From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Boot W10 from external drive - options? WTG?
Date: 4 Aug 2023 13:13:17 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 13:13 UTC

I am looking to boot W10 from an external drive as a temporary measure.

Searches so far have returned conflicting information.

Allegedly W10 will not boot from an external USB drive.

However if you have an existing W10 install, you can use Windows2Go to
create external media which will boot.

Has anyone done this, or perhaps found another way to externally boot W10?

I have the choice of a USB stick or an external USB SSD.

The main aim is to test a PC before I commit to buying a M.2 SATA SSD
which is generally not usable in any other system that I have should the
test laptop prove to be not a long term prospect.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Boot W10 from external drive - options? WTG?

<kj4iicFp90lU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3773&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3773

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Boot W10 from external drive - options? WTG?
Date: 4 Aug 2023 15:07:56 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 15:07 UTC

On Fri, 04 Aug 2023 13:13:17 +0000, David wrote:

> I am looking to boot W10 from an external drive as a temporary measure.
>
> Searches so far have returned conflicting information.
>
> Allegedly W10 will not boot from an external USB drive.
>
> However if you have an existing W10 install, you can use Windows2Go to
> create external media which will boot.
>
> Has anyone done this, or perhaps found another way to externally boot
> W10?
>
> I have the choice of a USB stick or an external USB SSD.
>
> The main aim is to test a PC before I commit to buying a M.2 SATA SSD
> which is generally not usable in any other system that I have should the
> test laptop prove to be not a long term prospect.

Apparently WTG is no longer a thing.

I am building a multi-boot USB stick using YUMI from Pendrivelinux.com.
First ISO is Linux Mint.
That should be enough to test the PC.

Next I will have to look at how to add further ISO files to make it a
portable tool kit.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64

Re: Boot W10 from external drive - options? WTG?

<uajba9$1bnri$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3775&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3775

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 18:08:25 +0100
 by: SH - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 17:08 UTC

On 04/08/2023 16:07, David wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Aug 2023 13:13:17 +0000, David wrote:
>
>> I am looking to boot W10 from an external drive as a temporary measure.
>>
>> Searches so far have returned conflicting information.
>>
>> Allegedly W10 will not boot from an external USB drive.
>>
>> However if you have an existing W10 install, you can use Windows2Go to
>> create external media which will boot.
>>
>> Has anyone done this, or perhaps found another way to externally boot
>> W10?
>>
>> I have the choice of a USB stick or an external USB SSD.
>>
>> The main aim is to test a PC before I commit to buying a M.2 SATA SSD
>> which is generally not usable in any other system that I have should the
>> test laptop prove to be not a long term prospect.
>
> Apparently WTG is no longer a thing.
>
> I am building a multi-boot USB stick using YUMI from Pendrivelinux.com.
> First ISO is Linux Mint.
> That should be enough to test the PC.
>
> Next I will have to look at how to add further ISO files to make it a
> portable tool kit.
>
> Cheers
>

> Dave R

Take a look at Ventoy

I have a 500 GB SSD on a SATA to USB adapter with about 30 ISO's on it,
you get a boot menu of all your ISOs for you to choose to boot from.

mo mucking about with pendrive linux, or burning ISOs or DVD discs, just
download an iso and copy to your Ventoy disc. :-)

Also a cinch to download an updated ISO copy across to SSD and delete
the older version :-)

Re: Boot W10 from external drive - options? WTG?

<kj4t4oFsr27U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3776&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3776

From: wib...@btinternet.com (David)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 4 Aug 2023 18:08:25 GMT
 by: David - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 18:08 UTC

On Fri, 04 Aug 2023 18:08:25 +0100, SH wrote:

> On 04/08/2023 16:07, David wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Aug 2023 13:13:17 +0000, David wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking to boot W10 from an external drive as a temporary
>>> measure.
>>>
>>> Searches so far have returned conflicting information.
>>>
>>> Allegedly W10 will not boot from an external USB drive.
>>>
>>> However if you have an existing W10 install, you can use Windows2Go to
>>> create external media which will boot.
>>>
>>> Has anyone done this, or perhaps found another way to externally boot
>>> W10?
>>>
>>> I have the choice of a USB stick or an external USB SSD.
>>>
>>> The main aim is to test a PC before I commit to buying a M.2 SATA SSD
>>> which is generally not usable in any other system that I have should
>>> the test laptop prove to be not a long term prospect.
>>
>> Apparently WTG is no longer a thing.
>>
>> I am building a multi-boot USB stick using YUMI from Pendrivelinux.com.
>> First ISO is Linux Mint.
>> That should be enough to test the PC.
>>
>> Next I will have to look at how to add further ISO files to make it a
>> portable tool kit.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Dave R
>>

> Take a look at Ventoy
>
> I have a 500 GB SSD on a SATA to USB adapter with about 30 ISO's on it,
> you get a boot menu of all your ISOs for you to choose to boot from.
>
> mo mucking about with pendrive linux, or burning ISOs or DVD discs, just
> download an iso and copy to your Ventoy disc. :-)
>
> Also a cinch to download an updated ISO copy across to SSD and delete
> the older version :-)

As far as I can tell you can just add ISO files to the USB stick and then
chose which one you want.

So much the same thing.

Cheers

Dave R

--
AMD FX-6300 in GA-990X-Gaming SLI-CF running Windows 10 x64