Uh-oh!! I forgot to submit to COMPULSORY URINALYSIS!

aus+uk / uk.railway / FFP2 on trains

SubjectAuthor
* FFP2 on trainsSam Wilson
+* FFP2 on trainsAnna Noyd-Dryver
|+* FFP2 on trainsCharles Ellson
||`* FFP2 on trainsAnna Noyd-Dryver
|| `- FFP2 on trainsCharles Ellson
|`* FFP2 on trainsDick
| `- FFP2 on trainsArthur Figgis
+- FFP2 on trainsArthur Figgis
+- FFP2 on trainsBob
+* FFP2 on trainsMatthew Geier
|`- FFP2 on trainsLew 1
`* FFP2 on trainsSam Wilson
 `* FFP2 on trainsRecliner
  `* FFP2 on trainsRolf Mantel
   `- FFP2 on trainsSam Wilson

1
FFP2 on trains

<tet3lj$2i0el$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39066&group=uk.railway#39066

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: FFP2 on trains
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 14:23:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:b5dCk5RiKVhXsk58rDTTsrOmFTU=
 by: Sam Wilson - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 14:23 UTC

I, and a bunch of friends, are going on a trip to Italy and back by train -
Edinburgh-Paris, Paris-Munich, Munich-Bolzano, Verona-Lausanne,
Lausanne-Paris, Paris-Edinburgh. The reservations for the legs through
Germany say:

“Please wear an FFP2 mask. You are legally required to do so.”

Does anyone here know how seriously they take that requirement, and how
well its observed?

Thanks,

Sam (acutely aware he never did a trip report for the last time he went on
a long European trip)

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: FFP2 on trains

<tet4lp$2i42a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39074&group=uk.railway#39074

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: FFP2 on trains
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 14:40:57 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:UgNX2swrsYy6FbqG6wQf+ltni7A=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 14:40 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> I, and a bunch of friends, are going on a trip to Italy and back by train -
> Edinburgh-Paris, Paris-Munich, Munich-Bolzano, Verona-Lausanne,
> Lausanne-Paris, Paris-Edinburgh. The reservations for the legs through
> Germany say:
>
> “Please wear an FFP2 mask. You are legally required to do so.”
>
> Does anyone here know how seriously they take that requirement, and how
> well its observed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam (acutely aware he never did a trip report for the last time he went on
> a long European trip)

I was in Germany a couple of weeks ago and mask-wearing on ICE trains was
almost 100%, less so on S-Bahn, trams and buses.

No such rule in France and Switzerland and fewer masks being worn, though
not zero like UK.

Gareth Dennis is trace through Italy at the moment, I don't know whether
he's mentioned mask wearing in his thread about the trip, though.
<https://twitter.com/garethdennis/status/1563971069299642369>

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: FFP2 on trains

<bep4hhl7et6f66047b7avudt41sukjfkbj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39136&group=uk.railway#39136

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 21:23:35 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 20:23 UTC

On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 14:40:57 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
<anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> I, and a bunch of friends, are going on a trip to Italy and back by train -
>> Edinburgh-Paris, Paris-Munich, Munich-Bolzano, Verona-Lausanne,
>> Lausanne-Paris, Paris-Edinburgh. The reservations for the legs through
>> Germany say:
>>
>> “Please wear an FFP2 mask. You are legally required to do so.”
>>
>> Does anyone here know how seriously they take that requirement, and how
>> well its observed?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sam (acutely aware he never did a trip report for the last time he went on
>> a long European trip)
>>

>I was in Germany a couple of weeks ago and mask-wearing on ICE trains was
>almost 100%, less so on S-Bahn, trams and buses.
>
>No such rule in France and Switzerland and fewer masks being worn, though
>not zero like UK.

The UK is "variable" rather than zero.

>Gareth Dennis is trace through Italy at the moment, I don't know whether
>he's mentioned mask wearing in his thread about the trip, though.
><https://twitter.com/garethdennis/status/1563971069299642369>
>

>Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: FFP2 on trains

<7N-dnQ3Za7ph9I_-nZ2dnZfqnPWdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39139&group=uk.railway#39139

Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 21:39:24 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: afig...@example.invalid (Arthur Figgis)
 by: Arthur Figgis - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 20:39 UTC

On 02/09/2022 15:23, Sam Wilson wrote:
> I, and a bunch of friends, are going on a trip to Italy and back by train -
> Edinburgh-Paris, Paris-Munich, Munich-Bolzano, Verona-Lausanne,
> Lausanne-Paris, Paris-Edinburgh. The reservations for the legs through
> Germany say:
>
> “Please wear an FFP2 mask. You are legally required to do so.”
>
> Does anyone here know how seriously they take that requirement, and how
> well its observed?

Anecdata I've heard is that the Germans are enforcing it.

--
Arthur Figgis

Re: FFP2 on trains

<tetq3h$2kbgi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39142&group=uk.railway#39142

From: ann...@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 20:46:41 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jSd1xob/RPZFYyjLiNtUfF6rZC8=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 20:46 UTC

Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 14:40:57 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
> <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
>
>> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I, and a bunch of friends, are going on a trip to Italy and back by train -
>>> Edinburgh-Paris, Paris-Munich, Munich-Bolzano, Verona-Lausanne,
>>> Lausanne-Paris, Paris-Edinburgh. The reservations for the legs through
>>> Germany say:
>>>
>>> “Please wear an FFP2 mask. You are legally required to do so.”
>>>
>>> Does anyone here know how seriously they take that requirement, and how
>>> well its observed?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Sam (acutely aware he never did a trip report for the last time he went on
>>> a long European trip)
>>>

>> I was in Germany a couple of weeks ago and mask-wearing on ICE trains was
>> almost 100%, less so on S-Bahn, trams and buses.
>>
>> No such rule in France and Switzerland and fewer masks being worn, though
>> not zero like UK.
>>
> The UK is "variable" rather than zero.

Near enough zero that it's not worth quibbling about. From the thousands of
passengers I've seen this week I think I could count the mask wearers on my
fingers.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: FFP2 on trains

<f4t4hh5qrv6bo5burlqo1cujoi41003ieg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39143&group=uk.railway#39143

From: charlese...@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 22:29:04 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 21:29 UTC

On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 20:46:41 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
<anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 14:40:57 -0000 (UTC), Anna Noyd-Dryver
>> <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:

>>> I was in Germany a couple of weeks ago and mask-wearing on ICE trains was
>>> almost 100%, less so on S-Bahn, trams and buses.
>>>
>>> No such rule in France and Switzerland and fewer masks being worn, though
>>> not zero like UK.
>>>
>> The UK is "variable" rather than zero.
>>

>Near enough zero that it's not worth quibbling about. From the thousands of
>passengers I've seen this week I think I could count the mask wearers on my
>fingers.

I haven't got that many hands. Wearers tend to be older, Asian or
tourists IME but not exclusively. They do seem to disappear south of
the River[TM].

Re: FFP2 on trains

<tetthf$2klnk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39144&group=uk.railway#39144

From: ema...@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2022 23:45:19 +0200
 by: Bob - Fri, 2 Sep 2022 21:45 UTC

On 2022-09-02 14:23:47 +0000, Sam Wilson said:

> I, and a bunch of friends, are going on a trip to Italy and back by train -
> Edinburgh-Paris, Paris-Munich, Munich-Bolzano, Verona-Lausanne,
> Lausanne-Paris, Paris-Edinburgh. The reservations for the legs through
> Germany say:
>
> “Please wear an FFP2 mask. You are legally required to do so.”
>
> Does anyone here know how seriously they take that requirement, and how
> well its observed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam (acutely aware he never did a trip report for the last time he went on
> a long European trip)

I traveled through Germany in August. The timetable stated FFP2, but
the on board announcements stated medical type masks, and generally
that was enforced. In CH you can go bare-faced. Not sure about It or Fr.

Robin

Re: FFP2 on trains

<tf05n5$2up8l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39214&group=uk.railway#39214

From: inva...@invalid.com (Dick)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 19:17:08 +0100
 by: Dick - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 18:17 UTC

On 02/09/2022 15:40, Anna Noyd-Dryver wrote:
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> I, and a bunch of friends, are going on a trip to Italy and back by train -
>> Edinburgh-Paris, Paris-Munich, Munich-Bolzano, Verona-Lausanne,
>> Lausanne-Paris, Paris-Edinburgh. The reservations for the legs through
>> Germany say:
>>
>> “Please wear an FFP2 mask. You are legally required to do so.”
>>
>> Does anyone here know how seriously they take that requirement, and how
>> well its observed?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sam (acutely aware he never did a trip report for the last time he went on
>> a long European trip)
>>

> I was in Germany a couple of weeks ago and mask-wearing on ICE trains was
> almost 100%, less so on S-Bahn, trams and buses.
>
> No such rule in France and Switzerland and fewer masks being worn, though
> not zero like UK.
>
> Gareth Dennis is trace through Italy at the moment, I don't know whether
> he's mentioned mask wearing in his thread about the trip, though.
> <https://twitter.com/garethdennis/status/1563971069299642369>
>

> Anna Noyd-Dryver
Interestingly in Holland a month ago, nobody was wearing face coverings
on buses, trams or trains.

Re: FFP2 on trains

<_e-dnQH7L-woRo7-nZ2dnZfqn_qdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39227&group=uk.railway#39227

Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2022 23:56:52 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: afig...@example.invalid (Arthur Figgis)
 by: Arthur Figgis - Sat, 3 Sep 2022 22:56 UTC

On 03/09/2022 19:17, Dick wrote:

> Interestingly in Holland a month ago, nobody was wearing face coverings
> on buses, trams or trains.

What about Lindsey or Kesteven?
</someone has to say it>

--
Arthur Figgis

Re: FFP2 on trains

<tf1o62$36lak$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39245&group=uk.railway#39245

From: matt...@sleeper.apana.org.au (Matthew Geier)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2022 10:38:25 +0200
 by: Matthew Geier - Sun, 4 Sep 2022 08:38 UTC

On 2/9/22 16:23, Sam Wilson wrote:

> “Please wear an FFP2 mask. You are legally required to do so.”
>
> Does anyone here know how seriously they take that requirement, and how
> well its observed?

I'm in Munich at the moment. Nearly every one is wearing a mask on
public transport, and the trams and trains make regular announcements in
German AND English that a mask is required.

The Germans are taking the directive pretty seriously.

Re: FFP2 on trains

<720287141.684082688.618908.email-nowhere.com@web.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39404&group=uk.railway#39404

From: ema...@nowhere.com (Lew 1)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2022 14:58:44 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Lew 1 - Mon, 5 Sep 2022 14:58 UTC

Matthew Geier <matthew@sleeper.apana.org.au> wrote:
> On 2/9/22 16:23, Sam Wilson wrote:
>

>> “Please wear an FFP2 mask. You are legally required to do so.”
>>
>> Does anyone here know how seriously they take that requirement, and how
>> well its observed?
>
> I'm in Munich at the moment. Nearly every one is wearing a mask on
> public transport, and the trams and trains make regular announcements in
> German AND English that a mask is required.
>
> The Germans are taking the directive pretty seriously.

Though from my experience last month, they weren’t that bothered whether it
was an FFP2 mask or not.

Lew

Re: FFP2 on trains

<tfa00f$7j4t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39573&group=uk.railway#39573

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 11:41:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:V2F4874Ce1zyigAyXIpBciRWAY8=
 by: Sam Wilson - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 11:41 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> I, and a bunch of friends, are going on a trip to Italy and back by train -
> Edinburgh-Paris, Paris-Munich, Munich-Bolzano, Verona-Lausanne,
> Lausanne-Paris, Paris-Edinburgh. The reservations for the legs through
> Germany say:
>
> “Please wear an FFP2 mask. You are legally required to do so.”
>
> Does anyone here know how seriously they take that requirement, and how
> well its observed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sam (acutely aware he never did a trip report for the last time he went on
> a long European trip)

Thank you to all the respondents. I shall be sending one of my travelling
companions out for a jumbo pack of FFP2s.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: FFP2 on trains

<101hhhtj8u09h2ba62c3mef3417pree6h2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39575&group=uk.railway#39575

From: recliner...@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 12:46:11 +0100
 by: Recliner - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 11:46 UTC

On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 11:41:03 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> I, and a bunch of friends, are going on a trip to Italy and back by train -
>> Edinburgh-Paris, Paris-Munich, Munich-Bolzano, Verona-Lausanne,
>> Lausanne-Paris, Paris-Edinburgh. The reservations for the legs through
>> Germany say:
>>
>> “Please wear an FFP2 mask. You are legally required to do so.”
>>
>> Does anyone here know how seriously they take that requirement, and how
>> well its observed?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sam (acutely aware he never did a trip report for the last time he went on
>> a long European trip)
>>

>Thank you to all the respondents. I shall be sending one of my travelling
>companions out for a jumbo pack of FFP2s.

I bought this pack a few months ago:
<https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09J92GRXR/>

They're disposable, but seem quite durable, and I've worn each one multiple times.

Re: FFP2 on trains

<tfa1nj$7nj6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39584&group=uk.railway#39584

From: new...@hartig-mantel.de (Rolf Mantel)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 14:10:30 +0200
 by: Rolf Mantel - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 12:10 UTC

Am 07.09.2022 um 13:46 schrieb Recliner:
> On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 11:41:03 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I, and a bunch of friends, are going on a trip to Italy and back by train -
>>> Edinburgh-Paris, Paris-Munich, Munich-Bolzano, Verona-Lausanne,
>>> Lausanne-Paris, Paris-Edinburgh. The reservations for the legs through
>>> Germany say:
>>>
>>> “Please wear an FFP2 mask. You are legally required to do so.”
>>>
>>> Does anyone here know how seriously they take that requirement, and how
>>> well its observed?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Sam (acutely aware he never did a trip report for the last time he went on
>>> a long European trip)
>>>

>> Thank you to all the respondents. I shall be sending one of my travelling
>> companions out for a jumbo pack of FFP2s.
>
> I bought this pack a few months ago:
> <https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09J92GRXR/>
>
> They're disposable, but seem quite durable, and I've worn each one multiple times.

I tend to use one fresh FFP2 mask per week, and I get them for free from
my employer.

Re: FFP2 on trains

<tfa2m9$7qsd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39589&group=uk.railway#39589

From: ukr...@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2022 12:26:49 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:XsfTdiJwA9hqK9HIqaFCYRRDq9U=
 by: Sam Wilson - Wed, 7 Sep 2022 12:26 UTC

Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:
> Am 07.09.2022 um 13:46 schrieb Recliner:
>> On Wed, 7 Sep 2022 11:41:03 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
>> <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Thank you to all the respondents. I shall be sending one of my travelling
>>> companions out for a jumbo pack of FFP2s.
>>
>> I bought this pack a few months ago:
>> <https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09J92GRXR/>
>>
>> They're disposable, but seem quite durable, and I've worn each one multiple times.
>
> I tend to use one fresh FFP2 mask per week, and I get them for free from
> my employer.

Thanks for those steers. Perhaps the pack (for 6 travellers) need not be
so jumbo after all.

Sam