From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Missing doc. Martin
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 22:22:41 +0100
 by: Dave W - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 21:22 UTC

On Thu, 27 Oct 2022 12:44:42 +0100, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
wrote:
>I had the final episode of Doc. Martin set up to record on my Humax
>last night, but this morning there was no sign of it, not even the
>"...but failed to record ..." message that I often see, with a
>recorded time of 0 mins. shown.
>
>So I went to the ITV Hub, and it was in the listings, but was not
>available on request to play. It showed some adverts, of course,
>at 100 mph. There was no explanation.
>
>Does anyone know what happened?
I've just watched my Humax recording of it off Freesat. I also got the
'failed to record due to a clash', which I sometimes get but it was a
lie. It's also available on ITV Hub - perhaps you didn't allow enough
time after the broadcast.
--
Dave W

Re: Missing doc. Martin

<tjevmj$2rvrg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37254&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37254

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2022 23:11:27 +0100
 by: Davey - Thu, 27 Oct 2022 22:11 UTC

On Thu, 27 Oct 2022 22:22:41 +0100
Dave W <davewi11@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Oct 2022 12:44:42 +0100, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >I had the final episode of Doc. Martin set up to record on my Humax
> >last night, but this morning there was no sign of it, not even the
> >"...but failed to record ..." message that I often see, with a
> >recorded time of 0 mins. shown.
> >
> >So I went to the ITV Hub, and it was in the listings, but was not
> >available on request to play. It showed some adverts, of course,
> >at 100 mph. There was no explanation.
> >
> >Does anyone know what happened?
>
> I've just watched my Humax recording of it off Freesat. I also got the
> 'failed to record due to a clash', which I sometimes get but it was a
> lie. It's also available on ITV Hub - perhaps you didn't allow enough
> time after the broadcast.

How long does it need? It was this morning, say about 9 am or so, when I
tried to watch it on ITV hub. That's 11 or 12 hours later.
What was annoying was that it was in the list of available episodes,
but it wasn't available, and the announcement that it wasn't flashed
up so fast I missed it a couple of times.
--
Davey.

Re: Missing doc. Martin

<tjg3fc$319cr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37256&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37256

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 09:21:57 +0100
 by: NY - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 08:21 UTC

"Davey" <davey@example.invalid> wrote in message
>> I've just watched my Humax recording of it off Freesat. I also got the
>> 'failed to record due to a clash', which I sometimes get but it was a
>> lie. It's also available on ITV Hub - perhaps you didn't allow enough
>> time after the broadcast.
>
> How long does it need? It was this morning, say about 9 am or so, when I
> tried to watch it on ITV hub. That's 11 or 12 hours later.
> What was annoying was that it was in the list of available episodes,
> but it wasn't available, and the announcement that it wasn't flashed
> up so fast I missed it a couple of times.

I've always wondered why there is a delay between a programme being
transmitted and it being available on a catchup site (BBC iPlayer. ITV Hub
etc). You'd think that the programme master would be delivered to the
broadcaster some time in advance, and one copy would be placed on the
playout server for broadcaster and another version would be put on the
catchup hub, modified for whatever format the catchup site uses, with it
being embargoed until the end of the broadcast. So you'd think that the
whole process could be automated so the embargo flag is lifted as the
broadcast finishes, without any human intervention.

But I bet that's not what happens. I believe the BBC Sounds (radio) catchup
site used to (and maybe still does) record the off-air broadcast, complete
with continuity announcements and a bit of the previous/following programme,
and may even have relied on a person to press the start/stop buttons to
generate the BBC Sounds version.

Re: Missing doc. Martin

<tjg5fr$31gpj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37257&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37257

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 09:56:23 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 08:56 UTC

I know that the bbc podcast of In Touch was not up by the next morning but
it was on bbc sounds,and as it was only less than 30 minutes, I recorded it
from my Echo dots stereo output.
On tv, it gets complicated for programmes with AD as they need two
versions. It seems nobody designed the system to record the AD selectably by
the consumer, you have to play it from a stream where it been recorded as
part of the soundtrack. One might have thought somebody would have spotted
this and built it in, after all AD has been going for years.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"NY" <me@privacy.invalid> wrote in message
> "Davey" <davey@example.invalid> wrote in message
>>> I've just watched my Humax recording of it off Freesat. I also got the
>>> 'failed to record due to a clash', which I sometimes get but it was a
>>> lie. It's also available on ITV Hub - perhaps you didn't allow enough
>>> time after the broadcast.
>>
>> How long does it need? It was this morning, say about 9 am or so, when I
>> tried to watch it on ITV hub. That's 11 or 12 hours later.
>> What was annoying was that it was in the list of available episodes,
>> but it wasn't available, and the announcement that it wasn't flashed
>> up so fast I missed it a couple of times.
>
> I've always wondered why there is a delay between a programme being
> transmitted and it being available on a catchup site (BBC iPlayer. ITV Hub
> etc). You'd think that the programme master would be delivered to the
> broadcaster some time in advance, and one copy would be placed on the
> playout server for broadcaster and another version would be put on the
> catchup hub, modified for whatever format the catchup site uses, with it
> being embargoed until the end of the broadcast. So you'd think that the
> whole process could be automated so the embargo flag is lifted as the
> broadcast finishes, without any human intervention.
>
> But I bet that's not what happens. I believe the BBC Sounds (radio)
> catchup site used to (and maybe still does) record the off-air broadcast,
> complete with continuity announcements and a bit of the previous/following
> programme, and may even have relied on a person to press the start/stop
> buttons to generate the BBC Sounds version.

Re: Missing doc. Martin

<en6nlh18bu94lmhbv443ihtpi690ebh1pb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37259&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37259

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 10:07:31 +0100
 by: Dave W - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 09:07 UTC

On Thu, 27 Oct 2022 23:11:27 +0100, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
wrote:
>On Thu, 27 Oct 2022 22:22:41 +0100
>Dave W <davewi11@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Oct 2022 12:44:42 +0100, Davey <davey@example.invalid>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I had the final episode of Doc. Martin set up to record on my Humax
>> >last night, but this morning there was no sign of it, not even the
>> >"...but failed to record ..." message that I often see, with a
>> >recorded time of 0 mins. shown.
>> >
>> >So I went to the ITV Hub, and it was in the listings, but was not
>> >available on request to play. It showed some adverts, of course,
>> >at 100 mph. There was no explanation.
>> >
>> >Does anyone know what happened?
>>
>> I've just watched my Humax recording of it off Freesat. I also got the
>> 'failed to record due to a clash', which I sometimes get but it was a
>> lie. It's also available on ITV Hub - perhaps you didn't allow enough
>> time after the broadcast.
>
>How long does it need? It was this morning, say about 9 am or so, when I
>tried to watch it on ITV hub. That's 11 or 12 hours later.
>What was annoying was that it was in the list of available episodes,
>but it wasn't available, and the announcement that it wasn't flashed
>up so fast I missed it a couple of times.

I've found that ITV can well take a day to put something on ITV Hub.
Also the browser can show the page from its cache rather than the
current version and needs a refresh.
--
Dave W

Re: Missing doc. Martin

<tjg9cv$30n26$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37260&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37260

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2022 11:03:11 +0100
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 28 Oct 2022 10:03 UTC

On 28/10/2022 09:21, NY wrote:
> "Davey" <davey@example.invalid> wrote in message
>>> I've just watched my Humax recording of it off Freesat. I also got the
>>> 'failed to record due to a clash', which I sometimes get but it was a
>>> lie. It's also available on ITV Hub - perhaps you didn't allow enough
>>> time after the broadcast.
>>
>> How long does it need? It was this morning, say about 9 am or so, when I
>> tried to watch it on ITV hub. That's 11 or 12 hours later.
>> What was annoying was that it was in the list of available episodes,
>> but it wasn't available, and the announcement that it wasn't flashed
>> up so fast I missed it a couple of times.
>
> I've always wondered why there is a delay between a programme being
> transmitted and it being available on a catchup site (BBC iPlayer. ITV Hub
> etc).

What delay on iPlayer? Perhaps it depends on contractual arrangements,
but in several cases recently I've gone to iPlayer for a programme where
I've missed the first few minutes. On "green button", iPlayer comes up
an offers the programme as "watch live or watch from the start". I used
the latter.

That was true of yesterday afternoon's "Repair Shop", and Wednesday's
"Autumnwatch".

--

Jeff

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Missing doc. Martin