"Once they go up, who cares where they come down? That's not my department." -- Werner von Braun

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Another guide oddity

SubjectAuthor
* Another guide oddityTorx
`* Re: Another guide odditywrightsaerials@aol.com
 `* Re: Another guide oddityVir Campestris
  `* Re: Another guide oddityNY
   `* Re: Another guide oddityVir Campestris
    +* Re: Another guide oddityNY
    |`- Re: Another guide oddityMark Carver
    `- Re: Another guide oddityMark Carver

1
Another guide oddity

<tkreca$1gpgi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37598&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37598

From: tor...@torx.org (Torx)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Another guide oddity
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 18:51:54 +0000
 by: Torx - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 18:51 UTC

My old Panasonic DVR developed a new quirk a few weeks ago. The
programme guide often gives me a choice between recording the HD or the
SD version of a given prog. Now it always records both no matter which
I choose. Not usually a problem except when I want to record two progs
that overlap, it throws a hissy fit about duplicate recordings. Is
there any way to stop this and go back to normality?

Re: Another guide oddity

<3b211c9a-be38-4ef1-b883-98b33127feb9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37599&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37599

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 11:35:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Another guide oddity
From: wrightsa...@f2s.com (wrightsaerials@aol.com)
 by: wrightsaerials@aol.c - Sun, 13 Nov 2022 19:35 UTC

On Sunday, 13 November 2022 at 18:51:55 UTC, Torx wrote:
> My old Panasonic DVR developed a new quirk a few weeks ago. The
> programme guide often gives me a choice between recording the HD or the
> SD version of a given prog. Now it always records both no matter which
> I choose. Not usually a problem except when I want to record two progs
> that overlap, it throws a hissy fit about duplicate recordings. Is
> there any way to stop this and go back to normality?

Delete the SD channels

Bill

Re: Another guide oddity

<tktu34$1q5ea$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37602&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37602

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2022 17:32:20 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Mon, 14 Nov 2022 17:32 UTC

On 13/11/2022 19:35, wrightsaerials@aol.com wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 November 2022 at 18:51:55 UTC, Torx wrote:
>> My old Panasonic DVR developed a new quirk a few weeks ago. The
>> programme guide often gives me a choice between recording the HD or the
>> SD version of a given prog. Now it always records both no matter which
>> I choose. Not usually a problem except when I want to record two progs
>> that overlap, it throws a hissy fit about duplicate recordings. Is
>> there any way to stop this and go back to normality?
>
> Delete the SD channels

We record the BBC early evening news, including the local one, every
evening.

The local one is on SD only. We record the main news on SD too, because
the BBC have a habit of triggering the switch at the wrong moment so we
miss a bit.

That means we _have_ to have the SD channels.

Andy

Re: Another guide oddity

<tkvmqa$21jdf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37604&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37604

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 09:40:26 -0000
 by: NY - Tue, 15 Nov 2022 09:40 UTC

"Vir Campestris" <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 13/11/2022 19:35, wrightsaerials@aol.com wrote:
>> On Sunday, 13 November 2022 at 18:51:55 UTC, Torx wrote:
>>> My old Panasonic DVR developed a new quirk a few weeks ago. The
>>> programme guide often gives me a choice between recording the HD or the
>>> SD version of a given prog. Now it always records both no matter which
>>> I choose. Not usually a problem except when I want to record two progs
>>> that overlap, it throws a hissy fit about duplicate recordings. Is
>>> there any way to stop this and go back to normality?
>>
>> Delete the SD channels
>>
> We record the BBC early evening news, including the local one, every
> evening.
>
> The local one is on SD only. We record the main news on SD too, because
> the BBC have a habit of triggering the switch at the wrong moment so we
> miss a bit.
>
> That means we _have_ to have the SD channels.

What is the latest forecast for BBC1 regional news being carried on BBC1 HD
(Freeview and Freesat), as for ITV? How many more Freesat multiplexes will
it require?

Re: Another guide oddity

<tlgn42$3s8id$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37674&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37674

From: vir.camp...@invalid.invalid (Vir Campestris)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 20:29:54 +0000
 by: Vir Campestris - Mon, 21 Nov 2022 20:29 UTC

On 15/11/2022 09:40, NY wrote:
> What is the latest forecast for BBC1 regional news being carried on BBC1
> HD (Freeview and Freesat), as for ITV?

***ed if I know.

> How many more Freesat multiplexes will it require?

I'm on freeview, not freesat, and the answer there is none. It's an
internal switching problem that they can't send an HD signal from their
remote studios to the relevant HD transmitters, but they can do it for SD.

Even upscaled SD would be better than "programming will resume soon" or
whatever it shows.

Andy

Re: Another guide oddity

<tli6hg$2kjs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37676&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37676

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:59:17 -0000
 by: NY - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:59 UTC

> On 15/11/2022 09:40, NY wrote:
>> What is the latest forecast for BBC1 regional news being carried on BBC1
>> HD (Freeview and Freesat), as for ITV?
>
> ***ed if I know.
>
>> How many more Freesat multiplexes will it require?
>
> I'm on freeview, not freesat, and the answer there is none. It's an
> internal switching problem that they can't send an HD signal from their
> remote studios to the relevant HD transmitters, but they can do it for SD.
>
> Even upscaled SD would be better than "programming will resume soon" or
> whatever it shows.

I agree: right from the introduction of BBC1 HD, regions should have been
able to have their own SD news programme upscaled and inserted into BBC1 HD
on that transmitter's PSB3 multiplex. They can insert a "programming will
resume soon" caption so why can't they insert upscaled live SD video?
Someone took a very strange decision on network topology, and it's taken
them a long time to rectify it. At least they are now fixing it.

I see on
https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/bbc-to-start-switching-off-sd-channels-in-2023-hd-switchover
that BBC are planning to remove the SD regional versions of BBC channels,
leaving just the HD versions. That will be why they don't need any (or many
more) multiplexers because there will be (almost) a 1:1 replacement of BBC1
SD with BBC1 HD for each region.

It sound as if SD will remain on Freeview, presumably so there is one
platform that can be received by people with SD-only (T1-only) equipment.

Re: Another guide oddity

<ju3s3pFuajiU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37677&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37677

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:03:05 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 12:03 UTC

On 22/11/2022 09:59, NY wrote:
> "Vir Campestris" <vir.campestris@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 15/11/2022 09:40, NY wrote:
>>> What is the latest forecast for BBC1 regional news being carried on
>>> BBC1 HD (Freeview and Freesat), as for ITV?
>>
>> ***ed if I know.
>>
>>> How many more Freesat multiplexes will it require?
>>
>> I'm on freeview, not freesat, and the answer there is none. It's an
>> internal switching problem that they can't send an HD signal from
>> their remote studios to the relevant HD transmitters, but they can do
>> it for SD.
>>
>> Even upscaled SD would be better than "programming will resume soon"
>> or whatever it shows.
>
> I agree: right from the introduction of BBC1 HD, regions should have
> been able to have their own SD news programme upscaled and inserted
> into BBC1 HD on that transmitter's PSB3 multiplex. They can insert a
> "programming will resume soon" caption so why can't they insert
> upscaled live SD video? Someone took a very strange decision on
> network topology, and it's taken them a long time to rectify it. At
> least they are now fixing it.
>
> I see on
> https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/bbc-to-start-switching-off-sd-channels-in-2023-hd-switchover
> that BBC are planning to remove the SD regional versions of BBC
> channels, leaving just the HD versions. That will be why they don't
> need any (or many more) multiplexers because there will be (almost) a
> 1:1 replacement of BBC1 SD with BBC1 HD for each region.
>
> It sound as if SD will remain on Freeview, presumably so there is one
> platform that can be received by people with SD-only (T1-only) equipment.

 The BBC 1 SD removal is only happening on Satellite, it looks as if
there will just be a single national version of BBC 1 SD (with the red
screen during local news slots)

I don't think Freeview will be affected, there's no need for it to be.

Looks like the BBC are following ITV's lead. They reduced their ITV 1 SD
regions on satellite, at the same time as expending them in HD on
satellite.

Looks like toe dipping, and the Beeb aim to ditch all their SD
broadcasts on satellite by the end of next year.

Re: Another guide oddity

<ju401sFuajiU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=37678&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#37678

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 13:10:21 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Tue, 22 Nov 2022 13:10 UTC

On 21/11/2022 20:29, Vir Campestris wrote:
> On 15/11/2022 09:40, NY wrote:
>> What is the latest forecast for BBC1 regional news being carried on
>> BBC1 HD (Freeview and Freesat), as for ITV?
>
> ***ed if I know.
>
>> How many more Freesat multiplexes will it require?
>
> I'm on freeview, not freesat, and the answer there is none. It's an
> internal switching problem that they can't send an HD signal from
> their remote studios to the relevant HD transmitters, but they can do
> it for SD.
None of the regions (BBC or ITV) are directly connected to their local
transmitters, I'm not explaining it all over again why it works for SD
but not HD, only to say, the BBC are way behind the curve (by over a
decade) getting this sorted. We're almost there now. Looks as if by
Easter Freeview and Satellite will be there (Virgin cable has been for a
few months now)