From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Upgrading a W7 system to W10 - NOT clean install
Date: 22 Jul 2023 15:33:48 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 15:33 UTC

Just checking.

I am on a W10 machine creating W10 install media on a USB stick.

The Microsoft web page says to boot from this stick and then install.

It is not clear if this will give me the option to upgrade, or if it will
only offer a clean install.

I have for the moment abandoned the attempt to run the upgrade from within
W7 because of apparent TLS issues.

If someone has done an upgrade of a working system using external media I
would be reassured.

TIA

Dave R

--
Dell Latitude 7280 with Full HD and Thunderbolt (woo hoo)

Re: Upgrading a W7 system to W10 - NOT clean install

<u9h26d$3srq6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3724&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3724

From: fre...@fredsmith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Upgrading a W7 system to W10 - NOT clean install
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 18:04:13 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 17:04 UTC

On 22/07/2023 16:33, David wrote:
> Just checking.
>
> I am on a W10 machine creating W10 install media on a USB stick.
>
> The Microsoft web page says to boot from this stick and then install.
>
> It is not clear if this will give me the option to upgrade, or if it will
> only offer a clean install.
>
> I have for the moment abandoned the attempt to run the upgrade from within
> W7 because of apparent TLS issues.
>
> If someone has done an upgrade of a working system using external media I
> would be reassured.
>
> TIA
>

> Dave R

I was not aware that you could upgrade to W10 from "within W7"

Boot from the stick and you will be given the option to upgrade and keep
your files.

Just dont delete any partitions on the disc - let W10 sort it out for you

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Upgrading a W7 system to W10 - NOT clean install

<ki2jl6F9u10U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3725&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3725

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 22 Jul 2023 17:57:58 GMT
 by: David - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 17:57 UTC

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023 18:04:13 +0100, Abandoned_Trolley wrote:

> On 22/07/2023 16:33, David wrote:
>> Just checking.
>>
>> I am on a W10 machine creating W10 install media on a USB stick.
>>
>> The Microsoft web page says to boot from this stick and then install.
>>
>> It is not clear if this will give me the option to upgrade, or if it
>> will only offer a clean install.
>>
>> I have for the moment abandoned the attempt to run the upgrade from
>> within W7 because of apparent TLS issues.
>>
>> If someone has done an upgrade of a working system using external media
>> I would be reassured.
>>
>> TIA
>>

>> Dave R
>>

> I was not aware that you could upgrade to W10 from "within W7"
>

> Boot from the stick and you will be given the option to upgrade and keep
> your files.
>
> Just dont delete any partitions on the disc - let W10 sort it out for
> you

Well, here's a thing.
If you don't boot from the stick, but run "setup.exe" within W7 it does an
in situ upgrade!

About to update my signature to reflect my new OS.

I copied the contents of the boot USB stick to my internal SSD (seems to
me that would be faster during the install) and then ran the upgrade.

It all went remarkably smoothly.
Not many programmes found to be out of date.
Now we shall see how well/badly it went.

Cheers

Dave R