Trying to establish voice contact ... please ____yell into keyboard.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Smart TV

SubjectAuthor
* Smart TVpinnerite
+- Re: Smart TVJeff Layman
+- Re: Smart TVDavid Wade
+- Re: Smart TVBrian Gregory
+* Re: Smart TVWilf
|`* Re: Smart TVR. Mark Clayton
| `* Re: Smart TVDavid Wade
|  `* Re: Smart TVR. Mark Clayton
|   `* Re: Smart TVDavid Wade
|    `* Re: Smart TVR. Mark Clayton
|     `* Re: Smart TVDavid Wade
|      `* Re: Smart TVR. Mark Clayton
|       `- Re: Smart TVDavid Wade
+- Re: Smart TVMartin
`- Re: Smart TVBrian Gaff

1
Smart TV

<20230106201927.f948aa26f8d8f0eb1875ef6f@gmail.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39038&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39038

From: pinner...@gmail.com (pinnerite)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Smart TV
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 20:19:27 +0000
 by: pinnerite - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 20:19 UTC

Not long after I bought a Samsung "Smart TV", ITV hub ceased to be
available. Then last year I read something similar was taking place(!).

Given that the TV runs under Linux, surely a software upgrade would
have enabled us geratrics to contiue to enjoy streamed ITV programmes?

Why haven't there been mass protests in 'er wherever Samsung hangs out?

--
Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-132-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of

Re: Smart TV

<tpa6i4$340hu$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39043&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39043

From: Jef...@invalid.invalid (Jeff Layman)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Smart TV
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 22:15:32 +0000
 by: Jeff Layman - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 22:15 UTC

On 06/01/2023 20:19, pinnerite wrote:

> Not long after I bought a Samsung "Smart TV", ITV hub ceased to be
> available. Then last year I read something similar was taking place(!).
>
> Given that the TV runs under Linux, surely a software upgrade would
> have enabled us geratrics to contiue to enjoy streamed ITV programmes?

I checked my Panasonic earlier this evening and found the ITV app had
changed to ITVX. Not sure when it was updated, but I didn't do it
manually and autoupdate is disabled.

> Why haven't there been mass protests in 'er wherever Samsung hangs out?

--

Jeff

Re: Smart TV

<tpa8ki$39ahp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39044&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39044

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2023 22:50:58 +0000
 by: David Wade - Fri, 6 Jan 2023 22:50 UTC

On 06/01/2023 20:19, pinnerite wrote:

> Not long after I bought a Samsung "Smart TV", ITV hub ceased to be
> available. Then last year I read something similar was taking place(!).

define "not long after". The hub works on post 2015 Samsung TVs so
hardly "recent"

> Given that the TV runs under Linux, surely a software upgrade would
> have enabled us geratrics to contiue to enjoy streamed ITV programmes?
>
> Why haven't there been mass protests in 'er wherever Samsung hangs out?

I believe its the same thing. New protection then rename the app.
lots of alternatives that go into the HDMI port, so Chromecast,
Firestick, Android box, YouView box.

Many like me will have an external PVR so thats not an issue.

I think we expect apps to disappear from TVs. It seems to happen all the
time. My LG has lost many over the years.

Dave

Re: Smart TV

<k1s6huFsi8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39045&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39045

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 03:17:18 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 03:17 UTC

On 06/01/2023 20:19, pinnerite wrote:

> Not long after I bought a Samsung "Smart TV", ITV hub ceased to be
> available. Then last year I read something similar was taking place(!).
>
> Given that the TV runs under Linux, surely a software upgrade would
> have enabled us geratrics to contiue to enjoy streamed ITV programmes?
>
> Why haven't there been mass protests in 'er wherever Samsung hangs out?

I think Samsung TVs run Tizen.

So in the same way that you can't run any old Linux app on an Android
phone you can't run any old Linux app on a Samsung TV either.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: Smart TV

<tpbdp2$3fd8i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39047&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39047

From: wil...@postingx.uk (Wilf)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 09:24:49 +0000
 by: Wilf - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 09:24 UTC

On 06/01/2023 at 20:19, pinnerite wrote:

> Not long after I bought a Samsung "Smart TV", ITV hub ceased to be
> available. Then last year I read something similar was taking place(!).
>
> Given that the TV runs under Linux, surely a software upgrade would
> have enabled us geratrics to contiue to enjoy streamed ITV programmes?
>
> Why haven't there been mass protests in 'er wherever Samsung hangs out?

If your Samsung Smart TV is as old as mine, c. 2014, you'll probably
have found that most of the useful apps have disappeared from the Smart
Hub which is now a rather Dumb Hub. Instead of buying a new TV, I now
use an Amazon Fire Stick which inserts into one of the TV's HDMI ports
and provides all the apps you're likely to need, including ITVX.
--
Wilf

Re: Smart TV

<67kirhtvl2ti82kbg19utpejdofis6r003@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39049&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39049

From: me...@address.invalid (Martin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 12:01:50 +0100
 by: Martin - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 11:01 UTC

On Fri, 6 Jan 2023 20:19:27 +0000, pinnerite <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote:

>Not long after I bought a Samsung "Smart TV", ITV hub ceased to be
>available. Then last year I read something similar was taking place(!).
>
>Given that the TV runs under Linux, surely a software upgrade would
>have enabled us geratrics to contiue to enjoy streamed ITV programmes?
>
>Why haven't there been mass protests in 'er wherever Samsung hangs out?

Samsung doesn't update devices that are more than two years old.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Re: Smart TV

<tpbp1p$3gjo0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39050&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39050

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 12:37:07 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 12:37 UTC

I have not checked but Samsung put out a software update a couple of weeks
ago.
One of the biggest annoyances is the lack on many apps on TVS of any way to
get AD, It is often an option, but the app writers despite having voice for
menus and AD, seem to completely miss the point about why its there. If it
had been designed in to start with, then it would not have cost them a bean.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"pinnerite" <pinnerite@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Not long after I bought a Samsung "Smart TV", ITV hub ceased to be
> available. Then last year I read something similar was taking place(!).
>
> Given that the TV runs under Linux, surely a software upgrade would
> have enabled us geratrics to contiue to enjoy streamed ITV programmes?
>
> Why haven't there been mass protests in 'er wherever Samsung hangs out?
>

> --
> Mint 20.3, kernel 5.4.0-132-generic, Cinnamon 5.2.7
> running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 16GB of
> DRAM.

Re: Smart TV

<3e439719-b568-442a-ac19-3ee6e5d171cbn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39056&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39056

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 08:09:35 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 16:09 UTC

On Saturday, 7 January 2023 at 09:24:51 UTC, Wilf wrote:
> On 06/01/2023 at 20:19, pinnerite wrote:
> >
> > Not long after I bought a Samsung "Smart TV", ITV hub ceased to be
> > available. Then last year I read something similar was taking place(!).
> >
> > Given that the TV runs under Linux, surely a software upgrade would
> > have enabled us geratrics to contiue to enjoy streamed ITV programmes?
> >
> > Why haven't there been mass protests in 'er wherever Samsung hangs out?
> >

> If your Samsung Smart TV is as old as mine, c. 2014, you'll probably
> have found that most of the useful apps have disappeared from the Smart
> Hub which is now a rather Dumb Hub. Instead of buying a new TV, I now
> use an Amazon Fire Stick which inserts into one of the TV's HDMI ports
> and provides all the apps you're likely to need, including ITVX.
> --
> Wilf

We got a Samsung "smart TV" for the kitchen in 2016. Whilst not dumb, it certainly ain't smart.

The biggest annoyance [for my partner], who likes cookery programs, is that if a recipe is available online, the TV can't display its PDF on screen.

The TV is otherwise OK, but the poor 'Smarts' meant when it came time to buy a big TV for the lounge, it wasn't a Samsung.

Re: Smart TV

<tpcmrq$3jhcf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39060&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39060

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 21:06:03 +0000
 by: David Wade - Sat, 7 Jan 2023 21:06 UTC

On 07/01/2023 16:09, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> On Saturday, 7 January 2023 at 09:24:51 UTC, Wilf wrote:
>> On 06/01/2023 at 20:19, pinnerite wrote:
>>>
>>> Not long after I bought a Samsung "Smart TV", ITV hub ceased to be
>>> available. Then last year I read something similar was taking place(!).
>>>
>>> Given that the TV runs under Linux, surely a software upgrade would
>>> have enabled us geratrics to contiue to enjoy streamed ITV programmes?
>>>
>>> Why haven't there been mass protests in 'er wherever Samsung hangs out?
>>>

>> If your Samsung Smart TV is as old as mine, c. 2014, you'll probably
>> have found that most of the useful apps have disappeared from the Smart
>> Hub which is now a rather Dumb Hub. Instead of buying a new TV, I now
>> use an Amazon Fire Stick which inserts into one of the TV's HDMI ports
>> and provides all the apps you're likely to need, including ITVX.
>> --
>> Wilf
>
> We got a Samsung "smart TV" for the kitchen in 2016. Whilst not dumb, it certainly ain't smart.
>
> The biggest annoyance [for my partner], who likes cookery programs, is that if a recipe is available online, the TV can't display its PDF on screen.
>
> The TV is otherwise OK, but the poor 'Smarts' meant when it came time to buy a big TV for the lounge, it wasn't a Samsung.

I suspect you will be disappointed whatever the choice...

I swapped from LG to Samsung as the LG did not have a full range of
players, and when you pressed program guide the existing channel
disappeared....

.... the Samsung solved these problems but it has other, but I would be
very surprised if you can find a TV that can display PDF files.

If you can copy and paste URLs then perhaps:-

https://www.sejda.com/pdf-reader

would work...

Dave

Re: Smart TV

<343f8e24-6476-41e9-be5c-4596be9e7007n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39064&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39064

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 04:30:52 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 12:30 UTC

On Saturday, 7 January 2023 at 21:06:04 UTC, David Wade wrote:
> On 07/01/2023 16:09, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

> >> If your Samsung Smart TV is as old as mine, c. 2014, you'll probably
> >> have found that most of the useful apps have disappeared from the Smart
> >> Hub which is now a rather Dumb Hub. Instead of buying a new TV, I now
> >> use an Amazon Fire Stick which inserts into one of the TV's HDMI ports
> >> and provides all the apps you're likely to need, including ITVX.
> >> --
> >> Wilf
> >
> > We got a Samsung "smart TV" for the kitchen in 2016. Whilst not dumb, it certainly ain't smart.
> >
> > The biggest annoyance [for my partner], who likes cookery programs, is that if a recipe is available online, the TV can't display its PDF on screen.
> >
> > The TV is otherwise OK, but the poor 'Smarts' meant when it came time to buy a big TV for the lounge, it wasn't a Samsung.
> I suspect you will be disappointed whatever the choice...
>
> I swapped from LG to Samsung as the LG did not have a full range of
> players, and when you pressed program guide the existing channel
> disappeared....
>
> ... the Samsung solved these problems but it has other, but I would be
> very surprised if you can find a TV that can display PDF files.
>
> If you can copy and paste URLs then perhaps:-
>
> https://www.sejda.com/pdf-reader
>
> would work...
>
> Dave

I will check our main TV (Toshiba), however all four mainstream browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox & IE11) will display PDF's in a web page.
As Chrome will run on [full] Android, I would assume that Sony, Philips and some others will do this.

Re: Smart TV

<tpes5c$3si5a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39072&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39072

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2023 16:48:44 +0000
 by: David Wade - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 16:48 UTC

On 08/01/2023 12:30, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> On Saturday, 7 January 2023 at 21:06:04 UTC, David Wade wrote:

>>> We got a Samsung "smart TV" for the kitchen in 2016. Whilst not dumb, it certainly ain't smart.
>>>
>>> The biggest annoyance [for my partner], who likes cookery programs, is that if a recipe is available online, the TV can't display its PDF on screen.
>>>
>>> The TV is otherwise OK, but the poor 'Smarts' meant when it came time to buy a big TV for the lounge, it wasn't a Samsung.
>> I suspect you will be disappointed whatever the choice...
>>
>> I swapped from LG to Samsung as the LG did not have a full range of
>> players, and when you pressed program guide the existing channel
>> disappeared....
>>
>> ... the Samsung solved these problems but it has other, but I would be
>> very surprised if you can find a TV that can display PDF files.
>>
>> If you can copy and paste URLs then perhaps:-
>>
>> https://www.sejda.com/pdf-reader
>>
>> would work...
>>
>> Dave
>
> I will check our main TV (Toshiba), however all four mainstream browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox & IE11) will display PDF's in a web page.
> As Chrome will run on [full] Android, I would assume that Sony, Philips and some others will do this.

IE 11 a "Mainstream browser". Its being removed from most PC's by
Microsoft. I did check and the latest Sony appear to be able to do this,
but my TVs have cut down browsers,....

Re: Smart TV

<875ce16d-24d0-4f9c-82f1-1eddb3094672n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39079&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39079

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 05:05:20 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Mon, 9 Jan 2023 13:05 UTC

On Sunday, 8 January 2023 at 16:48:46 UTC, David Wade wrote:
> On 08/01/2023 12:30, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
SNIP

> > I will check our main TV (Toshiba), however all four mainstream browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox & IE11) will display PDF's in a web page.
> > As Chrome will run on [full] Android, I would assume that Sony, Philips and some others will do this.
> IE 11 a "Mainstream browser". Its being removed from most PC's by
> Microsoft.

IE11 - deprecated, but not removed. It still does some things Edge and the others won't. OTOH it hangs occasionally.

> I did check and the latest Sony appear to be able to do this,

Thanks for confirming my "guess".

> but my TVs have cut down browsers,....

Likewise, so misdesription?

Re: Smart TV

<tpjcid$gm4q$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39083&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39083

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 09:53:16 +0000
 by: David Wade - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 09:53 UTC

On 09/01/2023 13:05, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 January 2023 at 16:48:46 UTC, David Wade wrote:
>> On 08/01/2023 12:30, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> SNIP
>>>
>>> I will check our main TV (Toshiba), however all four mainstream browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox & IE11) will display PDF's in a web page.
>>> As Chrome will run on [full] Android, I would assume that Sony, Philips and some others will do this.
>> IE 11 a "Mainstream browser". Its being removed from most PC's by
>> Microsoft.
>
> IE11 - deprecated, but not removed. It still does some things Edge and the others won't. OTOH it hangs occasionally.

Mis-read the blurb. It will be disabled in Feb on in-support pcs

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/internet-explorer-11-desktop-app-retirement-faq/ba-p/2366549

>> I did check and the latest Sony appear to be able to do this,
>
> Thanks for confirming my "guess".
>
>> but my TVs have cut down browsers,....
>
> Likewise, so misdesription?

Re: Smart TV

<393a45b9-dbcb-453d-8b16-94846c230f12n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39114&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39114

Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 06:18:39 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalck...@gmail.com (R. Mark Clayton)
 by: R. Mark Clayton - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 14:18 UTC

On Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 09:53:18 UTC, David Wade wrote:
> On 09/01/2023 13:05, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> > On Sunday, 8 January 2023 at 16:48:46 UTC, David Wade wrote:
> >> On 08/01/2023 12:30, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> > SNIP

> >> IE 11 a "Mainstream browser". Its being removed from most PC's by
> >> Microsoft.
> >
> > IE11 - deprecated, but not removed. It still does some things Edge and the others won't. OTOH it hangs occasionally.
> Mis-read the blurb. It will be disabled in Feb on in-support pcs
>
> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/internet-explorer-11-desktop-app-retirement-faq/ba-p/2366549

Shame - menus, RSS, search website etc. are features in IE11 and either absent or messy to access in Edge.

> >> I did check and the latest Sony appear to be able to do this,
> >
> > Thanks for confirming my "guess".
> >
> >> but my TVs have cut down browsers,....
> >
> > Likewise, so misdesription?

Re: Smart TV

<tpjukr$ij98$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39117&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39117

From: g4u...@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 15:01:46 +0000
 by: David Wade - Tue, 10 Jan 2023 15:01 UTC

On 10/01/2023 14:18, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> On Tuesday, 10 January 2023 at 09:53:18 UTC, David Wade wrote:
>>> SNIP

>>> IE11 - deprecated, but not removed. It still does some things Edge and the others won't. OTOH it hangs occasionally.
>> Mis-read the blurb. It will be disabled in Feb on in-support pcs
>>
>> https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-it-pro-blog/internet-explorer-11-desktop-app-retirement-faq/ba-p/2366549
>
> Shame - menus, RSS, search website etc. are features in IE11 and either absent or messy to access in Edge.

I gave up on a browser for RSS and use Outlook. It looks like
Thunderbird will also work.

>>> Thanks for confirming my "guess".

>>> Likewise, so misdesription?

Depends on your point of view. I would say the only non-optional file
format is HTML and they do that.

Dave

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Re: Smart TV