It is no wonder that people are so horrible when they start life as children. -- Kingsley Amis

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / ITV X ?

SubjectAuthor
* ITV X ?Davey
`* Re: ITV X ?JNugent
 `* Re: ITV X ?Davey
  `* Re: ITV X ?Brian Gregory
   +- Re: ITV X ?Davey
   `* Re: ITV X ?Woody
    `* Re: ITV X ?Brian Gregory
     `* Re: ITV X ?Davey
      `* Re: ITV X ?Woody
       +- Re: ITV X ?Davey
       `* Re: ITV X ?Brian Gaff
        `- Re: ITV X ?Brian Gregory

1
ITV X ?

<tr5nnf$2nvuf$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39436&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39436

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: ITV X ?
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 12:10:23 +0000
 by: Davey - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 12:10 UTC

(Moved from u.t.telecom).

I am confused by this. I already had a working ITV Hub on my Humax, and
recently I went through the process of signing up for ITV X. It all
appeared to go well.
But now I still have ITV Hub, it says when I fire it up, it has
everything that I expected, loads of programmes etc.
What is the story? Do I not have ITV X, or do I, but they never changed
the log from ITV Hub, or what? How do I tell? Should I have more stuff
available than I do?

--
Davey.

Re: ITV X ?

<k3ndj7FifkvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39441&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39441

From: jennings...@mail.com (JNugent)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: ITV X ?
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:19:19 +0000
 by: JNugent - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:19 UTC

On 29/01/2023 12:10 pm, Davey wrote:

> (Moved from u.t.telecom).
>
> I am confused by this. I already had a working ITV Hub on my Humax, and
> recently I went through the process of signing up for ITV X. It all
> appeared to go well.
> But now I still have ITV Hub, it says when I fire it up, it has
> everything that I expected, loads of programmes etc.
> What is the story? Do I not have ITV X, or do I, but they never changed
> the log from ITV Hub, or what? How do I tell? Should I have more stuff
> available than I do?

The on screen display will (I think) only change to ITVX if there is an
app which can be downloaded (automatically) and work with your TV or
other device.

We have a smart TV which works without any exterior devices. It has been
changed over to ITVX without any input from us

We also have a TV with an Amazon Firestick. That too has changed to ITVX.

Another set, in a bedroom, has catch-up provided by apps on a PVR. That
PVR apparently does not try to download new apps or versions. It's
showing all the content, but still branded as ITV Hub.

Your experience may differ, of course.

Re: ITV X ?

<tr64qo$2qqoj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39442&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39442

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 15:54:00 +0000
 by: Davey - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 15:54 UTC

On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:19:19 +0000
JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:

> On 29/01/2023 12:10 pm, Davey wrote:
>
> > (Moved from u.t.telecom).
> >
> > I am confused by this. I already had a working ITV Hub on my Humax,
> > and recently I went through the process of signing up for ITV X. It
> > all appeared to go well.
> > But now I still have ITV Hub, it says when I fire it up, it has
> > everything that I expected, loads of programmes etc.
> > What is the story? Do I not have ITV X, or do I, but they never
> > changed the log from ITV Hub, or what? How do I tell? Should I have
> > more stuff available than I do?
>
> The on screen display will (I think) only change to ITVX if there is
> an app which can be downloaded (automatically) and work with your TV
> or other device.
>
> We have a smart TV which works without any exterior devices. It has
> been changed over to ITVX without any input from us
>
> We also have a TV with an Amazon Firestick. That too has changed to
> ITVX.
>
> Another set, in a bedroom, has catch-up provided by apps on a PVR.
> That PVR apparently does not try to download new apps or versions.
> It's showing all the content, but still branded as ITV Hub.
>
> Your experience may differ, of course.

That lat one is pretty much what I see on mine, which I updated to
ITV X bit still displays as ITV Hub. Oh well.
But what I don't know is: am I missing anything that a full
installation of ITV X should have?
Hmm.

--
Davey.

Re: ITV X ?

<k3no1sFjv8hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39443&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39443

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 17:17:48 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 17:17 UTC

On 29/01/2023 15:54, Davey wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:19:19 +0000
> JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 29/01/2023 12:10 pm, Davey wrote:
>>
>>> (Moved from u.t.telecom).
>>>
>>> I am confused by this. I already had a working ITV Hub on my Humax,
>>> and recently I went through the process of signing up for ITV X. It
>>> all appeared to go well.
>>> But now I still have ITV Hub, it says when I fire it up, it has
>>> everything that I expected, loads of programmes etc.
>>> What is the story? Do I not have ITV X, or do I, but they never
>>> changed the log from ITV Hub, or what? How do I tell? Should I have
>>> more stuff available than I do?
>>
>> The on screen display will (I think) only change to ITVX if there is
>> an app which can be downloaded (automatically) and work with your TV
>> or other device.
>>
>> We have a smart TV which works without any exterior devices. It has
>> been changed over to ITVX without any input from us
>>
>> We also have a TV with an Amazon Firestick. That too has changed to
>> ITVX.
>>
>> Another set, in a bedroom, has catch-up provided by apps on a PVR.
>> That PVR apparently does not try to download new apps or versions.
>> It's showing all the content, but still branded as ITV Hub.
>>
>> Your experience may differ, of course.
>
> That lat one is pretty much what I see on mine, which I updated to
> ITV X bit still displays as ITV Hub. Oh well.
> But what I don't know is: am I missing anything that a full
> installation of ITV X should have?
> Hmm.

As far as I can see from reading about it online the main extra thing
you get is that if you pay for a ITV X premium you get access to
Britbox. There may be no difference if you don't pay, it certainly seems
like that from what I have read.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: ITV X ?

<tr6eo7$2sg4l$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39444&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39444

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 18:43:19 +0000
 by: Davey - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 18:43 UTC

On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 17:17:48 +0000
Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

> On 29/01/2023 15:54, Davey wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:19:19 +0000
> > JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:

> >> The on screen display will (I think) only change to ITVX if there
> >> is an app which can be downloaded (automatically) and work with
> >> your TV or other device.
> >>
> >> We have a smart TV which works without any exterior devices. It has
> >> been changed over to ITVX without any input from us
> >>
> >> We also have a TV with an Amazon Firestick. That too has changed to
> >> ITVX.
> >>
> >> Another set, in a bedroom, has catch-up provided by apps on a PVR.
> >> That PVR apparently does not try to download new apps or versions.
> >> It's showing all the content, but still branded as ITV Hub.
> >>
> >> Your experience may differ, of course.
> >
> > That lat one is pretty much what I see on mine, which I updated to
> > ITV X bit still displays as ITV Hub. Oh well.
> > But what I don't know is: am I missing anything that a full
> > installation of ITV X should have?
> > Hmm.
> >

> As far as I can see from reading about it online the main extra thing
> you get is that if you pay for a ITV X premium you get access to
> Britbox. There may be no difference if you don't pay, it certainly
> seems like that from what I have read.

That is reassuring, thanks. I could not find anything that I was
supposedly missing, so why such a palaver to sign up and upgrade? They
make it sound more than it is (now there's a thought!).
Friends of mine say they "cannot get the extra channels working", I
don't know what they mean, so I'll go over there sometime and see if I
can make any sense of it.
--
Davey.

Re: ITV X ?

<tr6jp3$2td4q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39445&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39445

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 20:09:07 +0000
 by: Woody - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 20:09 UTC

On Sun 29/01/2023 17:17, Brian Gregory wrote:
> On 29/01/2023 15:54, Davey wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 14:19:19 +0000
>> JNugent <jenningsandco@mail.com> wrote:

>>> The on screen display will (I think) only change to ITVX if there is
>>> an app which can be downloaded (automatically) and work with your TV
>>> or other device.
>>>
>>> We have a smart TV which works without any exterior devices. It has
>>> been changed over to ITVX without any input from us
>>>
>>> We also have a TV with an Amazon Firestick. That too has changed to
>>> ITVX.
>>>
>>> Another set, in a bedroom, has catch-up provided by apps on a PVR.
>>> That PVR apparently does not try to download new apps or versions.
>>> It's showing all the content, but still branded as ITV Hub.
>>>
>>> Your experience may differ, of course.
>>
>> That lat one is pretty much what I see on mine, which I updated to
>> ITV X bit still displays as ITV Hub. Oh well.
>> But what I don't know is: am I missing anything that a full
>> installation of ITV X should have?
>> Hmm.
>>

> As far as I can see from reading about it online the main extra thing
> you get is that if you pay for a ITV X premium you get access to
> Britbox. There may be no difference if you don't pay, it certainly seems
> like that from what I have read.

Although I admit I haven't read the ITVX T's and C's but if it is
anything like its predecessor you will have to pay a monthly charge to
watch without adverts, otherwise adverts are thrown around willy nilly.

Re: ITV X ?

<k3o5gsFm37mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39447&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39447

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:07:40 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:07 UTC

On 29/01/2023 20:09, Woody wrote:
> On Sun 29/01/2023 17:17, Brian Gregory wrote:
>> On 29/01/2023 15:54, Davey wrote:

>>> That lat one is pretty much what I see on mine, which I updated to
>>> ITV X bit still displays as ITV Hub. Oh well.
>>> But what I don't know is: am I missing anything that a full
>>> installation of ITV X should have?
>>> Hmm.
>>>

>> As far as I can see from reading about it online the main extra thing
>> you get is that if you pay for a ITV X premium you get access to
>> Britbox. There may be no difference if you don't pay, it certainly
>> seems like that from what I have read.
>>

> Although I admit I haven't read the ITVX T's and C's but if it is
> anything like its predecessor you will have to pay a monthly charge to
> watch without adverts, otherwise adverts are thrown around willy nilly.

That is my understanding too.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).

Re: ITV X ?

<tr6u4h$2vb8q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39448&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39448

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2023 23:05:53 +0000
 by: Davey - Sun, 29 Jan 2023 23:05 UTC

On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:07:40 +0000
Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

> On 29/01/2023 20:09, Woody wrote:

> >> As far as I can see from reading about it online the main extra
> >> thing you get is that if you pay for a ITV X premium you get
> >> access to Britbox. There may be no difference if you don't pay, it
> >> certainly seems like that from what I have read.
> >>

> > Although I admit I haven't read the ITVX T's and C's but if it is
> > anything like its predecessor you will have to pay a monthly charge
> > to watch without adverts, otherwise adverts are thrown around willy
> > nilly.
>
> That is my understanding too.

And naturally, you can't fast forward through them.
--
Davey.

Re: ITV X ?

<tr81ms$37mn9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39451&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39451

From: harroga...@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 09:12:59 +0000
 by: Woody - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 09:12 UTC

On Sun 29/01/2023 23:05, Davey wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:07:40 +0000
> Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

>>> Although I admit I haven't read the ITVX T's and C's but if it is
>>> anything like its predecessor you will have to pay a monthly charge
>>> to watch without adverts, otherwise adverts are thrown around willy
>>> nilly.
>>
>> That is my understanding too.
>>

> And naturally, you can't fast forward through them.

I did find one thing though, at least I think I did. You can step
through the prog on the time bar to very close to the end (if you are
good at it you might hit the credits!) Let it run to the very end, then
use the time bar to go back to the beginning and you will be able to
watch the programme uninterrupted. I can't remember whether that is
without adverts or just that you can step forward through them.

Re: ITV X ?

<tr85l2$389db$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39456&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39456

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 10:20:18 +0000
 by: Davey - Mon, 30 Jan 2023 10:20 UTC

On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 09:12:59 +0000
Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Sun 29/01/2023 23:05, Davey wrote:
> > On Sun, 29 Jan 2023 21:07:40 +0000
> > Brian Gregory <void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid> wrote:

> >> That is my understanding too.
> >>

> > And naturally, you can't fast forward through them.
>
> I did find one thing though, at least I think I did. You can step
> through the prog on the time bar to very close to the end (if you are
> good at it you might hit the credits!) Let it run to the very end,
> then use the time bar to go back to the beginning and you will be
> able to watch the programme uninterrupted. I can't remember whether
> that is without adverts or just that you can step forward through
> them.

Hmm, I'll give that a go. I watched a programme last night, and after
about an hour, it froze. From that point on, every few minutes, I had
to Exit, restart ITVX, and tell it to Start from the Beginning, at
which point it would Resume. Most odd, but at least I was able to watch
the programme, eventually. I just had to work out the secret code to
make it work.

--
Davey.

Re: ITV X ?

<trb0ra$3qa6l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39510&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39510

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 12:16:40 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 12:16 UTC

How much of the content is audio described? Is it easy to find and can it
be used with voice systems on the TV? The answer to the latter seems to be
no, but the former seems not to be obvious, since without the second, I'd
have to use a pc and browser to listen to the pages.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

<k3sj7qFcd9kU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39511&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39511

From: void-inv...@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2023 13:26:18 +0000
 by: Brian Gregory - Tue, 31 Jan 2023 13:26 UTC

Probably not any practical help to you, but on the Sky EPG, audio
description is identified by [AD] at the end of the description, (in
practice it's likely to be part of a combination of things in square
brackets like [HD,S,AD]).

--
Brian Gregory (in England).