The gods gave man fire and he invented fire engines. They gave him love and he invented marriage.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

SubjectAuthor
* Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland fromNY
+- Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland fromBrian Gregory
`* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 202Brian Gaff
 `* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland fromR. Mark Clayton
  `* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland fromDavid Woolley
   `* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland fromNY
    +* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland fromDavid Woolley
    |`- Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland fromMax Demian
    `* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 202John Hall
     `* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland fromWoody
      `* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 202Brian Gaff
       `* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 202Dave W
        `* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland fromMax Demian
         `* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 202NY
          `* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland fromBrian Gregory
           +- Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland fromMax Demian
           `* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland fromNY
            `* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 202Jim Lesurf
             `* Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 202NY
              `- Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland fromjaouad zarrabi

1
Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<4IGdndcx_fwcmgD-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38453&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38453

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 00:04:14 +0000
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
Subject: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from
January 2023
 by: NY - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 00:04 UTC

https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/smithsonian-channel-closing-falls-victim-to-streaming

The Smithsonian Channel will cease broadcasting in the UK and Ireland.
Its programmes will continue to be available online.

Why is it always the interesting channels that close down, and the
"complete arse-gravy" (a Stephen Fry-ism, IIRC *) channels such as
shopping, lifestyle, makeover and low-budget music video which are
allowed to live to see another day.

There's evidently money to be made in religious channels, since I see 4
have been added to Freeview recently. Important for those people who
actually believe in it.

(*) Ah yes,
https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/493218-it-is-complete-loose-stool-water-it-is-arse-gravy-of
;-)

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<k04iteFsoi5U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38454&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38454

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
January 2023
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 01:04:46 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 01:04 UTC

On 17/12/2022 00:04, NY wrote:
> https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/smithsonian-channel-closing-falls-victim-to-streaming
>
> The Smithsonian Channel will cease broadcasting in the UK and Ireland.
> Its programmes will continue to be available online.

Shame. :-(

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<tnk628$3kuf8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38463&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38463

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 10:35:46 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 10:35 UTC

So who makes such decisions, and on what data?
I'd have thought that this particular channel was very popular, BECAUSE ift
not just an on line one.
However it has recently started to regurgitate stuff from other channels
recently, and maybe that is the issue here.

I'm not sure of the point of channels like Legend, Blaze and others now. I
think they should mostly be forced into a channel group called regurgitated
TV.
We do not need all these channels with the same stuff on them at different
times, do we?
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"NY" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/smithsonian-channel-closing-falls-victim-to-streaming
>
> The Smithsonian Channel will cease broadcasting in the UK and Ireland. Its
> programmes will continue to be available online.
>

> Why is it always the interesting channels that close down, and the
> "complete arse-gravy" (a Stephen Fry-ism, IIRC *) channels such as
> shopping, lifestyle, makeover and low-budget music video which are allowed
> to live to see another day.
>
> There's evidently money to be made in religious channels, since I see 4
> have been added to Freeview recently. Important for those people who
> actually believe in it.
>

> (*) Ah yes,
> https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/493218-it-is-complete-loose-stool-water-it-is-arse-gravy-of
> ;-)

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<9da72eea-ef46-4893-9df0-71c21552a06en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38468&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38468

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 10:18:35 -0800 (PST)
January 2023
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 18:18 UTC

On Saturday, 17 December 2022 at 10:35:53 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
> So who makes such decisions, and on what data?

The content provider, usually on advertising revenue, unless they are selling directly, then sales.

In this case most of the viewers are likely to be techie and living in developed countries, so they can easily move online and save satellite transponder revenue.

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<tnl23c$3n7to$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38469&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38469

From: dav...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
January 2023
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 18:34:20 +0000
 by: David Woolley - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 18:34 UTC

On 17/12/2022 18:18, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> In this case most of the viewers are likely to be techie and living in developed countries, so they can easily move online and save satellite transponder revenue.

They may also be skilled at recording and skipping the adverts, whereas,
online, it can be more difficult to avoid the adverts.

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<uvucnQtYPO4vgQP-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38470&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38470

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 19:46:56 +0000
January 2023
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 19:46 UTC

On 17/12/2022 18:34, David Woolley wrote:
> On 17/12/2022 18:18, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>> In this case most of the viewers are likely to be techie and living in
>> developed countries, so they can easily move online and save satellite
>> transponder revenue.
>
> They may also be skilled at recording and skipping the adverts, whereas,
> online, it can be more difficult to avoid the adverts.

I certainly don't watch adverts. Either I skip over them by editing them
out of the recording, or else I mute the sound and do something else if
I'm watching online and the technology won't let me skip over them.

Does anyone actually sit through the adverts and watch them as if they
were part of the programme? Doesn't everyone get up fr a pee or to make
a cup of tea during the adverts?

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<tnl9id$3o3la$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38474&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38474

From: dav...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
January 2023
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 20:41:48 +0000
 by: David Woolley - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 20:41 UTC

On 17/12/2022 19:46, NY wrote:
> I certainly don't watch adverts. Either I skip over them by editing them
> out of the recording, or else I mute the sound and do something else if
> I'm watching online and the technology won't let me skip over them.

You're not a suitable product for a commercial TV channel! I assume
they have moved out of UK FreeView because the product quality was too poor.

> Does anyone actually sit through the adverts and watch them as if they
> were part of the programme? Doesn't everyone get up fr a pee or to make
> a cup of tea during the adverts?

You Tube seem to think passing exposure to 5 seconds of the branding,
often enough, is quite effective.

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<o4uso0Hz3injFwJ4@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38475&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38475

From: john_nos...@jhall.co.uk (John Hall)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 21:00:35 +0000
 by: John Hall - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 21:00 UTC

In message <uvucnQtYPO4vgQP-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
<me@privacy.net> writes
>Does anyone actually sit through the adverts and watch them as if they
>were part of the programme? Doesn't everyone get up fr a pee or to make
>a cup of tea during the adverts?

Very occasionally an advert can be better than most programmes, though.
I'd sooner watch almost any Specsavers ad than most programmes, for
example. And at this time of year, the adverts for perfumes have a
certain charm of their own. Presumably the idea is to make men think
that, if they will only buy the advertised scent for their wife or
girlfriend, she will magically be transformed into a sex goddess.
--
John Hall "Do you have cornflakes in America?"
"Well, actually, they're American."

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<tnlc2l$3ofe4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38477&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38477

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
January 2023
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 21:24:36 +0000
 by: Woody - Sat, 17 Dec 2022 21:24 UTC

On Sat 17/12/2022 21:00, John Hall wrote:
> In message <uvucnQtYPO4vgQP-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
> <me@privacy.net> writes
>> Does anyone actually sit through the adverts and watch them as if they
>> were part of the programme? Doesn't everyone get up fr a pee or to
>> make a cup of tea during the adverts?
>
> Very occasionally an advert can be better than most programmes, though.
> I'd sooner watch almost any Specsavers ad than most programmes, for
> example.  And at this time of year, the adverts for perfumes have a
> certain charm of their own. Presumably the idea is to make men think
> that, if they will only buy the advertised scent for their wife or
> girlfriend, she will magically be transformed into a sex goddess.

You mean it isn't true????

Damn!

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<tnn24v$3vgiu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38485&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38485

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:47:27 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:47 UTC

Well I find it a little annoying that on some channels you get audio
described adverts, while on others you don't Specsavers makes little sense
unless you can see the picture or hear the narration. Many of the sale ads
for shops are the same, a lot of the Virgin ads are the same.
It is nice to listen to Waitrose adds as they paint a pastoral yesteryear
that probably never actually existed.
Brian

--

--:
"Woody" <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On Sat 17/12/2022 21:00, John Hall wrote:
>> In message <uvucnQtYPO4vgQP-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
>> <me@privacy.net> writes
>>> Does anyone actually sit through the adverts and watch them as if they
>>> were part of the programme? Doesn't everyone get up fr a pee or to make
>>> a cup of tea during the adverts?
>>
>> Very occasionally an advert can be better than most programmes, though.
>> I'd sooner watch almost any Specsavers ad than most programmes, for
>> example. And at this time of year, the adverts for perfumes have a
>> certain charm of their own. Presumably the idea is to make men think
>> that, if they will only buy the advertised scent for their wife or
>> girlfriend, she will magically be transformed into a sex goddess.
>
> You mean it isn't true????
>
> Damn!

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<tnng8u$if0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38490&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38490

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
January 2023
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 16:48:30 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 16:48 UTC

On 17/12/2022 20:41, David Woolley wrote:
> On 17/12/2022 19:46, NY wrote:
>> I certainly don't watch adverts. Either I skip over them by editing
>> them out of the recording, or else I mute the sound and do something
>> else if I'm watching online and the technology won't let me skip over
>> them.
>
> You're not a suitable product for a commercial TV channel!  I assume
> they have moved out of UK FreeView because the product quality was too
> poor.
>
>> Does anyone actually sit through the adverts and watch them as if they
>> were part of the programme? Doesn't everyone get up fr a pee or to make
>> a cup of tea during the adverts?
>
> You Tube seem to think passing exposure to 5 seconds of the branding,
> often enough, is quite effective.

They often have 20 or 30 seconds of adverts. Then another 5 seconds. Or
where you have to watch the bottom rhs to check for the skip option.
Then the video isn't worth watching.

--
Max Demian

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<66tuphplde5or6fmt163nu1o70p2ahj1a8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38492&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38492

From: davew...@yahoo.co.uk (Dave W)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:21:13 +0000
 by: Dave W - Sun, 18 Dec 2022 20:21 UTC

On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:47:27 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>Well I find it a little annoying that on some channels you get audio
>described adverts, while on others you don't Specsavers makes little sense
>unless you can see the picture or hear the narration. Many of the sale ads
>for shops are the same, a lot of the Virgin ads are the same.
> It is nice to listen to Waitrose adds as they paint a pastoral yesteryear
>that probably never actually existed.
> Brian
I was watching a recording on my Humax Foxsat HDR recorder, and
suddenly realised that the woman's voice describing scenes was audio
description, not part of the programme. I discovered that my recorder
had been set to record audio description, but I did not know that
there is no way to switch it off during replay.
--
Dave W

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<tnpvp0$catn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38516&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38516

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
January 2023
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 15:25:20 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 15:25 UTC

On 18/12/2022 20:21, Dave W wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Dec 2022 12:47:27 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well I find it a little annoying that on some channels you get audio
>> described adverts, while on others you don't Specsavers makes little sense
>> unless you can see the picture or hear the narration. Many of the sale ads
>> for shops are the same, a lot of the Virgin ads are the same.
>> It is nice to listen to Waitrose adds as they paint a pastoral yesteryear
>> that probably never actually existed.
>> Brian
>
> I was watching a recording on my Humax Foxsat HDR recorder, and
> suddenly realised that the woman's voice describing scenes was audio
> description, not part of the programme. I discovered that my recorder
> had been set to record audio description, but I did not know that
> there is no way to switch it off during replay.

I thought that selecting AD (which is always in addition to the "normal"
sound) can always be selected on playback, like subtitles. I think
that's the case with my Freeview Fox. Perhaps the broadcasters
transmitted the sound incorrectly.

--
Max Demian

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<tnqgdk$e64i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38519&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38519

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2022 20:09:41 -0000
References: <4IGdndcx_fwcmgD-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <tnk628$3kuf8$1@dont-email.me> <9da72eea-ef46-4893-9df0-71c21552a06en@googlegroups.com> <tnl23c$3n7to$1@dont-email.me> <uvucnQtYPO4vgQP-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <o4uso0Hz3injFwJ4@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <tnlc2l$3ofe4$2@dont-email.me> <tnn24v$3vgiu$1@dont-email.me> <66tuphplde5or6fmt163nu1o70p2ahj1a8@4ax.com> <tnpvp0$catn$1@dont-email.me>
 by: NY - Mon, 19 Dec 2022 20:09 UTC

"Max Demian" <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> I thought that selecting AD (which is always in addition to the "normal"
> sound) can always be selected on playback, like subtitles. I think that's
> the case with my Freeview Fox. Perhaps the broadcasters transmitted the
> sound incorrectly.

The AD track seems to be used two different ways by different broadcasters.
Either it is *in addition* to the programme sound and is narration *only*,
so the player needs to mix the two tracks together (this is what BBC and
maybe other UK broadcasters do); or else it is *instead of* the programme
sound track and is *already* a mix of programme and AD sound (this seems to
be mainly a non-UK convention). A player that is designed for the non-UK
convention (eg VLC player on a computer) will not be able to mix the two
soundtracks of a UK broadcast so the listener has to chose between AD
narration and programme sound (eg dialogue) - neither of which in its own is
sufficient.

I presume that TVs and set-top boxes that are provided by the (British)
Royal National Institute for the Blind can perform the mixing of programme
and AD tracks, and maybe can alternatively play just AD track for broadcasts
that supply AD pre-mixed with programme sound.

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<k0cno1F77pgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38521&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38521

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
January 2023
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 03:16:17 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 03:16 UTC

On 19/12/2022 20:09, NY wrote:
> "Max Demian" <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>> I thought that selecting AD (which is always in addition to the
>> "normal" sound) can always be selected on playback, like subtitles. I
>> think that's the case with my Freeview Fox. Perhaps the broadcasters
>> transmitted the sound incorrectly.
>
> The AD track seems to be used two different ways by different
> broadcasters. Either it is *in addition* to the programme sound and is
> narration *only*, so the player needs to mix the two tracks together
> (this is what BBC and maybe other UK broadcasters do); or else it is
> *instead of* the programme sound track and is *already* a mix of
> programme and AD sound (this seems to be mainly a non-UK convention). A
> player that is designed for the non-UK convention (eg VLC player on a
> computer) will not be able to mix the two soundtracks of a UK broadcast
> so the listener has to chose between AD narration and programme sound
> (eg dialogue) - neither of which in its own is sufficient.
>
> I presume that TVs and set-top boxes that are provided by the (British)
> Royal National Institute for the Blind can perform the mixing of
> programme and AD tracks, and maybe can alternatively play just AD track
> for broadcasts that supply AD pre-mixed with programme sound.

In my experience the BBC usually mixes the original audio with the
narration on the narration track but will often fade it down really low
while the narrator is speaking.

However it's not often I stray on to the narration track.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<tnsrts$o358$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38547&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38547

From: max_dem...@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
January 2023
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:38:04 +0000
 by: Max Demian - Tue, 20 Dec 2022 17:38 UTC

On 20/12/2022 03:16, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 19/12/2022 20:09, NY wrote:
>> "Max Demian" <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
>>> I thought that selecting AD (which is always in addition to the
>>> "normal" sound) can always be selected on playback, like subtitles. I
>>> think that's the case with my Freeview Fox. Perhaps the broadcasters
>>> transmitted the sound incorrectly.
>>
>> The AD track seems to be used two different ways by different
>> broadcasters. Either it is *in addition* to the programme sound and is
>> narration *only*, so the player needs to mix the two tracks together
>> (this is what BBC and maybe other UK broadcasters do); or else it is
>> *instead of* the programme sound track and is *already* a mix of
>> programme and AD sound (this seems to be mainly a non-UK convention).
>> A player that is designed for the non-UK convention (eg VLC player on
>> a computer) will not be able to mix the two soundtracks of a UK
>> broadcast so the listener has to chose between AD narration and
>> programme sound (eg dialogue) - neither of which in its own is
>> sufficient.
>>
>> I presume that TVs and set-top boxes that are provided by the
>> (British) Royal National Institute for the Blind can perform the
>> mixing of programme and AD tracks, and maybe can alternatively play
>> just AD track for broadcasts that supply AD pre-mixed with programme
>> sound.
>
> In my experience the BBC usually mixes the original audio with the
> narration on the narration track but will often fade it down really low
> while the narrator is speaking.
>
> However it's not often I stray on to the narration track.

My Humax HDR T2 has only one AD option, and that has both the AD and the
"normal" sound. I don't know whether that is done by mixing or a
separate channel with both.

--
Max Demian

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<AEKdneYv_LYWyj_-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38562&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38562

Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 00:47:04 +0000
January 2023
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
From: me...@privacy.net (NY)
 by: NY - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 00:47 UTC

On 20/12/2022 03:16, Brian Gregory wrote:
> In my experience the BBC usually mixes the original audio with the
> narration on the narration track but will often fade it down really low
> while the narrator is speaking.
>
> However it's not often I stray on to the narration track.

I'm sure in the past it's been on recordings from BBC channels that I've
heard complete silence on the AD track (even while characters are
visible speaking), and then suddenly there is an isolated sentence
describing some action, before silence returns. So you'd need a mix of
programme sound and AD to get the full effect if you're blind.

But checking Monday's episode of Strike (which I happen to have on the
laptop I'm using now) the AD track behaves as you describe.

Later this morning I'll check some older recordings of programmes to see
if I can find examples of the exclusive use of the AD track (ie
narration and nothing else) and see which channels do/did it like that.
You've got me starting to doubt my sanity now ;-)

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<5a5a384e9cnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38590&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38590

From: noi...@audiomisc.co.uk (Jim Lesurf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2022 10:22:42 +0000 (GMT)
References: <4IGdndcx_fwcmgD-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <tnk628$3kuf8$1@dont-email.me> <9da72eea-ef46-4893-9df0-71c21552a06en@googlegroups.com> <tnl23c$3n7to$1@dont-email.me> <uvucnQtYPO4vgQP-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <o4uso0Hz3injFwJ4@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <tnlc2l$3ofe4$2@dont-email.me> <tnn24v$3vgiu$1@dont-email.me> <66tuphplde5or6fmt163nu1o70p2ahj1a8@4ax.com> <tnpvp0$catn$1@dont-email.me> <tnqgdk$e64i$1@dont-email.me> <k0cno1F77pgU1@mid.individual.net> <AEKdneYv_LYWyj_-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>
 by: Jim Lesurf - Wed, 21 Dec 2022 10:22 UTC

In article <AEKdneYv_LYWyj_-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
<me@privacy.net> wrote:

> I'm sure in the past it's been on recordings from BBC channels that I've
> heard complete silence on the AD track (even while characters are
> visible speaking), and then suddenly there is an isolated sentence
> describing some action, before silence returns. So you'd need a mix of
> programme sound and AD to get the full effect if you're blind.

> But checking Monday's episode of Strike (which I happen to have on the
> laptop I'm using now) the AD track behaves as you describe.

> Later this morning I'll check some older recordings of programmes to see
> if I can find examples of the exclusive use of the AD track (ie
> narration and nothing else) and see which channels do/did it like that.
> You've got me starting to doubt my sanity now ;-)

If someone is using VLC or similar to capture/watch the stream they could
check what the actual streams are as it will list them, and they'll be in
the .ts file recorded.

Jim

Electronics https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<to1dgp$1bprm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38591&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38591

From: me...@privacy.invalid (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:02:51 -0000
References: <4IGdndcx_fwcmgD-nZ2dnZfqn_WdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <tnk628$3kuf8$1@dont-email.me> <9da72eea-ef46-4893-9df0-71c21552a06en@googlegroups.com> <tnl23c$3n7to$1@dont-email.me> <uvucnQtYPO4vgQP-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <o4uso0Hz3injFwJ4@jhall_nospamxx.co.uk> <tnlc2l$3ofe4$2@dont-email.me> <tnn24v$3vgiu$1@dont-email.me> <66tuphplde5or6fmt163nu1o70p2ahj1a8@4ax.com> <tnpvp0$catn$1@dont-email.me> <tnqgdk$e64i$1@dont-email.me> <k0cno1F77pgU1@mid.individual.net> <AEKdneYv_LYWyj_-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <5a5a384e9cnoise@audiomisc.co.uk>
 by: NY - Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:02 UTC

"Jim Lesurf" <noise@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <AEKdneYv_LYWyj_-nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
> <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm sure in the past it's been on recordings from BBC channels that I've
>> heard complete silence on the AD track (even while characters are
>> visible speaking), and then suddenly there is an isolated sentence
>> describing some action, before silence returns. So you'd need a mix of
>> programme sound and AD to get the full effect if you're blind.
>
>> But checking Monday's episode of Strike (which I happen to have on the
>> laptop I'm using now) the AD track behaves as you describe.
>
>> Later this morning I'll check some older recordings of programmes to see
>> if I can find examples of the exclusive use of the AD track (ie
>> narration and nothing else) and see which channels do/did it like that.
>> You've got me starting to doubt my sanity now ;-)
>
> If someone is using VLC or similar to capture/watch the stream they could
> check what the actual streams are as it will list them, and they'll be in
> the .ts file recorded.

Yes, VLC and other software shows two audio streams - one of them typically
named "NAR" (short for "narration"?). But it's a matter of what those two
audio streams contain. The programme sound will be just that - a mix of
dialogue, music and effects (maybe stereo, maybe 5.1). But the other will be
either

- narration only (no dialogue, music and effects)

- narration plus dialogue, music and effects

Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023

<a6136959-2533-44df-8495-faa3ae43686cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=38910&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#38910

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2023 13:26:02 -0800 (PST)
January 2023
From: jzarrab...@gmail.com (jaouad zarrabi)
 by: jaouad zarrabi - Mon, 2 Jan 2023 21:26 UTC

El jueves, 22 de diciembre de 2022 a las 12:02:52 UTC+1, NY escribió:
> "Jim Lesurf" <no...@audiomisc.co.uk> wrote in message
> > In article <AEKdneYv_LYWyj_-...@brightview.co.uk>, NY
> > <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I'm sure in the past it's been on recordings from BBC channels that I've
> >> heard complete silence on the AD track (even while characters are
> >> visible speaking), and then suddenly there is an isolated sentence
> >> describing some action, before silence returns. So you'd need a mix of
> >> programme sound and AD to get the full effect if you're blind.
> >
> >> But checking Monday's episode of Strike (which I happen to have on the
> >> laptop I'm using now) the AD track behaves as you describe.
> >
> >> Later this morning I'll check some older recordings of programmes to see
> >> if I can find examples of the exclusive use of the AD track (ie
> >> narration and nothing else) and see which channels do/did it like that..
> >> You've got me starting to doubt my sanity now ;-)
> >
> > If someone is using VLC or similar to capture/watch the stream they could
> > check what the actual streams are as it will list them, and they'll be in
> > the .ts file recorded.
> Yes, VLC and other software shows two audio streams - one of them typically
> named "NAR" (short for "narration"?). But it's a matter of what those two
> audio streams contain. The programme sound will be just that - a mix of
> dialogue, music and effects (maybe stereo, maybe 5.1). But the other will be
> either
>
> - narration only (no dialogue, music and effects)
>
> - narration plus dialogue, music and effects
Convert your invoices into cash Or Purchase now - pay 120 days later!
With our office Registred VAT number: GB301 5476 35 / Company number: 9488169 And Based in Londres - UK can offers :
1- Trade Finance for IMPORTERS
Purchase now - pay 120 days later!
Invoice financing for your purchases - credit limits up to $10M (USD) within 48 hours.
2- When your business needs cash...Convert your invoices into cash with a leading online lender. ( High limit Up to $10M (USD) - High-speed 48 hours - Convenient
Only 2 docs )
Our office is the largest and fastest-growing online platform for financing small and medium-size businesses engaged in international trade. Stenn is based in London, provides financing services in 74 countries and is backed by financial giants like HSBC, Barclays, Natixis and many others. For 2022 we are ranked in the Financial Times’ list of 1000 Europe’s Fastest Growing Companies.
Our office connects international SMEs to the global financial system. Our clients are small and medium-size businesses that trade between one country and another - for example, between China and the United States or Vietnam and Germany. On our office you can apply for financing and trade credit protection from $10 000 to $10 million (USD) within 48 hours.
https://app.stenn.com/referral-space/personal-sales-page/ES04699

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Smithsonian Channel to cease broadcasting in UK and Ireland from January 2023