If you had any brains, you'd be dangerous.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Shortened iPlayer episode/

SubjectAuthor
* Shortened iPlayer episode/Davey
+* Re: Shortened iPlayer episode/Brian Gaff
|`* Re: Shortened iPlayer episode/MB
| `* Re: Shortened iPlayer episode/Davey
|  `- Re: Shortened iPlayer episode/Muttley
`- Re: Shortened iPlayer episode/Davey

1
Shortened iPlayer episode/

<trihcj$1b5ts$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39530&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39530

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Shortened iPlayer episode/
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 08:41:55 +0000
 by: Davey - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 08:41 UTC

The other day, as I was leaving to go to the pub, the TV set was
showing that programme where they put a family's belongings into a
warehouse and sort them all out. The snippet I saw detailed that the
family had over a thousand toys (for 2 children!), 61 coffee mugs, 13
guitars, and well over a thousand hand tools.
Yesterday, wanting to confirm the number of tools they had, I fired up
the BBC iPlayer, but I could not find that part beyond the toys, it was
as though the mugs, the guitars and the tools had been cut out. I am
currently downloading the programme using get-iplayer, in case there is
any difference, but otherwise, I'm stuck and puzzled as to why they
would cut off a couple of seconds of the programme. Weird.
--
Davey.

Re: Shortened iPlayer episode/

<trio9c$1ci88$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39532&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39532

From: brian1g...@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Subject: Re: Shortened iPlayer episode/
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 10:39:35 -0000
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 10:39 UTC

I've noticed stuff like this where bits are missing even on radio. Indeed on
one particular program about blind sport one section was missing, and to bbe
fair to the bbc they said that the music overlay on that item was only given
right to use for the domestic market, so they had to leave it out of the
podcast or Iplayer version.
Now surely this is carrying the legal angle to extremes?

You could hardly take the audio away to pirate the music after all.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Davey" <davey@example.invalid> wrote in message
> The other day, as I was leaving to go to the pub, the TV set was
> showing that programme where they put a family's belongings into a
> warehouse and sort them all out. The snippet I saw detailed that the
> family had over a thousand toys (for 2 children!), 61 coffee mugs, 13
> guitars, and well over a thousand hand tools.
> Yesterday, wanting to confirm the number of tools they had, I fired up
> the BBC iPlayer, but I could not find that part beyond the toys, it was
> as though the mugs, the guitars and the tools had been cut out. I am
> currently downloading the programme using get-iplayer, in case there is
> any difference, but otherwise, I'm stuck and puzzled as to why they
> would cut off a couple of seconds of the programme. Weird.
> --
> Davey.

Re: Shortened iPlayer episode/

<trirso$1d3hr$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39542&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39542

From: MB...@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 11:41:13 +0000
 by: MB - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 11:41 UTC

On 03/02/2023 10:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I've noticed stuff like this where bits are missing even on radio. Indeed on
> one particular program about blind sport one section was missing, and to bbe
> fair to the bbc they said that the music overlay on that item was only given
> right to use for the domestic market, so they had to leave it out of the
> podcast or Iplayer version.
> Now surely this is carrying the legal angle to extremes?

I sometimes set the BT YouView box to record a programme and it just
about always Stops before the end and there no setting to add a few
minutes on the end of a recording.

Re: Shortened iPlayer episode/

<triuhj$1c0tc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39544&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39544

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 12:26:27 +0000
 by: Davey - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 12:26 UTC

On Fri, 3 Feb 2023 11:41:13 +0000
MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

> On 03/02/2023 10:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
> > I've noticed stuff like this where bits are missing even on radio.
> > Indeed on one particular program about blind sport one section was
> > missing, and to bbe fair to the bbc they said that the music
> > overlay on that item was only given right to use for the domestic
> > market, so they had to leave it out of the podcast or Iplayer
> > version. Now surely this is carrying the legal angle to extremes?
>

> I sometimes set the BT YouView box to record a programme and it just
> about always Stops before the end and there no setting to add a few
> minutes on the end of a recording.

No padding system?
--
Davey.

Re: Shortened iPlayer episode/

<trjcti$1gr0o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39548&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39548

From: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2023 16:31:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mutt...@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 3 Feb 2023 16:31 UTC

On Fri, 3 Feb 2023 12:26:27 +0000
Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
>On Fri, 3 Feb 2023 11:41:13 +0000
>MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> On 03/02/2023 10:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> > I've noticed stuff like this where bits are missing even on radio.
>> > Indeed on one particular program about blind sport one section was
>> > missing, and to bbe fair to the bbc they said that the music
>> > overlay on that item was only given right to use for the domestic
>> > market, so they had to leave it out of the podcast or Iplayer
>> > version. Now surely this is carrying the legal angle to extremes?
>>

>> I sometimes set the BT YouView box to record a programme and it just
>> about always Stops before the end and there no setting to add a few
>> minutes on the end of a recording.
>
>No padding system?

We used to have a box like that. I just set it to record the next program
too though that doesn't always work with series record as the next one can
vary, but for a one off program it never failed.

Re: Shortened iPlayer episode/

<trpe7m$2no5n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=39569&group=uk.tech.digital-tv#39569

From: dav...@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.digital-tv
Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2023 23:31:01 +0000
 by: Davey - Sun, 5 Feb 2023 23:31 UTC

On Fri, 3 Feb 2023 08:41:55 +0000
Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

> The other day, as I was leaving to go to the pub, the TV set was
> showing that programme where they put a family's belongings into a
> warehouse and sort them all out. The snippet I saw detailed that the
> family had over a thousand toys (for 2 children!), 61 coffee mugs, 13
> guitars, and well over a thousand hand tools.
> Yesterday, wanting to confirm the number of tools they had, I fired up
> the BBC iPlayer, but I could not find that part beyond the toys, it
> was as though the mugs, the guitars and the tools had been cut out. I
> am currently downloading the programme using get-iplayer, in case
> there is any difference, but otherwise, I'm stuck and puzzled as to
> why they would cut off a couple of seconds of the programme. Weird.

Well, it is there after all. The BBC found it for me. And it says that
the family had 2,174 tools. Not bad! It looks as though I have some
catching up to do.

--
Davey.

aus+uk / uk.tech.digital-tv / Shortened iPlayer episode/