
>>> thus
>>> cannot listen or watch it elsewhere.
>>
>> Or recordable DVD. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder with a T2 Freeview
>> tuner and HDD. I record onto HDD, edit out the ads (or top and tail if no
>> ads) and burn to DVD-R or DVD-RW depending on whether I think I will want
>> to keep to recoding (for ever).
>>

> In HD or only in SD? I thought one needed to use a computer to capture
> and save in HD anything one might want to play back on a different device.
>
> --
> Robin
> reply-to address is (intended to be) valid

Re: Briang back videotape

<jpdm4fFkpctU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36911&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36911

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 14:01:03 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 13:01 UTC

On 25/09/2022 16:23, David Wade wrote:
> On 25/09/2022 11:04, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> Well why not. You can record on it. There does seem to have been in
>> recent
>> years a concentrated push by media providers to not let you have the
>> program
>> content portably locally. It matters not if its radio, tv or whatever. I
>> find the subscription model very limiting, since  you have no media
>> and thus
>> cannot listen or watch it elsewhere.
>>   Brian
>>
> Not sure about that. Both my Panasonic TVs record to a portable USB
> device.

Yes. Programme storage and exchange is file based. That's 'trickled
down' <phrase of the week> into the consumer domain.

It's nuts to suggest a return to tape, (or wire !)

Re: Briang back videotape

<jpe4f1FmuieU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36913&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36913

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 18:05:37 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Mon, 26 Sep 2022 17:05 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> I also see the demise of DVD very soon now

I think you've got your crystal ball the wrong way round

Re: Briang back videotape

<2eacnf7tM5sjWqj-nZ2dnZfqn_Vj4p2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=36953&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#36953

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 17:28:44 +0100
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: NY - Thu, 29 Sep 2022 16:28 UTC

On 26/09/2022 14:01, Mark Carver wrote:
> Yes. Programme storage and exchange is file based. That's 'trickled
> down' <phrase of the week> into the consumer domain.
>
> It's nuts to suggest a return to tape, (or wire !)

File-based has the very big advantages that it allows random access,
allows copying from one place to another at faster than real time speed,
and allows unwanted bits (continuity and commercials) to be edited out.

I wouldn't want to go back to watching TV from a sequential medium such
as a tape. I still have a VHS VCR, but in the past 15 years I've only
used it for copying old VHS (home movie or recorded off-air) tapes to
MPG or other digital format.

Re: Briang back videotape

<69tikhhul0ko8b2mpjvo52cg0dvehhos5s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37119&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37119

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2022 15:44:06 +0100
 by: Dave W - Fri, 14 Oct 2022 14:44 UTC

On Sun, 25 Sep 2022 16:43:01 +0100, Max Demian
<max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>On 25/09/2022 15:47, Robin wrote:

>>> Or recordable DVD. I have a Panasonic DVD recorder with a T2 Freeview
>>> tuner and HDD. I record onto HDD, edit out the ads (or top and tail if
>>> no ads) and burn to DVD-R or DVD-RW depending on whether I think I
>>> will want to keep to recoding (for ever).
>>>

>> In HD or only in SD?  I thought one needed to use a computer to capture
>> and save in HD anything one might want to play back on a different device.
>

>DVDs are SD. Panasonic so (or did) make a Blu-ray version (for extra
>wonga). I find SD (from a good signal source) adequate for viewing on my
>32" TV with upscaling (by the recorder or the TV). In any case, usually
>I only record DVDs so I don't have to watch them. And the original HD
>version is on the DVDR's HDD (with optional subtitles).
You made me laugh there. You could cut out one more operation by not
recording the DVDs in the first place.
--
Dave W