When does summertime come to Minnesota, you ask? Well, last year, I think it was a Tuesday.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Channel 799 freeview

SubjectAuthor
* Channel 799 freeviewBrian Gaff
`* Re: Channel 799 freeviewDave W
 +- Re: Channel 799 freeviewjaouad zarrabi
 +* Re: Channel 799 freeviewMark Carver
 |+- Re: Channel 799 freeviewBrian Gaff
 |+* Re: Channel 799 freeviewNY
 ||`* Re: Channel 799 freeviewMark Carver
 || `* Re: Channel 799 freeviewNY
 ||  `* Re: Channel 799 freeviewMark Carver
 ||   `* Re: Channel 799 freeviewNY
 ||    `- Re: Channel 799 freeviewMark Carver
 |`- Re: Channel 799 freeviewPaul Ratcliffe
 `- Re: Channel 799 freeviewBrian Gaff

1
Channel 799 freeview

<toubtu$1nslh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38893&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38893

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Channel 799 freeview
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:33:32 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:33 UTC

What is the purpose of this channel? It merely seems to be telling people
withSat receivers that there will be changes but it won't affect anyone.
huh?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Channel 799 freeview

<fdd6rhparopi8rc54s3ded4bu9idh3gj83@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38905&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38905

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Channel 799 freeview
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2023 20:00:07 +0000
 by: Dave W - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 20:00 UTC

On Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:33:32 -0000, "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com>
wrote:
>What is the purpose of this channel? It merely seems to be telling people
>withSat receivers that there will be changes but it won't affect anyone.
>huh?
> Brian
Weird! Channel 799 on Freesat has the identical wording. However, when
the 'information' button is pressed on my Freeview SD receiver, it
says "No changes needed", but Freesat on my HD receiver says "More BBC
channels available in HD". So it only affects people with HD Freeview
or Freesat.
--
Dave W

Re: Channel 799 freeview

<d6e4aaee-46e0-432b-9fbb-a19953511ac0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38908&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38908

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 13:25:05 -0800 (PST)
From: jzarrab...@gmail.com (jaouad zarrabi)
 by: jaouad zarrabi - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 21:25 UTC

El lunes, 2 de enero de 2023 a las 21:09:24 UTC+1, Dave W escribió:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:33:32 -0000, "Brian Gaff" <brian...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >What is the purpose of this channel? It merely seems to be telling people
> >withSat receivers that there will be changes but it won't affect anyone.
> >huh?
> > Brian
> Weird! Channel 799 on Freesat has the identical wording. However, when
> the 'information' button is pressed on my Freeview SD receiver, it
> says "No changes needed", but Freesat on my HD receiver says "More BBC
> channels available in HD". So it only affects people with HD Freeview
> or Freesat.
> --
> Dave W
Convert your invoices into cash Or Purchase now - pay 120 days later!
With our office Registred VAT number: GB301 5476 35 / Company number: 9488169 And Based in Londres - UK can offers :
1- Trade Finance for IMPORTERS
Purchase now - pay 120 days later!
Invoice financing for your purchases - credit limits up to $10M (USD) within 48 hours.
2- When your business needs cash...Convert your invoices into cash with a leading online lender. ( High limit Up to $10M (USD) - High-speed 48 hours - Convenient
Only 2 docs )
Our office is the largest and fastest-growing online platform for financing small and medium-size businesses engaged in international trade. Stenn is based in London, provides financing services in 74 countries and is backed by financial giants like HSBC, Barclays, Natixis and many others. For 2022 we are ranked in the Financial Times’ list of 1000 Europe’s Fastest Growing Companies.
Our office connects international SMEs to the global financial system. Our clients are small and medium-size businesses that trade between one country and another - for example, between China and the United States or Vietnam and Germany. On our office you can apply for financing and trade credit protection from $10 000 to $10 million (USD) within 48 hours.
https://app.stenn.com/referral-space/personal-sales-page/ES04699

Re: Channel 799 freeview

<k1i6lcFti36U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38913&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38913

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 08:17:48 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 08:17 UTC

On 02/01/2023 20:00, Dave W wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:33:32 -0000, "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What is the purpose of this channel? It merely seems to be telling people
>> withSat receivers that there will be changes but it won't affect anyone.
>> huh?
>> Brian
> Weird! Channel 799 on Freesat has the identical wording. However, when
> the 'information' button is pressed on my Freeview SD receiver, it
> says "No changes needed", but Freesat on my HD receiver says "More BBC
> channels available in HD". So it only affects people with HD Freeview
> or Freesat.
Between now and April on Freeview, Freesat, and Sky the much awaited BBC
1 HD regions launch.

On Freesat and Sky, once the regions have launched HD versions, all the
SD versions will close, to be replaced by a single national version of
BBC 1 in SD.
Obviously anybody with an SD only satellite box will need to upgrade to
HD to receive BBC 1 with regional progs. Sky are offereing free upgrades
for any of their subscribers still with an SD box.
Very few SD Freesat boxes exist, but presumably this 799 page is to
gauge reaction.
This time next year, the BBC are hoping to ditch the SD versions of BBC
2, 3, 4, and News on satellite too.

The HD regions will also launch on Freeview, but (as no bandwidth will
be saved) they will continue also in SD for the time being. However, I
suspect some people may have to run a Freeview rescan, because the
regional BBC 1 HD might have different PIDS, to the current national
version  ?

Re: Channel 799 freeview

<tp1q7c$26e28$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38942&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38942

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 17:55:53 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 17:55 UTC

Since the set in this case has no dish or receiver, it seems rather
pointless having it, Maybe the built in text speech does not read
everything which is on the screen?
of late the screenreader on the Samsung has been getting confused. For
example on Pick it says Sky arts container and then obliterates what its
saying about the channel and you have to go in and make it say it again..
Also some channels say BBC Paragraph, for no apparent reason.
Then on channels that cannot have AD it is silent, but channels that do
allow it it says Audio description, but when it really does have it it says
broadcasting with audio description then says audio description again, and
if there are captions as well it sandwiches it in the middle. However the
program guide seems not to let you find this info out, and the new so called
accessible guide on 555, simply does not work.
I think this is a typical case of fix one issue, and create three others
and did not check for before you would it out to real blind people.
I'm sure the public these days are being used as testers.
Brian

--

--:
"Dave W" <davewi11@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:33:32 -0000, "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>What is the purpose of this channel? It merely seems to be telling people
>>withSat receivers that there will be changes but it won't affect anyone.
>>huh?
>> Brian
>
> Weird! Channel 799 on Freesat has the identical wording. However, when
> the 'information' button is pressed on my Freeview SD receiver, it
> says "No changes needed", but Freesat on my HD receiver says "More BBC
> channels available in HD". So it only affects people with HD Freeview
> or Freesat.
> --
> Dave W

Re: Channel 799 freeview

<tp1qta$26gc7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38943&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38943

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 18:07:35 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 18:07 UTC

Well a lot of the Freeview sd boxes do exist with blind people as the
Smartalk Goodman's unit is still used by many with a more reliable remote
control and they are being refurbished by several companies as are the old
TV Onics boxes as they can be made to speak too.
I do also get a trifle annoyed that some of the catch up services now
available do not have the AD track as an option, Since Apple TV manage it on
their services and to some extent so do netflix, its hardly rocket science
any more.
I noticed for example the other night that a channel on Samsung is re
running Relic Hunter. It was I believe made for Sky and always used to have
AD, but not the ones running on Samsung,as there seems no way to actually
select that on the channel.

Even ch 5 running NCIS seems to have lost the ad track they used to have
before.
Its very wasteful and a little insulting to us that somebody thought it was
worth paying for these tracks but then it never travels with the shows half
the time.
Brian

--

--:
"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 02/01/2023 20:00, Dave W wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Jan 2023 10:33:32 -0000, "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What is the purpose of this channel? It merely seems to be telling
>>> people
>>> withSat receivers that there will be changes but it won't affect anyone.
>>> huh?
>>> Brian
>> Weird! Channel 799 on Freesat has the identical wording. However, when
>> the 'information' button is pressed on my Freeview SD receiver, it
>> says "No changes needed", but Freesat on my HD receiver says "More BBC
>> channels available in HD". So it only affects people with HD Freeview
>> or Freesat.
> Between now and April on Freeview, Freesat, and Sky the much awaited BBC 1
> HD regions launch.
>
> On Freesat and Sky, once the regions have launched HD versions, all the SD
> versions will close, to be replaced by a single national version of BBC 1
> in SD.
> Obviously anybody with an SD only satellite box will need to upgrade to HD
> to receive BBC 1 with regional progs. Sky are offereing free upgrades for
> any of their subscribers still with an SD box.
> Very few SD Freesat boxes exist, but presumably this 799 page is to gauge
> reaction.
> This time next year, the BBC are hoping to ditch the SD versions of BBC 2,
> 3, 4, and News on satellite too.
>
> The HD regions will also launch on Freeview, but (as no bandwidth will be
> saved) they will continue also in SD for the time being. However, I
> suspect some people may have to run a Freeview rescan, because the
> regional BBC 1 HD might have different PIDS, to the current national
> version ?

Re: Channel 799 freeview

<_s-cnXT3WuxkLSn-nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38944&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38944

Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 22:49:24 +0000
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
 by: NY - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 22:49 UTC

On 03/01/2023 08:17, Mark Carver wrote:
> On Freesat and Sky, once the regions have launched HD versions, all the
> SD versions will close, to be replaced by a single national version of
> BBC 1 in SD.
> Obviously anybody with an SD only satellite box will need to upgrade to
> HD to receive BBC 1 with regional progs. Sky are offereing free upgrades
> for any of their subscribers still with an SD box.
> Very few SD Freesat boxes exist, but presumably this 799 page is to
> gauge reaction.
> This time next year, the BBC are hoping to ditch the SD versions of BBC
> 2, 3, 4, and News on satellite too.

In the grand scheme of things, how much extra would it have cost to keep
SD versions of BBC2, 3, 4, and News? I can understand the thinking
behind only keeping one national version of BBC1 SD once all the
regional versions of BBC1 HD are available, but if they feel there is a
need for BBC1 SD after that, surely there is an identical need for BBC2,
3, 4, and News in SD.

Or am I missing something?

Re: Channel 799 freeview

<k1kou2Fb8l0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38951&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38951

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 07:41:54 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 07:41 UTC

On 03/01/2023 22:49, NY wrote:
> On 03/01/2023 08:17, Mark Carver wrote:
>> On Freesat and Sky, once the regions have launched HD versions, all
>> the SD versions will close, to be replaced by a single national
>> version of BBC 1 in SD.
>> Obviously anybody with an SD only satellite box will need to upgrade
>> to HD to receive BBC 1 with regional progs. Sky are offereing free
>> upgrades for any of their subscribers still with an SD box.
>> Very few SD Freesat boxes exist, but presumably this 799 page is to
>> gauge reaction.
>> This time next year, the BBC are hoping to ditch the SD versions of
>> BBC 2, 3, 4, and News on satellite too.
>

> In the grand scheme of things, how much extra would it have cost to
> keep SD versions of BBC2, 3, 4, and News? I can understand the
> thinking behind only keeping one national version of BBC1 SD once all
> the regional versions of BBC1 HD are available, but if they feel there
> is a need for BBC1 SD after that, surely there is an identical need
> for BBC2, 3, 4, and News in SD.
>
> Or am I missing something?

How many SD only satellite boxes might you expect to still be in use
this time next year ?

Re: Channel 799 freeview

<tp3h2a$2eeum$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38953&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38953

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 09:32:20 -0000
 by: NY - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 09:32 UTC

> On 03/01/2023 22:49, NY wrote:
>> In the grand scheme of things, how much extra would it have cost to keep
>> SD versions of BBC2, 3, 4, and News? I can understand the thinking behind
>> only keeping one national version of BBC1 SD once all the regional
>> versions of BBC1 HD are available, but if they feel there is a need for
>> BBC1 SD after that, surely there is an identical need for BBC2, 3, 4, and
>> News in SD.
>>
>> Or am I missing something?
>
> How many SD only satellite boxes might you expect to still be in use this
> time next year ?

That's a perfectly valid point. In which case, why are they planning to keep
a single BBC 1 SD on DVB-S? Surely the reason you give applies equally to
all channels that have (or will have) an HD equivalent.

Re: Channel 799 freeview

<k1kvj2Fb8l0U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38956&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38956

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 09:35:29 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 09:35 UTC

On 04/01/2023 09:32, NY wrote:
> "Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 03/01/2023 22:49, NY wrote:
>>> In the grand scheme of things, how much extra would it have cost to
>>> keep SD versions of BBC2, 3, 4, and News? I can understand the
>>> thinking behind only keeping one national version of BBC1 SD once
>>> all the regional versions of BBC1 HD are available, but if they feel
>>> there is a need for BBC1 SD after that, surely there is an identical
>>> need for BBC2, 3, 4, and News in SD.
>>>
>>> Or am I missing something?
>>
>> How many SD only satellite boxes might you expect to still be in use
>> this time next year ?
>
> That's a perfectly valid point. In which case, why are they planning
> to keep a single BBC 1 SD on DVB-S? Surely the reason you give applies
> equally to all channels that have (or will have) an HD equivalent.

My understanding is by this April the only SD version of BBC 1 available
on satellite will be a single national version.

Around Spring 2024 all BBC SD channels on satellite will cease
(including BBC 1)

Re: Channel 799 freeview

<tp3klv$2eqrg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38959&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38959

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 10:33:52 -0000
 by: NY - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 10:33 UTC

> On 04/01/2023 09:32, NY wrote:
>> "Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>>> How many SD only satellite boxes might you expect to still be in use
>>> this time next year ?
>>
>> That's a perfectly valid point. In which case, why are they planning to
>> keep a single BBC 1 SD on DVB-S? Surely the reason you give applies
>> equally to all channels that have (or will have) an HD equivalent.
>
> My understanding is by this April the only SD version of BBC 1 available
> on satellite will be a single national version.
>
> Around Spring 2024 all BBC SD channels on satellite will cease (including
> BBC 1)

Ah, I hadn't seen anything about the Spring 2024 date.

Re: Channel 799 freeview

<k1l37hFb8l0U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38960&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38960

From: mark.car...@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 10:37:37 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 10:37 UTC

On 04/01/2023 10:33, NY wrote:
> "Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 04/01/2023 09:32, NY wrote:
>>> "Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>>> That's a perfectly valid point. In which case, why are they planning
>>> to keep a single BBC 1 SD on DVB-S? Surely the reason you give
>>> applies equally to all channels that have (or will have) an HD
>>> equivalent.
>>
>> My understanding is by this April the only SD version of BBC 1
>> available on satellite will be a single national version.
>>
>> Around Spring 2024 all BBC SD channels on satellite will cease
>> (including BBC 1)
>
> Ah, I hadn't seen anything about the Spring 2024 date.

You didn't read the link I posted in the thread I started on Dec 23rd then ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/articles/2022/BBC-One-HD-rollout-England

Re: Channel 799 freeview

<slrnts7m2l.182c.abuse@news.pr.network>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39176&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39176

From: abu...@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78 (Paul Ratcliffe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 10:41:25 GMT
Sender: abuse@win7.lan
 by: Paul Ratcliffe - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 10:41 UTC

On Tue, 3 Jan 2023 08:17:48 +0000, Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

> The HD regions will also launch on Freeview, but (as no bandwidth will
> be saved) they will continue also in SD for the time being. However, I
> suspect some people may have to run a Freeview rescan, because the
> regional BBC 1 HD might have different PIDS, to the current national
> version  ?

I'd have thought that was inevitable for everyone (or almost everyone) in
England. But who knows what may actually happen.