Dogs just don't seem to be able to tell the difference between important people and the rest of us.

aus+uk / uk.rec.motorcycles / Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

SubjectAuthor
* Paging the petrol alchemists/Cabsiwilson
+* Paging the petrol alchemists/CabMark Olson
|`* Paging the petrol alchemists/CabStephen Packer
| `- Paging the petrol alchemists/Cabwessie
+* Paging the petrol alchemists/CabBruce Horrocks
|`* Paging the petrol alchemists/Cabsiwilson
| +* Paging the petrol alchemists/CabAce
| |+* Paging the petrol alchemists/CabPipl
| ||+- Paging the petrol alchemists/Cabsiwilson
| ||`* Paging the petrol alchemists/CabChrisND @UKRM
| || +- Paging the petrol alchemists/CabPipl
| || +* Paging the petrol alchemists/CabWUN
| || +* Paging the petrol alchemists/Cabsweller
| || `* Paging the petrol alchemists/CabBuzby
| ||  `- Paging the petrol alchemists/CabChrisND @UKRM
| |`- Paging the petrol alchemists/Cabsiwilson
| +- Paging the petrol alchemists/CabBruce Horrocks
| `- Paging the petrol alchemists/CabCab
+- Paging the petrol alchemists/CabAJH
`* Paging the petrol alchemists/CabCab
 `- Paging the petrol alchemists/CabCab

Pages:12
Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<ipuj1tFk55oU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3822&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3822

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 15:12:13 +0100
 by: siwilson - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 14:12 UTC

When you do/did the ethanol removal thing, did you bother to add any
octane booster?

Aren't the octanes[1] distributed evenly between the ethanol and the
petrol, or do they stick to the ethanol more?

I inadvertently bought some E10 the other day, and I really don't want
to put it in my bikes. Just waiting the 12 hours for the water to settle
out right now.

[1] whatever they are

--
/Simon

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<shdiof$6di$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3823&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3823

From: ols...@tiny.invalid (Mark Olson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Subject: Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 18:11:27 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mark Olson - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 18:11 UTC

siwilson <siwilson@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote:
> When you do/did the ethanol removal thing, did you bother to add any
> octane booster?
>
> Aren't the octanes[1] distributed evenly between the ethanol and the
> petrol, or do they stick to the ethanol more?
>
> I inadvertently bought some E10 the other day, and I really don't want
> to put it in my bikes. Just waiting the 12 hours for the water to settle
> out right now.
>
> [1] whatever they are

If I am not mistaken, Ethanol has a fairly high octane compared
to garden variety petrol.

https://www.iea-amf.org/content/fuel_information/fuel_info_home/ethanol/e10/ethanol_properties

--
FJR1300A, GL1000, KLR650A6F, EX250J9A, DR200SE, Vespa Ciao

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<280ad625-26cd-4063-88ad-157cdaf6dd61n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3825&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3825

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 12:49:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (Stephen Packer)
 by: Stephen Packer - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 19:49 UTC

On Thursday, 9 September 2021 at 19:11:28 UTC+1, Mark Olson wrote:
> siwilson <siwi...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote:
> > When you do/did the ethanol removal thing, did you bother to add any
> > octane booster?
> >
> > Aren't the octanes[1] distributed evenly between the ethanol and the
> > petrol, or do they stick to the ethanol more?
> >
> > I inadvertently bought some E10 the other day, and I really don't want
> > to put it in my bikes. Just waiting the 12 hours for the water to settle
> > out right now.
> >
> > [1] whatever they are
> If I am not mistaken, Ethanol has a fairly high octane compared
> to garden variety petrol.

Right, so you need to boil the petrol to reduce the water content and
increase the strength I guess?

Boil it down to something like 80% of its current volume, I think
something like this would be good...

https://bit.ly/3BWwVf9

Helpful?

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<757a6d76-bcd6-fc7f-7d26-32e2892f25c0@scorecrow.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3826&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3826

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 22:31:32 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 21:31 UTC

On 09/09/2021 15:12, siwilson wrote:
> When you do/did the ethanol removal thing, did you bother to add any
> octane booster?
>
> Aren't the octanes[1] distributed evenly between the ethanol and the
> petrol, or do they stick to the ethanol more?
>
> I inadvertently bought some E10 the other day, and I really don't want
> to put it in my bikes. Just waiting the 12 hours for the water to settle
> out right now.

I'm not sure the water will settle out. The whole point about
hygroscopic substances is that they absorb water *and then store it*. So
your only practical options are to drain the tank or run the engine and
use it up normally.

The traditional thing about water in petrol tanks is because petrol is
not hygroscopic, so any condensation from moist air entering the tank
eventually forms a puddle at the bottom of the tank (because petrol is
lighter and floats on top, preventing evaporation).

Actually, thinking about it, E5 has been around for so long now it's
almost a given that no one has any water in their tanks any more.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<ipvfquFpj0oU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3827&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3827

From: new...@loampitsfarm.co.uk (AJH)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 23:23:26 +0100
 by: AJH - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 22:23 UTC

On 09/09/2021 15:12, siwilson wrote:
> When you do/did the ethanol removal thing, did you bother to add any
> octane booster?
>
> Aren't the octanes[1] distributed evenly between the ethanol and the
> petrol, or do they stick to the ethanol more?
>
> I inadvertently bought some E10 the other day, and I really don't want
> to put it in my bikes. Just waiting the 12 hours for the water to settle
> out right now.
>
> [1] whatever they are

Octane is a petrochemical with the general formula C8H18 and one of them
is used as a standard in determining the fuel's ability to resist
detonation.

As you remove ethanol, which has a high octane rating, from the fuel mix
I would expect it reduce the octane rating of the remaining fuel, hence
why there may be a need to add an octane booster.

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<XnsADA0F33B66B1Dwtymmmsas@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3828&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3828

From: willnotw...@tesco.net (wessie)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 22:54:39 -0000 (UTC)
 by: wessie - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 22:54 UTC

Stephen Packer <stephen.packer@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Thursday, 9 September 2021 at 19:11:28 UTC+1, Mark Olson wrote:
>> siwilson <siwi...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>> > When you do/did the ethanol removal thing, did you bother to add
>> > any octane booster?
>> >
>> > Aren't the octanes[1] distributed evenly between the ethanol and
>> > the petrol, or do they stick to the ethanol more?
>> >
>> > I inadvertently bought some E10 the other day, and I really don't
>> > want to put it in my bikes. Just waiting the 12 hours for the water
>> > to settle out right now.
>> >
>> > [1] whatever they are
>> If I am not mistaken, Ethanol has a fairly high octane compared
>> to garden variety petrol.
>
> Right, so you need to boil the petrol to reduce the water content and
> increase the strength I guess?
>
> Boil it down to something like 80% of its current volume, I think
> something like this would be good...
>
> https://bit.ly/3BWwVf9
>
> Helpful?

hello Burnt. Is Stephen off his meds?

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<iq1au4F5u82U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3841&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3841

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:12:03 +0100
 by: siwilson - Fri, 10 Sep 2021 15:12 UTC

On 09/09/2021 22:31, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> On 09/09/2021 15:12, siwilson wrote:
>> When you do/did the ethanol removal thing, did you bother to add any
>> octane booster?
>>
>> Aren't the octanes[1] distributed evenly between the ethanol and the
>> petrol, or do they stick to the ethanol more?
>>
>> I inadvertently bought some E10 the other day, and I really don't want
>> to put it in my bikes. Just waiting the 12 hours for the water to
>> settle out right now.
>
> I'm not sure the water will settle out. The whole point about
> hygroscopic substances is that they absorb water *and then store it*. So
> your only practical options are to drain the tank or run the engine and
> use it up normally.
>
> The traditional thing about water in petrol tanks is because petrol is
> not hygroscopic, so any condensation from moist air entering the tank
> eventually forms a puddle at the bottom of the tank (because petrol is
> lighter and floats on top, preventing evaporation).
>
> Actually, thinking about it, E5 has been around for so long now it's
> almost a given that no one has any water in their tanks any more.

I didn't fully explain. I've bought some E10 and got it in a jerry can.

The process to remove the ethanol involves adding (preferably coloured)
water to the fuel, shake it up and then let it settle. The resultant
coloured layer should contain both the added water + the ethanol. The
proof will be when I measure the quantity of coloured liquid which
should equal the amount of added water + 10% of the fuel I started with.

--
/Simon

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<p7uojgh3mdc6hf68lp0siimrll263kf1n4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3862&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3862

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 11:39:19 +0200
 by: Ace - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 09:39 UTC

On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:12:03 +0100, siwilson
<siwilson@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote:

>I didn't fully explain. I've bought some E10 and got it in a jerry can.
>
>The process to remove the ethanol involves adding (preferably coloured)
>water to the fuel, shake it up and then let it settle. The resultant
>coloured layer should contain both the added water + the ethanol. The
>proof will be when I measure the quantity of coloured liquid which
>should equal the amount of added water + 10% of the fuel I started with.

I know there was a thread about this recently, but I misremember
exactly why you'd want to remove the Ethanol. Is this for some
particular engine that won't tolerate it for some reason?

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<iq1pjg53pi626ii7pq8figcp3h1b1rflm9@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3863&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3863

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 11:42:57 +0100
 by: Pipl - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 10:42 UTC

On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 11:39:19 +0200, Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:12:03 +0100, siwilson
><siwilson@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I didn't fully explain. I've bought some E10 and got it in a jerry can.
>>
>>The process to remove the ethanol involves adding (preferably coloured)
>>water to the fuel, shake it up and then let it settle. The resultant
>>coloured layer should contain both the added water + the ethanol. The
>>proof will be when I measure the quantity of coloured liquid which
>>should equal the amount of added water + 10% of the fuel I started with.
>
>I know there was a thread about this recently, but I misremember
>exactly why you'd want to remove the Ethanol. Is this for some
>particular engine that won't tolerate it for some reason?

I think it's to do with older engines that use materials not
compatible with Ethanol, such as brass inside carbs, plastic or rubber
parts that soften and/or swell.

--

-Pip

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<iq3jb2Fj4pfU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3864&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3864

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 12:47:46 +0100
 by: siwilson - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 11:47 UTC

On 11/09/2021 10:39, Ace wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:12:03 +0100, siwilson
> <siwilson@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I didn't fully explain. I've bought some E10 and got it in a jerry can.
>>
>> The process to remove the ethanol involves adding (preferably coloured)
>> water to the fuel, shake it up and then let it settle. The resultant
>> coloured layer should contain both the added water + the ethanol. The
>> proof will be when I measure the quantity of coloured liquid which
>> should equal the amount of added water + 10% of the fuel I started with.
>
> I know there was a thread about this recently, but I misremember
> exactly why you'd want to remove the Ethanol. Is this for some
> particular engine that won't tolerate it for some reason?

No hard evidence but the guy I've used to rebuild my RD is convinced it
ruins the crank seals. Pretty sure unless you hav exactly the right kind
of rubber bits everywhere it's not good.

--
/Simon

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<iq3jclFj4pfU2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3865&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3865

From: siwil...@nodamnspam.hotmail.com (siwilson)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 12:48:37 +0100
 by: siwilson - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 11:48 UTC

On 11/09/2021 11:42, Pipl wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 11:39:19 +0200, Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:12:03 +0100, siwilson
>> <siwilson@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I didn't fully explain. I've bought some E10 and got it in a jerry can.
>>>
>>> The process to remove the ethanol involves adding (preferably coloured)
>>> water to the fuel, shake it up and then let it settle. The resultant
>>> coloured layer should contain both the added water + the ethanol. The
>>> proof will be when I measure the quantity of coloured liquid which
>>> should equal the amount of added water + 10% of the fuel I started with.
>>
>> I know there was a thread about this recently, but I misremember
>> exactly why you'd want to remove the Ethanol. Is this for some
>> particular engine that won't tolerate it for some reason?
>
> I think it's to do with older engines that use materials not
> compatible with Ethanol, such as brass inside carbs, plastic or rubber
> parts that soften and/or swell.

Also perhaps harden? Especially 2 stroke crank seals.

--
/Simon

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<a011f256-cab1-8fcd-9d93-296a2b7ad89a@scorecrow.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3868&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3868

From: 07....@scorecrow.com (Bruce Horrocks)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 13:35:28 +0100
 by: Bruce Horrocks - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 12:35 UTC

On 10/09/2021 16:12, siwilson wrote:

> I didn't fully explain. I've bought some E10 and got it in a jerry can.
>
> The process to remove the ethanol involves adding (preferably coloured)
> water to the fuel, shake it up and then let it settle. The resultant
> coloured layer should contain both the added water + the ethanol. The
> proof will be when I measure the quantity of coloured liquid which
> should equal the amount of added water + 10% of the fuel I started with.

Isn't it going to be less faff to just buy ethanol free in the first place?

From <https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol>:

What’s in our Synergy Supreme+ 99 premium petrol

Our Synergy Supreme+ 99 petrol has more cleaning power than our regular
petrol – and includes molecules whose job it is to reduce the friction
in your engine helping the moving parts work more efficiently.*

Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is
actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in
Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland). Legislation
requires us to place these E5 labels on pumps that dispense unleaded
petrol with ‘up to 5% ethanol’, including those that contain no ethanol,
which is why we display them on our Synergy Supreme+ 99 pumps.

There’s currently no requirement for renewable fuel, like ethanol, to be
present in super unleaded petrol although this could change in the
future, in which case we would comply with any new legislation.

--
Bruce Horrocks
Surrey, England

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<xn0n2s65d3fwc31000@www.rosbif.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3876&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3876

From: me...@privacy.net (Cab)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 23:32:48 +0000
 by: Cab - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 23:32 UTC

siwilson wibbled:

> When you do/did the ethanol removal thing, did you bother to add any
> octane booster?
>
> Aren't the octanes[1] distributed evenly between the ethanol and the
> petrol, or do they stick to the ethanol more?
>
> I inadvertently bought some E10 the other day, and I really don't
> want to put it in my bikes. Just waiting the 12 hours for the water
> to settle out right now.
>
> [1] whatever they are

When I mix water and petrol, I normally give it a good shake and it
settles pretty quickly. Then using one of those suction pump thingies,
I suck the water/ethanol mix out. I don't add any additives and haven't
seen any adverse effects with the 2-stroke engine.

But saying that, one of the Solex experts I've spoken too, reckons that
E10 is fine in the Solex. But then again, he told me that bike
batteries always die within six months.

--
Cab
Z1000 and CB1300 and VeloSolex 3800

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<xn0n2s66f3fxv9l001@www.rosbif.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3877&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3877

From: me...@privacy.net (Cab)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 23:34:00 +0000
 by: Cab - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 23:34 UTC

siwilson wibbled:

> On 09/09/2021 22:31, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
> > On 09/09/2021 15:12, siwilson wrote:
> > > When you do/did the ethanol removal thing, did you bother to add
> > > any octane booster?
> > >
> > > Aren't the octanes[1] distributed evenly between the ethanol and
> > > the petrol, or do they stick to the ethanol more?
> > >
> > > I inadvertently bought some E10 the other day, and I really don't
> > > want to put it in my bikes. Just waiting the 12 hours for the
> > > water to settle out right now.
> >
> > I'm not sure the water will settle out. The whole point about
> > hygroscopic substances is that they absorb water *and then store
> > it*. So your only practical options are to drain the tank or run
> > the engine and use it up normally.
> >
> > The traditional thing about water in petrol tanks is because petrol
> > is not hygroscopic, so any condensation from moist air entering
> > the tank eventually forms a puddle at the bottom of the tank
> > (because petrol is lighter and floats on top, preventing
> > evaporation).
> >
> > Actually, thinking about it, E5 has been around for so long now
> > it's almost a given that no one has any water in their tanks any
> > more.
> >

> I didn't fully explain. I've bought some E10 and got it in a jerry
> can.
>
> The process to remove the ethanol involves adding (preferably
> coloured) water to the fuel, shake it up and then let it settle. The
> resultant coloured layer should contain both the added water + the
> ethanol. The proof will be when I measure the quantity of coloured
> liquid which should equal the amount of added water + 10% of the fuel
> I started with.

That's pretty much it. Works for me.

--
Cab
Z1000 and CB1300 and VeloSolex 3800

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<xn0n2sxth4hcx85002@www.rosbif.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3885&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3885

From: me...@privacy.net (Cab)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2021 17:01:28 +0000
 by: Cab - Sun, 12 Sep 2021 17:01 UTC

Cab wibbled:

> When I mix water and petrol, I normally give it a good shake and it
> settles pretty quickly. Then using one of those suction pump thingies,
> I suck the water/ethanol mix out. I don't add any additives and
> haven't seen any adverse effects with the 2-stroke engine.

Bad form, etc, but I do the job in a big glass jar, so I can see
everything that's going on.

--
Cab
Z1000 and CB1300 and VeloSolex 3800

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<iqc16mF7s7rU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3946&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3946

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:33:26 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 16:33 UTC

On 11/09/2021 11:42, Pipl wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 11:39:19 +0200, Ace <Ace@ch.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 16:12:03 +0100, siwilson
>> <siwilson@nodamnspam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I didn't fully explain. I've bought some E10 and got it in a jerry can.
>>>
>>> The process to remove the ethanol involves adding (preferably coloured)
>>> water to the fuel, shake it up and then let it settle. The resultant
>>> coloured layer should contain both the added water + the ethanol. The
>>> proof will be when I measure the quantity of coloured liquid which
>>> should equal the amount of added water + 10% of the fuel I started with.
>>
>> I know there was a thread about this recently, but I misremember
>> exactly why you'd want to remove the Ethanol. Is this for some
>> particular engine that won't tolerate it for some reason?
>
> I think it's to do with older engines that use materials not
> compatible with Ethanol, such as brass inside carbs, plastic or rubber
> parts that soften and/or swell.

Brass and ethanol? Is that really a problem?

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<ai02kgtqiqf4soouthcst168vldgbtid88@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3948&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3948

From: plusc...@live.co.uk (Pipl)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 21:13:15 +0100
 by: Pipl - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 20:13 UTC

On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 17:33:26 +0100, "ChrisND @UKRM"
<chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:

>Brass and ethanol? Is that really a problem?

I thought it was, but ICBW

--

-Pip

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<d5912fa2-85d8-4bb8-ba02-f6162ec869bbn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3964&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3964

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 04:22:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: nigel.ea...@gmail.com (WUN)
 by: WUN - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 11:22 UTC

On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 5:33:29 PM UTC+1, ChrisND @UKRM wrote:

> Brass and ethanol

Great, now I'm earwormed with Dr Feelgood...

--
WUN

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<iqed5eFlmg5U2@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3965&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3965

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 15:09:43 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 14:09 UTC

WUN wrote:

> ChrisND @UKRM wrote:
>
>> Brass and ethanol
>
> Great, now I'm earwormed with Dr Feelgood...

genuine LOL

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<iqh9o5F8akdU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3978&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3978

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 17:29:58 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 16:29 UTC

On 15/09/2021 12:22, WUN wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 5:33:29 PM UTC+1, ChrisND @UKRM wrote:
>
>> Brass and ethanol
>
> Great, now I'm earwormed with Dr Feelgood...

:-)
What's not to like?

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t
http://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<ji07kgltpdtgq0lu86bkkgq1rbbrc69tt4@4ax.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3981&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3981

From: Ace...@ch.com (Ace)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 19:44:49 +0200
 by: Ace - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 17:44 UTC

On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 17:29:58 +0100, "ChrisND @UKRM"
<chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:

>On 15/09/2021 12:22, WUN wrote:
>> On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 5:33:29 PM UTC+1, ChrisND @UKRM wrote:
>>
>>> Brass and ethanol
>>
>> Great, now I'm earwormed with Dr Feelgood...
>>
>:-)
>What's not to like?

It could be worse - my brain managed to morph it into Tiger Feet.

--
Ace
http://www.chaletbeauroc.com/

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<iqje7aFkr4rU1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3986&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#3986

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 12:58:34 +0100
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 11:58 UTC

On 16/09/2021 18:44, Ace wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2021 17:29:58 +0100, "ChrisND @UKRM"
> <chrisnd@privacy.net> wrote:

>>> Great, now I'm earwormed with Dr Feelgood...
>>>
>> :-)
>> What's not to like?
>
> It could be worse - my brain managed to morph it into Tiger Feet.

Ha! ISWYM :-/

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t
http://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<j5vt31F21r3U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8127&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8127

From: swel...@mztech.fsnet.co.uk (sweller)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: 2 Feb 2022 17:24:49 GMT
 by: sweller - Wed, 2 Feb 2022 17:24 UTC

ChrisND @UKRM wrote:

> > I think it's to do with older engines that use materials not
> > compatible with Ethanol, such as brass inside carbs, plastic or
> > rubber parts that soften and/or swell.
> >
> Brass and ethanol? Is that really a problem?

The E10 fuel is hygroscopic and the water it collects corrodes the
brass, apparently.

Only really a problem if you leave the vehicle unused for long periods.

Personally I don't think it's any greater problem than leaving a
vehicle with E5 in the carbs. Most classic vehicle unreliability
problems are down to not being used.

--
Simon

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<j623usFeu21U1@mid.individual.net>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8142&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8142

From: chri...@privacy.net (ChrisND @UKRM)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 13:34:20 +0000
 by: ChrisND @UKRM - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 13:34 UTC

On 02/02/2022 17:24, sweller wrote:
> ChrisND @UKRM wrote:
>
>>> I think it's to do with older engines that use materials not
>>> compatible with Ethanol, such as brass inside carbs, plastic or
>>> rubber parts that soften and/or swell.
>>>
>> Brass and ethanol? Is that really a problem?
>
> The E10 fuel is hygroscopic and the water it collects corrodes the
> brass, apparently.
>
> Only really a problem if you leave the vehicle unused for long periods.
>
> Personally I don't think it's any greater problem than leaving a
> vehicle with E5 in the carbs. Most classic vehicle unreliability
> problems are down to not being used.

Fairy snuff
I won't worry then, ta
Chris

--
The Deuchars BBB#40 COFF#14
Yamaha XV750SE & Suzuki GS550t
http://www.Deuchars.org.uk

Re: Paging the petrol alchemists/Cab

<9a141173-0f1c-44c7-a721-1c058636e0bfn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8150&group=uk.rec.motorcycles#8150

Newsgroups: uk.rec.motorcycles
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2022 07:02:20 -0800 (PST)
From: brownieb...@googlemail.com (Dave Brown)
 by: Dave Brown - Thu, 3 Feb 2022 15:02 UTC

Just in case anyone still trusts the guvmint. https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-e10-petrol