Scientists are people who build the Brooklyn Bridge and then buy it. -- William Buckley

aus+uk / uk.comp.homebuilt / Re: Microphone Recommendation

SubjectAuthor
* Microphone RecommendationJeff Gaines
+- Re: Microphone RecommendationSH
+* Re: Microphone RecommendationAndy Burns
|+* Re: Microphone RecommendationPancho
||`- Re: Microphone RecommendationAndy Burns
|`- Re: Microphone RecommendationSH
+- Re: Microphone RecommendationChris
`* Re: Microphone RecommendationJeff Gaines
 +- Re: Microphone RecommendationJaimie Vandenbergh
 `- Re: Microphone RecommendationPancho

1
Microphone Recommendation

<xn0o70ujq8bbkby000@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3876&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3876

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Microphone Recommendation
Date: 19 Sep 2023 11:13:13 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 11:13 UTC

I have to participate in a civil court case in a few weeks via Teams and
the built in mic' on my Dell Optiflex 9030 doesn't seem to work very well.

Amy suggestions for a good standalone mic? There's lots from these oddly
name Chinese companies on Amazon but while I really don't want to spend
much (I've gone 30 years without needing on and will probably never use it
again) I do need it to be clear.

Any suggestions please? Many of them are USB rather than jack plug, don't
know if that makes a difference?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
You can't tell which way the train went by looking at the tracks

Re: Microphone Recommendation

<uec04s$29g1i$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3877&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3877

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Subject: Re: Microphone Recommendation
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 12:19:56 +0100
 by: SH - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 11:19 UTC

On 19/09/2023 12:13, Jeff Gaines wrote:

> I have to participate in a civil court case in a few weeks via Teams and
> the built in mic' on my Dell Optiflex 9030 doesn't seem to work very well.
>
> Amy suggestions for a good standalone mic? There's lots from these oddly
> name Chinese companies on Amazon but while I really don't want to spend
> much (I've gone 30 years without needing on and will probably never use
> it again) I do need it to be clear.
>
> Any suggestions please? Many of them are USB rather than jack plug,
> don't know if that makes a difference?

Microphones can come as part of the webcam or as part of a headset

Look at Logitech for webcams and look at Jabbra for headsets (both jack
and USB versions available.

Re: Microphone Recommendation

<kmtjqqFfqmuU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3878&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3878

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 13:51:38 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 12:51 UTC

Jeff Gaines wrote:

> Amy suggestions for a good standalone mic?

No, but ... the best mic I have for Teams use (i.e. I've never had any
complaints about volume/clarity using it, unlike various other mics) is
a Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam.

Re: Microphone Recommendation

<uec9d4$2b91f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3880&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3880

From: Pancho.J...@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:57:57 +0100
 by: Pancho - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 13:57 UTC

On 19/09/2023 13:51, Andy Burns wrote:
> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>> Amy suggestions for a good standalone mic?
>
> No, but ... the best mic I have for Teams use (i.e. I've never had any
> complaints about volume/clarity using it, unlike various other mics) is
> a Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam.

I like the C920S with a privacy shutter!

Personally, I find a headset, gets the best response from listeners.

<https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BRNQ76ZF>

Needs bluetooth!

Re: Microphone Recommendation

<kmto61Fg79jU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3881&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3881

From: use...@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:05:53 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:05 UTC

Pancho wrote:

> I like the C920S with a privacy shutter!

I have an add-on privacy flap ...

Re: Microphone Recommendation

<uec9ua$2cjja$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3882&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3882

From: ithink...@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:07:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:znEIistCo4buRvguynb+X8GVFbo=
 by: Chris - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:07 UTC

Jeff Gaines <jgnewsid@outlook.com> wrote:

> I have to participate in a civil court case in a few weeks via Teams and
> the built in mic' on my Dell Optiflex 9030 doesn't seem to work very well.
>
> Amy suggestions for a good standalone mic? There's lots from these oddly
> name Chinese companies on Amazon but while I really don't want to spend
> much (I've gone 30 years without needing on and will probably never use it
> again) I do need it to be clear.
>
> Any suggestions please? Many of them are USB rather than jack plug, don't
> know if that makes a difference?

Most people use headsets for Teams calls. Jabra are the ones we use at
work, but are probably a bit pricey for you.

Standalone mics will be for music or youtube folk so could be quite
expensive for a good one.

Re: Microphone Recommendation

<xn0o70z948hp8ws001@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3883&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3883

From: jgnew...@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 19 Sep 2023 14:11:48 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:11 UTC

On 19/09/2023 in message <xn0o70ujq8bbkby000@news.individual.net> Jeff
Gaines wrote:

>Amy suggestions for a good standalone mic? There's lots from these oddly
>name Chinese companies on Amazon but while I really don't want to spend
>much (I've gone 30 years without needing on and will probably never use it
>again) I do need it to be clear.
>
>Any suggestions please? Many of them are USB rather than jack plug, don't
>know if that makes a difference?

Many thanks for the replies everybody :-)

I don't need a webcam really so went for the base wired Jabbra.

Just a thought for Pancho - are there latency issues with Bluetooth? I
have a Re.Corder (electronic recorder) and it comes with lots of warnings
about latency if you use Bluetooth headphones.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
If you ever find something you like buy a lifetime supply because they

Re: Microphone Recommendation

<kmtqhnFgus8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3884&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3884

From: jai...@usually.sessile.org (Jaimie Vandenbergh)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: 19 Sep 2023 14:46:15 GMT
 by: Jaimie Vandenbergh - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 14:46 UTC

On 19 Sep 2023 at 15:11:48 BST, ""Jeff Gaines"" <jgnewsid@outlook.com>
wrote:

> On 19/09/2023 in message <xn0o70ujq8bbkby000@news.individual.net> Jeff
> Gaines wrote:
>
>> Amy suggestions for a good standalone mic? There's lots from these oddly
>> name Chinese companies on Amazon but while I really don't want to spend
>> much (I've gone 30 years without needing on and will probably never use it
>> again) I do need it to be clear.
>>
>> Any suggestions please? Many of them are USB rather than jack plug, don't
>> know if that makes a difference?
>
> Many thanks for the replies everybody :-)
>
> I don't need a webcam really so went for the base wired Jabbra.
>
> Just a thought for Pancho - are there latency issues with Bluetooth? I
> have a Re.Corder (electronic recorder) and it comes with lots of warnings
> about latency if you use Bluetooth headphones.

There can be, depends how well *both* ends of the bt connection have
implemented things. Worst case is shitty bt speakers with two seconds of
delay, best case is inaudible except to the very sensitive.

I only use bt audio for Apple stuff which unsurprisingly does very well
indeed, so I can't suggest options outside that garden.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I
have been searching for evidence which could support this" -- Bertrand Russell

Re: Microphone Recommendation

<uece0k$2b6qe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3885&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3885

From: Pancho.J...@proton.me (Pancho)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 16:16:37 +0100
 by: Pancho - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 15:16 UTC

On 19/09/2023 15:11, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 19/09/2023 in message <xn0o70ujq8bbkby000@news.individual.net> Jeff
> Gaines wrote:
>
>> Amy suggestions for a good standalone mic? There's lots from these
>> oddly name Chinese companies on Amazon but while I really don't want
>> to spend much (I've gone 30 years without needing on and will probably
>> never use it again) I do need it to be clear.
>>
>> Any suggestions please? Many of them are USB rather than jack plug,
>> don't know if that makes a difference?
>
> Many thanks for the replies everybody :-)
>
> I don't need a webcam really so went for the base wired Jabbra.
>
> Just a thought for Pancho - are there latency issues with Bluetooth? I
> have a Re.Corder (electronic recorder) and it comes with lots of
> warnings about latency if you use Bluetooth headphones.

I don't really know. I use the headset for the telephone, I doubt I
would notice a Bluetooth 34-200 millisecond latency.

I also use different Bluetooth headphones for TV. There, I would notice
a lag between picture and sound, caused by latency, but I don't. In the
past, I used to notice a lag, but not any more. The improvement could be
due to Bluetooth latency getting better, or due to Media players getting
better and shifting the audio forward a few milliseconds, to compensate
for a known latency. Either way, it is not a problem for me, but your
needs may vary.

Re: Microphone Recommendation

<uecrc1$2g1h0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=3887&group=uk.comp.homebuilt#3887

From: i.l...@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.comp.homebuilt
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 20:04:33 +0100
 by: SH - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 19:04 UTC

On 19/09/2023 13:51, Andy Burns wrote:
> Jeff Gaines wrote:
>
>> Amy suggestions for a good standalone mic?
>
> No, but ... the best mic I have for Teams use (i.e. I've never had any
> complaints about volume/clarity using it, unlike various other mics) is
> a Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam.

which is the webcam I use coincidentally