From: bathwatc...@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Not particularly clever!
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 12:21:24 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 11:21 UTC

I have been using AVG anti-virus on my XP machine, and opted for the
paid-for version after AVG assured me that it would continue to work on
XP for the foreseeable future if it was at Service Pack 3 level, which
mine is.

So 2 years ago I opted for their special offer of a 2-year payment at a
reduced price. I have been happy with AVG, so when it came up with a
screen reminder that my 2 years is nearly up and did I want to renew
now, I clicked on the Renew button and then had a choice of 1-year,
2-year or 5-year durations.

Then it went pear shaped. No matter which option I chose, I saw a screen
which looked like a method of payment screen and after a couple of
seconds it was over-written by a completely blank screen. I couldn't do
anything to get that off the screen to do anything else until I opened
Task Manager and forcibly stopped the application.

A few hours later I got a reminder that I had a transaction partly
completed and did I want to complete it now? I clicked on Yes and got
the same payment screen which vanished behind the blank screen and I had
to use Task Manager to get rid of it again.

I reckon AVG have upped their security standard for their renewal
process to SSL2 and XP is stuck on SSL1, so I can't ever renew on XP. I
am now being told I have 4 days left. Hence the Subject of "Not
particularly clever!". The product runs on XP but the renewal process
doesn't.

So now I am setting up a different desktop, which had Linux on it. I
have replaced the disc with a bigger one, have installed Windows 7 Pro
on it (because that is what the MS sticker says was on it originally)
and then have re-installed Linux alongside it to get a dual boot system.
Setting up Thunderbird with my 4 POP accounts, 5 IMAP accounts and 3
News accounts, many with filters to re-create, has taken nearly 2 days.
I am now going through the long slog of finding out which XP programs
will or won't install on Windows 7. I will be left with a few which were
installed from Giveawayfortheday and cannot be installed at a later date
(so I will have to use the XP machine to run any of them), and a few
where I have to find alternative versions that will run on a 64-bit
operating system or else retain the XP use. Meanwhile I am copying over
all my user files - 200Gb is going to take a long time.

I decided it would confuse things too much to use AVG on the new build
while I still have a current but expiring product in use, so I have gone
for Avast which is from the same stable and got a good review from Which?.

Wish me luck.

Jim

Re: Not particularly clever!

<jtqdnU95R5E8a8f_nZ2dnUU7-I3NnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3881&group=uk.people.silversurfers#3881

From: flying...@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 +)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: Not particularly clever!
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 18:02:32 +0100
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?22 + - Sat, 16 Apr 2022 17:02 UTC

Indy Jess John wrote:
> I have been using AVG anti-virus on my XP machine, and opted for the
> paid-for version after AVG assured me that it would continue to work
> on XP for the foreseeable future if it was at Service Pack 3 level,
> which mine is.
>
> So 2 years ago I opted for their special offer of a 2-year payment at
> a reduced price. I have been happy with AVG, so when it came up with a
> screen reminder that my 2 years is nearly up and did I want to renew
> now, I clicked on the Renew button and then had a choice of 1-year,
> 2-year or 5-year durations.
>
> Then it went pear shaped. No matter which option I chose, I saw a
> screen which looked like a method of payment screen and after a
> couple of seconds it was over-written by a completely blank screen. I
> couldn't do anything to get that off the screen to do anything else
> until I opened Task Manager and forcibly stopped the application.
>
> A few hours later I got a reminder that I had a transaction partly
> completed and did I want to complete it now? I clicked on Yes and got
> the same payment screen which vanished behind the blank screen and I
> had to use Task Manager to get rid of it again.
>
> I reckon AVG have upped their security standard for their renewal
> process to SSL2 and XP is stuck on SSL1, so I can't ever renew on XP.
> I am now being told I have 4 days left. Hence the Subject of "Not
> particularly clever!". The product runs on XP but the renewal process
> doesn't.
>
> So now I am setting up a different desktop, which had Linux on it. I
> have replaced the disc with a bigger one, have installed Windows 7 Pro
> on it (because that is what the MS sticker says was on it originally)
> and then have re-installed Linux alongside it to get a dual boot
> system. Setting up Thunderbird with my 4 POP accounts, 5 IMAP
> accounts and 3 News accounts, many with filters to re-create, has
> taken nearly 2
> days. I am now going through the long slog of finding out which XP
> programs
> will or won't install on Windows 7. I will be left with a few which
> were installed from Giveawayfortheday and cannot be installed at a
> later date (so I will have to use the XP machine to run any of them),
> and a few where I have to find alternative versions that will run on
> a 64-bit operating system or else retain the XP use. Meanwhile I am
> copying over all my user files - 200Gb is going to take a long time.
>
> I decided it would confuse things too much to use AVG on the new build
> while I still have a current but expiring product in use, so I have
> gone for Avast which is from the same stable and got a good review
> from Which?.
> Wish me luck.
>
> Jim

As you are probably aware, I have a couple of machines running on XP.
One, Nettie (the netbook) has run AVG Internet Security (Software
version 18.8.3071- build 18.8.4084.409) October 2019, the other: Nova
is a desktop which is running Avast Premier (program version 10.4.2233).
I have an additional problem with Nova as her processor is an AMD
Sempron 2500 and this chip does not support SSE 1 or something like
that. So what there technical guys, well a couple of ladies from
somewhere in the Baltic, gave fantastic assistance to keep my Avast
working. So I'm using an old Avast program version which does work with
the AMD chip. I don't know how but they managed to set the program so
that when a new version comes out my installation doesn't upload it. We
spent around a month in a long e-mail chat sorting that out, but stuck
at it and got it working. I can now e-mail this particular engineer
when I get a problem In 2020 when my automatic renewal came up,
although they took my money, my software no longer worked, which seems
to be similar to your current situation. The technicians were able to
sort that out, but again that took a quite long exchange of emails to
sort it out. Last year the automatic renewal went ahead without a
hitch. But now I'm worrying about my AVG on Nettie as I believe that
they have recently change their renewable procedure. Mind you to get
proper technical assistance, you have to persevere. All too often the
solution you are offered is "We don't support XP, you'll have to
upgrade your system." The only alternative was to find an antivirus
that still works with XP, and the only one that I could find was
'Clamwin' and that is basically for scanning only and doesn't work in
real time, and their scanning times are so long. Good luck, hope you
can get service as good as I eventually got.
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2�22+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..