If God had wanted you to go around nude, He would have given you bigger hands.

aus+uk / uk.people.silversurfers / Re: Will Smith

SubjectAuthor
* Will SmithJeff Gaines
+- Re: Will SmithIndy Jess John
+* Re: Will SmithRay
|`- Re: Will SmithAbandoned_Trolley
+- Re: Will SmithAbandoned_Trolley
+- Re: Will SmithFlyi?g ?u? 2?22 +
+* Re: Will SmithSmokey
|`* Re: Will SmithFlyi?g ?u? 2?22 +
| `- Re: Will SmithIndy Jess John
+* Re: Will SmithJeff Gaines
|`* Re: Will SmithAbandoned_Trolley
| `- Re: Will SmithJeff Gaines
`* Re: Will SmithBunnyHare
 `- Re: Will SmithFlyi?g ?u? 2?22 +

1
Will Smith

<xn0ng5hvp3elnpk003@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3746&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3746

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Will Smith
Date: 2 Apr 2022 21:46:11 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 21:46 UTC

I have enjoyed a lot of his films, although his attempts to turn his
family into an acting dynasty I find annoying.

I have to say if somebody made offensive remarks about one of the women in
my family I would knock them into the middle of next week.

Am I just old fashioned?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap

Re: Will Smith

<t2ak3l$n9i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3747&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3747

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Will Smith
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2022 23:52:37 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sat, 2 Apr 2022 22:52 UTC

On 02/04/2022 22:46, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I have enjoyed a lot of his films, although his attempts to turn his
> family into an acting dynasty I find annoying.
>
> I have to say if somebody made offensive remarks about one of the women in
> my family I would knock them into the middle of next week.
>
> Am I just old fashioned?

From the clip I saw on the TV news, Chris Rock made a joke about Jada
in poor taste, and Will laughed at it until he looked round and saw Jada
with a face like thunder. At that point Will realised that the real
issue was not that the joke had been made but that he had been seen to
have enjoyed it and it was obviously too late to pass it off as a bad
joke and he had to be seen by his wife to have done something in
retribution or he would never hear the last of it. To be fair, it was a
slap - visible but not vicious. It was an attempt to draw a middle
ground between damned if you do and damned if you don't.

My take on it is that the people who go along because they are possible
recipients of an award are fair game, and on a previous occasion Ricky
Gervais made them all squirm with his put-downs. But the people who
accompany these stars are guests and should not be part of the mickey
taking. So Chris Rock did deserve to be called out for what he did.

There is now talk of whether Will should have his award revoked. That
award was for his work not his behaviour in real life, and should be
outside the recriminations which will no doubt follow.

Jim

Re: Will Smith

<t2bh06$tlr$1@amos-jones.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3748&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3748

From: amos-jo...@outlook.com (Ray)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 07:05:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Ray - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 07:05 UTC

On 2 Apr 2022 at 22:46:11 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> I have enjoyed a lot of his films, although his attempts to turn his
> family into an acting dynasty I find annoying.
>
> I have to say if somebody made offensive remarks about one of the women in
> my family I would knock them into the middle of next week.
>
> Am I just old fashioned?

My view is anyone who watches the awards on TV deserves a good slap upside the
head for facilitating the perpetuation of garbage Television.
And that goes for a lot of TV these days.
Anyone up for a referendum to make the BBC put all the world cup football
we're apparently supposed to be enjoying this year on BBC3. And leave the
major channels for all the other popular rubbish.
--
Every time someone sings "It was 20 years ago today, Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play" the time line shifts to preserve the truth of the statement.

Re: Will Smith

<t2bk5p$l2n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3750&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3750

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 08:59:52 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 07:59 UTC

On 03/04/2022 08:05, Ray wrote:
> On 2 Apr 2022 at 22:46:11 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>> I have enjoyed a lot of his films, although his attempts to turn his
>> family into an acting dynasty I find annoying.
>>
>> I have to say if somebody made offensive remarks about one of the women in
>> my family I would knock them into the middle of next week.
>>
>> Am I just old fashioned?
>
> My view is anyone who watches the awards on TV deserves a good slap upside the
> head for facilitating the perpetuation of garbage Television.
> And that goes for a lot of TV these days.
> Anyone up for a referendum to make the BBC put all the world cup football
> we're apparently supposed to be enjoying this year on BBC3. And leave the
> major channels for all the other popular rubbish.

Yeah - I would go for that.

And while we are at it, we could stop pretending that people are
interested in the Olympics

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Will Smith

<t2bkjk$l2n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3751&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3751

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 09:07:15 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 08:07 UTC

> Am I just old fashioned?

Not this time Jeff ...

It occurs to me that the difficulty which the "wokesphere" have with the
issue is that they dont know which side to take as both the participants
are black.

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Will Smith

<jatc8rF27vaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3759&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3759

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 +)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2022 11:47:00 +0100
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 + - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 10:47 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:
> I have enjoyed a lot of his films, although his attempts to turn his
> family into an acting dynasty I find annoying.
>
> I have to say if somebody made offensive remarks about one of the
> women in my family I would knock them into the middle of next week.
>
> Am I just old fashioned?

He was only defending his wife's honour, what's wrong with that? It
was just a slap and no damage done except to someone's pride.
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2�22+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..

Re: Will Smith

<jatdpdF2gt0U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3765&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3765

From: me...@privacy.net (Smokey)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 3 Apr 2022 11:12:45 GMT
 by: Smokey - Sun, 3 Apr 2022 11:12 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> I have enjoyed a lot of his films, although his attempts to turn his
> family into an acting dynasty I find annoying.
>
> I have to say if somebody made offensive remarks about one of the women in
> my family I would knock them into the middle of next week.
>
> Am I just old fashioned?

As someone who lost their hair with chemo , it’s a very sensitive thing for
a woman , so I can imagine Wills wife would have been quite upset about &
this his reaction . It really wasn’t a nice comment to make …

--
§mokey

Re: Will Smith

<javu66FhbckU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3777&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3777

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 +)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 11:04:53 +0100
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 + - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:04 UTC

Smokey wrote:
> Jeff Gaines <jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> I have enjoyed a lot of his films, although his attempts to turn his
>> family into an acting dynasty I find annoying.
>>
>> I have to say if somebody made offensive remarks about one of the
>> women in my family I would knock them into the middle of next week.
>>
>> Am I just old fashioned?
>>

> As someone who lost their hair with chemo , it's a very sensitive
> thing for a woman , so I can imagine Wills wife would have been quite
> upset about & this his reaction . It really wasn't a nice comment to
> make .

I was under the impression that Will Smith had said earlier that his
wife had alopecia.
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2�22+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..
flyingnun@roseofwhite.plus.com

Re: Will Smith

<t2eggq$nk1$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3779&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3779

From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2022 11:15:56 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:15 UTC

On 04/04/2022 11:04, Flyiñg Ñuñ 2°22 + wrote:
> Smokey wrote:
>> Jeff Gaines<jgaines_newsid@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>> I have enjoyed a lot of his films, although his attempts to turn his
>>> family into an acting dynasty I find annoying.
>>>
>>> I have to say if somebody made offensive remarks about one of the
>>> women in my family I would knock them into the middle of next week.
>>>
>>> Am I just old fashioned?
>>>

>> As someone who lost their hair with chemo , it's a very sensitive
>> thing for a woman , so I can imagine Wills wife would have been quite
>> upset about& this his reaction . It really wasn't a nice comment to
>> make .
>>
> I was under the impression that Will Smith had said earlier that his
> wife had alopecia.

True. But it is the physical appearance rather than the cause of it that
matters.

Jim

Re: Will Smith

<xn0ng7tgh5lng63006@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3781&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3781

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 4 Apr 2022 10:39:04 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:39 UTC

On 02/04/2022 in message <xn0ng5hvp3elnpk003@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>Am I just old fashioned?

Many thank for all the replies, including the somewhat double-edged
response that I am not being old-fashioned "in this case" :-)

We have a variety of views but I suspect overall we have some sympathy for
Will Smith's action.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?

Re: Will Smith

<HIudnRSxRrEUUNf_nZ2dnUU7-bnNnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3782&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3782

Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 11:50:48 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
From: bing...@lineone.net (BunnyHare)
 by: BunnyHare - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 10:50 UTC

On 02/04/2022 22:46, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I have enjoyed a lot of his films, although his attempts to turn his
> family into an acting dynasty I find annoying.

> I have to say if somebody made offensive remarks about one of the women
> in my family I would knock them into the middle of next week.
>
> Am I just old fashioned?

The joke made by the so called comedian was in bad taste. Whether or
not it necessitated retaliation is open for debate but, hey, it was only
a slap and he was defending his wife.
The problem is the escalation. It should have been called finished at
that point without the need for further recriminations from the academy
and, if they were going to make an issue, then that should have been
extended to the comedian who started it all off

--
Barb

Re: Will Smith

<t2eoon$ov0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3787&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3787

From: fre...@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2022 14:36:37 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 13:36 UTC

> Many thank for all the replies, including the somewhat double-edged
> response that I am not being old-fashioned "in this case" :-)

Cream emulsion clearly casts a long shadow ...

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: Will Smith

<xn0ng7yhs5sibfi008@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3788&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3788

From: jgaines_...@yahoo.co.uk (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: 4 Apr 2022 13:51:02 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Mon, 4 Apr 2022 13:51 UTC

On 04/04/2022 in message <t2eoon$ov0$1@dont-email.me> Abandoned_Trolley
wrote:

>>Many thank for all the replies, including the somewhat double-edged
>>response that I am not being old-fashioned "in this case" :-)
>>

>Cream emulsion clearly casts a long shadow ...

Magnolia my dear, magnolia :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
All things being equal, fat people use more soap

Re: Will Smith

<jb2n6hF39c8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3796&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3796

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 +)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 12:24:02 +0100
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 + - Tue, 5 Apr 2022 11:24 UTC

BunnyHare wrote:
> On 02/04/2022 22:46, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>>
>> I have enjoyed a lot of his films, although his attempts to turn his
>> family into an acting dynasty I find annoying.
>
>> I have to say if somebody made offensive remarks about one of the
>> women in my family I would knock them into the middle of next week.
>>
>> Am I just old fashioned?
>>

> The joke made by the so called comedian was in bad taste. Whether or
> not it necessitated retaliation is open for debate but, hey, it was
> only a slap and he was defending his wife.
> The problem is the escalation. It should have been called finished at
> that point without the need for further recriminations from the
> academy and, if they were going to make an issue, then that should
> have been extended to the comedian who started it all off

Here! Here! Barb