Mickey Mouse wears a Spiro Agnew watch.

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOS Messages?

SubjectAuthor
* What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOS Messages?D.M. Procida
+* Re: What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOS Messages?Savageduck
|+- Re: What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOS Messages?D.M. Procida
|`- Re: What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOSDavid Brooks
`- Re: What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOS Messages?D.M. Procida

1
What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOS Messages?

<1p8kd5y.s3065h14gxiifN%real-not-anti-spam-address@apple-juice.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=361&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#361

From: real-not...@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Subject: What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOS Messages?
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 18:13:00 +0100
 by: D.M. Procida - Sun, 2 May 2021 17:13 UTC

And vice-versa: what's required to have the iCloud email addresses
usable with Messages on an iPhone?

Both email addresses and the phone number are associated with the Apple
ID.

Daniele

Re: What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOS Messages?

<0001HW.263F234E0328380C700008BB238F@news.giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=362&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#362

Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 11:13:34 -0700
From: savagedu...@{REMOVESPAM}me.com (Savageduck)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
 by: Savageduck - Sun, 2 May 2021 18:13 UTC

On May 2, 2021, D.M. Procida wrote
(in article<1p8kd5y.s3065h14gxiifN%real-not-anti-spam-address@apple-juice.co.uk>):

> And vice-versa: what's required to have the iCloud email addresses
> usable with Messages on an iPhone?
>
> Both email addresses and the phone number are associated with the Apple
> ID.
>
> Daniele

With your iOS and/or macOS device go to preferences/settings:

iOS:
Make sure iMessage is enabled.
Note “Send & Receive” and the number of addresses. I have 4, the number assigned to my iPhone and my 3 iCloud addresses, xxx@icloud.com, xxx@mac.com,& xxx@me.com (all the same as far as Apple is concerned).
Text Message Forwarding: enable allow to send & receive from this iPhone. In my case my AppleID associated iPad, & iMac.

macOS:
Make sure the Apple ID account is enabled, and Messages is enabled in iCloud.
Make sure the list of addresses matches that in your iOS Settings.

--
Regards,
Savageduck

Re: What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOS Messages?

<1p8ki3r.1y0n1j77kbf6iN%real-not-anti-spam-address@apple-juice.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=364&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#364

From: real-not...@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 20:01:16 +0100
 by: D.M. Procida - Sun, 2 May 2021 19:01 UTC

> On May 2, 2021, D.M. Procida wrote (in
> article<1p8kd5y.s3065h14gxiifN%real-not-anti-spam-address@apple-juice.co.u
> k>):
>
> > And vice-versa: what's required to have the iCloud email addresses
> > usable with Messages on an iPhone?
> >
> > Both email addresses and the phone number are associated with the Apple
> > ID.
> >
> > Daniele
>
> With your iOS and/or macOS device go to preferences/settings:
>
> iOS:
> Make sure iMessage is enabled.
> Note "Send & Receive" and the number of addresses. I have 4, the number
> assigned to my iPhone and my 3 iCloud addresses, xxx@icloud.com,
> xxx@mac.com,& xxx@me.com (all the same as far as Apple is concerned).
> Text Message Forwarding: enable allow to send & receive from this iPhone.
> In my case my AppleID associated iPad, & iMac.
>
> macOS:
> Make sure the Apple ID account is enabled, and Messages is enabled in iCloud.
> Make sure the list of addresses matches that in your iOS Settings.

Unfortunately the problem is that the expected phone number does not
appear in macOS, and the expected email addresses do not appear on the
phone (even though all appear on the Apple ID account).

Daniele

Re: What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOS Messages?

<GWCjI.69187$D16.43923@fx40.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=365&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#365

Subject: Re: What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOS
Messages?
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
From: Dav...@nomail.afraid.org (David Brooks)
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 20:19:02 +0100
 by: David Brooks - Sun, 2 May 2021 19:19 UTC

On 02/05/2021 19:13, Savageduck wrote:
> On May 2, 2021, D.M. Procida wrote
> (in article<1p8kd5y.s3065h14gxiifN%real-not-anti-spam-address@apple-juice.co.uk>):
>
>> And vice-versa: what's required to have the iCloud email addresses
>> usable with Messages on an iPhone?
>>
>> Both email addresses and the phone number are associated with the Apple
>> ID.
>>
>> Daniele
>
> With your iOS and/or macOS device go to preferences/settings:
>
> iOS:
> Make sure iMessage is enabled.
> Note “Send & Receive” and the number of addresses. I have 4, the number assigned to my iPhone and my 3 iCloud addresses, xxx@icloud.com, xxx@mac.com,& xxx@me.com (all the same as far as Apple is concerned).
> Text Message Forwarding: enable allow to send & receive from this iPhone. In my case my AppleID associated iPad, & iMac.
>
> macOS:
> Make sure the Apple ID account is enabled, and Messages is enabled in iCloud.
> Make sure the list of addresses matches that in your iOS Settings.

Spotted on the ASC forums:-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252700556?answerId=255095656022&page=1

"I know many people here have a separate Apple ID for posting in ASC
with an alias here but per the Terms of Use you can only use one of them
here."

=

What do you think 'deggie' really meant by his comment?

If "...many people have a separate Apple ID for posting in ASC ..." that
must, surely, indicate that the normal security measures imposed by
Apple have been circumvented. 🤔

Does Apple itself ascertain that the help and advice given here - and
the links provided - have all been checked as being 'safe'?

I think not ..... and wonder if this Communities place could be a
hunting ground for unscrupulous fellows.

Hmmm! Don't mind me - just reflecting! 😟

--
Kind regards,
David

Re: What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOS Messages?

<1p8lqxs.1y4qvbzyz787N%real-not-anti-spam-address@apple-juice.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=375&group=uk.comp.sys.mac#375

From: real-not...@apple-juice.co.uk (D.M. Procida)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.sys.mac
Date: Mon, 3 May 2021 12:09:06 +0100
 by: D.M. Procida - Mon, 3 May 2021 11:09 UTC

D.M. Procida <real-not-anti-spam-address@apple-juice.co.uk> wrote:

> And vice-versa: what's required to have the iCloud email addresses
> usable with Messages on an iPhone?
>
> Both email addresses and the phone number are associated with the Apple
> ID.

I found it - on phones with which the iCloud addresses are *not*
associated, in Settings > Messages there's an option: "Use your Apple ID
for iMessage" (I didn't see this yesterday because I didn't have the
phone in my hands).

After selecting that option, it immediately complained that it couldn't
do anything "because the Apple IDs don't match" or somesuch.

However at the same time, the option to use the phone number appeared in
Messages on the Macintosh, and the email IDs became available on the
phone.

Daniele

aus+uk / uk.comp.sys.mac / Re: What's required to use an iCloud phone number with macOS Messages?